PDA

View Full Version : McGee wins starting QB job

kevpks
8/18/2008, 10:15 AM
I guess McGee gets to keep his starting job at AtM:

"It was a heck of a race," Sherman said. "It was tough decision because at different times different guys did different things. But in the end, I thought Stephen was the most consistent. He didn't throw an interception all camp." -Mike Sherman

I think that not throwing an interception all camp says more about the Aggie defense than it does McGee.

sooneron
8/18/2008, 10:21 AM
As long as we only have to play one aggy qb, I'm happy.

sooner94
8/18/2008, 10:35 AM
What does that say about their passing game? Did McGee get that much better since last season? Doubtful.

TMcGee86
8/18/2008, 10:39 AM
when you scroll over this thread and get the preview, it just says this:

I guess McGee gets to keep his starting job at AtM

-Mike Sherman

I think it's much more honest. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/18/2008, 10:52 AM
McGee was a pretty darn good passer in high school....Franchione pretty much took that part of his game away from him

soonerinabilene
8/18/2008, 10:56 AM
McGee was a pretty darn good passer in high school....Franchione pretty much took that part of his game away from him

I was unaware of that. I just thought he was more of a running qb because thats all he did and I thought there is now way he will fit in a pro style offense. Just one more thing about fran that makes you go wtf?

Salt City Sooner
8/18/2008, 10:57 AM
x2, & for that reason, I've always wondered why he chose A&M. No knock against the Ags intended, but at the time it was definitely a square peg/round hole thing.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/18/2008, 11:08 AM
McGee was a three-year starter at quarterback for Class 3A Burnet High School, where he led his team to a 36-5 win to loss combined record, including a 28-2 mark as a junior and senior. In both of those seasons, he led his team to the Texas 3A state finals. He finished his high school career with 8,256 passing yards and a 3A state-record 101 passing touchdowns.

as a senior, McGee completed 196-of-313 passes for 3,579 yards with 47 touchdowns and three interceptions … as a junior, he completed 155-of-276 passes for 2,841 yards and 34 touchdowns and five interceptions … as a sophomore, he connected on 93-of-176 attempts for 1,829 yards, 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions

RedstickSooner
8/18/2008, 11:39 AM
As Pooh would say, Curiouser and curiouser.

sooner94
8/18/2008, 11:49 AM
Then Fran really handcuffed him. It has seemed like the last couple of seasons he is afraid to pull the trigger on his throws. Seems like he has been overthinking it. Not that Fran's offense was good for the passing game.

Part of his stats in HS can be attributed to playing with Jordan Shipley, a starter at Texas going into this season. Shipley has not done much in his career due to injuries, but I bet he lit it up at the high school level.

badger
8/18/2008, 12:57 PM
Fran face was a lousy coach and made his Texas-sized talent worse and it was through other team's incompetence (especially Mack Brown's Texas) that they managed to win a few games here and there... or perhaps a few distracting images in the crowd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmhnqUXseE).

That being said, Sherman needs a Favre-like quarterback to help him keep at the head coach's helm, and McGee is not that qb, thus Sherman opens up the QB competition. Stephan McGee wins out, but you missed the key detail: HE WON THE JOB FOR ONLY WEEK ONE.

Sherman is likely hoping that either Stephen will vastly improve, or that his backup QB overtakes McGee, or perhaps, and I think this is the most likely scenario, that his QB recruits see that the job is anyone's for the taking and that he gets his Favre-like QB by next year, much like Charlie Weis did in order to get Jimmy Clausen (and we've seen how well that works out).

I had to put up with Coach Sherman for a few years, so I remember him quite well. Excuse me, the cat is invading the pantry and I can hear chewing and tearing noises :mad:

NormanPride
8/18/2008, 01:25 PM
Don't let him get in there, there's stuff he could get sick on.

The_Red_Patriot
8/18/2008, 01:39 PM
So he beat out Justin Fuente? I guess Dick Winder and John Blake know what they are doing so I have to trust the decision.

:D

badger
8/18/2008, 03:31 PM
Don't let him get in there, there's stuff he could get sick on.

Turns out he was just nibbling on plastic like always, not actual food. Weird cat...

That is one word that describes Sherman: WEIRD. Just like Les Miles and LSU deserve each other, so do Sherman and A&M... then again, I thought the same thing about Fran face. :rolleyes:

Oh, and in another offseason funny epic maneuver, he made JaPorky Lane a fullback finally. I guess it pretty much solidified his status (haha) as the biggest guy that isn't on the line - either o-line or d-line.

IronHorseSooner
8/18/2008, 03:46 PM
With as bad as A&M's O-Line is, 1) it won't matter who the QB is, and 2) it won't matter if they are a passing team or running the veer. I will also venture to say that the back up (who is another mobile back up QB) will be starting, or at least playing, against us. A&M, first with Slocum and then with Fran, has sprung their back ups on us (McGee and McNeal). There's no reason to expect that Sherman won't do the same.

badger
8/18/2008, 04:01 PM
With as bad as A&M's O-Line is, 1) it won't matter who the QB is, and 2) it won't matter if they are a passing team or running the veer. I will also venture to say that the back up (who is another mobile back up QB) will be starting, or at least playing, against us. A&M, first with Slocum and then with Fran, has sprung their back ups on us (McGee and McNeal). There's no reason to expect that Sherman won't do the same.

If they don't win this year, next year Aggieland will celebrate the 70 year anniversary of their 1939 championship. They will celebrate. The rest of us will use it as a reminder to taunt aggie about their lack of championships :D

sooner94
8/18/2008, 04:48 PM
If they don't win this year, next year Aggieland will celebrate the 70 year anniversary of their 1939 championship. :D

Wow! And we make fun of Texas going 35 years in between National Championships.