PDA

View Full Version : Question for horn fans

The Maestro
8/22/2008, 10:22 AM
Seriously. How do you see your season shaping up?

Offensive weapons. Colt McCoy, Quan Cosby.......................I got nuthin.

Defense. New hot shot coordinator, but a lot of unproven players in a new system.

How did Mack not parlay a national title into some great recruiting? Oh, sure...you have 20 Texas high school studs locked up before their senior season starts, but maybe they just end up being good players in great systems...kind of like guys at Jenks that win state titles but can't play at the next level.

You start Forrest Whitaker at running back this year and the New Kids on the Block lead singer who is heir to the donut fortunes of south Texas at a receiver spot.

Oh, and your schedule? The week before the OU game is at Colorado. Good luck with that. The week after? You host Missouri. Then OSU. You then hit the road for Lubbock and two weeks later at Kansas. Oh, and then you play aTm, a team you've lost two straight games to.

I still think Mack is riding the VY coattails and the stars just don't seem to be there as they had been in the past. Are you hopeful? Optimistic?

Seriously, I think 9-3 is a great season for Texas this year.

Oh, and the mack brown website had this nugget...

2008 Depth Chart
To be determined

Ummm...yeah.

OU4LIFE
8/22/2008, 10:54 AM
bottom line:

tons of talent, nice direction, lot's of coaching turnover very young, inexperienced OL, = not exactly what they'd like. I think they could be very similar to our Cotton bowl team that anal raped arkansas, but with a tiny bit more offense and not nearly as good on defense.

Jacie
8/22/2008, 11:01 AM
There are all of what, two that post here with any regularity? If you want to read the optimistic slant on 2008 as posted by real whorns, try this link:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=football

JackDignan
8/22/2008, 02:40 PM
As a horns fan I will say that I'm hoping for a 9 win season. I think the three game stretch around the with Colorado/OU/Missouri could be brutal on us unless our o-line and secondary gel quickly. Maybe I'm not as worried as I should be about Tech - they haven't proved anything to me yet - but we always seem to drop a game we shouldn't late in the season.

batonrougesooner
8/22/2008, 03:29 PM
but we always seem to drop a game we shouldn't late in the season.

Know what you mean.

OUMallen
8/22/2008, 04:19 PM
but we always seem to drop a game we shouldn't late in the season.

That's familiar.

califsooner
8/22/2008, 07:07 PM
Whorns.....great year.......title hopes..............got nuthin!!! I'm hearing you may see alot of reps from Chiles at QB this year cus of his athleticism and his nice showing in the bowl game as well. I guess a guy better than McCoy should be playing. lol

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2008, 07:22 PM
I dunno, I guess I have a hard time believing the horns won't be good. Good recruiting and tradition count for a lot in my book. I have this sneaking suspicion that MU is going to find out that 1 year of tradition doesn't measure up to decades when they visit Austin.

califsooner
8/22/2008, 07:41 PM
Not a bad call actually......but definitely are underachieving with the top notch classes they've had the last 3-5 years for sure. Speaking of a 1 year run measuring up, wait til you hear that loud thud of a season KU may have. An okay team coming back, but finally some real non-conf games (S. Fla) along with coming to our house. Not good for Mangino. Mizzou's offense gonna be high powered again though guys, let's hope we have a date with them in KC!!!!!

Partial Qualifier
8/22/2008, 08:26 PM
Predictably,

Texas' non-conference will go something like this: vs. Florida Atlantic, UTEP and Rice they will leave their starters in through 5:00 left in the 4th and pull out every trick in the book to inflate the scores. Arkansas however will visit DKR as significant underdogs and give them all they can handle (and maybe win).

Most Texas fans will be sky-high from beating UTEP and Rice by 50 points, raving about athlete X's wicked highlights, etc. but the realistic horns will grumble about the close game against Arkansas.

Texas will barely beat Colorado on talent alone, then get seriously out-coached and otherwise manhandled by OU, then they'll go on a 4-game win streak including Mizzou @ DKR, their cursory come-from-behind yawner vs. OSU, a last-drive win in Lubbock and the Baylor auto-win.

Then they go to Lawrence and get beat by a couple touchdowns and with their sails fully deflated by what's already a 2 or 3 loss season -- this one's hard to call -- I think they Beat A&M in Austin but I wouldn't bet on it. If they can buy into the "redemption" theme Mack will be selling, they should win. But if they're a typical Longhorn team, look for Colt to put on his mopey, i-give-up sad face halfway through the 3rd - and an Aggie win.

Holiday Bowl, beat a bad team by a score like 42-34... or something similiar. Ho hum, another season of Longhorn Football.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/22/2008, 08:40 PM
Predictably,

Texas' non-conference will go something like this: vs. Florida Atlantic, UTEP and Rice they will leave their starters in through 5:00 left in the 4th and pull out every trick in the book to inflate the scores. Arkansas however will visit DKR as significant underdogs and give them all they can handle (and maybe win).

Most Texas fans will be sky-high from beating UTEP and Rice by 50 points, raving about athlete X's wicked highlights, etc. but the realistic horns will grumble about the close game against Arkansas.

Texas will barely beat Colorado on talent alone, then get seriously out-coached and otherwise manhandled by OU, then they'll go on a 4-game win streak including Mizzou @ DKR, their cursory come-from-behind yawner vs. OSU, a last-drive win in Lubbock and the Baylor auto-win.

Then they go to Lawrence and get beat by a couple touchdowns and with their sails fully deflated by what's already a 2 or 3 loss season -- this one's hard to call -- I think they Beat A&M in Austin but I wouldn't bet on it. If they can buy into the "redemption" theme Mack will be selling, they should win. But if they're a typical Longhorn team, look for Colt to put on his mopey, i-give-up sad face halfway through the 3rd - and an Aggie win.

Holiday Bowl, beat a bad team by a score like 42-34... or something similiar. Ho hum, another season of Longhorn Football.

Bullseye on that one. At least that is EXACTLY how I would have picked it, which frankly is a little scary.

Jacie
8/22/2008, 09:48 PM
This is NOT the year for Arkie pigz to go into Austix and beat ANYONE, let alone the whome team!