PDA

View Full Version : Offishul Tailgate Drawing Details

Okla-homey
8/24/2008, 02:55 PM
Okay sportsfans, here's the dealio.

(mods, please "unsticky" the earlier post and "sticky" this one.) kplzthx

Stuff To Be Won

We have acquired:

1) A regulation football signed by all three living OU Heisman winners (Owens, Sims and White) that comes with a lexan display case suitable for display in home or office. The sigs are on one panel complete with descriptive markings and OU logos, and the next panel contains each guy's OU stats. This ball in your home or place of business makes a definitive statement to everyone who sees it. I don't feel I need to elaborate on who these guys are because they have flippin' bronze statues of 'em at the stadium fer cryin' out loud.

and

2) An autographed, limited edition print on canvas of all three Selmon brothers in OU uniform in a game setting. The print features Lee Roy (perhaps the greatest OU football player evar...Barry Switzer thinks so) and his brothers Lucious and Dewey, all three native Oklahomans from Eufala. It's beautifully framed and matted, includes an explanatory brass plate already affixed and is ready to hang in home or office. This was part of a specially commissioned project by a local sports memorabilia dealer and there were only 200 made. It is waay cool! Now, in case you're a little fuzzy on seventies Sooner glory...

The Selmon Brothers...Sooner Legends and Makers of Sooner Magic

Lucious Selmon came to Oklahoma from Eufaula High School in 1970, and played nose guard for the Sooners for both Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer. He was a consensus All-American in 1973, and was named Chevrolet/ABC National Defensive Player of the Year, Big 8 Conference Athlete of the Year, and Big 8 Conference Defensive Player of the Year. He finished second in balloting for the Outland Trophy and seventh in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

Selmon's younger brothers, Dewey and Lee Roy, followed him as defensive linemen to Oklahoma. Lucious earned All-American honors in 1973, and Lee Roy and Dewey achieved All-American status in 1974 and 1975, the years that Oklahoma won national championships. Dewey and Lee Roy had great NFL careers at Tampa Bay. Lee Roy won the Outland and Vince Lombardi trophies in 1975 and went on to be the Sooners' first Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee in 1995.

All three brothers were also accomplished students, graduated from OU and Dewey eventually attained a doctorate in philosophy.

Although more than 30 years has passed since the Selmons played for Oklahoma, many Oklahoma fans still say (referring to the Selmon brothers' parents), "God bless Mr. and Mrs. Selmon" or "Thank you, Mrs. Selmon."

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/S/SE009.html

I'll bring both items to the first couple tailgates so y'all can see how cool they are. I will also post a photo of each at some point.

How to Play

Ten bucks = two chances to win one of the two items above.

Preferred: I will be accepting cash from those who want to play at each tailgate. Ten bucks ($10.00) per chance. We will conduct the drawing at the last home game on 11/22, and you need not be present to win. If you aren't, we'll mail your prize to you, and you'll have it in time for Christmas. I promise.

Options for those who can't make games: If you want in and can't make a tailgate, peem me and I'll tell you where to send your money for chances (mi casa). I will then insure your name goes in the hopper just like everyone else who plays.

The Actual Drawing (11/22/08)

When we draw, the first winner, if present, gets his or her choice of the ball or the print, and the second winner gets the remaining item. If the person drawn is not present, we'll do a coin toss to see which item he or she won, and then draw for the remaining item.

What have I forgotten? Questions?

Disclaimer: This is totally for fun. No one is making any money off of this. This drawing is not affliated with or endorsed by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the University of Oklahoma, its Athletic Department, the State of Oklahoma or Lee Corso. So there.

OU4LIFE
8/25/2008, 07:27 AM
Can I make a suggestion?

IMO, since both prizes are pretty equal in stature, I think that if the person drawn first isn't there but the second is, then the person present should get their choice. If neither names drawn are there, then you can do the coin flip.

Should be advantages to be there, just sayin.

thanks for putting this together Homey

Okla-homey
8/25/2008, 07:55 AM
Can I make a suggestion?

IMO, since both prizes are pretty equal in stature, I think that if the person drawn first isn't there but the second is, then the person present should get their choice. If neither names drawn are there, then you can do the coin flip.

Should be advantages to be there, just sayin.

thanks for putting this together Homey

Thank you for your suggestion. We value your opinion. Your suggestion is being forwarded to the secretary of the SF.com Tailgate Drawing Board for consideration of its inclusion on the agenda at their next quarterly meeting. Ordinarily, once placed on the agenda, and after discussion in open session by the Board, proposed rules changes are referred to the Rules subcommittee for study. After the subcommittee publishes its report on the merits of the particular suggestion, the Drawing Board will make a decision. We will of course inform you in writing of that decision and your right to appeal. Thanks again for your interest in the The SF.com Tailgate Drawing Project.

sooner_born_1960
8/25/2008, 07:59 AM
Since all those secretaries, committees, and subcommittees are pretty much one guy, we should expect an answer by about 8:15, right?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/25/2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. We value your opinion. Your suggestion is being forwarded to the secretary of the SF.com Tailgate Drawing Board for consideration of its inclusion on the agenda at their next quarterly meeting. Ordinarily, once placed on the agenda, and after discussion in open session by the Board, proposed rules changes are referred to the Rules subcommittee for study. After the subcommittee publishes its report on the merits of the particular suggestion, the Drawing Board will make a decision. We will of course inform you in writing of that decision and your right to appeal. Thanks again for your interest in the The SF.com Tailgate Drawing Project.

