PDA

View Full Version : Gene Upshaw dies....

swardboy
8/21/2008, 08:09 AM
...just scrolled across the CNBC screen.

Is this #3?

Great football player....controversial player's union chief, but who wouldn't be in that position I guess.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2008, 08:25 AM
Didn't know he had pancreatic cancer. That's some nasty stuff...

Paperclip
8/21/2008, 09:54 AM
Just diagnosed Sunday. That was fast!

snp
8/21/2008, 01:45 PM
The next guy needs to fix that outrageous rookie contract deal.

badger
8/21/2008, 02:18 PM
I hope my first post didn't make it seem like I'm not sympathetic to the situation that his family is likely going through now following his death. It is indeed tragic that his retirement, that I was admittedly hoping for, is coming not voluntarily, but through death.

goingoneight
8/22/2008, 07:48 PM
Just diagnosed Sunday. That was fast!

Last Thursday, my great aunt went to the hospital to have surgery because of a spot on her liver... she passed away a week later from cancer that was found all throughout her body during the surgery. You just never know when it's time.

John Kochtoston
8/22/2008, 07:57 PM
He was a fairly lazy player's union head - just collecting his paycheck while promoting the status quo. but, perhaps now the nfl will have a new agreement with the players in place that will not leads to the end of the salary cap.

I'd really disagree with this. Gene may have been many things, but lazy wasn't one of them. Under his watch, the players finally got free agency, and a CBA that guaranteed players almost 60% of total revenues. He may not have been everyone's ideal, and he may not have done everything right, but lazy he wasn't.

starclassic tama
8/22/2008, 10:55 PM
yet another ridiculous post by badger. especially the part where she compared jenna plumley's suspension to gene upshaw's death... what does that even mean?

Sooner04
8/22/2008, 11:48 PM
I hope my first post didn't make it seem like I'm not sympathetic to the situation that his family is likely going through now following his death. It is indeed tragic (like this right here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2368510#post2368510)) that his retirement, that I was admittedly hoping for, is coming not voluntarily, but through death.
You are comparing a man dying of pancreatic cancer to a stupid-assed college kid who was caught scratching the bar codes off of cheap cosmetics? Look, I was around for SoonerWill and all that, but the above may be the single dumbest thing I have EVER read on this message board.

Maybe I'm gun shy because my mother-in-law died of cancer a few months ago at the ripe age of 47, but have some friggin' perspective!

starclassic tama
8/23/2008, 12:35 AM
i actually think nickzepp might provide more insight than badger

sooner59
8/23/2008, 01:42 AM
Surely Badger was misspoken or was drinking or did something other that what was was meant by that. I give her the benefit of the doubt due to her longevity. It not, then it was definitely in poor taste.

badger
8/23/2008, 09:14 AM
I was only calling attention to what had just happened to Plumley here on the football board, not meaning to compare the two (posting basketball threads in the football forum is a no-no, so I was just providing a link, but comparing the two)

I think there are some who took me severely out of context - like I said, the Jenna thing was just announced minutes before. Obviously death is more tragic than a Sooner player not enrolling, but what I meant was that they were both sad situations! In any event, because I can see what I wrote upset a few of you, I have removed it.

starclassic, I've tried to keep the peace before, but if you really hate what I write, simply don't read it. you have the option of ignoring posts.

starclassic tama
8/23/2008, 01:59 PM
no hard feelings, and i definitely was not upset by any post... just thought it was hilarious/ridiculous. it's ok, knowledge and insight are not for all of us

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2008, 02:35 PM
In a sense, Plumley's incident is more tragic. We all have to die; we all don't have to shoplift.

Heh. Have fun with that one.

Curly Bill
8/23/2008, 02:38 PM
In a sense, Plumley's incident is more tragic. We all have to die; we all don't have to shoplift.

Heh. Have fun with that one.

Oh my God, you insensitive brute! I am so appalled!!! ;)

badger
8/23/2008, 05:10 PM
no hard feelings, and i definitely was not upset by any post... just thought it was hilarious/ridiculous. it's ok, knowledge and insight are not for all of us

Thanks, tama. I really appreciate it (although I see that you also tried to insult me in the process, I will let it go). I want to get along with everyone here, I want to have fun, I don't want to offend anyone, and on top of that - FIRST FOOTBALL GAME IN A WEEK!

:) Let's just move on. Have some peace green.

badger
8/23/2008, 05:12 PM
Oh my God, you insensitive brute! I am so appalled!!! ;)

:pop:

Curly Bill
8/23/2008, 05:15 PM
:pop:

That was just my little nose-thumbing at the sensitivity police. :D

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2008, 08:15 PM
Gene Upshaw's death may have been tragic to his family, but I never even knew him. The news warrants just a shrug from me. A 64-year old man dies of cancer. Whatever.