PDA

View Full Version : McJaws?

bri
8/23/2008, 08:20 AM
Great White Shark spotted off Scottish coast (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1597631.ece)

A remote-controlled submarine took the startling picture just before 5am on Tuesday.

The sub was relaying images from 300ft down to an oil rig maintenance crew 120 miles off Aberdeen.

The man-eater flashed across the screen for just an instant before disappearing into the dark.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00562/SNN2308CART-380_562102a.jpg

A fellow worker on the rig said: “The controller of the sub got the fright of his life.

“He was quietly going about his job when this monster came out of nowhere, swam across the camera and then was gone into the dark. He tried to follow it but it disappeared.”

Shark expert Doug Herdson of the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth said last night: “This is an important sighting. We can’t be 100 per cent sure but it looks like a Great White.

"There’s no reason why it couldn’t have travelled here from the coast of the US.

“There’s plenty of food in the North Sea and the temperatures are fine for them. Sharks are attracted to rigs because the water near the structure is warmer.

"If there was going to be a Great White in the North Sea, it would be likely to be found near a rig.”

A worker on the platform said: “Ex-fisherman on the rig are convinced this is a Great White — no one would dare go in the water.”

The Great White — the man-eater of the Jaws horror movies — might have been attracted by the hordes of fish and sea mammals which live around the rig, experts believe. Whales, sea lions, porpoises and seals have been spotted — all staples of a Great White’s diet.

A tech expert on the rig said: “The sea is warmer around the platforms because we extract oil at a very high temperature.”

The scary footage was taken below the Kittiwake oil platform by an unmanned sub called a ROV Triton XLS. It was carrying out inspection work on anchor points connected to the massive structure.

Last summer, The Sun published a series of pictures showing what is believed to have been a Great White off the Cornish coast.

And in January, a mutilated seal was washed up on a beach in Norfolk on the east coast of England, which experts believed had been chomped by a huge shark.

The Great White can grow to more than 20ft long and weigh over two tons.
It is normally found off Australia, South Africa and America.

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

Viking Kitten
8/23/2008, 09:20 AM
Dammit Bri! I'm not closing the beaches!

Frozen Sooner
8/23/2008, 11:48 AM
Crivens! Weer gonna need a beeger boot.

BudSooner
8/23/2008, 11:57 AM
Heh, now I know whats in the McD's fish sammich. It ain't fish...nevermind.

bri
8/23/2008, 01:31 PM
Dammit Bri! I'm not closing the beaches!

Uh, I am familar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you in the *SS!

swardboy
8/23/2008, 02:40 PM
Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about McCains' temper....

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see Nessie spill out all over the dock!

bri
8/23/2008, 07:02 PM
Don't worry, tree thousand dollahs will buy a lot of haggis...

Viking Kitten
8/23/2008, 07:28 PM
Sub goes in the water. You go in the water. Shark's in the water. Farewell and adieu to you fair Scottish Ladies...

birddog
8/23/2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9E-xRaH5K4&feature=related

sooneron
8/23/2008, 09:19 PM
Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him.

LoyalFan
8/24/2008, 02:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9E-xRaH5K4&feature=related

Cleveland is DA SHARK!

LF

Animal Mother
8/25/2008, 12:17 PM
Why does a sandwich have a camera in it??

pergdaddy
8/25/2008, 12:30 PM
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.
Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.
Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.
You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist.
At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.
Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

KC//CRIMSON
8/26/2008, 06:04 PM
Step off Scottish Bruce.

Goblin Shark (http:///www.geekologie.com/2008/08/move_over_robot_goblin_shark_i.php) is some freaky hairy scary $hit!:eek:

bri
8/27/2008, 09:22 AM
What was your favorite part? Mine was when it angrily threw its teeth at that dude's arm. It was all, "Oh, you're gonna pull your arm away? F*ck you, c*cksucker, I'll just use my nightmarish telescoping teeth and bite you independently of my mouth!"

*shudder*

KC//CRIMSON
8/27/2008, 12:59 PM
What was your favorite part? Mine was when it angrily threw its teeth at that dude's arm. It was all, "Oh, you're gonna pull your arm away? F*ck you, c*cksucker, I'll just use my nightmarish telescoping teeth and bite you independently of my mouth!"

*shudder*

Yeah, this swimming freak show has no problem with lock jaw.

bri
8/27/2008, 01:02 PM
sZzehRHxtB8