PDA

View Full Version : Go Vote for Sam Bradford! ASAP

OU-HSV
8/15/2008, 01:28 PM
Poll at the bottom right, "who will be Tebow's main competition for the Heisman Trophy this season"
GO VOTE PEOPLE!!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

NormanPride
8/15/2008, 01:30 PM
No chance he wins this one. Besides, who cares? The others are overhyped, and I'd rather Sam not get have those kinds of distractions.

OU-HSV
8/15/2008, 01:32 PM
No chance he wins this one. Besides, who cares? The others are overhyped, and I'd rather Sam not get have those kinds of distractions.

Yeah, well it's preseason, so let's go vote. We're all bored and waiting...this gives us something to do.

It will honestly be tough for him to win this one, I agree. It's like he's being ignored cause he's a sophomore, which makes no sense, cause Tebow was a soph last year and seemed to get praise all season. Seems like he ought to be getting a little more preseason hype for the Heisman though.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/15/2008, 01:47 PM
Wow. Sammy B doesn't get much love outside of Oklahoma. :(

RedstickSooner
8/15/2008, 02:38 PM
Well, see, he doesn't get the love because *clearly* he's a product of the "system". After all, every single year, we just plug a new quarterback in, and win 10 or 11 games.

Like clockwork.

Every year.

Any quarterback.

Wait, what was that? 8-4? Sorry. Not familiar with that. I'm sure you must be mistaken. Why, if the Sooners had gone 8-4, particularly with the highest-ranked HS qb in the nation... That'd fly in the face of this newly-coined, and patently absurd, conventional wisdom.

Don't tell me the sports media could've gotten something *wrong*. That's impossible. A myth. Like the female orgasm.

I hate them so much.

It never ceases to amaze me the leming-like way in which they all follow suit as soon as one of them comes up with some absurd piece of conventional wisdom, no matter how asinine. Yeah. Sam shouldn't be in the Heisman debate because he's a "system" quarterback.

Too bad that "system" involves being lucky enough to end up with some supremely talented quarterbacks, and then developing them into stars.

It isn't like we're Texas Tech, throwing it 70% of the time. We run a balanced offense, and our coaching staff has managed to get some really good QBs in the past decade. Three superb ones, a couple of fine ones, and one fudge-up who did about as much damage to the program as an individual player is capable of, short of carrying in and detonating a suitcase nuke.

Maybe some of you more activist Sooner fans can write in and complain about this to College Football Live. See if we can force them to admit that if we were such a "system" school, 8-4 would've never happened.

cheezyq
8/15/2008, 03:41 PM
Well, see, he doesn't get the love because *clearly* he's a product of the "system". After all, every single year, we just plug a new quarterback in, and win 10 or 11 games.....

Quick, someone get RedstickSooner a drink of water, or a doctor! His ideal-o-meter is broken and is out of control! ;)

I'm with you RS, but I'm too cynical and lazy to go through all that just to get the puny-brained masses to stop being sheep. It isn't worth the effort, and it isn't in the interest of the media to step out from the norm and cater to a crowd that doesn't reside on a coast of some sort. The effort would be utterly futile.

To people outside of B12 country, the 2000 season just plain didn't happen. How on earth could a non-coastal school win anything? We're too slow and stupid in the midwest, right? That's what these "free thinkers" contemplate as they follow each other single file in their daily commute. Apparently because they have crime and smog and it takes 2 hours to reach their place of work, they must be more enlightened than the rest of us.

But that's ok. The last thing I want is those burnouts infiltrating my space or claiming any piece of the Sooner goodness that I enjoy. I'll happily drive my nice vehicle to and from my nice modestly priced home that's not very far from my office, and work in a highly technical position that allows plenty of free time for pursuits outside of the job. I'm perfectly fine letting those "geniuses" work 14 hours a day to pay for their $400k 950 square-foot 2-bedroom townhomes. Yeah, they're so much better off than I am, but I don't care. :rolleyes:

No, I'll gladly let them think that Sam Bradford is a product of the "system" and it'll be sweet vindication if/when we win an MNC with him. And I'll enjoy it all the more in my comfortable 2-story home with HD and other modern entertainment luxuries.

Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to have an opinion about sports, and polls only reflect the opinions of people that generally have no clue, and generally don't matter in the world of sports. The same goes for the media. I may sit up and listen when a coach says something, because he's been hired to be knowledgeable about his sport, his team, and his opponents. But the media are just hired to have combed hair, be thin, and have an opinion (regardless of how correct/incorrect they may be).

Basically, this was the long way of saying, "I really don't give a **** about ESPN's opinions". Hell, ESPN still thinks that baseball matters on a grander scale than football. I guess if you're an insomniac, I would agree. Realistically, they're just pandering to the Yankee/Red Sox empire for the sake of ratings and $$$.

