PDA

View Full Version : Getting Religion The Old Fashioned Way

VeeJay
8/18/2008, 09:11 AM
I was raised a Southern Baptist in Mississippi, one of the most bizarre places to have been a churchgoer in the 60's and 70's. Some of that still lingers in the South. I got a little dose of it yesterday; Mrs. VJ wanted to go since we haven't been in a while (since we moved).

Service started off with a baptism - one of the preachers dunked a pair of new converts. Then, it started. A fire and brimstone cat came out and I swear he yelled and screamed for a solid hour. I think the sermon was on folks who call themselves Christians but don't live like Christians. Dude was telling everybody that if they don't get right, they're headed for an eternity of loneliness in hell.

Having been raised in a church that did this, it brought back malodorous memories. It's been a lot of years since I was damned to hell in such a fashion.

What is it with this style of preaching? I left the place feeling like sh*t. Maybe that's the whole point.

There was also the token parishoner sitting on the front row who shouted a hearty "AMEN!" every time the pastor made an emphatic statement he agreed with (which was about a hunnert times). I sort of figured this is the same guy who goes to PGA Tour events and shouts "GET IN THE HOLE!" At any rate, preacher dude was screaming so freeking loud I wanted to call the cops on him.

And no, this does not mean I will skip the next Drunkytown. :O

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 09:35 AM
Aren't guilt & shame - based religions the tits?

OUDoc
8/18/2008, 09:37 AM
Next time yell "**** off, dip****" and see what happens.
;)

sooner_born_1960
8/18/2008, 09:46 AM
Why should they care if you act like a christian? Actions can't get you to heaven anyway. THat's what I've heard.

VeeJay
8/18/2008, 09:47 AM
Next time yell "**** off, dip****" and see what happens.
;)

Yeah but if I shouted "GET IN THE HOLE!!" in church that may get more attention. :eek:

VeeJay
8/18/2008, 09:48 AM
Aren't guilt & shame - based religions the tits?

Pastor dude wasn't talkin' 'bout boobies....

Turd_Ferguson
8/18/2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah but if I shouted "GET IN THE HOLE!!" in church that may get more attention. :eek:Make sure your standing right behind some guy with you mouth 5" from his ear. Maybe he'll cuss you up one side and down the other like I did the little punk *** at the Byron Nelson:D

Tulsa_Fireman
8/18/2008, 10:07 AM
Yell out AMEN! when you're not supposed to.

What're they gonna do, kick you out for loving de Jeebus?

Flagstaffsooner
8/18/2008, 10:16 AM
Snakes, you need snakes!

VeeJay
8/18/2008, 10:25 AM
http://contribute.chron.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/3/9/83106708-61b4-45ba-8960-baaac27e3add.Large.bmp

olevetonahill
8/18/2008, 10:28 AM
Reckon where they want a new door .:eek:

frankensooner
8/18/2008, 10:29 AM
Being brought up in the Church of Christ, this reminds me of a joke.

A Pentecostal man was visiting a C of C and was enjoying the sermon. When he heard something he liked he let out a booming AMEN. This happened several times and finally the preacher said something the man really liked and the Pentecostal man shouted "Praise the LORD" to which an usher ran down the aisle and told him: "Sorry sir, but we don't Praise the Lord at the Johnson Avenue Church of Christ."