PDA

View Full Version : My dog, Jupiter

jkjsooner
8/18/2008, 04:00 PM
I know I'm not a regular poster here but I just felt the need to share some sad news. My German Shepherd, Jupiter, passed away today.

Jupiter and I had a special bond. He helped me through the toughest period of my life. He was truly my best friend.

He had degenerative myelepothy and has been suffering from it for a couple of years. We knew the time was coming soon and three days ago he no longer could even stand on his own and we even had to muzzle him just to get him up as he was either in a lot of pain and very scared.

This is the first time I've ever had to make a decision myself about a pet's life. After he passed I realized it's been a long long time since he has been that at peace and comfortable and I knew I had done the right thing. I know he's waiting up there for me and he can now run and play again.

(It was difficult because even last night I was able to get him outside and he did his happy bark when I played fetch with the other dog but I knew that he had reached the point where the joy of seeing us play was not worth the pain of getting up.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little and I wanted to say how happy it was that someone posted the pics of their new shepherd. I'm sorry I forgot who it was but I really enjoyed the pics of the dog playing with the sprinkler. :-)

OUDoc
8/18/2008, 04:03 PM
Sorry. It's a hard decision, but sounds like you did the right thing.

Howzit
8/18/2008, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry, jkj. It's amazing how our pets become ingrained in our lives - part of our family.

I just dropped my lab, Ruby, off for heartworm treatment this morning. She's 10 and a little old for it, apparently, I'm hoping I haven't seen the last of her good days.

My condolences.

Boomer.....
8/18/2008, 04:08 PM
It's always hard. Sorry to hear that.

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 04:14 PM
sorry, jkj :(

Prayers for you and Jupiter.

AMSooner
8/18/2008, 04:52 PM
Sorry jkj. I have a 10 year old GSD named Molly.

Tomorrow will be the year anniversary of when I had to put down my other dog, Harley. I still miss him terribly.

OUHOMER
8/18/2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear about this, You did the right thing. Its a tough call I know, Had to do it myself.

soonerbrat
8/18/2008, 05:06 PM
So sorry :(

pets really are a part of the family.

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. I had to make the same decision with my 12 year old Min-Pin in January. Much like you said he had been there for me through thick and thin.

StoopTroup
8/18/2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear JK.

Rogue
8/18/2008, 06:50 PM
Gulp. I'm sure sorry for your loss, and there's no doubt it was the right thing to do for Jupiter. No sense in an animal suffering when there's nothing else to be done. Hardest thing I ever did was put Kaizer down in October. I was depressed all winter. That was our new dog, Raja, in the sprinkler pics. Lots of dog, animal, and German Shepherd lovers on here.

Rainbow Bridge (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 06:51 PM
I still can't read that without crying.

bluedogok
8/18/2008, 07:31 PM
There has been too many of them this year, my condolences.....

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 07:36 PM
There has been too many of them this year, my condolences.....

There has been a lot this year. :(

OKC-SLC
8/18/2008, 08:22 PM
My wife and I made this same decision about our 15 year old black lab just a few weeks ago, jkj. It's a tough decision, for sure. But it sounds like you made the right one.

jkjsooner
8/18/2008, 08:36 PM
Gulp. I'm sure sorry for your loss, and there's no doubt it was the right thing to do for Jupiter. No sense in an animal suffering when there's nothing else to be done. Hardest thing I ever did was put Kaizer down in October. I was depressed all winter. That was our new dog, Raja, in the sprinkler pics. Lots of dog, animal, and German Shepherd lovers on here.

Rainbow Bridge (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm)

Thank you all for your support and, Rogue, thank you very much. I actually read the rainbow bridge poem one last time before we took Jupiter in. I explained to him about the bridge.

I just hope that if I could ask him right now if I made the right decision he would say I did. My wife said that he was hanging tough for us (Shepherds are so loyal) and he was trying to tell us he just couldn't do it anymore.

Raja seems so sweet. When I would give Jupiter a bath he would love to bite the water stream and your pick reminded me of a younger, healthier Jupiter. :)

Anyway, thanks so much.

jkjsooner
8/18/2008, 08:45 PM
My wife and I made this same decision about our 15 year old black lab just a few weeks ago, jkj. It's a tough decision, for sure. But it sounds like you made the right one.

Labs are such great dogs as well. I'm sorry to hear that.

I may get a lab some day.... or another GSD, or a pug, or a greyhound.... :-)

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 08:50 PM
I believe each of us that has had to make the decision to put our pals at rest made the right decision. I think they have a way of letting us know. I know as hard as it was to do it for Hannibal, after I did I had such a sense of him being in a better place...

Wishboned
8/18/2008, 09:53 PM
I'm really sorry jk. I think that's one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make.

We know our little friends are with us for only a short amount of time, but every minute of that time is worth it.

SoonerJack
8/18/2008, 10:05 PM
Man, I can relate. I had to take Woody, this yellow tabby that my wife and I had since before we got married, to his last visit to the vet. Talk about a bad day.

jkjsooner
8/18/2008, 10:30 PM
Man, I can relate. I had to take Woody, this yellow tabby that my wife and I had since before we got married, to his last visit to the vet. Talk about a bad day.

I just want to grab every dog and cat and given them tons of hugs and kisses. :-)

Shneeg11
8/18/2008, 11:00 PM
I had to put down my 16 year old Miniature Schnauzer two weeks ago that I got right before I started kindergarten, it's a tough thing to do, but in the end I knew he was better off.

Sooner Schemer
8/18/2008, 11:46 PM
These threads always get me choked up, but I'm always glad to find other animals lovers out there.

My condolences to you, jkj, and the other posters who've been faced with similar decisions recently. It's been about 2 years since I was in a similar position, and the memories are flooding back...

jkjsooner
8/19/2008, 12:53 PM
I had to put down my 16 year old Miniature Schnauzer two weeks ago that I got right before I started kindergarten, it's a tough thing to do, but in the end I knew he was better off.

Shneeg, I'm sorry to hear about your Schnauzer. It has to be tough considering you barely remember life without the dog.