PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Brown the most underrated player in the 12?

Blitzkrieg
8/21/2008, 07:56 AM
I remember posting last year about this time that Brown would have a big year, and many said he'd never see the field with AP and Murray playing the same position. When we were losing to MU in the 4th quarter, it was his tough downhill running that made the difference. He also was a great punch it in the red zone guy as well. 10 tds and almost none of them were in garbage time.

I'd like to see he and Calpp in a backfield pounding the other teams D-line into submission as we run out the clock in the Cotton Bowl.

swardboy
8/21/2008, 08:20 AM
I'd like to see he and Calpp in a backfield pounding the other teams D-line into submission as we run out the clock in the Cotton Bowl.

Looked like Matt was having a lot of fun running the ball last spring, and he looked impressive....yes, that would be an entertaining throwback to Steve Owens-style ball.

I think Curtis is as scary for opposing teams to prepare for as any of our running backs. His dependability demoralizes other d's. Maybe other fans don't appreciate his contributions, but I'm sure all the other D coordinators do!

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 08:23 AM
I probably underrate Chris Brown... but he still stinks.

MojoRisen
8/21/2008, 08:41 AM
I saw his highschool highlight films and never underratted him. He is rock solid - he had some sick runs coming out of highschool

OUMallen
8/21/2008, 08:46 AM
I've never been overly impressed with Chris, but we still owe him huge props for getting out of the endzone (barely) in KC for ENA's Big XII.

The Maestro
8/21/2008, 08:48 AM
I appreciate Chris Brown for being a hard working Sooner. Having said that, I prefer Murray or Mossis over him since they can do "other" things. Larry Csonka style running bores me. Announcers always say, "Chris Brown can get you three tough yards." Great. Give it to a guy who can go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Brown has a role, no doubt. But a steady diet of running plays that could go to someone who can take it the distance seems like a better idea.

sooneron
8/21/2008, 08:49 AM
You people are on crack.
Larry Csonka?
Iw34csQ1OE8

:rolleyes:

There are prolly about 90 schools where he could be starting, ala Tashard Choice.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 08:51 AM
I appreciate Chris Brown for being a hard working Sooner. Having said that, I prefer Murray or Mossis over him since they can do "other" things. Larry Csonka style running bores me. Announcers always say, "Chris Brown can get you three tough yards." Great. Give it to a guy who can go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Brown has a role, no doubt. But a steady diet of running plays that could go to someone who can take it the distance seems like a better idea.

Hey. That might have been too logical for this thread.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 08:56 AM
Larry Csonka? (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8ZqNc61I7vQATgr8w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dnhnncq/EXP=1219413261/**http%3a//streamingmovies.ign.com/sports/csonka_004_free.wmv)

Yeah. (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8ZqNc61I7vQATgr8w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dnhnncq/EXP=1219413261/**http%3a//streamingmovies.ign.com/sports/csonka_004_free.wmv)

The Maestro
8/21/2008, 08:56 AM
You people are on crack.
Larry Csonka?
Iw34csQ1OE8

:rolleyes:

There are prolly about 90 schools where he could be starting, ala Tashard Choice.

I agree Chris could be starting at a lot of schools. Great back. But your highlight proved my point. You had to skip an entire season to find one like that.

OUMallen
8/21/2008, 09:16 AM
And he had excellent blocking, broke one arm tackle. He's good, and he would start other palces, for sure, but he's more a Kejuan Jones, as an analogy.

starrca23
8/21/2008, 09:29 AM
Renaldo Works=Chris Brown

soonerfan28
8/21/2008, 09:44 AM
He's not a flashy runner and nobody is going to remember a highlight from a guy who has very few. With that said I think he is a huge asset to the team. It's like comparing Barry Sanders to Emmitt Smith. Two great RB's but Barry had a much better skill set then Emmitt did. Murray is flashier then Brown, but they both get the job done.

OUMallen
8/21/2008, 09:46 AM
Better comparison.

