PDA

View Full Version : Davin Joseph out 4-8 weeks

Sooner in Tampa
8/20/2008, 07:43 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Busted foot...just when he was REALLY starting to play really well.

Joseph breaks foot, will miss several weeks

Starting right guard Davin Joseph has undergone surgery for a broken foot and could miss the season opener -- and beyond -- for the second time in three years.
Joseph suffered the injury late in the second quarter of Sunday's 27-10 win against the Patriots Sunday and underwent surgery on Monday. The team is still attempting to determine an exact timetable for his return, but the St. Petersburg Times has learned he could be sidelined anywhere from four to eight weeks.
Even a conservative estimate means he could miss at least a couple regular-season games.
In 2006, Joseph suffered a knee injury that forced him to miss the first three games of his career. He returned to start the season's final 12 contests.
Joseph was coming off a dominant performance against New England. The offensive line played superbly in the game, with Joseph leading the way on some of the night's best runs. Tampa Bay had 114 yards rushing the first half alone.
In Joseph's absence, rookie Jeremy Zuttah took first-team reps in today's practice. Veteran Dan Buenning is also capable of playing guard, though he has been working mostly at center this fall.

badger
8/20/2008, 08:58 AM
So in other words, Joseph will miss all the non-conference gimme games and be back stronger than ever when the REAL challenge begins in conference play. Gotcha.

Get well, Joseph! :)

Blitzkrieg
8/20/2008, 09:02 AM
I think in the NFL you have to play to get paid, not that he's hurtin for money.

badger
8/20/2008, 09:17 AM
I think in the NFL you have to play to get paid, not that he's hurtin for money.

Players are paid, even if they don't play. (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/21/sp-nfl-contract-breaking-down-an-making-sense-of-d/sports-bucs/)

The standard player contract calls for all injured players, even those such as Williams, who was eventually placed on injured reserve last year, to be paid in full through the end of the season in which they are injured. A player still recovering from his injury will be paid as long as he's part of the team and under contract.

Players injured during training camp continue to be compensated as well, but such a player who is subsequently released can file a grievance against the club with the Players Association, up to 25 days from the termination date. To avoid a months-long grievance process, teams often reach injury settlements with players injured during training camp.

Of course, many contracts now have playing incentive bonuses or other perks to have the players on the field and trying to play as much as possible (and at as high of a level as possible). Remember Ricky Williams' incentive-laden rookie contract with the Saints? Oy. No wonder he was limping around trying desperately to get on the field! Also, there are incentives outside player contracts to encourage teams to either play or not play certain athletes. For example, a certain NFL quarterback (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallina/080815&sportCat=nfl) that used to play for the Packers got traded to the Jets recently :mad: and part of this trade called for higher Packer compensation should said quarterback play more often.

Sooner in Tampa
8/20/2008, 09:33 AM
I wish that true...then the Bucs wouldn't have to pay Chrissy Sims for sitting on his arse.

IronHorseSooner
8/20/2008, 09:46 AM
He has a really good call in show down here (I believe on Wednesdays or Thursdays), and he answers both Bucs and OU questions. They are really going to miss him on their O-Line. He's a real ambassador for OU football.

Sooner in Tampa
8/20/2008, 12:07 PM
He has a really good call in show down here (I believe on Wednesdays or Thursdays), and he answers both Bucs and OU questions. They are really going to miss him on their O-Line. He's a real ambassador for OU football.
Last year it was on Thursday...and it is available on the web if anyone is interested.

Yes, he is a great ambassador of OU football, he always speaks very highly of the Sooners.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/20/2008, 05:12 PM
n00b to post "it's all Schmiddy's fault" in 3...2...1...