PDA

View Full Version : To all you Bob Barry Sr. haters!!!!!

SoonerKnight
8/24/2008, 06:01 AM
http://newsok.com/bob-barry-sr.-calls-the-action-and-sometimes-takes-the-heat/article/3285950/?tm=1219506551

NORMAN — Bob Barry Sr.'s got it made.
Prime seat for Sooner football — home and away, in the Cotton Bowl for that classic Saturday in October and at locales like Miami and Phoenix and Pasadena and New Orleans for January escapes from the cold.

Oh, and rubbin' elbows with Bob Stoops and the boys.

Cush job, play-by-play voice of the Sooners.

C'mon, you've thought it. Think you can do it, too, don't you?

But wait. It's not as easy as it looks, or sounds.

There's the five guys in Barry's ear at any time. There's the ever-changing challenge of actually seeing the action, with press boxes moving skyward or toward end zones and odd angles.

Spread and no-huddle offenses hasten the pace, both on the field and on the air.

And critics await every slip or stutter, with greater avenues than ever — e-mail, talk radio, message boards — to sound off their complaints.

"Naturally, I make mistakes like we all do,” Barry said. "You talk for three hours you're going to make a few mistakes.”

Barry, also the voice of OU men's basketball, has piled up the hours verbally painting the action for decades.

Handpicked by Bud Wilkinson to call Sooner games in 1961, the 77-year-old Barry's familiar style has called OU and Oklahoma State games ever since.
One of his signatures, and a favorite among fans, is his countdown: "30, 25, 15, 10, 5, Touchdown, Oklahoma.”

"That just happened,” Barry said. "You try to make it live. That's what radio has, it can stir your imagination.”

If you imagine all the fun going on in the press box, forget it.

It's work up there.

"It's very intense,” Barry said. "There's no sitting back saying, ‘Hey, man, what a deal.' Everybody's got a job to do.”

While Barry's voice is prominent, it's a five-man work crew that makes the broadcast sing.

The producer/director runs the show. There's a spotter informing Barry of where the ball is and which players are involved. There's a statistician delivering all the key numbers.

Joining Barry on the air are color man Merv Johnson and sideline reporter Trent Smith.

All five men are wired into Barry's ear.

"It's a team effort,” Barry said.

Progress is requiring more and more effort.

More and more schools realize the opportunity to sell the prime location previously reserved for the media to donors for big money. That's pushing the media upward or outward.

At the Fiesta Bowl, the play-by-play booth is beyond one corner of the end zone, leading Barry to watch action occurring at the other end of the field on one of the stadium big screens.

"Press boxes are getting higher and higher and you're so far away,” Barry said. "Some guy's sitting at home watching television on a 65-inch HDTV and the camera is zooming right in and you're eight miles high.

"You make a missed call and that guy sits there saying, ‘Can't he see that ball?'”

All play-by-play announcers have their critics.

Barry's no different, with some saying his on-air fumbles are increasing along with his age.

Such talk irks Barry's son, television sportscaster and talk radio host Bob Jr.

"Anytime anyone says anything bad about your dad or your mother or your wife or your kids, you bow up,” said Barry Jr. "My issue is, I'm getting older now myself, I'm in my 50s, there are a lot of young people today who are cruel with people who get into their 60s or 70s.

"They just think that's it, they don't have any more worth on this planet. Better to understand the wisdom and value that they have.

"As long as he's fired up about it and it gets him out of the bed in the morning and he wants to go do it, there's a lot of value in what he does. So I find myself bristling about what is a clear case of age discrimination, people saying, ‘Oh, he needs to quit just because he's old.' Well, no he doesn't.”

OUHOMER
8/24/2008, 06:23 AM
His age does not bother me, his mistakes bother me. I assume every play by play guy has 5 guys in his ear.

That being said, when i hear his voice i do know its SOONER TIME:D

SoonerKnight
8/24/2008, 06:36 AM
Exactly. He is the voice of the sooners. I know he makes it hard to follow but it's "Big Bob!"

