PDA

View Full Version : Results of Tulsa World reader voting on lots of things...

Okla-homey
8/24/2008, 01:16 PM
U Decide: College Football 2008

By Staff Reports
8/24/2008

We couldn’t wait until November for election results, so all summer long, we’ve been holding elections on topics of interest to Oklahoma college football fans, from the greatest players at Tulsa, OU and OSU to whether there should be a college football playoff. More than 12,000 votes were cast at tulsaworld.com, and here are the final results. And there won’t be any recounts on these.

Should there be a college football playoff?

Eight-team bracket proposal (54 percent of vote): The top eight teams are seeded after the regular season, and the playoffs begin.

Four-team bracket proposal (19 percent): The top four teams are seeded after the regular season. It’s a two-round playoff for the national title.

Plus-one format proposal (14 percent): Teams are ranked after the bowl games, and No. 1 faces No. 2 for the national title.

Keep the current system (13 percent): Rankings determine the top two teams after the regular season. They meet for the national title.

Who is the greatest player in OSU history?

Barry Sanders: 85 percent
Thurman Thomas: 8 percent
Bob Fenimore: 4 percent
Terry Miller: 3 percent
Leslie O’Neal: 0 percent

Who is the greatest player in TU history?

Steve Largent: 43 percent
Jerry Rhome: 21 percent
Paul Smith: 13 percent
Glenn Dobbs: 13 percent
Howard Twilley: 10 percent

What is the best venue for the OU-Texas game?

Cotton Bowl (58 percent): The tradition continues at State Fair Park.
Dallas Cowboys’ new stadium (24 percent): Could be the best football stadium in the world.
Norman and Austin (18 percent): The series would be played on campus.

Who is the best running back in state history?

Barry Sanders (67 percent): OSU, 1986-88
Adrian Peterson (12 percent): OU, 2004-06
Billy Sims (10 percent): OU, 1975-79)
Joe Washington (9 percent): OU, 1972-75
Thurman Thomas (2 percent): OSU, 1984-87

Who is the greatest player in OU history?

Lee Roy Selmon: 56 percent
Steve Owens: 19 percent
Billy Sims: 14 percent
Billy Vessels: 8 percent
Jason White: 3 percent

Who do we love to hate?

Frank Broyles (31 percent): Former Arkansas coach and AD
Nebraska Cornhuskers (25 percent)
Darrell Royal (24 percent): Former Texas head coach
Bill Yeoman (11 percent): Former Houston coach
Peter Gardere (10 percent): Texas quarterback

What is the most memorable game in TU history?

1991 vs. Texas A&M (32 percent): 35-24 Tulsa win
1996 vs. OU (26 percent): 31-24 win
1964 vs. OSU (22 percent): 61-14 rout of the Cowboys
1971 vs. Arkansas (13 percent): 21-20 win
2005 Liberty Bowl (7 percent): 31-24 victory over Fresno State

What is the most memorable game in OSU history?

2001 Bedlam (43 percent): OSU 16, OU 13 in Norman
1985 Bedlam (16 percent): OU 13, OSU 0
1988 Bedlam (16 percent): OU 31, OSU 28
1995 Bedlam (13 percent): OSU 12, OU 0
1984 Gator Bowl (12 percent): OSU 21, S. Carolina 14

Who will be the best quarterback in the state this year?

Sam Bradford, OU: 54 percent
Zac Robinson, OSU: 40 percent
TU’s starter: 6 percent

Who is the best quarterback in state history?

Paul Smith, TU: 71 percent
Jack Mildren, OU: 18 percent
Mike Gundy, OSU: 11 percent

Who is the greatest football family in history?

Burris brothers (72 percent): Paul “Buddy”, Kurt, Lyle and Lynn
Selmon brothers (17 percent): Lee Roy, Lucious and Dewey
Woods brothers (9 percent): Rashaun, D’Juan and Donovan
Dobbs family (1 percent): Bobby, Glenn Jr., Glenn III and Johnny
Gundy brothers (1 percent): Mike and Cale

Who is the best quarterback in TU history?