OUMallen
8/21/2008, 09:47 AM
He's not a flashy runner and nobody is going to remember a highlight from a guy who has very few. With that said I think he is a huge asset to the team. It's like comparing Barry Sanders to Emmitt Smith. Two great RB's but Barry had a much better skill set then Emmitt did. Murray is flashier then Brown, but they both get the job done.

That's the point, though, that Brown and the other guys don't get the same job done. At any rate, Brown busts his arse for OU and is rewarded with playing time, and has contributed in meaningful ways to wins. That's all you can ask of the guy.

soonerfan28
8/21/2008, 10:06 AM
I think it all goes back to what people consider a highlight. He's never gonna be flashy like Murray and he probably doesn't have great speed, but I think other coaches respect him as much as Murray.

rondog79
8/21/2008, 10:46 AM
chris brown is a huge part in OUr winning he's the guy that we can go to on 3rd and short. he gets the job done to answer the original question i do feel he either underrated or under appresiated <-----sorry for spelling

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 11:08 AM
chris brown is a huge part in OUr winning he's the guy that we can go to on 3rd and short. he gets the job done to answer the original question i do feel he either underrated or under appresiated <-----sorry for spelling

I like Brown for his humble solid performance, but he is not a huge part of our winning. Solid quality guy that we plug in to the team on occasion. If he stopped playing today, we wouldn't feel much effect. Sucks to say that, but it's true.

rainiersooner
8/21/2008, 11:26 AM
To answer the question - I don't think he's underrated...I think he is respected for what he is: a solid, dependable, workmanlike running back who does what his asked of him.

JLEW1818
8/21/2008, 11:28 AM
Big Brown!!!

NormanPride
8/21/2008, 11:29 AM
Brown is a road warrior. He saved our asses in multiple places last year when we couldn't move the ball. One of the most clutch runs I've seen was against ISU where he ran around the entire D to get a first down. Huge play.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 11:29 AM
Big Brown!!!

Big Brown, indeed.

Pfft. Post padder.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2008, 11:31 AM
Brown is a road warrior. He saved our asses in multiple places last year when we couldn't move the ball. One of the most clutch runs I've seen was against ISU where he ran around the entire D to get a first down. Huge play.

I've just never looked at him like that. Just solid, but nothing that impressive .Got any linkies?

soonersn20xx
8/21/2008, 11:32 AM
Solid guy and a quality back, but not a gamebreaker with great vision.

soonermix
8/21/2008, 11:40 AM
you gotta have a guy that almost guarentees you 3 tough yards when you need them. chris brown is that guy

Blitzkrieg
8/21/2008, 11:54 AM
Gamebreakers are put into position to have one highlight by the multiple times Brown gains 4 yards on first down. Then we have options in our play calling.

It's kinda like the old adage that offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. Murray sells tickets, Brown wins games.

Whoever said they's rather have Madu in there in place of brown is on Whitney Houston grade carck.

JLEW1818
8/21/2008, 12:03 PM
Brown looked pretty good against Mizzo, just watched replay.

soonerfan28
8/21/2008, 12:07 PM
Brown reminds me of Marion Barber who isn't doing to bad with the 7 year 45 million dollar deal that he signed with Dallas with 16 million of that guaranteed. The get the tough yard when need be, but neither are flashy.

tommieharris91
8/21/2008, 12:09 PM
While I do agree with everyone here who says you need a RB who can convert 3rd & 2's consistently, I don't think Chris Brown is underrated or overrated.

JLEW1818
8/21/2008, 12:11 PM
only a junior !!!!

soonersn20xx
8/21/2008, 12:23 PM
I think we are all glad to him on the team, we are just saying that he is not being underrated by the thread starter.

Blitzkrieg
8/21/2008, 12:28 PM
I say that because Javorskie Lane was rated the best back in the Big 12 on some list the other day. WTF? Then it list lucky, murray, etc. If he was at MU or KU, he'd be second team pre season all big 12. He doesn't get a mention for OU, hence the underrated talk.

