PDA

View Full Version : My day at the free legal clinic for poor people

Okla-homey
8/16/2008, 02:15 PM
Usually at least one guy like this each month.

This young guy comes in to see if we can help him with an outstanding warrant in a neighboring state. Shoplifting. Says its holding him back and stuff because potential employers run background checks and it pops up.

I say, yepper, you need to get it taken care of in order to move on with your life.

I give him the lowdown. Tell him its pointless to try unless he's willing and able to pay restitution and his fines, or at least agree to an installment plan and make the payments on time.

He says he'll prolly just drive over there and try to take care of it himself.

I say that's not a good idea because if he gets stopped for anything, he'll end up in the hoosegow.

He says, "well, I'm pretty good at avoiding contact with the cops."

I say, "Alrighty then. Tell me this Dillinger, how did they manage to catch you in the first place?"

He replied, "hehe, good point."

Then I reminded him he can't "take care of it" himself without showing up at the <blank> court house, and they have these guys called "deputies" who will take him into custody when he tells the clerk why he's there."

Then he left.

Curly Bill
8/16/2008, 02:17 PM
You had Dillinger in your sights, Public Enemy #1 and you let him go? :eek:

StoopTroup
8/16/2008, 02:18 PM
You shoulda Joe Pesci'd him in the neck with your pen. ;)

Chuck Bao
8/16/2008, 02:22 PM
Why can't he just mail it in, like I do my taxes*?

*I'm totally legal and up to date on my taxes as of last month.

Okla-homey
8/16/2008, 02:22 PM
You had Dillinger in your sights, Public Enemy #1 and you let him go? :eek:

Not worth killing a guy over a handful of heisted CD's from an out-of-state Wal-marts.;)

StoopTroup
8/16/2008, 02:23 PM
You ever think about doin' commercials? ;)

9kXANJ1BB3Y

Curly Bill
8/16/2008, 02:24 PM
Not worth killing a guy over a handful of heisted CD's from the Wal-marts.;)

I guess not, unless you like killing folks. ;)

Okla-homey
8/16/2008, 02:28 PM
I guess not, unless you like killing folks. ;)

that's generally frowned on. See, if a guy seeks legal advice about stuff he's already done, you can't narc on him. It's a lawyerin' rule and stuff.

Curly Bill
8/16/2008, 02:30 PM
that's generally frowned on. See, if a guy seeks legal advice about stuff he's already done, you can't narc on him. It's a lawyerin' rule and stuff.

I guess it's good to have lawyerin' rules...

...you know since most of 'em are sorta crooked. :P