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 06:40 AM
There's the five guys in Barry's ear at any time.His ear must be as big as Chrissy Sims ahole.

SoonerBorn68
8/24/2008, 07:02 AM
John Brooks ~100 > "big" Bob

batonrougesooner
8/24/2008, 08:05 AM
Exactly. He is the voice of the sooners.

Even after all these years, John Brooks (along with Mike Treps) is the voice of the Sooners.

bringit
8/24/2008, 08:38 AM
Even after all these years, John Brooks (along with Mike Treps) is the voice of the Sooners.

gets my vote

StoopTroup
8/24/2008, 08:47 AM
I like them all...

guzziguy
8/24/2008, 10:52 AM
+1 On Brooks & Treps

I'm old enough to have heard Barry on OU before his long run at OSU. Yet, every time I hear his voice I think OSU, not OU. He's always the voice of the enemy in my mind. That, and he sucks at his job.

I listen to the radio broadcast only when I have to.

With Brooks on the microphone I used to turn off the T V audio and have the radio on for the description. Those days left with the return of bumbling bob.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 10:58 AM
+1 On Brooks & Treps

I'm old enough to have heard Barry on OU before his long run at OSU. Yet, every time I hear his voice I think OSU, not OU. He's always the voice of the enemy in my mind. That, and he sucks at his job.

With Brooks on the microphone I used to turn off the T V audio and have the radio on for the description. Those days left with the return of bumbling bob.My thoughts exactly.

stoopified
8/24/2008, 10:59 AM
gets my voteMe too. I would however like to say that I am not a hater.I do however think Bob's play-by-play skills have slipped noticeably in the last 6-7 years or so.I love Bob Barry the man,he is a nice guy and great storyteller BUT he should RETIRE from the mic.

Sabanball
8/24/2008, 11:09 AM
It's been almost 25 yrs since I've listened to OU football or basketball on the radio, so I remember Mike Treps pretty well. Who was it that always said, "Jiminy Christmas!" every time OU made a big play? Was it Brooks?

fwsooner22
8/24/2008, 11:40 AM
If that is how I performed at MY job. I would fire ME and so would any other boss in the free world.

It just does not make sense.

He has become an embarrassment.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 11:42 AM
It's been almost 25 yrs since I've listened to OU football or basketball on the radio, so I remember Mike Treps pretty well. Who was it that always said, "Jiminy Christmas!" every time OU made a big play? Was it Brooks?
That was Brooks. Treps was the most knowlagable person that there ever was.

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 12:39 PM
First of all, you all are being far too critical of Bob. He does not make as many mistakes as you infer. You can still follow the games and he paints a pretty good mental picture of the scene. I love his enthusiasm and his voice just is synonymous with Sooner football for me. I hope he does the games as long as he can.

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2008, 12:41 PM
^^ do you even listen? He's a mistake machine, hence all the excuses in the newspaper article posted above.

Agree, it's not about his age, it's the fact that he's not good at what he does. And who the **** cares what Junior thinks??

There are dozens of really good pbp guys, i.e. guys who don't warrant a newspaper article full of excuses, who'd kill for that job.

I also like how he announced his retirement in 1998 and was quote "too tired to continue". What happened in 1999 to change his mind? Oh yeah. Hello Bandwagon

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 12:45 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? If he enjoys it, let him keep doing it. He does it well enough to understand what is going on in the game. Calling his move "bandwagonesque" makes me think you have been spending too much time at orangepower. I'm sure it was difficult to be enthusiastic about a John Blake team, that would tire me out. That doesn't mean he is a "bandwagon" fan.

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2008, 12:46 PM
Who was it that always said, "Jiminy Christmas!" every time OU made a big play? Was it Brooks?