OUMallen
8/21/2008, 12:32 PM
I say that because Javorskie Lane was rated the best back in the Big 12 on some list the other day. WTF? Then it list lucky, murray, etc. If he was at MU or KU, he'd be second team pre season all big 12. He doesn't get a mention for OU, hence the underrated talk.

Any column that lists Porkie as the #1RB in the conference loses all credibility immeidately.

The Maestro
8/21/2008, 12:37 PM
Well, I guess I am the one on Whitney Houston's crack pipe...I just don't think Mossis has gotten the opportunity to display his talents. But he can run, catch and juke...he just seems like more of a weapon to me than Chris Brown. I see Brown like a fullback, anyway. While Lydell Carr often had to bust plays in the middle, Patrick Collins and Anthony Stafford were the game breakers.

This thread has run its course. We all appreciate Chris Brown...just see his role differently.

snp
8/21/2008, 01:41 PM
Brown isn't even the most underrated player at OU, that is Brody Eldridge. Rewatch that video posted earlier and look who clears the way.

St. Louis Sooner
8/21/2008, 03:36 PM
I like the prospect of Brown coming off the bench after an opposing defense has been chasing Murray and/or our receivers all over the place. It's too bad he isn't bigger/stronger/heavier ... then we'd really put the hurt on them<-nothing seals a game better than pounding a defense with the run in the fourth quarter.

He changes the nature of our running attack since he's basically a downhill runner with a little more strength, but he doesn't change it by much. And he's definitely not as talented as Murray/Madu.

In all ... he's right where he should be. sorry maestro ... this thread has interested me all day ... I just haven't been able to reply until now. :)

JLEW1818
8/21/2008, 03:39 PM
We need Brown to win the Championship, that is they way I look at it. Very important player on our team.

The Maestro
8/21/2008, 03:43 PM
I like the prospect of Brown coming off the bench after an opposing defense has been chasing Murray and/or our receivers all over the place. It's too bad he isn't bigger/stronger/heavier ... then we'd really put the hurt on them<-nothing seals a game better than pounding a defense with the run in the fourth quarter.

He changes the nature of our running attack since he's basically a downhill runner with a little more strength, but he doesn't change it by much. And he's definitely not as talented as Murray/Madu.

In all ... he's right where he should be. sorry maestro ... this thread has interested me all day ... I just haven't been able to reply until now. :)

That's my point...you didn't add anything new. Oh, well...

NormanPride
8/21/2008, 04:08 PM
Well, I guess I am the one on Whitney Houston's crack pipe...I just don't think Mossis has gotten the opportunity to display his talents. But he can run, catch and juke...he just seems like more of a weapon to me than Chris Brown. I see Brown like a fullback, anyway. While Lydell Carr often had to bust plays in the middle, Patrick Collins and Anthony Stafford were the game breakers.

This thread has run its course. We all appreciate Chris Brown...just see his role differently.

This is a good point. Chris isn't even the most underrated RB on our team, IMO. Mossis will make plays this year, and will go a long way in spelling Murray when he needs a rest.

starclassic tama
8/21/2008, 07:37 PM

thank god you are not coaching our team. brown is one of the better backs in the big 12. what can madu do that brown can't besides warm up the bench? brown has easily the best vision out of our backs, do you know what that is?

JLEW1818
8/21/2008, 07:39 PM
We wont win it all without Brown. He is a key part of our team.

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2008, 11:37 PM
thank god you are not coaching our team. brown is one of the better backs in the big 12. what can madu do that brown can't besides warm up the bench? brown has easily the best vision out of our backs, do you know what that is?

I don't know if it's vision or patience (maybe both), but Chris has it. I loved AP's grit, but he had some bad games and would just sprint into a wall of lineman if the hole wasn't there. Chris was a great change of pace and would delay, slide to the side and wait until something developed. And he did it all season on a knee that required surgery. But I don't think he is under-rated; at least not by the coaches - they love him. It would be great if we could get Murray more touches, but so far he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

goingoneight
8/21/2008, 11:56 PM
Brown does NOT have the best vision... not a one of the backs with playing time come close to Murray's vision. Sorry, try again.

