PDA

View Full Version : Why not Stoops?

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 12:41 AM
Okay I'm not going to lie, I got into a really heated discussion tonight with my friends. Some dude said yah man I'm going to the USC vs. Ohio state game this year. I was like ya that's really cool. Don't get me wrong, that is the most hyped game of the year. My buddies give the the LSU, USC, Ohio State, and UT type arguments. I'm the type that will defend Oklahoma, no matter how bad we are. I'll take a few blows or hits for Bob Stoops any day, and I'm proud of that, just like many of you other fans are.

But then the debate got going as far as who is the best coach? I obviously went with Stoops. The other dude went with the USC train. We started to compare conference championships. I basically said wow dude congratulations you don't play a conference title game, so go F yourself. He gave me Pete Carrol is the best college coach, again I obviously went with Bob Stoops. He then asked me why Bob was not in the NFL? He was not saying he was a bad coach, he was just saying that he was surprised Stoops was not already there.

Anyway regardless, NO COACH HAS EVER WON 2 BCS TITLE GAMES. This is where my argument got really rich. Each of my friends claimed Oklahoma has the best chance to go undefeated. YaYA we know that right? Anyway I was just defending our great team tonight. And Bob Stoops will be the first coach EVER to win 2 BCS National Championship games. I just got an ear full tonight, and I thought I might share it with ya'll tonight. Some that know my girlfriend would be proud. The USC guy said if your so smart name all the teams in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big 10..(11), and the SEC. She said them faster then I could think.

In other words we are favored to win every game this year, just like last year. Bob has seen the last few years why we were not the "real big game" type team. The dude is an absolute stud when it comes to coaching. The only thing I see our team doing different this year is........... IDK can you guys help me out....

BOOMER

God bless the Sooners

In the end I'll fight a USC fan any day of the week.

Leroy Lizard
8/17/2008, 01:31 AM
Do you have minutes for this meeting?

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:55 AM
real long process.

Flagstaffsooner
8/17/2008, 06:21 AM
But Pete's the best recruiter.

http://www.taf.org/graphics/payola2.JPG

StoopTroup
8/17/2008, 08:30 AM
real long process.

Get online with him and have him read this thread. :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31774

YWIA

soonerfan28
8/17/2008, 10:17 AM
Anybody could recruit to USC. I have to say that it is a little harder to recruit to a place like Norman, OK then it is to LA. You have celebrities and the scenic coastline out there, so I would have to say that Stoops is every bit the coach that Carrol is and a hell of a recruiter too. Carrol was the best coach from 2003 to 2005, but in this decade I will go with Stoops. Just my opinion.

bluedogok
8/17/2008, 10:30 AM
He isn't in the NFL for the same reason Carroll isn't, they don't want to be there at this time. With the top college salaries being what they are, you don't have to go to the NFL to make big money anymore. The life span of a top college coach is much longer than that of a pro coach, there are very few franchises like Denver where a coach will stay for 10+ years, a top college coach can retire at a college if the teams stay good enough, it seems in the NFL their definition of "good enough" can change weekly. Just look at Tom Coughlin, his head was rumored to be on the chopping block before last season and they just go out and win the Superbowl.

Both football worlds are littered with coaches who succeeded in one and failed in the other, like Carroll, he was fired twice in the NFL and went back to college. He has been there and knows he has a great gig which is why he hasn't taken any of the jobs that he have been rumored for, Stoops has the Spurrier saga at the Redskins as a reference. He may one day go to the NFL, but it will be more like a situation like Spurrier. At a time when he just wants a new and "different" challenge.

badger
8/17/2008, 12:15 PM
Hey... there goes out national anthem again. We must have just won another gold :D

Anyways, until a coach wins a second BCS Title game, we should table this motion and reconvene in January. All in favor?

(aye!)

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:26 PM
Nothing against the state of Oklahoma because I love it, all my family lives there. But as a whole the State of Texas is more of a "popular" place to live, obviously. Just the fact that Stoops can convince people that Norman is the place to be is amazing. Nothing against Norman. When we were recruiting DeMarco Murray, it was between us, and USC. LA vs Norman ?? For a young kid, LA is going to be the place to go. Stoops just does something that nobody will ever understand how he does it. To steal so much talent from other states.
Don't get me wrong a lot of our great players our Oklahoma residents.

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:28 PM
Get online with him and have him read this thread. :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31774

YWIA

I think you know what I went with. haha

BASSooner
8/17/2008, 01:32 PM
jlew1818,

Thats an interesting read. You could also ask your USC friend just one question (if you havn't already). Ask him how many 2-3 star All-Americans Petey produced (5 stars don't count :D).

Also mention that he's in the state of california so getting 5 star prospects is very easy and the fact that their in the pac-10.

So to put it in short, USC has not competition in the state of California or in the Pac 10. We actually do.

