PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Power Breakthrough

soonersn20xx
8/22/2008, 11:00 AM
Nikola Tesla said it could be done almost 80 years ago, Intel apparently has developed the technology.

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Intel on Thursday showed off a wireless electric power system that analysts say could revolutionize modern life by freeing devices from transformers and wall outlets.

Intel chief technology officer Justin Rattner demonstrated a Wireless Energy Resonant Link as he spoke at the California firm's annual developers forum in San Francisco.

Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer.

Most importantly, the electricity was transmitted without zapping anything or anyone that got between the sending and receiving units.

"The trick with wireless power is not can you do it; it's can you do it safely and efficiently," Intel researcher Josh Smith said in an online video explaining the breakthrough.

"It turns out the human body is not affected by magnetic fields; it is affected by elective fields. So what we are doing is transmitting energy using the magnetic field not the electric field."

Examples of potential applications include airports, offices or other buildings that could be rigged to supply power to laptops, mobile telephones or other devices toted into them.

The technology could also be built into plugged in computer components, such as monitors, to enable them to broadcast power to devices left on desks or carried into rooms, according to Smith.

"Initially it eliminates chargers and eventually it eliminates batteries all together," analyst Rob Enderle of Enderle Group said of Intel's wireless power system.

"That is potentially a world changing event. This is the closest we've had to something being commercially available in this class."

Previous wireless power systems consisted basically of firing lightning bolts from sending to receiving units.

Smith says Intel's wireless power system is still in an early stage of development and much research remains before it can be brought to market.

Rattner spoke of technological transformations he expects by the year 2050.

"You'd like to cut the last cord," Smith said.

"It's great that we have wireless email and wireless internet and stuff like that but at the end of the day it would be nice to have wireless recharge as well."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080821/ts_alt_afp/usitinternetenergychipcompanyintel_080821212826

yermom
8/22/2008, 11:03 AM
but you also have to stop carrying anything metal on you ;)

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 11:08 AM
"It turns out the human body is not affected by magnetic fields; it is affected by elective fields. So what we are doing is transmitting energy using the magnetic field not the electric field."

Not 100% true as we are made mostly of water, and water is a polar molecule, but I suppose in small amounts it couldn't hurt to much.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 11:08 AM
Creepy.

I don't want wireless electricity AND nutsack cancer.

soonersn20xx
8/22/2008, 11:11 AM
Not 100% true as we are made mostly of water, and water is a polar molecule, but I suppose in small amounts it couldn't hurt to much.

I find that questionable too, aren't some reports contributing cell phone use to brain cancer. Not sure if that is the magnetic field it generates or the radio waves, I'm no scientist.:cool:

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 11:16 AM
I find that questionable too, aren't some reports contributing cell phone use to brain cancer. Not sure if that is the magnetic field it generates or the radio waves, I'm no scientist.:cool:

I don't think magnetic fields are harmful, but they will affect the human body. I mean, if they did hurt, we are all screwed anyway, seeing as we all live on a giant friggen magnet.

And I think it is the high concentrations of radio waves people b*tch about with the cell phones.

Okla-homey
8/22/2008, 11:20 AM
My Blonde daughter's BF is majoring in precisely that stuff at Auburn. For the record, he cannot fix a busted TV remote or wireless phone.

BigRedJed
8/22/2008, 11:22 AM
Oj6SZgbBuSQ

BigRedJed
8/22/2008, 11:27 AM
That video is a fake, BTW.

SoonerStormchaser
8/22/2008, 11:43 AM
My Blonde daughter's BF is majoring in precisely that stuff at Auburn. For the record, he cannot fix a busted TV remote or wireless phone.

She has a BF? Do you have a gun?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 12:21 PM
Does he have irradiated testicles?

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 12:24 PM

Total bogus science.

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:24 PM
and just an FYI, Nikola Tesla ****ing rocks!

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 12:25 PM
and just an FYI, Nikola Tesla ****ing rocks!

QFT. One of the most under-appreciated geniuses in history.

sooneron
8/22/2008, 12:27 PM

Poor barner aggy :stunned:

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:27 PM
Discovered Radio and X-Rays, also thought up the Tesla Death Ray FTW!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 12:28 PM
Total bogus science.

Radiation is radiation. Even in the RF spectrum.

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:30 PM

Yeah, well better watch out, everything you see, yeah it is bathing you in radiation! Run to the basement and hide from the Visible Spectrum, but for God's sake man, don't turn on that light!:P :P

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 12:34 PM

I work with high-intensity magnetic fields and radiofrequency amplifiers every single day. My body is not littered with tumors. If electromagnetic radiation was so hazardous we would be dropping dead from light-bulb exposure.

It's junk science and fear-mongering.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 12:36 PM
That's true, too.

How in the hell is a guy supposed to stoke fear and paranoia in people with you yammerin' on like that?

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 12:38 PM

Also:

-alternating current
-remote control
-the induction motor
-he also outlined the idea for cell phones and wi-fi almost 90 years ago

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:39 PM
That's true, too.

How in the hell is a guy supposed to stoke fear and paranoia in people with you yammerin' on like that?

What are you talking about, take my lead and run with it!

Radiation=either cancer or super-awesome special powers.