Yep. Brooks is a huge kook but he was a darn good PBP guy

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 12:51 PM
First of all, you all are being far too critical of Bob. He does not make as many mistakes as you infer. You can still follow the games and he paints a pretty good mental picture of the scene. I love his enthusiasm and his voice just is synonymous with Sooner football for me. I hope he does the games as long as he can.
I want some of those drugs that you take when you get a mental picture from BBB. He is still a stoolwater game caller to me.:stunned:

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2008, 12:51 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? If he enjoys it, let him keep doing it.

No, it's not a huge deal -- unless you're relying on him for the call because you can't make it to the game and aren't near a TV.

Lots of people might enjoy a job they're borderline incompetent of doing.

We're not OSU or Texas Tech. We're OU dammit and we ought to have a top-tier radio play-by-play guy.

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2008, 01:00 PM
After reading the article again, I'm starting to think the premise of this article was dreamt up by someone who thinks Bob should retire. Excuses, excuses and the ol' ace in the hole: "leave my daddy alone!"

Geeze. :rolleyes:

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 01:02 PM
You know this is all opinion so there is no "winning" this arguement. I have listened to BB Sr. for years and I can still follow the game. Sorry if it is such a problem for you.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 01:17 PM
We're OU dammit
I love those words. My new sig.

badger
8/24/2008, 01:24 PM
After reading the article again, I'm starting to think the premise of this article was dreamt up by someone who thinks Bob should retire. Excuses, excuses and the ol' ace in the hole: "leave my daddy alone!"

Geeze. :rolleyes:

I kind of got the impression that the people at NewsOk.com are reading this very site and decided to make our annual Bob Barry thread into an article. Perhaps we should start another random thread that we want to hear more about? :D

Joking aside, I don't buy the Press Box comment. Most of the OU games are at OU, especially when compared to other locations (For example, we play at Memorial Stadium six times this year, and only once in Stillwater. Over a two year span, we would play in Norman about 12 or 13 times, but only once in Stillwater). The OU Press Box never moves (because we aren't Aggie, so the upper deck does not sway) and extends across the entire field, so prime papers, radio, television, etc. get the middle 50-yard-line seats, which would likely include the OU play-by-play star Bob Barry. This also goes for the OU-Texas game in Dallas, which is like the OU press box, except with better food. Someday, perhaps, OU will convert the press box into skybox suites (they would be perfect for that), being indoors with big windows and all, but for now, they are very, very good seats to have.

As for the comment about having five people in your ear at once while talking about the game... how many of you have 85,000 people in your ear at Owen Field while you talk about the game? :)

As for the critics, someone who "rubs elbows with Bob Stoops" should know that with greater audiences comes greater numbers of critics and greater responsibilities.

I don't believe that any amount of complaining will retire Bob Barry (but then again, didn't Final Four guy finally get the boot? lol), but as this article clearly demonstrates, any amount of complaining will definitely get an article :D

PS: Radio is a last resort for me, so while I am not fond of Bob Barry's errors and such, I can hit the radio-like "ignore" button by just Soonering with the tee vee.

jkjsooner
8/24/2008, 01:28 PM
1. Nobody here ever said the job was easy.

2. I don't care if it gets him out of bed in the morning or fires him up.

3. I don't care how old he is as long as he does a good job.

The fact is, for those who have to listen to OU games on the radio, it is frustrating and hard to figure out what is going on. It gets worse every year.

OU fans deserve to have at least decent play by play. I'm sorry if it hurts Bob Barry. We all get old and lose our abilities.

If Barry had respect for the fans who rely on radio broadcasts he would find some other reason to get up in the morning. OU football does not exist for Barry's personal sense of self worth.

Many OU fans listen to the opposition's play-by-play - putting up with their homerism - just so they can figure out what is going on. Yes, play-by-play guys do get criticized but Barry is on a different level. We hear decent play-by-play at other colleges every Saturday and we know the difference.

Maybe Barry can move to color commentator or something.

jkjsooner
8/24/2008, 01:33 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? If he enjoys it, let him keep doing it. He does it well enough to understand what is going on in the game. Calling his move "bandwagonesque" makes me think you have been spending too much time at orangepower. I'm sure it was difficult to be enthusiastic about a John Blake team, that would tire me out. That doesn't mean he is a "bandwagon" fan.

