PDA

View Full Version : Franks in the wrong?

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2008, 12:32 PM
I was wanting to know what franks did this summer to lose the respect of his team. He mentions it in this article, but no details.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?tab=ou&subjectID=92&articleid=20080815_92_B1_Soeeli556373

Sir Elwood
8/16/2008, 12:56 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. We may never know what happened. It's one thing to be scorned by the coaching staff and another to lose your 'mates respect and drop in the depth chart.

yermom
8/16/2008, 01:03 PM
sounds like he dealt with it the right way, whatever it was

Blitzkrieg
8/16/2008, 01:44 PM
he cut the tag off his mattress, it seemed like no big deal at the time......

tennsooner
8/16/2008, 01:51 PM

Thank gawd it was just the mattress. Had it been the pillows I would have moved for his immediate release.

Curly Bill
8/16/2008, 01:56 PM

Had he rapped about removing the tag from his mattress he'd be enrolling at Troy right now. :P

OU Adonis
8/16/2008, 02:25 PM
I have it on a reliable source. He got into it with a conditioning coach and said some things in anger.

goingoneight
8/16/2008, 02:54 PM
They said thaty about Adron Tennell also, and Adron and Schmiddy both denied it.

JLEW1818
8/16/2008, 03:44 PM
So at this point he is one of the starting CBs ?

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2008, 04:02 PM
So at this point he is one of the starting CBs ?

Yes! You can breath easily now.

JLEW1818
8/16/2008, 04:04 PM
jeepers, I was worried.

tulsaoilerfan
8/16/2008, 04:24 PM
So it's Schmitty's fault, right? :)

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2008, 04:32 PM
Schmitty has a track record of pissing off athletes; and to be honest I disagree with some of his training tactics; such as focusing on bulking up the athletes rather than keeping them trim and swift. Defensive backs shouldnt be built like tailbacks and have so much bulk, when they have to run all game and keep up with receivers. Marcus Walker is a perfect example; that guy put on 10-15lbs of muscle between his junior and senior year, and the loss of speed and quickness was noticeable.

Blitzkrieg
8/16/2008, 04:36 PM
Had he rapped about removing the tag from his mattress he'd be enrolling at Troy right now. :P

Had he rapped poorly about it, he'd be at Troy right now.

Blitzkrieg
8/16/2008, 05:18 PM
Schmitty has a track record of pissing off athletes; and to be honest I disagree with some of his training tactics; such as focusing on bulking up the athletes rather than keeping them trim and swift. Defensive backs shouldnt be built like tailbacks and have so much bulk, when they have to run all game and keep up with receivers. Marcus Walker is a perfect example; that guy put on 10-15lbs of muscle between his junior and senior year, and the loss of speed and quickness was noticeable.

Like Dillard, who went to Nebraska and is tearing it up.....................?

If you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

101sooner
8/16/2008, 06:10 PM
Like Dillard, who went to Nebraska and is tearing it up.....................?

If you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Get a load of Brandon Kieth's b**l sh*t. Thanks Brandon for the TCU loss.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2008/08/15/20080815spt-cardsfeat.html)

stoopified
8/16/2008, 06:24 PM
So it's Schmitty's fault, right? :)Has to be one of the assistant conditioning coaches,Schmitty only hammers OL. :)

noobalicious
8/16/2008, 07:54 PM
So, our starters are....

Franks, Jackson at CB
Holmes, Harris at S

?????

Glad to see he's getting back to where he needs to be. He needs to work on his run D. I think he'll be good to great in coverage.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/16/2008, 09:22 PM
Well, he is an impact player on NCAA football 09. So, he has to be awesome ;)

JLEW1818
8/16/2008, 11:52 PM
Our team will be as good as our secondary is. POINT BLANK.

VA Sooner
8/17/2008, 12:31 AM
I think we're good on secondary... they just need a little experience with the first few games during the first of the season to learn to work well together.

Any word on the abilities of the new JUCO LBs?

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 12:43 AM
D Franks, this guy will be the next..........................?

KingBarry
8/17/2008, 03:23 AM

KingBarry
8/17/2008, 03:28 AM
Sorry.

soonerspudman
8/17/2008, 11:50 AM

Disagree. In OU's schemes all DB's have to support against the run. At this level a DB must have bulk or get run over or injured. Same with receivers, you've got to catch the ball over the middle. Study the highlights, these guys get pounded after they catch the ball, small frames just don't hold up.

