PDA

View Full Version : Stoops' philosophy captivated OU's Joe C.

Fraggle145
8/20/2008, 10:00 AM
Wed August 20, 2008
By John Helsley
Staff Writer
http://newsok.com/stoops-philosophy-captivated-ous-joe-c./article/3286063/?mp=0

NORMAN – Huddled in a DFW International Airport conference room, hashing out the final details of a job offer, Joe Castiglione sat across the table from Bob Stoops and surged with the satisfaction that he'd secured his No. 1 target as Oklahoma's next coach.

Then Stoops dropped a bombshell.

"I've got a little bit of a challenge here,” Stoops said.

Hesitantly, Castiglione waded in.

"Well, what is it?”

Said Stoops, "I'm supposed to meet with Iowa in the morning.”

Gulp.

Of course, Stoops became a Sooner, and the rest... history — more rich Sooner history, complete with a seventh national championship and restoration of OU pride and stature among the nation's football elite.

But a look back inside the search reveals how Stoops vaulted to the front of Castiglione's list and some anxious hours wondering if Stoops might be swayed by his alma mater.

Bitter end, new beginnings
The end of the John Blake era at OU was both surreal and startling to Castiglione.

On the job for just five months, the football coaching transition was Castiglione's first major move as athletic director.

Blake refused an opportunity to resign, despite an offer to buy out his contract in full. So a special meeting of the regents was called. Their votes – which were not unanimous – were carried out in an unusual public forum inside the Oklahoma Memorial Union on campus.

The decision, coming one day after the Sooners beat Texas Tech to end a 5-6 season, was controversial, reflecting emotions pro and against Blake among fans and players, some demanding action, others preferring patience.

On a Sunday, Nov. 22, 1998, the regents voted 4-2 to fire Blake in a roll call that was dramatically carried on live television and radio across the state.

"I never in my life imagined anything like that,” Castiglione said. "We all realize there's a high level of importance to decisions and how they're made. But to this day, I don't know of any (proceeding) like it. I just don't. Have never heard of it.”

In those moments, Castiglione discovered the gravity of the search he was about to conduct.

"If I wasn't able to quantify how important this process was,” Castiglione said, "that Sunday night cemented everything.”

Committee of one
Castiglione moved quickly to initiate his search. And it was his search — a committee of one.

University president David Boren didn't even have knowledge of the candidates.

"At the time, there was this sort of industry philosophy that you have a big search and create these big committees that represent all facets of campus and people have a chance to contribute what they think,” Castiglione said.

Castiglione was of a different philosophy.

His experience suggested that employed coaches don't like their names tossed around in regard to other jobs. And big committees lend themselves to big mouths.

Castiglione didn't want anything getting in the way of attracting the best coaches.

"They may not be willing to come and meet before a big group like that,” he said, "because of the risk factor.”

Castiglione had to convince Boren his way was the right way.

"We had a robust conversation about it,” Castiglione said.

In the end, Boren understood and agreed, yet found himself tempted at times to check in on the search and any potential names Castiglione might be willing to share.

To no avail.

"‘With all due respect, president, you're on a need-to-know basis,'” Castiglione said he jokingly told Boren. "‘When you need to know, I'll tell you.'

"Of course, he's the president. If he gave me a directive, I'd have told him.”

Castiglione did lean on a few people he trusted for advice and information. Among them: Lee Roy Selmon, Chuck Neinas and Eddie Crowder, all heavyweights tuned in to the pulse of college football.

Selmon, of course, is the former Sooner and NFL great who rose through the ranks at South Florida to become athlectic director. Neinas is a noted coaching headhunter, who operates his own consulting firm in Boulder, Colo. That's also where Crowder, another former Sooner great and former college coach, also resides, offering help in various coaching hires.

Working on their input and his own past experiences, Castiglione immediately formed two lists, A and 1A. Stoops, then a hot name as defensive coordinator at Florida, was the lone assistant making the cut for the A list.

When it came to Stoops, Castiglione sensed a need to act fast. Competition loomed in the chase for a new coach. Four other prominent programs — Clemson, South Carolina, Mississippi and most notably Iowa — also had athletic directors on the prowl.