Heh.

That's the official way of saying **** off, dip****.

soonerbrat
8/25/2008, 09:04 AM
can I please win this year?

soonerbrat
8/25/2008, 09:05 AM

that's lawyer talk.

OU4LIFE
8/25/2008, 09:06 AM
can I please win this year?

olevetonahill
8/27/2008, 12:15 PM
2 things come to Mind
#1 How many chances are ya peddlin?
#2 Why cant we just say which one we prefer at the time We buy the chances ?
Have your people Get back with Mine .

Okla-homey
8/27/2008, 12:45 PM
2 things come to Mind
#1 How many chances are ya peddlin?
#2 Why cant we just say which one we prefer at the time We buy the chances ?
Have your people Get back with Mine .

#1: We are peddling as many chances as we can sell.

#2: Thank you for your suggestion. We value your opinion. Your suggestion is being forwarded to the secretary of the SF.com Tailgate Drawing Board for consideration of its inclusion on the agenda at their next quarterly meeting. Ordinarily, once placed on the agenda, and after discussion in open session by the Board, proposed rules changes are referred to the Rules subcommittee for study. After the subcommittee publishes its report on the merits of the particular suggestion, the Drawing Board will make a decision. We will of course inform you in writing of that decision and your right to appeal. Thanks again for your interest in the The SF.com Tailgate Drawing Project.

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 03:59 PM
In the end....these are some sweet consolation prizes. ;)

I'm in Homey.

I do feel the Model T thing got shot down awfully quick. :D ;)

frankensooner
9/1/2008, 07:07 AM
Both were sweet but I liked the Selmon Bros. print the bestest! Thanks for putting this together Homey.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 08:22 AM
I bought two chances at the tailgate this weekend.

The ball is very nice but the Selmon Brothers Art / Autograph is spectacular.

Homey has put together a very nice Grand Prize and a great 2nd prize as well.

Winning either would make my day.

bri
9/7/2008, 10:32 PM
Prizes. We has them.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2838002093_25982abc70_o.jpg

soonermagicgirl
9/8/2008, 08:19 AM
If they draw my number(s) I will take the picture first.

soonerbrat
9/8/2008, 08:24 AM
Ten bucks = two chances?

Okla-homey
9/8/2008, 08:40 AM
Ten bucks = two chances?

yes. we draw twice. if you don't win on the first draw, you can still win on the second.

soonerbrat
9/8/2008, 09:25 AM
right. got it after I posted that. it's MONDAY

dolemitesooner
9/8/2008, 11:25 AM
Drawlings

I have a draw

StoopTroup
9/10/2008, 05:10 PM
It lives!

Okla-homey
11/23/2008, 03:26 PM
After action report:

128 chances sold at $10.00 each. Each chance purchased corresponded to a number, which was written on a penny with a Sharpie. Said 128 pennies were placed in a cup which was shaken vigorously.

The lovely and talented PG drew the numbers.

The first number drawn corresponded to Pic's brother. He wasn't present, so we went to the coin toss to see if he won the print (heads) or the ball (tails).

Tails it was. Pic accepted the ball on his absent brother's behalf.

The next number drawn (for the print) corresponded to Homey's brother from Wichita who was in attendance. Amidst catcalls and shouts of "RIGGED" Homey's brother, who was present, accepted his prize.

Next, the lovely and talented Dean drew two numbers to see who won the fine consolation prizes supplied by OUr own Jaux.

The first one was won by a Cinciinnati fan who attended that tailgate and bought a chance. Dean knows the guy and will make sure he gets his prize.

The other consolation prize was won by OUr own OlVet!

We'll do it again next year, hopefully even bigger. Rumor has it that Doleo has a line on the actual boxer shorts Barry Switzer wore at the Nov. 23, 1974 victory over Nebraska enroute to the 1974 national championship.:D

Xstnlsooner
11/24/2008, 09:19 AM
Yo Homey, where do I send the neat set of ginsu knives I promised ya
for drawring my name???

OU4LIFE
11/24/2008, 10:09 AM
to me.

Xstnlsooner
11/25/2008, 02:48 PM
Oh, I've got the ginsu driver for you Wilson.

OU4LIFE
11/26/2008, 08:33 AM
that sounds like a great idea for a driver...the Ginsu Driver, it's slices, it ....slices? Never needs sharpening...