I like Schmitty's approach, he forces players to either step up or step down. He weeds a lot of guys out for Stoops before they ever see the field. OU's a better program because of Schmitty.

adoniijahsooner
8/18/2008, 04:21 PM
Disagree. In OU's schemes all DB's have to support against the run. At this level a DB must have bulk or get run over or injured. Same with receivers, you've got to catch the ball over the middle. Study the highlights, these guys get pounded after they catch the ball, small frames just don't hold up.

I like Schmitty's approach, he forces players to either step up or step down. He weeds a lot of guys out for Stoops before they ever see the field. OU's a better program because of Schmitty.

I understand what you are saying, but players have to be able to keep their agility, and when you watch the problems we have against the pass, you have to believe there is a happy medium there.

goingoneight
8/18/2008, 06:38 PM
Problems against the pass are nationwide and it even goes into the pro level. Nobody is shutting down the pass these days. It's just one of those things... I heard Pat Jones call it an "era" a few days ago, and that's the best I can describe it. Right now it's all about the O... but don't mistake, we'd take all the D we can get.

Besides, it's not like Schmiddy is putting a bunch of lardasses out on the field for us... constantly we hear about how OUr guys feel they'rein the best shape of their lives.

JLEW1818
8/18/2008, 08:02 PM
Very nicely put. You going to change your name after this season?

OU-HSV
8/18/2008, 08:24 PM
Well guys, I've been reading lately that Lendy was going to now move to starting CB along with Brian Jackson. And that Franks will be bumped to 2nd team. I think we even had a thread about that last week.
But that may change again after the solid sounding scrimmage performance of Franks.

JLEW1818
8/18/2008, 08:28 PM
Ya I don't think anybody will know for sure until gameday??

Charla
8/18/2008, 08:35 PM
Does schmiddy get paid as much as BV just to screw things up ?

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 08:38 PM
Does schmiddy get paid as much as BV just to screw things up ?

:D That was funny! SPEK to you.

JLEW1818
8/18/2008, 08:43 PM
CB you are sneaking up on 5,000.

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 08:46 PM
CB you are sneaking up on 5,000.

I'm working at it...

...and whoa what's that?

Oh, that's just your girl sneaking up on me! :D

JLEW1818
8/18/2008, 08:48 PM
hahaha. We are watching the Giants right now, and a little Family Guy.

Curly Bill
8/18/2008, 08:52 PM
hahaha. We are watching the Giants right now, and a little Family Guy.

Good times! :D

Jello Biafra
8/19/2008, 10:55 AM
trust me, the opportunity still exsists for the agility. ultimately, the athlete has to WANT to be a better player for himself ,his teamates and for his school. i have met schmitty and agree with everything he does, the players hate it at the time but it does nothing but help everyone involved. the dude is wearing three national championship rings for a reason.

HateTheWhorns
8/19/2008, 11:26 AM
OK guys, I've been lurking (and occasionally posting) on this board for eight years and there has been a consistent theme about Schmiddy running off players from our team during the off-season (mostly OL).

What I haven't seen (and maybe I missed one or two) is a player who left because of Schmiddy that made us regret his departure. The majority of the players that I recall leaving were lazy, troubled, or just flat out did not have the talent to make it at OU.

Maybe the issue is with recruiting and maybe Schmiddy is having to bear the brunt of running off (or challenging) kids that fit into this category. I did read the Brandon Keith article recently and he is the only one I can remember actually getting drafted into the pros. While he hasn't made it yet, he also strikes me as someone that falls into the lazy and troubled categories.

IF I am correct, then why all of the Schmiddy bashing or enuendos that he is the source of our attrition problems?

Curious for your feedback.

Jello Biafra
8/19/2008, 11:42 AM
OK guys, I've been lurking (and occasionally posting) on this board for eight years and there has been a consistent theme about Schmiddy running off players from our team during the off-season (mostly OL).

What I haven't seen (and maybe I missed one or two) is a player who left because of Schmiddy that made us regret his departure. The majority of the players that I recall leaving were lazy, troubled, or just flat out did not have the talent to make it at OU.

Maybe the issue is with recruiting and maybe Schmiddy is having to bear the brunt of running off (or challenging) kids that fit into this category. I did read the Brandon Keith article recently and he is the only one I can remember actually getting drafted into the pros. While he hasn't made it yet, he also strikes me as someone that falls into the lazy and troubled categories.