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:36 PM
Ya thats a real good point, I'll have to tell him that tonight. I think UCLA will be stealing some players in the next few years away from USC.

BASSooner
8/17/2008, 01:39 PM
Ya thats a real good point, I'll have to tell him that tonight. I think UCLA will be stealing some players in the next few years away from USC.

Also ask him if USC has ever faced a brutal schedule (like OUrs back in 2000) and won it all. That should also shut him up

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:41 PM
haha oh we have talked about that one before.

Leroy Lizard
8/17/2008, 08:20 PM
For a young kid, LA is going to be the place to go.

They are already there. The population of Southern California is probably over 20 million, and they can also recruit out of Polynesia. They also have the strongest high school football in the country.

Switzer once said that Terry Donahue passed by more blue-chip QBs on his way to work then Switzer would ever meet in an entire recruiting season. (Making Terry Donahue the most overrated coach in college football history in my opinion.)

footballfanatic
8/17/2008, 08:39 PM
Anybody could recruit to USC. I have to say that it is a little harder to recruit to a place like Norman, OK then it is to LA. You have celebrities and the scenic coastline out there, so I would have to say that Stoops is every bit the coach that Carrol is and a hell of a recruiter too. Carrol was the best coach from 2003 to 2005, but in this decade I will go with Stoops. Just my opinion.

Based on your argument, UCLA should have fabulous recruits--better than SC. They are in a better part of LA, a more glamorous part of the city, and yet, somehow, they can't get the best talent. Stoops is good, but make no mistake, Pete Carroll is a great coach, with a better BCS record--and he whupped Stoops in head to head play. Case closed.

footballfanatic
8/17/2008, 08:40 PM
They are already there. The population of Southern California is probably over 20 million, and they can also recruit out of Polynesia. They also have the strongest high school football in the country.

Switzer once said that Terry Donahue passed by more blue-chip QBs on his way to work then Switzer would ever meet in an entire recruiting season. (Making Terry Donahue the most overrated coach in college football history in my opinion.)

LA does not have the strongest high school football in the country--Texas does.

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 08:47 PM
LA does not have the strongest high school football in the country--Texas does.

I knew someone would have already posted this, and you are correct.

footballfanatic
8/17/2008, 08:53 PM

I will you give you this about one school in LA--two years ago, I shot a commercial at Long Beach Polytechnic. It's in a transitional area of Long Beach, which is a tough town. They were rated the number one HS program n the country by SI. They are a magnet school, so they can recruit from anywhere--and they do. Lots of trophies in the cases. It's also Snoop Dog's school AND Cameron Diaz's school. Weird to see an inner city school with a nice pool, but they had one. Lot of Samoan linemen, fleet backs, and more. Since then, they have tumbled a bit, but they are still first rate.

Sabanball
8/17/2008, 09:59 PM
At this point in time, I would rank Bob only behind Pete Carroll-- For obvious reasons(the head to head matchup, and NC's) ...so quit complaining--at worst, you have the second best coach in America.

BASSooner
8/18/2008, 03:19 AM
At this point in time, I would rank Bob only behind Pete Carroll-- For obvious reasons(the head to head matchup, and NC's) ...so quit complaining--at worst, you have the second best coach in America.

how would you rank saban?

kbsooner
8/18/2008, 07:19 AM
To combat the geographic slandering, Bob is sending them to this link (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL4052500.html) and they are immediately mesmerized by the pic.

sooneron
8/18/2008, 08:15 AM
Based on your argument, UCLA should have fabulous recruits--better than SC. They are in a better part of LA, a more glamorous part of the city, and yet, somehow, they can't get the best talent. Stoops is good, but make no mistake, Pete Carroll is a great coach, with a better BCS record--and he whupped Stoops in head to head play. Case closed.

But Pete has the extra benefit of agents hanging out all over the place and nfl stars "accidentally" calling him when recruits are in his office:rolleyes: . That has to help. Don't forget that New weasel is now in Westwood, they will get back to the D Foster days in no time. So ucla will be vying for the same big names next year.

JLEW1818
8/18/2008, 11:45 AM
Ya'll think Chow will steal some talent?

footballfanatic
8/18/2008, 01:32 PM
But Pete has the extra benefit of agents hanging out all over the place and nfl stars "accidentally" calling him when recruits are in his office:rolleyes: . That has to help. Don't forget that New weasel is now in Westwood, they will get back to the D Foster days in no time. So ucla will be vying for the same big names next year.

Please, Stoops supporters, stop using the "less attractive location" argument as an excuse.

I think in today's world, the main deciding choice for players is, "where do I have the best chance of getting to pro ball?" It overrides attractive location any day, so I don't think you can use that as a measuring stick. Lincoln was a great place to go--when they were sending lineman to the pros right and left. Columbus isn't exactly paradise, but kids are flocking there today.