So the Monday morning after Blake's firing, Castiglione made contact with Stoops.

That Wednesday: a face-to-face meeting in Dallas.

First impressions
Castiglione's first encounter with Bob Stoops came when he was at Missouri and Stoops was an assistant under Bill Snyder at Kansas State.

Jim Leavitt, a Missouri grad, was the co-defensive coordinator with Stoops at K-State. Leavitt introduced Stoops to Castiglione, who had accompanied the Tigers for a basketball game in Manhattan.

"If first impressions mean anything, the time I met him, he really impressed me,” Castiglione said.

"Sharp guy. It's one of those, you file it away.”

There was another chance encounter, on the football field when Missouri and K-State played. And when Stoops moved to Florida, overhauling the defense and helping Steve Spurrier win a national title, Castiglione again took note.

"‘That's a savvy move right there,' ” Castiglione said he remembered thinking.

"I had a chance to just sort of watch. I'm always watching.”

When Castiglione and Stoops met in the Admiral's Club at DFW Airport, the day before Thanksgiving, Castiglione was focused much deeper.

The formal interview lasted six hours. They talked, ate lunch, traded philosophies and volleyed questions back and forth.

"We didn't argue about his defensive philosophy,” Castiglione said with a laugh. "I wanted to learn a certain amount about his coaching philosophy. How he would think through his role as a head coach. How he would develop his program.”

Castiglione sought out all sorts of details, including game week preparation, recruiting philosophy, the importance of academics, the hiring of staff, what kind of offensive scheme Stoops might favor.

Then Stoops surprised Castiglione.

"One thing I never heard, ‘Give me five or six years.' Never once did he say that or infer it,” Castiglione said. "He said, ‘I don't think I would be fair to the players that we inherit or that we recruit that first year, if I didn't give them the best chance to be successful.

"‘I have to ask them to buy into my system. And I have to put them in the best position to be successful. I don't want to just throw away a year by excluding them from the process of building this program.'

"When he told me that, that was one of a number of things that just clicked with my philosophy.”

Castiglione said he was acutely aware of the plight of OU players. The Sooners were about to have their fourth coach in five years. For the seniors, their time under Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake were filled with disappointment and turmoil.

"We wanted them to have the best overall experience they could for as long as they were going to have eligibility,” Castiglione said. "Give them the chance to have a great experience, so they would remember that year as being something very important, that they contributed to this future success of the program.”

Stoops let it be known, the future was now.

"When he said that,” Castiglione said, "I'm thinking to myself, ‘All right.'

"Sometimes, at the end of the day, even though you have all the pieces together, there's something that grabs you in the gut and you know, that's the right one.

"With Bob, after that meeting, he got in my gut.”

The Iowa bombshell
Castiglione moved forward, conducting some interviews over the phone, one more in person with a standing head coach.

As was the case then, the Sooner athletic director still declines to name names out of ongoing respect for those involved and in keeping his word. Besides, who else had a chance?

Castiglione took the next step with Stoops, arranging another Admiral's Club interview that Sunday, this time with Boren, three regents, a booster, Neinas and Crowder.

Neinas — frequently used in coaching searches — informed the group that he had then-TCU coach Dennis Franchione on standby to come for a chat, if needed.

The group meeting with Stoops went brilliantly.

And when Stoops stepped out for a moment, a buzz filled the room.

Neinas and Boren announced that no more interviews were necessary, that OU had found its man. Soon everyone was in agreement and Castiglione joined Stoops in an adjoining room to discuss details of a deal.

"Bob Stoops had what I always thought important in a young head coach, and that's pedigree,” Crowder said this week from Boulder. "As far as being a good player, growing up in an environment of coaching, moving into his own career in coaching, he had about as good a pedigree as you could hope for.

"It became clear, this is the guy. By the time we finished that meeting, it was absolutely unanimous that this was the guy.”

Soon, Stoops was tempering the enthusiasm.

Yes, the interview had gone well, but Stoops had a commitment to talk to the folks at Iowa.

The same Iowa where Stoops had played and met his wife Carol and began his coaching career under Hayden Fry, who was retiring.