IF I am correct, then why all of the Schmiddy bashing or enuendos that he is the source of our attrition problems?

possibly, because they have never been in the type of situation where they need to perform or move out. not saying anything about the posters opposing schmidt but i have seen several players that came in as prima donnas, were pushed publicly and stepped up to the challenge. two extere cases were/are wes simms and Moe dampeer. simms was one that was in trouble early in his career and you always heard about him being lazy or slow and he ended up getting drafted.....moe dampeer was publicly chastized and ridiculed for being a possible first round draft pick but had questionable dedication etc. there are probably better stories but those are the two that i remember that were extremes. anyone remember more public displays?

OUMallen
8/19/2008, 11:49 AM
Get a load of Brandon Kieth's b**l sh*t. Thanks Brandon for the TCU loss.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2008/08/15/20080815spt-cardsfeat.html)

Guys like that- trouble always follows them, but they are miraculously never in the wrong. Jerk. :mad:

Jdog
8/19/2008, 03:30 PM

I agree with you - but didn't Illinois have one of those OLinemen playing for them in the Rose Bowl last year? and now we have a reclamation project from LSU

I guess it's kind of like one teams problem is another teams project.

OU_Sooners75
8/19/2008, 03:41 PM
Holy Jebus jlew1818....

Don't you have a life?

The VIIIth
8/19/2008, 03:53 PM
Schmitty has a track record of pissing off athletes; and to be honest I disagree with some of his training tactics;.

Schmitty, like Chase Daniel, epitomizes Short Man Syndrome.

Take their picture, I guarantee there's a hand missing...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Mutante/Napoleon_Bonapartes_portrait.jpg

Jello Biafra
8/19/2008, 04:17 PM
Schmitty, like Chase Daniel, epitomizes Short Man Syndrome.

Take their picture, I guarantee there's a hand missing...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Mutante/Napoleon_Bonapartes_portrait.jpg

I guess im missng something here.....

why is it schmidt's fault we have prima donna recruits quit?

you can diagree with his tactics. hate the way he coaches....think he's ugly. hate the way he scrathces his crack and then sniffs his fingers.....

he has still coached 4 heisman trophy WINNERS
coached 23 nfl first round draft picks
has 3 national championship rings
and has coached in two others
not to mention coaching in multiple bowl wins.....

im willing to give him the benfit of the doubt.

Scott D
8/19/2008, 04:23 PM
now now jello, don't forget he's coached a handful of torn acl's too ;)

Jello Biafra
8/19/2008, 04:30 PM
now now jello, don't forget he's coached a handful of torn acl's too ;)

i just know you're joking...gotta be. if you're not, we need to talk and figure out how to market the workout thatkeeps you from tearing ligaments...:D

Scott D
8/19/2008, 05:24 PM
if I had that figured out I would have already bought the election ;)

adoniijahsooner
8/19/2008, 07:04 PM
I guess im missng something here.....

why is it schmidt's fault we have prima donna recruits quit?

you can diagree with his tactics. hate the way he coaches....think he's ugly. hate the way he scrathces his crack and then sniffs his fingers.....

he has still coached 4 heisman trophy WINNERS
coached 23 nfl first round draft picks
has 3 national championship rings
and has coached in two others
not to mention coaching in multiple bowl wins.....

im willing to give him the benfit of the doubt.

I am not defending the crybabies that give up on there team; but there are guys that stay that complain about the scmid. I actually prefer to have these guys vomiting all summer, and crawling all over the field in sweltering heat; but everyone knows that all players are different, and you must train players according to their needs, and stop trying to squeeze the life out of these players. "Schmiddy gets pissed if we don't make our time". From the immortal Malcolm Kelly, who I believe had a run in with him after he was done with his career at OU.

goingoneight
8/19/2008, 07:24 PM
Malcom Kelly was thinking about the NFL after the OU/Nebraska BIG 12 Champeenship game, people. I still don't see why people are so pissy about him leaving, he was an NFL receiver playing college ball and obviously his knees weren't worth the gamble for "one last run" at college glory.

Jello is 100% correct. How many people have went and just torn it up at other programs? If someone is against a drill sergeant-type of coach, it's 99.9% of the time the player's attitude rather than the coach who is the problem.