If he enjoys is let him keep doing it? OU radio exists for the enjoyment of Bob Barry Sr.?

Maybe if Blake enjoyed coaching we should have let him keep doing it as well.

jkjsooner
8/24/2008, 01:38 PM
You know this is all opinion so there is no "winning" this arguement. I have listened to BB Sr. for years and I can still follow the game. Sorry if it is such a problem for you.

Reading between the lines and "following the game" is really a low bar for a D1 play-by-play guy.

"Handoff to Demond Parker, he breaks free, 45, 50, 45, 40 err. that was a 5 yard sack." Meanwhile I'm ready to throw my freaking computer out the window.

But that'sw okay, becasue I can still determine that we now have the ball on our own 40 yard line. So, yeah, I can follow the game.

Good lord, he was like this ten years ago!

Disclaimer: I don't remember actual plays but situations like the one above occur quite often with Barry Sr.

badger
8/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Disclaimer: Triple post alert ;)

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2008, 02:01 PM
OU football does not exist for Barry's personal sense of self worth.

I had that same thought when I read that but couldn't put it into words as well. As.

you. Did.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2008, 02:10 PM
Good lord, he was like this ten years ago!

At least he dosent call us cowboys anymore.

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 02:11 PM
If he enjoys is let him keep doing it? OU radio exists for the enjoyment of Bob Barry Sr.?

Maybe if Blake enjoyed coaching we should have let him keep doing it as well.

First of all, don't insult me by twisting my words. I said its not a big deal because it is just the radio broadcast and, evidently, I can follow it better than many other people here. Maybe I just listen more closely, I don't know. I didn't say that we should keep someone doing a poor job just because he likes it... mainly because IN MY OPINION he is not doing a poor job. Saying that keeping Blake around just because he likes it is just stupid.

badger
8/24/2008, 02:12 PM
Ok, game's in less than a week, so no stopping the inevitable now. I say we table this motion to remove BB and reconvene following the first game's broadcast, complete with broadcast analysis.

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not some idiot who is always positive and thinks that no one should ever get their feelings hurt. I differ in my opinion from you guys. It really doesn't matter because he will get to continue to do the games so no matter how much you all bitch, it is falling on deaf ears.

r5TPsooner
8/24/2008, 02:29 PM
+1 On Brooks & Treps

With Brooks on the microphone I used to turn off the T V audio and have the radio on for the description. Those days left with the return of bumbling bob.

Exactly. Bob Barry Sr. is a joke and an embarrassment to Sooner fans everywhere who are forced to listen to him. What's really sad is that he probably knows he sucks at his job now but he doesn't have enough respect for the program and the fans to walk away and call it a career. Hell, even watching the Bob Stoops show or Playback show is difficult when you hear BBS butchering the play-by-play up.

Brooks was awesome and he'll always be the voice of the Sooners in my mind.

Curly Bill
8/24/2008, 02:31 PM
Exactly. Bob Barry Sr. is a joke and an embarrassment to Sooner fans everywhere who are forced to listen to him. What's really sad is that he probably knows he sucks at his job now but he doesn't have enough respect for the program and the fans to walk away and call it a career. Hell, even watching the Bob Stoops show or Playback show is difficult when you hear BBS butchering the play-by-play up.

Brooks was awesome and he'll always be the voice of the Sooners in my mind.

Sheesh, haven't you heard: he enjoys doing the games so leave him alone and let the man do his usual ****-poor job.

r5TPsooner
8/24/2008, 02:33 PM
Sheesh, haven't you heard: he enjoys doing the games so leave him alone and let the man do his usual ****-poor job.

Personally, I like the guy but he's just not very good at his job. Hell, I'd rather listen to his kid do the play-by-play.