"I felt out of respect — I had been there 10 years, that's my alma mater — that I owed that to them,” Stoops recalled. "I'm a loyal person that way. I felt that I owed them that.”

For Castiglione, it only raised Stoops to another level. Still, it was hardly an encouraging revelation.

"You start to wonder,” Castiglione said, "the heart strings are tugging at the alma mater, they start rolling out the black and gold carpet, who knows who they roll out at this meeting, maybe coach Fry himself.

"Who knows?”

When Castiglione walked back through the door into the conference room, Boren and the others knew something was amiss.

"They knew when I walked in, they could just tell from my body language,” Castiglione said. "They said, ‘What?'

"I said, ‘Well, the good news is there's a characteristic here, if you can look beyond what I'm about to tell you, that just endears him more to the University of Oklahoma. But there is an area of concern.”

Stoops left to catch a flight for Iowa. The OU contingent talked, feeling confident and holding the framework for a deal with Stoops.

"All we could do was be patient and wait,” Castiglione said. "And that was a grueling 24 hours.”

In the end, there was no need for concern, although it did exist.

At that meeting with Iowa officials, however, athletic director Bob Bowlsby didn't roll out any black and gold carpet or enlist Fry to welcome Stoops home.

Instead, Bowlsby told Stoops they were considering him, as well as others.

"Fortunately,” Stoops said, "I realized that soon into the interview and made sure that everything was OK at Oklahoma.”

Oh, everything was OK, as soon as Stoops called with the good news that he'd be returning — for good.

Castiglione had gone to Boren's office that afternoon, where he nervously awaited Stoops' delayed call.

"I had my phone with me and finally got the call,” Castiglione said. "Bob had accepted the job.

"Of course, we were all ecstatic.”

The next day, Tuesday, Dec. 1, Stoops was introduced as OU's 21st head coach on the front porch of Evans Hall on the north oval.

Nine days after the firing of John Blake, Castiglione's search process came to a close.

Just like Blake's firing, there were initial mixed reviews, even among those in the media.

"I remember several people pointing their finger right into my shoulder saying, ‘I hope you realize what you have done,'” Castiglione said. "Basically, they were inferring we should have hired a sitting head coach.”

Such sentiments didn't last long.

"Now,” Castiglione says, "everybody says, ‘Oh, this was an easy hire. Bob Stoops was a no-brainer.' ”

Another nice Stoops article...

Fraggle145
8/20/2008, 10:02 AM
http://newsok.com/stoops-saw-ou-as-better-opportunity-than-iowa/article/3286065/?tm=1219232357

Stoops saw OU as better opportunity than Iowa

Wed August 20, 2008
By John Helsley,
Staff Writer

NORMAN – Oklahoma officials wanted Bob Stoops as their next coach, a point they made perfectly clear before Stoops left to keep his word and interview with Iowa.

The Hawkeyes weren't so clear, making Stoops' decision to lead the Sooners all the easier.

Might Stoops have been tempted by Iowa, his alma mater, with more a little more love factored in the equation?

Doubtful, according to Stoops, who said he saw the Sooners as the better opportunity.

"I've got to be honest,” Stoops said recently, "I felt all along that business-wise, this was the best opportunity. And fortunately for me it's worked out really well.”

It's worked for OU, too, with a seventh national title and 97 wins accumulated under his watch.

Yes, Stoops played at Iowa and got his coaching start with the Hawkeyes under the legendary Hayden Fry. And it was the retiring Fry that the next coach would replace.

But when Stoops — who had since coached as an assistant at Kansas State and Florida — agreed to interview for the opening with the Hawkeyes, he wasn't rushing back into extended loving arms.

"I felt out of respect — I had been there 10 years, that's my alma mater — that I owed that to them,” Stoops said. "I'm a loyal person that way. I felt that I owed them that.”

And nothing more, especially when Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby elected to slow-play the process. Stoops was at or near the top of Iowa's list, but Bowlsby and his interview committee wanted to interview other candidates.

As soon as his Iowa interview was over, Stoops was on the phone to OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. He'd be a Sooner.

"If Iowa really wanted me, it would have been there and present there, too, before the interview,” Stoops said. "It wasn't. So you live and learn.

