PDA

View Full Version : Skillet Question

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 03:17 PM
I need to buy me a skillet this afternoon. Any recommendations?

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 03:25 PM
I need to buy me a skillet this afternoon. Any recommendations?

Cast iron and season it .
YWIA

Turd_Ferguson
Cast Iron.

SoonerJack
bingo. Olevet called it.

OUHOMER
8/17/2008, 03:26 PM
cast iron, cooks and is a decent weapon

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 03:27 PM
Look for Yard sales , Ya might find one already seasoned .

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 03:47 PM
Another vote for cast iron.

If you can find it used great, and even if it's not in good shape it doesn't take much to make it so.

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 03:52 PM
Well Its a consensus on Cast iron . So ya gonna buy new or try to find a used one ?

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 03:56 PM
Well Its a consensus on Cast iron . So ya gonna buy new or try to find a used one ?
I'd like bacon tonight, so I will probably see what I can find when I run to the store in awhile. If I can find one reasonable, I'll probably buy one new. If not I will see if I can come up with one otherwise.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 03:58 PM
A brand to consider is Lodge. Most, if not all, of their stuff is already seasoned ready to use. Lodge can even be found at your local Wal-Marts.

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 03:59 PM
I'd like bacon tonight, so I will probably see what I can find when I run to the store in awhile. If I can find one reasonable, I'll probably buy one new. If not I will see if I can come up with one otherwise.

But a New one , and season it , Buy ya electric one fer bacon and stuff till to get the Cast seasoned
electric one works great for flap jacks and eggs to .

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 04:02 PM
But a New one , and season it , Buy ya electric one fer bacon and stuff till to get the Cast seasoned
electric one works great for flap jacks and eggs to .

I'll keep that in mind, and I will need to hunt up a jar for grease.

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 04:05 PM
I'll keep that in mind, and I will need to hunt up a jar for grease.

Bacon grease ? I just pour Mine in a bowl and shove it in the fridge till I need for something
;)

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 04:56 PM
Well they were sold out of skillets at Target, and I'm not masochistic enough to go to the Wal-marts on a Sunday afternoon, so I may just order one if it qualifies for the fast shipping program I'm on.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 05:00 PM
Well they were sold out of skillets at Target, and I'm not masochistic enough to go to the Wal-marts on a Sunday afternoon, so I may just order one if it qualifies for the fast shipping program I'm on.

Sold out of skillets? I know lots of peeps on here don't like Wal-Marts, but after going to the local Target 4 or 5 times and them not having what I wanted I no longer go there at all. I rub elbows with the unwashed masses at Wal-Marts. Yeah it's often crowded, which is why I strategize when I go there, yeah it attracts all kinds of folks, but I'll gall-darn bet ya that when I go there I can get what I went there for.

Just my little rant, sorry...

GottaHavePride
8/17/2008, 05:01 PM
Shipping will cost you more than the skillet.

And Lodge is mostly pre-seasoned now.

And if it isn't, cooking bacon is the PERFECT way to season it. When you're done, smear the bacon grease all over the skillet and put it in the oven.

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 05:06 PM
Shipping will cost you more than the skillet.

And Lodge is mostly pre-seasoned now.

And if it isn't, cooking bacon is the PERFECT way to season it. When you're done, smear the bacon grease all over the skillet and put it in the oven.

Not when you purchase and Amazon Prime eligible skillet, and have more than gotten your money's worth out of Prime already.

GottaHavePride
8/17/2008, 05:08 PM
Heh. True. But when you can get Lodge skillets at Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and probably 30 other stores in your area, it's just silly to wait.

Bacon today > bacon in two days. ;)

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 05:10 PM
Heh. True. But when you can get Lodge skillets at Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and probably 30 other stores in your area, it's just silly to wait.

Bacon today > bacon in two days. ;)

eh, it just gives me an excuse to get a cream cheese steak tonight instead.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/17/2008, 05:39 PM
I think top chefs use stainless steel more often than cast iron.