Paul Smith (62 percent)
Jerry Rhome (26 percent)
Glenn Dobbs (7 percent)
T.J. Rubley (4 percent)
Jeb Blount (1 percent)

Who is the best coach in TU history?

John Cooper (32 percent)
Glenn Dobbs (31 percent)
Steve Kragthorpe (24 percent)
Henry Frnka (10 percent)
Buddy Brothers (2 percent)
Elmer Henderson (1 percent)

Has TU coach Todd Graham fallen short of expectations, met expectations, or exceeded expectations

Exceeded expectations (53 percent)
Met expectations (45 percent)
Fallen short of expectations (2 percent)

Who is the best quarterback in OSU history?

Mike Gundy (47 percent)
Josh Fields (20 percent)
Rusty Hilger (15 percent)
Dick Soergel (10 percent)
Zac Robinson (8 percent)

Who is the best coach in OSU history?

Pat Jones (34 percent)
Jimmy Johnson (32 percent)
Jim Lookabaugh (23 percent)
Les MIles (11 percent)

Has OSU coach Mike Gundy fallen short of expectations, met expectations, or exceeded expectations?

Fallen short of expectations (57 percent):D :D :D
Met expectations (39 percent)
Exceeded expectations (4 percent)

Who is the best quarterback in OU history?

Jack Mildren (40 percent)
Josh Heupel (22 percent)
Jimmy Harris (14 percent)
Jamelle Holieway (12 percent)
Jason White (12 percent)

Who is the best coach in OU history?

Bud Wilkinson (60 percent)
Barry Switzer (35 percent)
Bob Stoops (5 percent)

Has OU coach Bob Stoops fallen short of expectations, met expectations, or exceeded expectations?

Exceeded expectations (41 percent)
Met expectations (35 percent)
Fallen short of expectations (24 percent)

By Staff Reports

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?subjectID=92&articleID=20080824_231_FB4_spa041257

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 01:21 PM
So apparently aggies stuffed this ballot box. I like how 2 of OSU's most classic games are losses to OU.

Okla-homey
8/24/2008, 01:25 PM
So apparently aggies stuffed this ballot box. I like how 2 of OSU's most classic games are losses to OU.

I long ago concluded NE Oklahoma has a disproportionate share of aggy sheephumpers.

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 01:26 PM
Who do we love to hate?

Frank Broyles (31 percent): Former Arkansas coach and AD

:confused:

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 01:28 PM
So apparently aggies stuffed this ballot box.

Tulsa = East Stillwater

That's why there's a tollway going between the two cities. Nobody would pay to go from OKC to Stillwater.

OKC > Tulsa :pop:

badger
8/24/2008, 01:34 PM
Tulsa = East Stillwater

That's why there's a tollway going between the two cities. Nobody would pay to go from OKC to Stillwater.

:mad: You know, there ARE some of us Sooner fans stuck up here in Tulsa (and even Stilly), so please limit your criticism to the Aggies, not the town that happens to host the Aggies. Remember, there might be an OSU-Tulsa, but there's also an OU-Tulsa.

:)

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 01:45 PM
:mad: You know, there ARE some of us Sooner fans stuck up here in Tulsa

That doesn't change the fact that, as Homey pointed out, Tulsa is disproportionately CFO. That is simply an observation.

The underlying basis for that demographic trend might be a source of criticism. Maybe the smell of the oil refineries reminds the ags of Stillwater. :D

A Sooner in Texas
8/24/2008, 01:52 PM
Lots of Razorback support in NE OK, too...I'm from Bartlesville and my parents are Arkie alums. Probably as much hog coverage in the World as there is of the Sooners.

badger
8/24/2008, 01:56 PM
That doesn't change the fact that, as Homey pointed out, Tulsa is disproportionately CFO. That is simply an observation.

The underlying basis for that demographic trend might be a source of criticism. Maybe the smell of the oil refineries reminds the ags of Stillwater. :D

Hey, that smell is ONLY on the way toward the turnpike to OKC, thank you very much. The rest of Tulsa reeks of magnolia blossums and crape myrtles and has choruses of singing little birdies.

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 01:56 PM
Lots of Razorback support in NE OK, too...I'm from Bartlesville and my parents are Arkie alums. Probably as much hog coverage in the World as there is of the Sooners.

Don't tell aggys that. They think no one writes good articles about them.

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:04 PM
Lots of Razorback support in NE OK, too...

I'm seeing a pattern here. Pokey fans, Arkie fans, Tulsa snobs: All delusional about their place in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it's something in the water. ;)

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:06 PM
Hey, that smell is ONLY across the river from our downtown and where we want to put new riverfront development.

:D

badger
8/24/2008, 02:09 PM
Hey, that smell is ONLY across the river from our downtown and where we want to put new riverfront development.:D

Inakrut. Tulsa voted that riverfront development waaaaaay down. It wasn't even CLOSE to passing. Across the river development?! THAT'S NOT TRUE! Garbage. :D

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:10 PM
Inakrut. Tulsa voted that riverfront development waaaaaay down. It wasn't even CLOSE to passing.

You guys better get with the program. Jenks seems to be building all kinds of fancy new stuff in the river flood plain. Or maybe that's Bixby. Hell, I don't know. Down there along one of the toll roads.

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 02:11 PM
You guys better get with the program. Jenks seems to be building all kinds of fancy new stuff in the river flood plain. :cool:

It's nice stuff too.

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:12 PM
It's nice stuff too.

I hope they're building it on stilts.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 02:16 PM
Tulsa = East Stillwater

Keeps the snobby snot out of OKC.

badger
8/24/2008, 02:18 PM
You guys better get with the program. Jenks seems to be building all kinds of fancy new stuff in the river flood plain. Or maybe that's Bixby. Hell, I don't know. Down there along one of the toll roads.

Ok, Norman boy. One second you're poking at our river development (that doesn't exist) because of the smelly river, now you're saying we need to keep up with Jenks and crap.

Now, I'm not going to get into roads discussion with a Normanite, because we all know that come gameday, there will be nothing but ill feelings toward Norman roads, whether you toll them or not. What would be even funnier is if a big ol' train decides to camp on Lindsey St. up through Robinson and nobody can leave early during the fourth quarter cuz of it :D Tulsa may not have streets paved of gold until November's election, but dang it, at least we have streets that have overpasses around the trains!

Now... where does that put this discussion? Well, maybe not to OKC < Tulsa yet, but I'd have to say that it pretty much iterates that:

Tulsa > Norman

:D

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:32 PM
we all know that come gameday, there will be nothing but ill feelings toward Norman roads

I walk to the stadium. :P

badger
8/24/2008, 02:41 PM
I walk to the stadium. :P

:mad: dag nabbit, thwarted again and again :mad:

;)

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 02:48 PM
I stumbled across this over on Orangepower: Oklahoma City Continues To Grow! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2371235&posted=1#post2371235)

The buildings in OKC aren't even half of what Tulsa has.

OKC steals state capitols and interstates.

Now replace "OKC" with "Gooners" and "Tulsa" with "Cowboys", and tell me with a straight face that Tulsa doesn't have an aggy inferiority complex.

It cracks me up that everytime someone makes a post about something going on in OKC, some Tulsan has to put in their two cents about their town. The "little man syndrome" Tulsan's have for OKC cracks me up. I've never seen anything like it.

WHOOP! WHOOP! IRONY ALERT! WHOOP! WHOOP!

I have no dog in the OKC/Tulsa debate, so I'm just an objective observer. From my perspective, arguing about being the best city in Oklahoma is like arguing about being the biggest stud at a Star Trek convention. I hadn't been in Oklahoma even 24 hours as an OU freshman before a Tulsa snob started telling me about how much OKC sucked.

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 02:59 PM
Just remember klatt, OU is near the bottom of the 1st tier of schools. OSU is tier 3. Makes sense that logic is non-existent in their student-and-alumni-base (because they don't have bandwagon fans).

goingoneight
8/24/2008, 03:39 PM

Let me break it down for you...

On senior night, my friend declared in front of the stadium packed on both visitor and home sides he was going to OU. The entire stadium, both sides erupted in boos.

I went to BA, FWIW.

A few weeks later, I went to my friend's seniro night in Bixby... there was a future Sooner and a future Poke (neither of which would play football at the next level). The future Sooner got boos from the home crowd and the future Poke erupted the stadium with cheers. Two other guys I remember saying people criticizing their choices to go to OU were Kejuan Jones and Courtney Tennial... something along the lines of people being complete jerkoffs to him after he signed in February.

You can say what you want about Tulsa or OKC, and you can stick up for them as you may... but Tulsa is full of orange aggy love. You don't have to listen to the Tulsa Sports Animal, nor read the paper very long to get that. I've lived in Tulsa for a long time, trust me. In fact, I found more OU faithful during my time in Dallas than I do normally in Tulsa.

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 03:43 PM
Let me break it down for you...

On senior night, my friend declared in front of the stadium packed on both visitor and home sides he was going to OU. The entire stadium, both sides erupted in boos.

I went to BA, FWIW.

I remember that. I cheered for Zimpel that night. Hell, a big reason why I decided to go to OU was because everyone else was going to that cesspool school.

badger
8/24/2008, 03:45 PM
It's not like I hate OKC, I just feel bad when y'all put down the city I live in. Really, my hometown is still in rural Wisconsin at heart. Alas, those days are gone, but they sure are fun to visit once in awhile :)

Tulsa is not just full of orange aggy love, but also golden hurricane (shower) love for TU and crimson sooner love for OU. We're like a little conglomer-city, a la Dallas. Sure, Dallas is in the state of Texas, but it is full of Aggies, Whorns and Sooners (and maybe some Ricers and Baylors too). And WHAT IS UP with all the OSU crap in the Houston Airport?!

So there, nyah nyah, we're diverse and stuff :P

RiddlerOK
8/24/2008, 07:37 PM
I disagree again badger. After having lived in and attended High School in the Tulsa area, there is no doubt in my mind that the majority of Tulsa area fans are pro-OSU to the max. Nothing has changed since then. Anybody wanting to kid themselves and hide behind the "diversity" word when describing the Tulsa fan base majority is only being delusional. Yes, the proximity of T-Town to Stillwater and, the overwhelming media bias (sans Bill Connors) proves my point.

If it looks like Aggie, smells like Aggie and walks like Aggie, then IT'S AGGIE!!

badger
8/24/2008, 07:54 PM
haha, i will admit that there are many poke fans around, but I don't feel lonely up here. i'm with good sooner company.

Mixer!
8/24/2008, 08:39 PM
So let me get this straight:

aggy's voted for their most memorable game being their 2001 victory over the Sooners, but voted for Pat over :les: as best ever coach; and [hairGel] over Josh Fields as their best ever QB?

Yep, :stunned: isn't delusional in any way, shape, or form. :rolleyes:

sooner518
8/24/2008, 09:05 PM
What is the most memorable game in OSU history?

2001 OU-OSU (43 percent): OSU 16, OU 13 in Norman
1985 OU-OSU (16 percent): OU 13, OSU 0
1988 OU-OSU (16 percent): OU 31, OSU 28
1995 OU-OSU (13 percent): OSU 12, OU 0
1984 Gator Bowl (12 percent): OSU 21, S. Carolina 14

I know this has been pointed out, but 2 of their top 3 most memorable games OF ALL TIME are LOSSES to us. i think my brain is about to explode from too much aggy logic

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 09:10 PM
It's not like I hate OKC, I just feel bad when y'all put down the city I live in.