"Deep down, I truly felt as well that I had done the Iowa thing. I felt, though my wife's from there, I had spent 10 years there. Sometimes, that's enough. And I loved it. I loved the people.

"But it's almost like you're always that kid. It was just time for something different is what my feeling was. And you know what, my wife was supportive. She felt the same way. It's time for something new.”

The follow up article...

fossil
8/20/2008, 10:37 AM
:) Thank God OU got Bob Stoops. I can't imagine where this vaunted program would be had they stuck with John Blake a second longer. His name will be on par with Bud Wilkinson in the hearts of all Sooner fans.

CatfishSooner
8/20/2008, 10:38 AM
niiiiiiiice...

soonersn20xx
8/20/2008, 10:57 AM
Stoops is God, nuff said. ;)

badger
8/20/2008, 11:08 AM
Wellll, fossil, Blake definitely wanted more time (he probably thinks that OU would have gotten the championship in 1999 instead of 2000 had he stayed). I think out of Sooner loyalty there were people who wanted to give Blake another chance.

You can't really fault Iowa for not begging an assistant coach with no head coaching experience to roll out the black and gold carpet, when they had other candidates like Kirk Ferentz on deck. Plus, it has worked out as well as it possibly could at a program like Iowa.

Iowa got its first BCS bid under Kirk - you may recall this was the year ESPN got us into the Rose Bowl by convincing the Orange Bowl officials that Iowa would load up the John Deere tractors and show up in droves for the game. The pushy ESPN badgering of the Orange Bowl to take Iowa was brutal and it worked and if it weren't for the fact that it meant OU would go Rose Bowling, I would have probably felt sick on Iowa's behalf (like other Big 10 schools, the Rose Bowl is the ultimate prize for a great year of football).

Kirk won AP Coach of the Year, got a Heisman runner-up (Brad Banks in 2002), beat the likes of LSU (2005) Texas Tech (2001) and Florida (2003) in bowl games and have had fairly good success by Big 10 standards. Unlike tOSU, Iowa is not the Big 10 pushover school come bowl season.

But, you'd have to say that we got the better end of the deal :D Sure we pay Stoops a boatload of money, but so does Iowa to Kirk (more than $3 mil per year including incentives and such, $2.7 mil base I think).

In any event, I'd have to say that pink visitor's locker rooms are teh ghey, NTTAWWT (actually, there is plenty wrong with that - PINK LOCKERS?! omg wtf...) and Stoops chose the correct shade of red - DARK, AWESOME red in the form of crimson :)

SoonerKnight
8/20/2008, 08:11 PM
I just hope after 10 years he does not decide to leave! This would suck!

OKC-SLC
8/20/2008, 09:55 PM
i was a senior at OU and was in that room at the Union when the regents voted. i remember several players sitting up toward the front and left standing up and leaving when it was announced that Blake was fired.

and i was there that day on the front porch of Evans when Bob was introduced.

seems like such a long time ago. Bob's really ingrained himself here.

KantoSooner
8/21/2008, 11:51 AM
Bob has his little weirdnesses, but there is no coach in the country I'd rather have at OU right now.
We got very lucky.

GHOB SOONER
8/21/2008, 12:21 PM
I was thrilled about Coach Stoops from the beginning. While at at the Independence bowl in 99, I turned to my bro and said we're finally back. I lived in SEC country during the 90's and it really sucked. I jumped the field at Pro Player Stadium in 00 and actually got to pat Stoops on the back and thank him. I'll never forget that night. Great Article btw.

fadada1
8/21/2008, 05:03 PM
blake may have been a great guy, but he had no business coaching OU football. when stoops took over, something as simple as conditioning (at its most fundamental level) was nearly beyond repair. to me, that was a symptom of blake's way of coaching and the overall atmosphere of the team under his (lack of) guidance.

St. Louis Sooner
8/25/2008, 11:39 AM
I wish I could have started a new thread for this, but I cannot ... but dag, it brought tears to my eyes ... forgive me is it's already been done ...

http://newsok.com/behind-the-scenes-the-heart-of-bob-stoops-revealed/article/3287620

we have ourselves an amazing person in the man of Bob Stoops ... incredible.