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 05:52 PM
I think top chefs use stainless steel more often than cast iron.

depends what you are using it for. if you are cooking bacon and eggs, a Lodge cast iron is about the best 15$ you can spend. friggin indestructible, too.

olevetonahill
8/17/2008, 05:56 PM
depends what you are using it for. if you are cooking bacon and eggs, a Lodge cast iron is about the best 15$ you can spend. friggin indestructible, too.

Plus I dont think RF is aimin to be a Top chef :rolleyes:

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 05:57 PM
that said, it's pretty amazing these days what you get for 100 or 150$. go to Bed, Bath, and BEYOND....and for 150 you can get a 8 or 10 piece set of the decent enough cookware. it's not great stuff or the really kick *** stuff, but more than passable and will give you years of solid use. if you have the right equipment it makes everything else so much easier.

and you just want something that you are gonna use. and the use the hell out of it.

OUHOMER
8/17/2008, 05:59 PM
Yep burn something in a stainless steel its done, burn something in case iron, hell you can sand blast it clean

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 06:01 PM
I can cook bacon on a flat rock in a campfire.

or you can use one of these too. :D

http://www.chaosreigns.com/gallery/medium/m_IMG_0874.jpg

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.mathlete.com/portfolio/images/wakeNbacon/wake-bacon-open.jpg

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 06:05 PM
Never do this....

http://www.seen-on-tv.ws/bacon-wave/bacon-wave.jpg

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 06:06 PM
Yep burn something in a stainless steel its done, burn something in case iron, hell you can sand blast it clean

Yup, find you any ol' rusted up cast iron skillet or whatever at a garage sale, sandpaper the rust off of it, clean it up real good and season it, and whamo! Good as new.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 06:06 PM
Never do this....

http://www.seen-on-tv.ws/bacon-wave/bacon-wave.jpg

Heh, we had one of these when I was a young-un.

edit...it wasn't used much.

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 06:08 PM

with stainless steel, if you scorch it....you'd be surprised how much of the sear you can get off if you keep boiling water in it and alternate using something like Comet or a similar cleaner with a scrubber and boil more water and Comet and boil water and Comet back and forth til the cows come home......it takes time but you can usually save stuff.

burning stuff in cast iron only makes the skillet better.

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 06:09 PM
Yup, find you any ol' rusted up cast iron skillet or whatever at a garage sale, sandpaper the rust off of it, clean it up real good and season it, and whamo! Good as new.

WD40? :pop:

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 06:13 PM
WD40? :pop:

Beats me, I've never used it on a skillet. The few I've refurbished I cleaned them in soap and water with a wire brush, then sanded the rust off of them, back in the soap and water to clean all the rust residue off of them (I would not recommend doing the sanding in your house), then season them. After they're seasoned and ready to use I never clean them in soapy water again, just boil some water in them and use a scouring pad or something to get the gunk out, and ocassionally slap a coat of veggie oil or shartening on them before putting them up.

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 06:17 PM
I've used the old solid crisco on a warm pan and then put it in the oven.

Sausage and bacon are perfect for seasoning the pan though.

I'm hungry for breakfast for dinner now...Thanks everybody!

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 06:20 PM
I've used the old solid crisco on a warm pan and then put it in the oven.

Sausage and bacon are perfect for seasoning the pan though.

Yup, that's the tried and true seasoning method, and it is best to cook stuff like sausage and bacon in them the first couple of times you use them. Then once you have that good base layer down you can start cooking more acidic foods in them without harm (think tomatoes and such).

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 06:21 PM
up to 14 slices!

we had micro bacon thing when i was a kid. it had grooves so the bacon fat drained into them while it cooked. nothing was better than a bacon sandwich on buttered toast. my mom used to save the "juice" in mason jars and use it for CFS and mashed potato gravy. my mom's CFS was *the bomb*.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 06:24 PM

I do have me some cured ham steaks...and I have some eggs....and I have some biscuits...hummmmm???? :D

Tulsa_Fireman
8/17/2008, 06:43 PM
Get a lid.

You can dutch oven in a cast iron skillet in a pinch.

