PDA

View Full Version : How many Big XII athletes are competing in the Olympics?

AimForCenterMass
8/19/2008, 09:10 PM
Today was my first day back to school this year and one of my instructors was a Razorback fan. You know how the first day goes, where the instructor has to tell you everything about them because it's somehow relevant to the course. Anyways, she was saying how the SEC is a better athletic conference, and proof was in how many SEC athletes are in the Olympics. So, I went online to do some research and I can't find a lot. You would think the Big XII would promote something like that, but off the top of my head I can only think of OU gymnast Jonathan Horton and a name-unknown OU sprinter, who was running for Jamaica, I think.

How many other Big XII athletes are in the Olympics and how does the Big XII compare to other conference?

royalfan5
8/20/2008, 08:53 AM
I know Nebraska had a recent hurdler who finished with the bronze in the Women's 100M, a high jumper, and a wrestler.

Chuck Bao
8/20/2008, 02:15 PM
Baylor is going for a four-peat of Olympic gold in the 400 meters. Of course, Michael Johnson won in ’96 and ’00 and Jeremy Wariner is attempting to win his second gold.

Or, LaShawn Merritt could win and it would still be a Baylor four-peat.

I'm hoping for a gold and silver.

Stay tuned tomorrow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=AjWGfE_oFUbmTB2FVKqWyXqde5p4?slug=ap-lookahead&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wariner chases mentor in search of second 400 gold

By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports Writer

BEIJING (AP)—Only one man has ever won back-to-back Olympic titles in the 400 meters, and Jeremy Wariner is rather familiar with his work.

Now he’ll try to match it. Maybe even beat it.

Wariner tries to become the first man since Michael Johnson in 1996 and 2000 to repeat as Olympic champion in a race that will be featured on NBC’s prime-time coverage Thursday night.

Wariner won the event at the 2004 Athens games, and is now chasing Johnson’s world record of 43.18 seconds. Wariner’s career-best of 43.45 at last year’s world final is ranked third in all-time performances.

“The ultimate thing would be to go 42 out there and win,” Wariner said. “It’s a fast track. I’m ready to go. We’ll see Thursday. I just want to win. Whatever time I do I will be happy.”

Johnson, now Wariner’s manager and mentor, has helped him prepare for the race and what’s expected to be a spectacular showdown between Wariner and U.S. teammate LaShawn Merritt.

Merritt, the 2007 word runner-up, beat Wariner twice this year, including at the U.S. Olympic trials.

But Wariner, the two-time world champion, bounced back with two-straight victories last month in Europe and said he’s ready for their most meaningful race to date.

“My confidence was never shot,” Wariner said of the losses to Merritt. “I knew what I could do. The races I lost, I didn’t execute the right way. That’s all I’ve got to do is execute and I’ll be fine.”

Merritt clearly wants to win this next meeting, proven by his on-track performance and off-track bravado. Wariner won the first heat of the semifinals in 44.15, while Merritt became the fastest qualifier for the finals by winning his heat in 44.12.

“He’s ready, I’m ready, it’s time to go,” Merritt said. “We’re here at the games. It’s time to show down and throw down.”

All through the heat races, Wariner refused to make it a two-man event. He doesn’t want to get caught in the hype of a rivalry, despite Merritt’s brash talk.

“That’s not on my mind right now,” Wariner said. “The matchup between me and him, there’s other athletes out there who can run just as fast as we can, as you saw in the first round. Looks like it’s going to be a fast final no matter who makes it in there.”

The two aren’t exactly friends, but do admire each other on the track. They both attend Baylor University, and Merritt recently snapped up coach Clyde Hart after Hart and Wariner ended their longtime partnership over financial terms.

Despite the ties, the two didn’t appear to speak to each other after the first round, and while Merritt seemed to have one eye on Wariner, the Olympic champion didn’t seem to notice his adversary.

“I don’t call him and say, ‘You want to go here or there,’” Merritt said. “But the respect is there. We know each other’s talent. I know he’s a great athlete. He knows I’m coming. He knows I’m great. Neither of us are poor sportsmen and both of us are American, so love and respect is there.”

U.S. men have dominated the men’s 400 by winning the past six gold medals, and 11 of the past 13. They could theoretically sweep the podium: David Neville also reached the finals.