PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams Rule: NCAA edition

Sooner_Havok
8/21/2008, 04:47 PM
Hooray! Let's follow the NFL lead and further handcuff the defense!

This is such bullsh*t! (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3544920)

Hey, why don't we make tackling illegal, someone might get hurt! NCAA Flag Football! Hell, better get rid of the D and O-lines too they hit each other to much. Seven on Seven, 5 Mississippi rule will be enforced!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
8/21/2008, 04:51 PM
"If the ball carrier is grabbed by the shoulder or jersey and just ridden to the ground over a couple of yards, that's not going to be a foul."

Yeah, good luck with that. Watch 6 games a week, you'll see at least 6 different interpretations of this.

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2008, 04:56 PM
I think it is a good rule.

It is not impeding on the defense tackling abilities. If it is, then the defenders need to learn how to tackle again. No reason to grab the neck of the jersey to pull the runner down from behind. If you cannot trip up the runner or lunge at the runner from behind, then don't attempt a tackle.

Sooner_Havok
8/21/2008, 04:58 PM
I think it is a good rule.

It is not impeding on the defense tackling abilities. If it is, then the defenders need to learn how to tackle again. No reason to grab the neck of the jersey to pull the runner down from behind. If you cannot trip up the runner or lunge at the runner from behind, then don't attempt a tackle.

But if they have long hair, you can pull them down by that, it is part of the uniform. But touch the back of the jersey...

AlbqSooner
8/21/2008, 07:25 PM
In the '03 OU Bama game Dan Cody came into the backfield and was running parallel to the line of scrimmage. As he was tackled around the waist by an offensive lineman and falling to the ground he reached his hand out and grabbed the back opening of the running back's shoulder pads. Two yard loss for Bama. Illegal under this new rule.

jkjsooner
8/21/2008, 09:53 PM
But if they have long hair, you can pull them down by that, it is part of the uniform. But touch the back of the jersey...

Actually, I know the NFL had the Ricky Williams rule interpretation/clarification allowing a defender to grab the hair but I swear I remember us getting a personal foul either last year or the year before for doing it.

I remember being ticked because the guy had really long hair and if you can't grab his hair (either intentionally or unintentionally) then that puts the long haired player at a tremendous advantage.

If you don't want your hair grabbed, cut it. We don't need guys being hesitant because when they're grabbing for anything they may grab the hair.

MissouriSooner
8/21/2008, 11:09 PM
We got penalized for pulling a guy's hair in the Colorado game. Stupid rule, since if a player has anything hanging from his body or uniform other than his face mask, it ought to be fair game. Don't like it? Cut your hair.

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2008, 11:13 PM
Here comes all the whining again about how soft the game has gotten. Football is still keeping plenty of orthopedic surgeons in business and I doubt this rule will reduce that stat very much. I just look at this as a another potential advantage for a well coached team. Sloppy teams than cannot adapt will suffer.

goingoneight
8/22/2008, 12:22 AM
Why is grazing the facemask considered a foul, but vicious stiff arms aren't?

Rules are We Todd Did.

OU-HSV
8/22/2008, 01:50 AM
In the '03 OU Bama game Dan Cody came into the backfield and was running parallel to the line of scrimmage. As he was tackled around the waist by an offensive lineman and falling to the ground he reached his hand out and grabbed the back opening of the running back's shoulder pads. Two yard loss for Bama. Illegal under this new rule.

Exactly.
We've had this conversation plenty before, but now it hits the college level, geeze.
I hate the rule in the NFL, and now I get to hate the rule in college.
Who cares how you bring them down. That's the point of the game. I understand purposely tripping by kicking their legs out from under them, or kicking a runner in the nads should be illegal for obvious reasons. But come on, give me a freakin break...if you're a defender trying to catch up with a ball carrier who might have a slight speed advantage on you and the only way you can bring them down is from behind by the collar of the pads or by the shoulder pads themselves, who freaking cares. Let them play like the tough dudes they are. They're not out there because they're sissies, they're out there cause they're hard asses who can handle contact. And if they can't handle contact, then that's their problem, they should quit.
This rule is stupid.
The End

BornandBred
8/23/2008, 02:29 AM
Come on, this is still TACKLE FOOTBALL, right? I mean, I understand trying to protect guys that can't defend themselves, ie roughing the passer, but geeze. Tackling a guy by anything but the facemask is fair game, in my opinion.

OU_Sooners75
8/23/2008, 02:31 AM

Cut your hair.

If you have every been tackled by the horse collar, you would know that this rule is a good rule.

OU_Sooners75
8/23/2008, 02:35 AM
Why is grazing the facemask considered a foul, but vicious stiff arms aren't?

Rules are We Todd Did.

If you stiff arm and grab the face mask and twist the head, it will be called face mask on the ball carrier.

A legal stiff arm is with an open hand, using the palm to push the player away. As long as it stays legal, then it doesn't matter how vicious the stiff arm is.

Grabbing the face mask and stiff arms are two very different things. You have to give the ball carrier something, because he is already at a disadvantage considering he can do only some much on his feet with one hand.

OU_Sooners75
8/23/2008, 02:36 AM
Exactly.
We've had this conversation plenty before, but now it hits the college level, geeze.
I hate the rule in the NFL, and now I get to hate the rule in college.
Who cares how you bring them down. That's the point of the game. I understand purposely tripping by kicking their legs out from under them, or kicking a runner in the nads should be illegal for obvious reasons. But come on, give me a freakin break...if you're a defender trying to catch up with a ball carrier who might have a slight speed advantage on you and the only way you can bring them down is from behind by the collar of the pads or by the shoulder pads themselves, who freaking cares. Let them play like the tough dudes they are. They're not out there because they're sissies, they're out there cause they're hard asses who can handle contact. And if they can't handle contact, then that's their problem, they should quit.
This rule is stupid.
The End

So should the clothes line be a legal tackle?

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2008, 02:44 AM

Only when the opponent is Texass, SUC, LSU, or Oklahoma State!

OU-HSV
8/23/2008, 10:10 PM

No, the clothes line is obviously more aggressive and has direct impact on the neck and head region..and there's more potential for injury with a clothesline

soonerinabilene
8/23/2008, 10:32 PM
somewhere on this saturday evening, sooner-n-ga is masturbating to the new college rulebook.

Curly Bill
8/23/2008, 10:33 PM
somewhere on this saturday evening, sooner-n-ga is masturbating to the new college rulebook.

I'm surprised he hasn't made an appearance to gloat.