Visible light= Radiation

Therefore

Visible light = World full of crazy *** super heroes and villains + everyone else has teh cancer!

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:41 PM
Also:

-alternating current
-remote control
-the induction motor
-he also outlined the idea for cell phones and wi-fi almost 90 years ago

Don't forget Vertical Take-Off and Landing aircraft and superconductivity!

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 12:42 PM
Don't forget Vertical Take-Off and Landing aircraft and superconductivity!

Oh, and the earthquake machine. Yeah, he made a working earthquake machine.

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 12:48 PM
Oh, and the earthquake machine. Yeah, he made a working earthquake machine.

Heh, Telsa = prototypical evil genius :D :D

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 12:54 PM
Nuggets of gold.

Cancer.org's take on it (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_1_3X_Radiation_Exposure_and_Cancer.asp)

However, they don't address workplace hazards such as high potential RF, and unshielded low frequency/high potential waves and the related harmonics.

Additionally, in 1999 the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) released results of an extensive 6-year study stating that the evidence for a risk of cancer and other human disease from the electric and magnetic fields (EMF) around power lines is "weak" but could not totally be discounted, and efforts to reduce exposures when possible should continue.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/22/2008, 01:03 PM
There was a TV show on Tesla on History or Nat Geo or something recently. The guy was as nutty as Hughes, but he was a genious. I bet we find out this guy was ahead of his time and we didn't understand him or he was an alien sent to bring us into the fold with the rest of the universe and we didn't listen...

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 01:05 PM
BURN THE WITCH

HERETIC

GO GET ME A TACO

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 01:07 PM
There was a TV show on Tesla on History or Nat Geo or something recently. The guy was as nutty as Hughes, but he was a genious. I bet we find out this guy was ahead of his time and we didn't understand him or he was an alien sent to bring us into the fold with the rest of the universe and we didn't listen...

Well, getting power out of the "empty" vacuum seems to be less crazy every day. SOB was right there are huge amounts of energy that fill what we thought was empty space.

Side not about Tesla. He was a severe germophobe and refused to touch anything bearing the slightest hint of dirt. Tesla also refused to touch anything round. He suffered from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and Before entering a building, he would walk three times around the block. When staying in hotels, he insisted on a room number divisible by three. At each meal, he would use 18 napkins: three stacks of six.

Mixer!
8/22/2008, 01:12 PM
IPimJLguBJI

My Opinion Matters
8/22/2008, 01:12 PM
Nuggets of gold.

Cancer.org's take on it (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_1_3X_Radiation_Exposure_and_Cancer.asp)

However, they don't address workplace hazards such as high potential RF, and unshielded low frequency/high potential waves and the related harmonics.

It can't be totally dismissed simply because there's not enough long-term data on it. Ionizing radiation (the bad kind of radiation) is destructive on a sub-cellular level. It has the potential to cause genetic mutations by fundamentally altering an organic molecule. But often these mutations won't manifest for multiple generations. That's why there's no long-term data. But we're not even talking about ionizing radiation. Radio waves are low-freqeuncy, and non-ionizing. They quite literally bounce right off our electron shell.

OUstudent4life
8/22/2008, 01:33 PM
There's some research into strong magnets being used in a similar fashion to electricity in electro-convulsive therapy for depression (yes, they really still do shock people sometimes...) ECT generally does wonders for drug-resistant depression, and apparently the mega-magnets work reasonably well, if I remember correctly from class 5 years ago ;).

So maybe the new power system will just make us all zonked-out shiny happy people...

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 04:19 PM
There's some research into strong magnets being used in a similar fashion to electricity in electro-convulsive therapy for depression (yes, they really still do shock people sometimes...) ECT generally does wonders for drug-resistant depression, and apparently the mega-magnets work reasonably well, if I remember correctly from class 5 years ago ;).

So maybe the new power system will just make us all zonked-out shiny happy people...

Or have hammers flying towards or heads. Come to think of it, that might cure you're depression and any other problems you might have had.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2008, 04:21 PM
Tom Cruise says depression is an overload of body thetans and you need to just quitcherbitchin.

Sooner_Havok
8/22/2008, 04:22 PM
Tom Cruise says depression is an overload of body thetans and you need to just quitcherbitchin.

My E-meter is broken, can I borrow someone elses?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2008, 08:23 AM

Weird thing from that TV show I watched. At his death, the U.S. Gubment conficated his papers and when they were returned, the Death Ray info was missing. THey said they didn't know what else the gubment was keeping or what else he was working on...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2008, 08:26 AM

NO, you need to spend huge amounts of buckage to stick your hands on some phoney machine and perhaps then be invited to believe in Xenu and space planes that look like 707s and the galactic empire...

Ike
8/25/2008, 11:16 AM
EMF *can* cause cancer...

but only above certain frequencies.

at frequencies below the energies needed to break molecular bonds, EMF is harmless. regardless of the intensity.

SoonerStormchaser
8/25/2008, 11:25 AM
NO, you need to spend huge amounts of buckage to stick your hands on some phoney machine and perhaps then be invited to believe in Xenu and space planes that look like 707s and the galactic empire...

They were DC-8's...you don't know what you're talking about...you're glib!

OUstudent4life
8/25/2008, 11:37 AM
Impending Scientology shutdown of Soonerfans in 3...2....1.....