PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide Sooners

soonerboy_odanorth
8/22/2008, 12:16 AM
The question: Do we have them this year?

Lots of buzz about this team and their potential. But the one thing that has separated our NC championship teams of the past from our "just" conference championship/bowl championship teams is a certain "rawhide" toughness. And of course, that is not to overlook speed and athleticism. But moreso, what I mean is a unique blend of mental and athletic toughness.

Think of some of the 2000 characters: Calmus and Marshall patrolling the middle with a bunch of no-names in the front four who didn't miss a game and just played out of their skulls (including a nobody walk-on in Corey Heineke), guys who just played nasty in the DB, a QB with absolute refuse-to-lose mentality, a 5'6" RB that played like he was the biggest player on the field, an O-line that was a the model of consistency.

I think we have a clear handful of a few. going into 2008... can the rest follow that model?...

Brody Eldridge
Austin English
Ryan Reynolds (I know he's been injured... but he has played tough, IMO)
Chris Brown
Jon Cooper (Smallest. Toughest.)
Nic Harris
Juaquin Iglesias (J and Manny go over the middle as well as any larger receiver... that is toughness)
Manuel Johnson

That's a pretty good core. Who else is on the verge?

I'll offer to you where I think toughness needs to improve:

The left side O-line. They are physical marvels and future NFL millionaires, but have at times not taken over games when they should have.

Sam is the man, but needs to be that on the road (CU he was still green, not sure that TT is fair in that comparisons are subject to a scrambled nougat, but ISU was not exactly inspiring, and took him better than a quarter...almost two... to start making a difference in the Fiesta.)

Granger and McCoy. They have every ounce of genetics on their side. They've been killer... at times. They need to engage in complete and total shutdown.

JUCO's at LB. Different game, they gotta grow up fast.

n00bs at the corners. They have to make any pass attempt by the other team a shaky proposition at best.

Quentin Cheney. He is right there. Will he, or won't he?

Your thoughts as a point of discussion please....

goingoneight
8/22/2008, 12:24 AM
The toughest thing for a coach to do is to put a player in Josh Heupel's shoes. Add insult to injury, he has to put 85 of them into that blue-collar mold. The team just has to want it, every down, every game.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/22/2008, 12:54 AM
n00bs at the corners.

I'm really more of a free safety kinda guy...

8/22/2008, 12:55 AM
I could not agree more, goingoneight.

IronHorseSooner
8/22/2008, 06:29 AM
I was thinking of this exact issue yesterday- who are the inspirational guys on this team? I agree with all of your guys you put as motivational players, but I disagree about McCoy. He's one of those guys who has both talent and inspiration. I would also throw John Williams onto that list as well. He just keeps coming back.

BFS
8/22/2008, 07:57 AM
I would *** Matt Clapp to the Rawhide watch list!

CU Sooner
8/22/2008, 08:03 AM
Clapp to the Rawhide list!!!:O ;)

St. Louis Sooner
8/22/2008, 08:27 AM
Here here IHS!!: John Williams is a man among boys, and IF he can stay healthy and IF he hasn't lost a step due to all his injuries, then he and English are going to be any opposing OC's worst nightmare!

soonermix
8/22/2008, 10:13 AM
do we need to assign somebody to go and kick everybody in the balls to make'em mean??