PDA

View Full Version : Am I the ONLY one who skips GAME OF THE CENTURY?

stoopified
8/17/2008, 09:32 AM
To be rebroadcast on KOCO-5 today.I just can't bring myself to watch it again.I have watched it 2 or 3 times since 1971 and I just get mad every time.I scream at the refs during the Johnny Rodgers CLIPATHON punt return to:THROW THE FLAG DAMMIT !On the Huskers last TD drive I cuss a blue streak at Larry Lacewell to : QUIT BEING SO CHICKENSH!T AND ATTACK DEFENSIVELY!

On OU's last gasp I suffer torment when Mildren misses a wide-open Jon Harrison on what COULD have been a game winning prayer come to pass.I can't stand it which is why I hate watching games we have lost no matter how exciting they may have been.

Yes I am a sore loser.I'm still mad at Notre Dame over the 1957 game and THAT was three years before I was born.

I understndthe desire to spotlight Mildren but why can't they pick the "71 UTor USC game?
:(

tennsooner
8/17/2008, 10:07 AM
I'm with you. I never get past the punt return before I turn it off and find something else to do. I just get sick.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 11:35 AM
Yup, I have no interest in watching a game we lost, and yup it doesn't matter how exciting it was.

Flagstaffsooner
8/17/2008, 11:44 AM
Well, you can watch the Oregon game or Sand Aggie.

Seems like we have a history with crooked refs.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 11:45 AM
Well, you can watch the Oregon game or Sand Aggie.

Sems like we have a history with crooked refs.

I especially don't want to watch a game where we were cheated. :mad:

MamaMia
8/17/2008, 11:52 AM
I usually watch it in honor of Bud, but my heart breaks a little each time.

Flagstaffsooner
8/17/2008, 11:55 AM
I especially don't want to watch a game where we were cheated. :mad:And lets not forget 15-15 in the Cotton Bowl.

badger
8/17/2008, 12:13 PM
It would definitely be more watchable if we won, if that's what you mean :)

tulsaoilerfan
8/17/2008, 12:17 PM
If we had thrown more that day we would have won; Jon Harrison was unstoppable

RedstickSooner
8/17/2008, 12:22 PM
I don't ever intentionally watch games where we lose.

The only time I end up that way is when it's a brand-new game, and somehow the universe is broken, and we don't win.

Flagstaffsooner
8/17/2008, 12:32 PM
If we had thrown more that day we would have won; Jon Harrison was unstoppable
He was good.

stoopified
8/17/2008, 04:55 PM
And lets not forget 15-15 in the Cotton Bowl.Thanks for reminding me of THAT one.
:(

PhilTLL
8/17/2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I said basically the same thing. We lose! Why would I ever rewatch? The stupid Boise State game was apparently the greatest football game ever, or something, and I'll never watch it again. Hell no. Now, if KOCO wants to show the 2000 games again, they should let me know...

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2008, 05:27 PM
Watching the 2000 Nebraska game makes the pain go away real quick.

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 05:29 PM
What the hell are you all talking about?

What are these games "We Lost?" that you speak about?

stoopified
8/17/2008, 05:46 PM
What the hell are you all talking about?

What are these games "We Lost?" that you speak about?I stand corected,we din't lose,we were just behind when time ran out.

Octavian
8/17/2008, 06:27 PM
seen it on Classic...it is painful. It would've been an awesome game to win and a big feather in the cap. There's also a pretty good book about it...it's on all the top games lists. Just one of those games a fan can't get away from...

But that loss may have been a blessing in disguise (at least, it's a way to make it feel better ;)). Whoever won that '71 game would have gone on to beat Bama in the Orange Bowl and claim the NC. It's very possible if that happened, Switzer would have never been head coach at OU. Barry had already interviewed for HC jobs before he took the OU job in '73. He was a rising coach in the profession.

With a national championship under his belt, Fairbanks might not have wanted to jump to the NFL and OU would have probably tried much harder to keep their national champion coach. Not trying to say anything bad about Fairbanks (his record is great), but Switzer was actually the coach orchestrating the Bone and landing all the Texas talent. And instead of hiring Switzer in '73, OU would've created the Fairbanks era and Barry would've ended up running his show someplace else.

If the football gods made us trade the '71 loss for 16 Switzer years, I'll take it.

but yeah, it really is just a way to feel better about it

stoopified
8/17/2008, 06:55 PM
seen it on Classic...it is painful. It would've been an awesome game to win and a big feather in the cap. There's also a pretty good book about it...it's on all the top games lists. Just one of those games a fan can't get away from...

But that loss may have been a blessing in disguise (at least, it's a way to make it feel better ;)). Whoever won that '71 game would have gone on to beat Bama in the Orange Bowl and claim the NC. It's very possible if that happened, Switzer would have never been head coach at OU. Barry had already interviewed for HC jobs before he took the OU job in '73. He was a rising coach in the profession.

With a national championship under his belt, Fairbanks might not have wanted to jump to the NFL and OU would have probably tried much harder to keep their national champion coach. Not trying to say anything bad about Fairbanks (his record is great), but Switzer was actually the coach orchestrating the Bone and landing all the Texas talent. And instead of hiring Switzer in '73, OU would've created the Fairbanks era and Barry would've ended up running his show someplace else.

If the football gods made us trade the '71 loss for 16 Switzer years, I'll take it.

but yeah, it really is just a way to feel better about itThat theory seems valid to me.Switzer has said he wanted to be a headcoach by age 35and when he was hired following Fairbanks' departure after the 1972 season.He turned 36 in April 1973 so it IS reasonable to assume he may have ended up elsewhere.Unfortunately it doesn't make me feel a lot better.

On the other hand imagine what a great wishbone vs. wishbone battle it would have been vs. Bama and Bear.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2008, 07:23 PM

I like it !

Fairbanks went on to have an undistinguished NFL stint followed by a dismal stay at CU here in Boulder. Switzer was truly the king.

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 08:24 PM
Watching the 2000 Nebraska game makes the pain go away real quick.
I only remember the 2001 game, was there an NU/OU game in 2000? It must have slipped my mind if there was.

tommieharris91
8/17/2008, 08:40 PM
I only remember the 2001 game, was there an NU/OU game in 2000? It must have slipped my mind if there was.

There was an OU/NU game in 2001? I remember the 2000 game pretty well.

sooneron
8/19/2008, 07:59 AM
I don't think N8 remembers the 01 NU game either.

bri
8/19/2008, 03:17 PM
What I've learned from this thread:

a) People have the emotional maturity of six-year-olds when their team loses.
b) Three losses and one tie that were partially due to bad officiating over the span of ever constitues a "history".

The season needs to start so you people can stop crying about old games and start bitching about new ones.

Jdog
8/19/2008, 04:08 PM
I don't like to watch

Octavian
8/19/2008, 05:20 PM
What I've learned from this thread:

a) People have the emotional maturity of six-year-olds when their team loses.

are you new here?

bri
8/19/2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry. I always detatch from this part of the board after the season ends, so I forget what they're like for about seven months. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2008, 10:16 PM
I tend to think the actual season is the best time to detach from this board...just imagine what its gonna be like if we lose a game this season

Jdog
8/19/2008, 10:56 PM

I appreciate your point completely. This whole thread brings back the terrible feeling of riding the 2 hours home and thinking if we could have stopped em on that 3rd and 9.

one small correction to your post. Unfortunately we wouldn't have gone on to play Bama - because back in 71 the bowl invitations went out before Thanksgiving - and OBie wanted Neb - And Bama still had to play Auburn.
I remember rooting for Auburn because we had them in the Sugar.