Brown weeds his way through garbage well, but come on... he wouldn't automatically be a starter anywhere else just because he's a Sooner with experience. His redshirt was burnt in place of an injured Murray in 2006, and he proved himself capable of squeezing between tight spaces and staying forward. Anyone who doesn't see how amazingly talented Murray is doesn't know running backs, period. If he returns to last season's form health-wise and gets primary back amount of carries, he's going to have a monster year and rank among OU's best.

Can OU win with Brown? Yes... but there's a reason why he is listed below Murray. If Brown has such great vision, how come he didn't lead the nation in kickoff returns, or even return kickoffs for that matter? Brown would have probably tripped over JJF against Tejas last year or been stuffed by Beasley. Murray OTOH, had the vision, the athleticism and reflexes to hurdle like it was second nature and completely outrun Texas' defense.

I'm glad he's been here, and I'd be lying if I told you we wouldn't miss his steady play in recent years, but to assume he's some gem that would start at 90 schools is laughable. Madu has Murray-esque talent, but isn't the durable type to take the beatings every down. As we all assumed in 2007, you cannot play four running backs and expect incredible stats. AP was the starter, a senior captain and proven commodity... Murray was the flash-and-dash who could hit homeruns with his eyes closed and Brown was the designated steady guy for short yardage, "beat this guy up" downs. When you have the TEs and receivers, along with a surprise QB like Bradford, the touches don't always justify the talent on hand.

Ask yourself honestly, if Murray, Brown and Madu were all getting 25-30 a game ala AD and AP... who has the most yards and who is the most impressive en route to those yards... you'll find yourself repeating one name. DeMarco, when healthy... is about as exciting a player on offense as you can find. IMO, with the steady play of Brown, the lightning package Murray brings and the up-and-comers... we're by far the best RB stable in the conference, top five in the country.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 12:09 AM
I don's see why your bashing Brown. Looks like Brown can hold himself together physically a little more then Murray can. We nee Brown just as much as we need Murray.

MojoRisen
8/22/2008, 09:43 AM
Brown is damn good, he has great vision and gets behind his pads well. He has speed as well and almost always makes the first guy miss.

Don't kid yourself - this guy had offers all over the SEC and is a stud. We are just really freakin deep at RB and Murray could be a special player.

Brown could easily have 1600 yards if he started

Position Limit
8/22/2008, 09:59 AM
chicks dig offense. they need razzle dazzle to keep their attention. otherwise it's just a game with a winner and a loser. there's also a very high correlation between recruiting hype and fan preference. most brown haters did'nt even know he was listed on the roster until his first snap. it's kind of like the beer bellied fans that could not understand why bradford was named the starter over the kid from michigan. love watching me some brown hammering the ball downfield. he does his job very well. i for one, am going to enjoy watching the kid play this year. he's going to continue to impress.

The Maestro
8/22/2008, 10:14 AM
We wont win it all without Brown. He is a key part of our team.

So now we can't win a title without him? And he doesn't even start??? Yeah, I can think of a lot of teams that lost the title because a backup running back got hurt or was no longer on the team.

As for the newbie that asked me if I knew what vision was, yes I do. And my vision will prove that when the season starts number 7 is going to trot out onto the field and start at running back. Chris Brown is a capable backup and adds a lot to the team. But our season hardly rests on him and his performance. He does what is asked and I commend him for that, but he is NOT the most underrated player in the Big 12 or even at OU for that matter. Barring injury, he will probably never start a game at OU and that doesn't make him a bad player, just not the best at his position. And at OU, that still means you are dang good. Case and point...last year he averaged 3.9 yards a carry...1.9 yards per carry less than AP or the few carries Mossis got...2.1 yards per carry less than DeMarco.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 10:47 AM
Seriously, this thread is freaking me out. Chris Brwn is solid, but we can't win it all without him? Then we can't win it all with him.