Curly Bill
8/24/2008, 02:34 PM
Personally, I like the guy but he's just not very good at his job. Hell, I'd rather listen to his kid do the play-by-play.

I'd rather listen to you do it. :D

r5TPsooner
8/24/2008, 02:37 PM
I'd rather listen to you do it. :D

I wouldn't last long due to FCC regulations. I can hear the F bombs now as a ref misses a call not in OU's favor.

badger
8/24/2008, 02:40 PM
What's really sad is that he probably knows he sucks at his job now but he doesn't have enough respect for the program and the fans to walk away and call it a career.

Perhaps it's the national championship syndrome. Obviously, BBS was, at one time, good enough to get the OU play-by-play announcer job, especially considering he used to be at OSU.

He has had his glory years right along with OU. The worst part of glory years, unfortunately, is that once you've experienced them once, you want to experience them again. You see it all the time with players and coaches. After they win it once, they want to win another and even when it seems impossible that it will ever happen again, they cling to that hope (and that position that they're in) until they accomplish it, or are driven away.

This is why the Oscars go so late into the evening - that glory moment when you've won. You want it to last forever. The orchestra wants to usher you off the stage with their "get off the stage now" music, but you refuse to give up your microphone.

If we are truly serious about retiring Bob Barry Sr., we need to offer him his glory moment. We can't just unceremoniously shove him out, he deserves better than that. We need to put a tribute to him in the Barry Switzer Center, give him a halftime recognition ceremony for his accomplishments in broadcasting complete with video tribute, or perhaps, we can give him a ring like the players and coaches receive tributing his own championship of sorts.

r5TPsooner
8/24/2008, 02:48 PM

You're kidding me right? The guy stutters and stumbles thru the play by play like Gomer Pyle on meth. On average, he can't even tell the audience the correct player making the play over the radio. I get more information regarding the play-by play from the crowd than I do BBS.

He is a legend and was once very good at his trade but those days have been over for a long time now.

He needs to go bye-bye.

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 03:05 PM
OK, I will listen this year and if I am wrong, I will admit it. Is that cool with you guys? Just get off of my freaking back.

badger
8/24/2008, 03:48 PM
OK, I will listen this year and if I am wrong, I will admit it. Is that cool with you guys? Just get off of my freaking back.

Having a bad day? Sorry, man. If it helps you feel better, it's only SIX DAYS UNTIL GAMEDAY! :)

...of course, that also means it's only six days until the return of Bob Barry Sr...

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 04:00 PM
Having a bad day? Sorry, man. If it helps you feel better, it's only SIX DAYS UNTIL GAMEDAY! :)

...of course, that also means it's only six days until the return of Bob Barry Sr...

First of all, thanks, that does help. Second, yeah sorry I got a little intense. I went over to OP just for fun and to **** them off. I guess I let it carry over back into soonerfans. My bad.

badger
8/24/2008, 04:01 PM
First of all, thanks, that does help. Second, yeah sorry I got a little intense. I went over to OP just for fun and to **** them off. I guess I let it carry over back into soonerfans. My bad.

I hope you've learned a valuable lesson - NEVER post on OP.com. ;)

Big D Sooner
8/24/2008, 04:07 PM
But it is so fun to listen to them say "Gooner" this and "trailer trash" that. Also, they are so easy to **** off.

goingoneight
8/24/2008, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't last long due to FCC regulations. I can hear the F bombs now as a ref misses a call not in OU's favor.

r5TPsooner: Bradford out of the gun, here's the snap... rolls the pocket left... in trouble, broke that muh-f***in' tackle, bitches!!! He throws it dowfield and a badass catch by Broyles!

WHAT!?! Are you ****ing kidding me? Holding on Loadholt? Goddammit!!! That's just ****ing bull****!!! I'm looking at the video now and friggin' Texass was offsides! What a dumbass muh-f***er! I can't believe those damn whorns got ANOTHER ****ing call their way. Stupid, ****ing John Bible.