And no, not the kind where you fart under the covers.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 07:32 PM
I do have me some cured ham steaks...and I have some eggs....and I have some biscuits...hummmmm???? :D

Talked myself into it. Ham's in the skillet as we speak. :D

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 08:01 PM
Breakfast is almost ready here Bill...:D

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 08:37 PM
Breakfast is almost ready here Bill...:D

Mine was the yummy. :D

Tailwind
8/17/2008, 09:10 PM
I swear by my cast iron, have not had to season for several years. bake cornbread and Irish soda bread in there and everything.

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 09:18 PM
I ordered a cast iron Lodge. It will be here Wednesday.

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 09:23 PM
I ordered a cast iron Lodge. It will be here Wednesday.

i do agree with whoever said you are paying as much for shipping as the skillet itself.

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 09:30 PM
i do agree with whoever said you are paying as much for shipping as the skillet itself.I'll deal with the 13.67 it cost for the whole deal.

olevetonahill
8/18/2008, 01:33 AM
I'll deal with the 13.67 it cost for the whole deal.

Ya done good , we gonna make a ****ing hillbilly outa ya yet :D

SoonerJack
8/18/2008, 08:51 AM
That's a pretty good price for a cast iron skillet shipped and everything.

RF do they have okra in Nebraska? Cause nothing is better than okra fried in a cast iron skillet.

jw

Crimsontothecore
8/18/2008, 09:04 AM
Bacon, bacon grease...
Somewhere there's a heart surgeon smiling while he reads this thread.:D

royalfan5
8/18/2008, 12:03 PM
That's a pretty good price for a cast iron skillet shipped and everything.

RF do they have okra in Nebraska? Cause nothing is better than okra fried in a cast iron skillet.

jw

Only when my Uncle brings it up from Texas.

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 06:33 PM
I'll deal with the 13.67 it cost for the whole deal.

Wow, that ain't a bad deal at all. So, what ya gonna fix in it first?

royalfan5
8/18/2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, that ain't a bad deal at all. So, what ya gonna fix in it first?
I have Farmland Maple Bacon in the Fridge for Wednesday when it gets here to be used in BLT's with homegrown tomatos from my grandparents. I'll use the foreman for beef the next couple of nights.

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 06:42 PM
I have Farmland Maple Bacon in the Fridge for Wednesday when it gets here. I'll use the foreman for beef the next couple of nights.

mmmmmmmmmm, bacon....:D

Mixer!
8/18/2008, 08:49 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mmmmmmm-bacon.jpg

Mixer!
8/18/2008, 08:49 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-bacon-not-done.jpg

Mixer!
8/18/2008, 08:52 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-kitten-is-excited-about-bacon.jpg

royalfan5
8/20/2008, 08:12 PM
And it arrived and made it through its maiden bacon voyage. I am now full and kind of sleepy.

Curly Bill
8/20/2008, 08:56 PM
And it arrived and made it through its maiden bacon voyage. I am now full and kind of sleepy.

Congratulations to you. :)

Turd_Ferguson
8/20/2008, 09:05 PM
I just made some fried thick sliced bologna sammiches in mine....they rawk'd:D

soonerinabilene
8/20/2008, 09:58 PM
eh, it just gives me an excuse to get a cream cheese steak tonight instead.

Um, i want details of what a cream cheese steak is, please.

royalfan5
8/20/2008, 10:02 PM

A sandwich with roast beef, bbq sauce, and pads of cream cheese melted within. It's health food.

GottaHavePride
8/20/2008, 10:06 PM
I would have guessed a philly cheesesteak but with cream cheese instead of swiss. Or Cheez Whiz if you're going for authentic.

You know, there's a deli here in town with a sandwich called a Cranky Turkey. It's turkey, cream cheese, and cranberry sauce (not the crap out of a can). Surprisingly good.

soonerinabilene
8/20/2008, 10:15 PM
A sandwich with roast beef, bbq sauce, and pads of cream cheese melted within. It's health food.

and dinner tomorrow is planned.

olevetonahill
8/20/2008, 10:16 PM

Pervert :eek: