PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns...Again

bri
8/22/2008, 08:20 PM
So, we're gonna do a reboot of a reboot? (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121936107614461929.html?mod=googlenews_wsj) Ah, those silly DC bitches.

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

Oh, I can't wait for this failalanche. :D

soonersn20xx
8/22/2008, 08:26 PM
Agreed, this wreaks of failure.

royalfan5
8/22/2008, 08:32 PM
I hope they say **** it, and let Nic Cage be superman.

bri
8/22/2008, 08:33 PM
Everyone always dances around the main problem: Superman sucks. From a creative standpoint, outside of the concept of "last son of a dying planet comes to Earth, has amazing powers, becomes dull" Superman is the laziest of all creations. No matter what comes along, he can beat it. Nothing hurts him except for one thing, and as of the last movie even that wasn't too bad. Dude got ganked with a kryptonite shank in the exercise yard on an island made of kryptonite, and he didn't die? F*ck that, he should have died. He should have died SO hard.

Also, "dark Superman" isn't going to be much more interesting. I mean, he was pretty much a superdick in the last one, and that movie still sucked balls. WB/DC just needs to abandon Superman as a film franchise and try and make people give a rat's *ss about all their secondary characters.

You know, like Marvel does. :D

reevie
8/22/2008, 09:46 PM
Superman sucks.

Also, "dark Superman" isn't going to be much more interesting. I mean, he was pretty much a superdick in the last one, and that movie still sucked balls. WB/DC just needs to abandon Superman as a film franchise and try and make people give a rat's *ss about all their secondary characters.

Superman is boring, just as you said and he won't be successful on screen until someone with a fresh vision on the character and what he can be comes along.

"brooding Superman" - No One wants to see that. Superman stands for Truth, Justice and the American way. He's a boy scout and Mr. Perfect.

WB/DC are in deep trouble with movie franchises until they stop and build a gameplan like Marvel has done. But I think they've panic and now they won't be able to recover at the box office.

Vaevictis
8/22/2008, 09:53 PM
Superman stands for Truth, Justice and the American way. He's a boy scout and Mr. Perfect.

Which is exactly what I love about the guy.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Except Superman.

IronSooner
8/22/2008, 10:04 PM
Everyone always dances around the main problem: Superman sucks. From a creative standpoint, outside of the concept of "last son of a dying planet comes to Earth, has amazing powers, becomes dull" Superman is the laziest of all creations. No matter what comes along, he can beat it. Nothing hurts him except for one thing, and as of the last movie even that wasn't too bad. Dude got ganked with a kryptonite shank in the exercise yard on an island made of kryptonite, and he didn't die? F*ck that, he should have died. He should have died SO hard.

You know, like Marvel does. :D

What he said. Superman is one-dimensional. Retire him and let it go.

JohnnyMack
8/22/2008, 10:33 PM
Kneel before......Zod?

royalfan5
8/22/2008, 10:34 PM
After some thought, I'd be up for a Bizarro movie.

Oldnslo
8/22/2008, 10:34 PM
here's my problem.

Supes is married to Lois. One might assume that they have consummated their marriage.

So does he, um, ejaculate her into the next city?

I just don't see how they get past that.

GottaHavePride
8/22/2008, 10:39 PM
And that may have ben the first unintentional Mallrats reference of the thread.

Frozen Sooner
8/22/2008, 10:44 PM
And that may have ben the first unintentional Harlan Ellison reference of the thread.

Fixed that for you.

GottaHavePride
8/22/2008, 10:46 PM
Heh.

I really wish they had turned HIS "I, Robot" screenplay into a movie instead of that Will Smith thing.

olevetonahill
8/23/2008, 04:46 AM
here's my problem.

Supes is married to Lois. One might assume that they have consummated their marriage.

So does he, um, ejaculate her into the next city?

I just don't see how they get past that.

He slow strokes
:rolleyes:

soonerscuba
8/23/2008, 12:12 PM
I guarantee he blows a load like a shotgun through her back.