I tell you what... if I'm Stoops... I'm going for this ****. I don't care if it ends up 4th and 20... they deserve to get their asses whooped.

r5TPsooner
8/24/2008, 05:37 PM
r5TPsooner: Bradford out of the gun, here's the snap... rolls the pocket left... in trouble, broke that muh-f***in' tackle, bitches!!! He throws it dowfield and a badass catch by Broyles!

WHAT!?! Are you ****ing kidding me? Holding on Loadholt? Goddammit!!! That's just ****ing bull****!!! I'm looking at the video now and friggin' Texass was offsides! What a dumbass muh-f***er! I can't believe those damn whorns got ANOTHER ****ing call their way. Stupid, ****ing John Bible.

I tell you what... if I'm Stoops... I'm going for this ****. I don't care if it ends up 4th and 20... they deserve to get their asses whooped.

That's about right. Throw in a racey comment about a cheerleader or two and that pretty much sums it up.

NCSooner18
8/24/2008, 06:16 PM
Hell, I can remember him botching scores and highlight narrative from when I was a kid (I'm in my mid-40's). I always wondered whom he had pictures of to keep getting "Sportscaster of the Year".

I agree that a program of our stature deserves, and should be able to hire someone who is better than most high school announcers I have heard.

Flying Scotsman
8/24/2008, 10:11 PM
...I DREAD listening to the game this Saturday. I'll have no earthly idea on what the heck is going on....Senior needs to retire!!

goingoneight
8/24/2008, 10:32 PM
I know I couldn't do the PBP unless I did it like OSU or Texass's guys that phail to mention the other players names or accomplishments and come off as a biased doosh in the process.

I do however think even my left cojone could come up with something less corny than "Say goodnight" every five seconds or "PISTOLS FIRING!!!"

goingoneight: Here's the snap, OU on a quick blitz and English got 'em in the backfield.

goingoneight: Here's the snap, pumps, looking deep and broken up by Dominique Franks. He had him beat at the line.

(notice no opposition names)

goingoneight: Bradford out of the gun, quick snap... looks off Chaney and there's Gresham, brought down at about the eight.

People not in the know would wonder who the hell we're beating.

They'd have to wait for Trent Smith to give us a little injury info.

SCOUT
8/24/2008, 10:47 PM
I am not Bob Barry Sr. hater, in fact I would say that I am a fan. Like any performer though, there is a finite amount of time when that person can exploit their talent. Bob Barry Sr. finished exploiting his talent in the mid-90's. When I graduated in 1995 I went from student tickets, and seeing every game, to broke and living in Dallas. I listened to all of the games on the radio. Even back then it was tough to follow. I don't mind the mispoken names and such, it is the outright different plays.

I remember plays where he would get all excited and call out yardage like 40, 45, 50, sacked for a loss of 4. WTF!!!!!

That was 13 years ago. It has deteriorated since then. I am one of those who listens to the opponents broadcast, when I have to listen to the radio, because they at least represent what is happening on the field.

Bob was great. He is still a great man. Bob is no longer great at the job he is performing. I wish him well, but I would prefer to have a coherent broadcast of the games.

ouwasp
8/24/2008, 11:49 PM
We'll have to listen to this guy till he dies...

Or maybe President McCain will tap BBS to be head of the FCC!

Scott D
8/25/2008, 08:07 AM
This article proves nothing, and for the record BBJr. sucks at what he does, so he doesn't have a leg to stand on defending his pops. Being hand picked by Bud 47 years ago doesn't mean squat now. Most people retire by that point unless they want to die doing the job like JoePa. Even Keith effin' Jackson knew when it was time to hang up the mic, it was ABC that kept coming back and begging him to stay.

Merv Johnson could call the game 100x better than BBSr.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2008, 08:31 AM
Exactly. He is the voice of the sooners. I know he makes it hard to follow but it's "Big Bob!"