Aha! That's the inferiority complex setting in. I have never heard anybody trash talk Tulsa except in response to being provoked by a Tulsa snob in the first place. Most of the "OKC > Tulsa" stuff around here is done solely to get a rise out of the hypersensitive Tulsa folks. At least I know that's why I do it.

For the record, Fort Worth > Dallas > Houston >> OKC or Tulsa :texan:

badger
8/24/2008, 09:16 PM
you have to realize that it isn't just aggie fans voting for the most memorable games on that list, but all football fans, aggie or not.

oh, and i have no inferiority complex. lifelong packer fan here. we've won more championships than any other team out there. it's like the sooners of the nfl - winning championships before they called the championship anything BCS, we were winning them before they were called super bowls.

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 09:24 PM
oh, and i have no inferiority complex. lifelong packer fan here.

:les: WHAT'S THAT HAVE TO DO WITH LIVING IN TULSA??

Milwaukee > OKC > Tulsa, except possibly in the winter.

soonersweetie
8/24/2008, 10:07 PM
I haven't lived in the Tulsa area since 1990. (Hopefully that will change soon, but that's another story). Anyway, I find the love for the orange team odd, because from what I remember growing up it seemed predominantly Sooner Country.

How sad that is considered East Stillwater. No wonder my dad tells me how badly he wants us to beat them every year. Maybe it's cause he has to interact with them so much on an everyday basis.

goingoneight
8/24/2008, 10:15 PM
I remember that. I cheered for Zimpel that night. Hell, a big reason why I decided to go to OU was because everyone else was going to that cesspool school.

I'm glad someone remembers that... I was quite offended that a school would boo one of their own like that, especially considering at the time what appeared to be a bright future as a D1 football star. Zimp never hurt anyone or made an *** of himself, he just liked OU.

Eh... what can you do? Sad thing is if aggy didn't hate OU so much, there'd likely be no Bed-lame rivalry at all.

tommieharris91
8/24/2008, 10:28 PM
I'm glad someone remembers that... I was quite offended that a school would boo one of their own like that, especially considering at the time what appeared to be a bright future as a D1 football star. Zimp never hurt anyone or made an *** of himself, he just liked OU.

Eh... what can you do? Sad thing is if OU didn't beat aggy so much, there'd likely be no Bed-a-lamb rivalry at all.

:pop:

Animal Mother
8/25/2008, 11:49 AM
Aha! That's the inferiority complex setting in. I have never heard anybody trash talk Tulsa except in response to being provoked by a Tulsa snob in the first place. Most of the "OKC > Tulsa" stuff around here is done solely to get a rise out of the hypersensitive Tulsa folks. At least I know that's why I do it.

For the record, Fort Worth > Dallas > Houston >> OKC or Tulsa :texan:

People from Tulsa were snobby 30 years ago when I went to OU. I did have watching Mazeppa (my avatar) in common with them so that was cool. The Dallas/Fort Worth dealio gets passed me. I lived in Dallas for six years and now Fort Worth for over three years. Fort Worth is a Hee-Haw convention on every street corner. Dallas is people that believe they’re cosmopolitan but wear belt buckles as big as a Hummer hub cap. What’s the difference? As I see it people drive with a purpose in Dallas and in Fort Worth they drive poorly on purpose because it’s the way they were taught by their parents who drove poorly. O.K. There is that really big dog with antlers the dude leads around on a leash at the Fort Worth Stockyards. He leaves some big pies. That’s a difference. There is a sh!tload more to do in Dallas, especially if you’re talking music. There is no such thing as a concert in Fort Worth.
Dallas roads are bad. Fort Worth has no roads and tries to fix them all on the same day.
O.K. I like Dallas better than Fort Worth.

picasso
8/25/2008, 01:38 PM
how could they leave the Owens out of best football families? They beat the crap out of the Woods boys.