He has never changed the course of a game in my recollection. I suspect that any of our running backs could do as well as he has done in similar situations. I do trust the guy. He hangs on to the ball and he runs hard, but he isn't a big tackle breaker. He doesn't run anyone over. He doesn't fake people out of their jocks. He doesn't out run anyone.

How did he get so good all of a sudden? It's like we're talking about a super star here and he is just a cog in the machine as far as I can tell.

hOlden caUlfield...
8/22/2008, 10:49 AM
Brown does NOT have the best vision... not a one of the backs with playing time come close to Murray's vision. Sorry, try again.

Brown weeds his way through garbage well, but come on... he wouldn't automatically be a starter anywhere else just because he's a Sooner with experience. His redshirt was burnt in place of an injured Murray in 2006, and he proved himself capable of squeezing between tight spaces and staying forward. Anyone who doesn't see how amazingly talented Murray is doesn't know running backs, period. If he returns to last season's form health-wise and gets primary back amount of carries, he's going to have a monster year and rank among OU's best.

Can OU win with Brown? Yes... but there's a reason why he is listed below Murray. If Brown has such great vision, how come he didn't lead the nation in kickoff returns, or even return kickoffs for that matter? Brown would have probably tripped over JJF against Tejas last year or been stuffed by Beasley. Murray OTOH, had the vision, the athleticism and reflexes to hurdle like it was second nature and completely outrun Texas' defense.

I'm glad he's been here, and I'd be lying if I told you we wouldn't miss his steady play in recent years, but to assume he's some gem that would start at 90 schools is laughable. Madu has Murray-esque talent, but isn't the durable type to take the beatings every down. As we all assumed in 2007, you cannot play four running backs and expect incredible stats. AP was the starter, a senior captain and proven commodity... Murray was the flash-and-dash who could hit homeruns with his eyes closed and Brown was the designated steady guy for short yardage, "beat this guy up" downs. When you have the TEs and receivers, along with a surprise QB like Bradford, the touches don't always justify the talent on hand.

Ask yourself honestly, if Murray, Brown and Madu were all getting 25-30 a game ala AD and AP... who has the most yards and who is the most impressive en route to those yards... you'll find yourself repeating one name. DeMarco, when healthy... is about as exciting a player on offense as you can find. IMO, with the steady play of Brown, the lightning package Murray brings and the up-and-comers... we're by far the best RB stable in the conference, top five in the country.

I totally agree 100%.

Blitzkrieg
8/22/2008, 10:56 AM
This threa dis totally proving how underrated he is when our own fans don't realize his value and talent.

He would start at every Big 12 school as a first down back, I say that not as a sooner, but as someone that realizes how important it is to have a back that when there is no hole to run through, he ducks his pads and drives forward for 3 years. The difference in success on 3rd and 4 versus 3rd and 7 is huge.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 10:59 AM
Seriously, this thread is freaking me out. Chris Brwn is solid, but we can't win it all without him? Then we can't win it all with him.

He has never changed the course of a game in my recollection. I suspect that any of our running backs could do as well as he has done in similar situations. I do trust the guy. He hangs on to the ball and he runs hard, but he isn't a big tackle breaker. He doesn't run anyone over. He doesn't fake people out of their jocks. He doesn't out run anyone.

How did he get so good all of a sudden? It's like we're talking about a super star here and he is just a cog in the machine as far as I can tell.

Oh so he never change the course of a game? How bout the first time we played Missouri. 3 touchdowns in THE SECOND HALF, 2 of those in the fourth. If he was not that good, then AP would have ran all three of those plays. I'm not saying he is God, but he helped out a ton last year.

OU4LIFE
8/22/2008, 11:06 AM
When was CB's last rap video on youtube? Or the last time he made a negative news headline?

that alone makes him a must have for me.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 04:00 PM
Oh so he never change the course of a game? How bout the first time we played Missouri. 3 touchdowns in THE SECOND HALF, 2 of those in the fourth. If he was not that good, then AP would have ran all three of those plays. I'm not saying he is God, but he helped out a ton last year.