No he's not! I would say Brooks is the Voice of the Sooners. BBS called the aggies and I still think of him as an aggie. Jiminy Christmas > How 'bout them apples! BBS is not up to the speed of the game anymore. His hot dog is more important. BTW, Merv is better than BBS and he is old as well. Some people age well, some dont'. BBS has overstayed his skills.

BoBoHead
8/25/2008, 09:36 AM
Thank god for this thread, my depleted memory the other day was trying to remember the names of those announcers. I just got done trying to google a radio archive of Brooks and Treps to remind my ears of how they sounded but couldn't find one.

badger
8/25/2008, 09:45 AM
You know how there's all sorts of Sooner kiddo games north of the stadium on gameday?

I say we... manipulate this for our own means :D

We disguise it as a normal, everyday kiddie activity involving Sooner football. Put it next to the Oklahoman's "Throw a ball like Jason White, except through that little circle" game. This one, however, involves a big screen television where you're watching an exciting Sooner play.

Next, give the kid a microphone so that his or her words are broadcasted a little.

Finally, let them call the action. Not only will we get to hear other Sooner commentary, but more importantly, we will find our next commentator who will replace Bob Barry Sr. when he retires in 20 years.

;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2008, 10:37 AM
My fear is part of the addage, be careful what you wish for... But I think we would be hard pressed to find anyone worse than what we have. As long as we keep Merv for as long as he wants...

Collier11
8/25/2008, 10:54 AM
I could care less if he is 147 yrs old, what I care about is that he is horrible...He is slow on the calls, gets them wrong, says wrong names, etc... he was a legend and still is but sometimes it is time to move on.

Collier11
8/25/2008, 10:57 AM
and for the record, what im talking about is not age discrimination, BBJ is completely wrong. What we are talking about is being competent, if I screwed up as much as he does at my job id be fired as most of us would

Collier11
8/25/2008, 10:59 AM
First of all, don't insult me by twisting my words. I said its not a big deal because it is just the radio broadcast and, evidently, I can follow it better than many other people here. Maybe I just listen more closely, I don't know. I didn't say that we should keep someone doing a poor job just because he likes it... mainly because IN MY OPINION he is not doing a poor job. Saying that keeping Blake around just because he likes it is just stupid.

You are delusional

RUF/NEK N TX
8/25/2008, 08:54 PM
Anytime you're ready, I'm right down I-35 waiting for the call. I've been doing high school football and arena football for several years, and Norman is calling my name.

My first post under a new name (Forgot my old password from a few years back) was begging for me to chime in. As a play-by-play guy, I can speak to the fact that it's a lot tougher than it looks. BUT, I do every week what those 5 guys are saying into his ear: Who made the tackle? The catch? Formation? Time? Score? Injuries? Thank god for all the voices already in my head. Without them, I'd be lost.

I love my grandfather (Same age as Bob Sr.) very much, and he knows a lot about football, but we won't let him drive to Wal-Mart, much less call OU Football.

badger
8/25/2008, 10:10 PM
welcome back - and it would be wonderful to get new guys on the mic, not necessarily replacing BBSr, but just give airtime to more people, yknow?

jdsooner
8/25/2008, 10:30 PM
Compared to the idiot who calls the cowboy games, Barry is marvelous.

Scott D
8/25/2008, 10:35 PM
compared to the idiot that calls their games, a lobotomy is marvelous.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/26/2008, 10:57 AM
compared to the idiot that calls their games, a lobotomy is marvelous.

"Pistols Firing" :D

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 09:13 AM
Umm, i was down getting a coke just before half time, got to listen to BBS.

No huddle offense, is very fast, I will leave it at that.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/31/2008, 09:59 AM
Chris Brown scored his 16th touchdown of the season last night according to bob

bluedogok
8/31/2008, 10:21 AM
I know I couldn't do the PBP unless I did it like OSU or Texass's guys that phail to mention the other players names or accomplishments and come off as a biased doosh in the process.
Well, if you are doing a national, non-team affiliated broadcast, then you should do the broadcast as an unbiased observer. If you are hired by the school or the team to do the school/team broadcast then you should be a biased participant and part cheerleader. That is what you are hired to do, I have no problem with that.