Fine. He helped out. That's what I am saying. You realize that Chris had some blocking right? He can run. He doesn't fumble. He runs hard. That's it. He's not a game breaker. If AP had run those palys, he probably would have done just as well.

We use a stable of backs and always have, even when AD was here (decidedly less when he was here though). I never said he wasn't good. You said we can't win without him. That's a total over statement.

jackietreehorn
8/22/2008, 05:05 PM
So the answer to the question is "No"

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 05:08 PM
Fine. He helped out. That's what I am saying. You realize that Chris had some blocking right? He can run. He doesn't fumble. He runs hard. That's it. He's not a game breaker. If AP had run those palys, he probably would have done just as well.

We use a stable of backs and always have, even when AD was here (decidedly less when he was here though). I never said he wasn't good. You said we can't win without him. That's a total over statement.

Okay so why did AP not run those plays? Chris Brown is a huge part of the Oklahoma Sooner offense. He is solid.

IronHorseSooner
8/22/2008, 05:22 PM
I couldn't believe it the other day when Herbie and Cowherd said that he might be the most underrated player in the country! Just WoW!

The Maestro
8/22/2008, 05:34 PM
He is solid.

What happened to "We can't win it all without him!" ????

No one is questioning him being solid.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 05:52 PM
What happened to "We can't win it all without him!" ????

No one is questioning him being solid.

I honestly think we do need him to win.

The Maestro
8/22/2008, 06:08 PM
You kinda keep twisting words. You said earlier need him to win it all. Now you say we need him.

Oh, well...this is all just because it is 4 my time on the last Friday of the year without college football the following day.

But CB has 1, 100 yard game (2006) and his long carry last year was 17 whole yards. Here's hoping he wins the damn Heisman and some of you look real smart...as long as we win, what do I care?

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2008, 07:14 PM
Fine. He helped out. That's what I am saying. You realize that Chris had some blocking right? He can run. He doesn't fumble. He runs hard. That's it. He's not a game breaker. If AP had run those palys, he probably would have done just as well...

I have to disagree with that one. CB was most effective coming in when AP was not being effective - the classic change-of-pace back. Without Chris, we probably lose the ISU game last year. Murray was hurt and AP wasn't on his game. I'm not saying he is underrated, but he was clearly needed last year. It would be nice if DM could stay on the field for more carries, but it's nice to have a guy like CB if he can't.

starclassic tama
8/22/2008, 07:31 PM

of course he's not demarco murray, murray is a superstar. what makes you think murray has the best vision? because he is without question the best athlete? because he is a gamebreaker when brown isn't? brown is a better between the tackles runner than murray, and i attribute that to vision.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 07:42 PM
In my opinion Brown has been just as good for us as Murray has. Don't get me wrong Murray will take off this year. No doubt about it.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 09:57 PM
I have to disagree with that one. CB was most effective coming in when AP was not being effective - the classic change-of-pace back. Without Chris, we probably lose the ISU game last year. Murray was hurt and AP wasn't on his game. I'm not saying he is underrated, but he was clearly needed last year. It would be nice if DM could stay on the field for more carries, but it's nice to have a guy like CB if he can't.

I agree, but it doesn't have to be Chris... Well, what the hell do I know? The was a time when I though that Q Griffen sucked. He proceeded to blow my mind.

Chris just hasn't done that yet, but I'll still take the guy. He's solid. He hangs on to the rock. That's pretty damned good.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 10:07 PM
In my opinion Brown has been just as good for us as Murray has. Don't get me wrong Murray will take off this year. No doubt about it.

But DM shows greatness. Will CB? It seems less likely. He doesn't dazzle.

Ok, maybe this is an Emmit Smith situation for me. I was a Cowboy freak when I lived in Dallas for 10 years. I scrutinized Emmit. He found and hit the hole fast and that was his biggest attribute IMO. Other than that he never blew me away. He wasn't very shifty. Just solidand found the hole better than most. He had the best line in the NFL for years. When he got hit, it was over. My favorite guy from back then is Jay Novacek.

Anyway, I don't think that CB is Emmit either (he runs harder. Heh), but he's still good.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 10:13 PM
But DM shows greatness. Will CB? It seems less likely. He doesn't dazzle.

Ok, maybe this is an Emmit Smith situation for me. I was a Cowboy freak when I lived in Dallas for 10 years. I scrutinized Emmit. He found and hit the hole fast and that was his biggest attribute IMO. Other than that he never blew me away. He wasn't very shifty. Just solidand found the hole better than most. He had the best line in the NFL for years. When he got hit, it was over. My favorite guy from back then is Jay Novacek.

Anyway, I don't think that CB is Emmit either (he runs harder. Heh), but he's still good.

Regardless we have two proven backs DM and CB!!

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2008, 10:14 PM
I agree, but it doesn't have to be Chris... Well, what the hell do I know? The was a time when I though that Q Griffen sucked. He proceeded to blow my mind.

Chris just hasn't done that yet, but I'll still take the guy. He's solid. He hangs on to the rock. That's pretty damned good.

Maybe it could be Madu or Calhoun this year. I was just disagreeing with your statement that AP would have been just as good. Chris often went in when AP wasn't getting the job done. I don't know about the others in this thread, but my respect for CB as more than a journeyman comes from his performance when things were not going well. He would help right the ship and inject some confidence in the sidelines.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 10:20 PM
I think Calhoun will be a stud, maybe a RS this year? Then again backs are leaving after 3 years now days, so we might just play him. Who knows.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 10:36 PM
Seniors dance tradition

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/08aug/20080822_dancing.wmv&school=okla&

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe it could be Madu or Calhoun this year. I was just disagreeing with your statement that AP would have been just as good. Chris often went in when AP wasn't getting the job done. I don't know about the others in this thread, but my respect for CB as more than a journeyman comes from his performance when things were not going well. He would help right the ship and inject some confidence in the sidelines.

Back rotation helps and a different style runner helps with different play calls. It's speculation. He is our Kejuan Jones, right now. Same type of play calling. Granted I think he is more productive than Kejuan, but it's a change up and he's effective.

My point is that Chris doesn't change a whole lot in our O. We could have had Dane Zaslaw running those plays, if he could hang on to the ball. Probably a bad example but I am tired.

Curly Bill
8/22/2008, 10:42 PM
Seniors dance tradition

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/08aug/20080822_dancing.wmv&school=okla&

That was pretty funny, but I was sorta hoping it had more to do with the cheerleaders and less with the players. ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2008, 10:42 PM

You might remember that Renaldo Works, a guy that I didn't love much, rocked a fourth quarter run at the end of some game (again, I am tired) and saved our asses. It happens. They are on the field for a reason. I am not gonna say that Chris or Renaldo are underrated, but I am glad that they do their job.

starclassic tama
8/22/2008, 10:46 PM
alabama

SCOUT
8/22/2008, 11:28 PM
I look at Chris Brown, and running backs like him, as the blue collar football players. The emphasis is, and will always be, on the flashy highlight reel run. Don't get me wrong, those runs are fantastic and I LOVE having backs that can make them happen. To me though, there are often plays that seem lackluster that are truly gamebreakers. Chris Brown has had a fair share of these. They are the 1st down runs that result in 2nd and short. They are the 3rd down conversions that keep a drive going. They don't get a lot of publicity but they make all of the difference in the world. DeMarco Murray is the back that I would pick to start, but Chris Brown adds tremendous value on many of those plays that get glossed over in the highlights.

As an example, please remember AD vs. Baylor. I know that reference is pretty specific, but it has always stuck with me. AD had about 5 runs of 30 yards or more. One of them was a 70 run where he ran over the MLB and then the safety before highstepping into the endzone. The run that impressed me the most was a 6 yard gain in the mid 3rd quarter. It was 3rd and 4 and AD took the ball off left tackle. He got hit immediately but pushed, twisted and fought for every possible yard. He made his way for the first down on effort alone while pushing back 3 defensive players. It was amazing. Anyway, that play will never make the highlight reel but two plays later he made the run I referenced earlier. Without that push for a 1st down, he would never have been able to make that long run. Granted that that score was hardly a "gamebreaker" but you get the idea.