I listen to many different ones on Sirius when I happen to be driving on game days, most are homers. The A&M guys last night sound like someone had kicked their Collie after that last interception. I think Craig Way (the Whorn PBP guy) is pretty solid, not great but solid, on the other hand the color guy is a complete moron. The "Pistols" guy and Orange-ade are complete tools.

BudsBoy
8/31/2008, 11:21 AM
I love Bob Barry. I have been listening to him do game since 1950's doing to Norman High games. Bob is football broadcasting to me. I don't care for the slick all their voices seem the same young broadcasters I hear for other teams and National broadcasts. Give me the Big Bob.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 11:24 AM
I love Bob Barry. I have been listening to him do game since 1950's doing to Norman High games. Bob is football broadcasting to me. I don't care for the slick all their voices seem the same young broadcasters I hear for other teams and National broadcasts. Give me the Big Bob.

It's not his voice, it's the dumas things he says that make him awful. I turn on the radio yesterday and the first thing I hear from him is that our QB is Sam Broadford, it then got worse from there.

r5TPsooner
8/31/2008, 11:56 AM
I remember there being a bunch of comments in the official thread about all the goofs he had last nite.

A great program like OU deserves better IMHO.

ultimatesooner1
8/31/2008, 12:10 PM
John Brooks is a steaming pile of poo that will never come close to calling an ou game again

Jdog
8/31/2008, 12:34 PM
Well, if you are doing a national, non-team affiliated broadcast, then you should do the broadcast as an unbiased observer. If you are hired by the school or the team to do the school/team broadcast then you should be a biased participant and part cheerleader. That is what you are hired to do, I have no problem with that.

I listen to many different ones on Sirius when I happen to be driving on game days, most are homers. The A&M guys last night sound like someone had kicked their Collie after that last interception. I think Craig Way (the Whorn PBP guy) is pretty solid, not great but solid, on the other hand the color guy is a complete moron. The "Pistols" guy and Orange-ade are complete tools.

Yesterday while driving up to Norman, I listened to the Georgia game on XM. Their guy sounded like a very old version of Deputy Dog. Very slow and dower - seemed anger about every thing that the Dawgs did - even when it was good.

But the old guy talked slow, and stayed away from quoting stats. We all know that probably because of age BBSr's mouth sometimes works faster then his brain and it causes him to make wrong call. Maybe if he could just slow it down and not try so hard.

SoonerLB
8/31/2008, 02:43 PM
I can understand both sides of the argument, but having been at his mercy last night, I would have to vote in favor of 'time to hang up the microphone Bob'. Appreciate your years of service, you did a good job, here's your watch, CYA!

Rogue
8/31/2008, 04:17 PM
More than 10 years. I've been listening to him since the early '90s and it's been bad for at least that long. BBSr's voice is great for calling games, but he's just soooo bad about it. I've posted many quotes of his during the games, paraphrased a few more, and had to make jokes to survive his butchering of the games. Last night there was a great run...he did the countdown all the way to the 5 yard line without screwing it up. Talked for about 45 seconds more before we on the radio learned that it was a touchdown. I figured it out when he said "they're lined up for the kick." Hearing him bumble**** through a game used to be sort of a quaint folksey kind of fun. Now it's just frustrating as hell and I for one am waaaay over it.

Harris County Sooner
8/31/2008, 06:37 PM
I grew up with Barry (and Jack Ogle) at the Sooner mic. I also grew up with 3D Danny, Foreman Scotty and Miss Fran from Story Land. It's time to move on.

Bob was horrible last night.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/31/2008, 06:41 PM
Chris Brown scored his 16th touchdown of the season last night according to bob

He also called a "swift peach". I'm presuming he meant pitch sweep. He also called Trent Smith everything but Trent.

r5TPsooner
8/31/2008, 06:57 PM
Bob needs to see his doctor about getting an RX for Aricept.