Chris Brown is the kind of back that pushes that extra yard to make big plays available to Bradford, Murray, Madu, heck the rest of the team. IMO of course.

JLEW1818
8/22/2008, 11:34 PM
why you trying to give me goosebumps talking about AD and his runs..... ahhhh the season is still a week away!!! i cant take it anymore . haha

Jdog
8/22/2008, 11:40 PM
DeMarc = Billy
Brownee = Kenny

They both both seem to be about team and need to be in the backfield at the same time.

Jdog
8/22/2008, 11:52 PM
first play of the season:

Bradford under center - two yards directly behind Sam would be Clapp in a four point stance. Lined up off of Clapp's right foot, a yard and 1/2 over would be CB and equally to his left would be DM.

Run the Bone just once for Jack.

It would be awesome.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/23/2008, 11:05 AM
DeMarc = Billy
Brownee = Kenny

They both both seem to be about team and need to be in the backfield at the same time.

How do you figure?

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2008, 02:55 PM
first play of the season:

Bradford under center - two yards directly behind Sam would be Clapp in a four point stance. Lined up off of Clapp's right foot, a yard and 1/2 over would be CB and equally to his left would be DM.

Run the Bone just once for Jack.

It would be awesome.

Do we have a #11 to play QB for that play? Even more awesome.

Jdog
8/23/2008, 04:16 PM
Do we have a #11 to play QB for that play? Even more awesome.

ditto -

JLEW1818
8/23/2008, 05:04 PM
So basically this time in a week what will everybody be doing??? less that an hour away...

Frozen Sooner
8/23/2008, 05:07 PM
Chris Brown is a very fundamentally sound back. I said it two years ago, I said it last year, and I'll say it now.

If by "He's KeJuan Jones" you mean that he's a primarily between-the-tackles guy whose speed isn't going to blow you away in the open field, then I'd probably agree with you to an extent (though his speed may surprise you-wasn't he a track star in Loiusiana HS?)

However, his fundamentals are much better than KJ's, particularly in his footwork.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2008, 01:51 PM
Chris Brown is a very fundamentally sound back. I said it two years ago, I said it last year, and I'll say it now.

If by "He's KeJuan Jones" you mean that he's a primarily between-the-tackles guy whose speed isn't going to blow you away in the open field, then I'd probably agree with you to an extent (though his speed may surprise you-wasn't he a track star in Loiusiana HS?)

However, his fundamentals are much better than KJ's, particularly in his footwork.

Runs between the tackles. Runs hard. Similar play calls for them and similar production. That's what I meant.

rainiersooner
8/25/2008, 03:16 PM
This thread is over: Kirk Herbstreit has opined!!! :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/news/story?id=3548678

Players Who Don't Get Enough Respect (Don't Worry Fellas, I've Got Your Back)

Entire Wake Forest football team, including head coach Jim Grobe

Nick Reed, DE, Oregon

Stafon Johnson, RB, Southern California

Brian Hartline, WR, Ohio State

Chris Brown, RB, Oklahoma

Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri

Brian Johnson, QB, Utah

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2008, 03:22 PM
This thread is over: Kirk Herbstreit has opined!!! :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/news/story?id=3548678

I saw that too. Well, if Herbie said it...

boomermagic
8/26/2008, 01:12 PM
I remember posting last year about this time that Brown would have a big year, and many said he'd never see the field with AP and Murray playing the same position. When we were losing to MU in the 4th quarter, it was his tough downhill running that made the difference. He also was a great punch it in the red zone guy as well. 10 tds and almost none of them were in garbage time.

I hope we are ahead by 4 td's and we have the sub's playing when we run out the clock against texas..