OU_Sooners75
8/15/2008, 04:01 PM
RS, good points. But let me say it in a way that can be asked to the media.

Name One quarterback in the nation that is not a system QB?

Don't schools recruit the best players for their scheme? I don't recall many coaches recruiting all their players simply because they are the best available. This is not the NFL Draft.

SO when I hear the made up phrase, "System Quarterback," I laugh. Because simply put, the Media is too stupid to understand that all quarterbacks are recruited for the offensive system in place at [name] University.

sooner518
8/15/2008, 04:36 PM
the female orgasm.

I hate them so much.

:eek: :eek:

OU-HSV
8/15/2008, 04:38 PM
Interesting points. But I've never really heard Sam, JW, JH, NH, or PT referred to as system QBs.
However I have heard of Graham Harrell (and every other tejas tech qb) referred to as system QBs. And Graham is getting damn near as many votes as Sam is in that poll.
When I hear system QB talked about on t.v. or the radio, it always seems to be texas tech or hawaii type teams

NormanPride
8/15/2008, 04:56 PM
White was referred to as a system QB quite a few times. Their "system" though meant that he had tons of insanely good WRs to throw to and they did all the work.

I guess their NFL performance somewhat negates that stance. :(

Sam needs to improve his deep accuracy, his timing, and his ability to lead on the road. He also needs WRs that don't get the dropsies when they're not on Owen Field. If he does that and we win, then he'll be in the hunt. If he just does "okay" and doesn't mess up, then we'll just win and screw the damn popularity contest. :D

JLEW1818
8/15/2008, 06:10 PM
I'll be doing my yearly mediating this time in two weeks to get ready for the season.

SOONERxWife73
8/15/2008, 06:58 PM
Does it really matter what espn thinks? no, not in my house. sam works whatever you want to call the scheme, system, whatever. nuf said.

OU-HSV
8/15/2008, 07:14 PM
White was referred to as a system QB quite a few times. Their "system" though meant that he had tons of insanely good WRs to throw to and they did all the work.

I guess their NFL performance somewhat negates that stance. :(

Sam needs to improve his deep accuracy, his timing, and his ability to lead on the road. He also needs WRs that don't get the dropsies when they're not on Owen Field. If he does that and we win, then he'll be in the hunt. If he just does "okay" and doesn't mess up, then we'll just win and screw the damn popularity contest. :D

I recall what you're saying about JW, but I think like you say it's more that his WR's were excellent.
Maybe that's what they are waiting for from Sam, to see if he can throw to a group of awful receivers...which is never gonna happen. We still have Manny, Iglesias, Gresham and so on. And lots of young talent at WR.
Thanks to Stoops and company, we'll never have to see our QBs throw to mediocre WRs and TEs. AND that's a great thing.

Of the things you mentioned for Sam, the ability to lead on the road is the biggest issue to me. I saw Sam throw plenty of accurate deep balls and his timing was pretty damn good the majority of the time.
And one thing he'll never have to work on is standing strong in the pocket and making great passes knowing he's about to get hit. He did that more than a couple times last season...and hopefully our O-Line is much improved so that he won't have to take those hits anymore.
I love your last 2 sentences, awesome stuff.

Sabanball
8/15/2008, 09:15 PM
Voted.

swardboy
8/15/2008, 09:52 PM
Vote dammit...if 800 west virgins can do it, surely we can raise our 460 f'in hillbilly votes!!

OU-HSV
8/15/2008, 11:32 PM
Vote dammit...if 800 west virgins can do it, surely we can raise our 460 f'in hillbilly votes!!

werd

StoopTroup
8/16/2008, 08:33 AM
Tebow wins it. Sam comes in 2nd. We meet Florida for all the marbles and Mike Balogun meets Tebow in the Pregame Coin Toss and says "We've come to get OUr Boyz Trophy Back".

Then we beat their a$$.

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2008, 09:17 AM
Tebow wins it. Sam comes in 2nd. We meet Florida for all the marbles and Mike Balogun meets Tebow in the Pregame Coin Toss and says "We've come to get OUr Boyz Trophy Back".

Then we beat their a$$.:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2008, 09:22 AM

Then we beat their a$$.Me wonders if T-BO will have the same NFL record as Weenie?

IronHorseSooner
8/16/2008, 09:39 AM
Me wonders if T-BO will have the same NFL record as Weenie?

I actually respect Tebow as a person and as a QB. Florida runs a system w/o a true RB, and does what he's told. I think he will have a better career than Weinke, that is if his coach doesn't make him immobile by the end of his career. The kid was really banged up at the end of last year...That being said, Sam will have a better career than Tebow at the next level because he won't be as banged up coming out of school as Tebow because he had more talent on his respective OL. Tebow=Alex Smith, and he was a SYSTEM QB.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/16/2008, 09:42 AM
Wow. Sammy B doesn't get much love outside of Oklahoma. :(People in Montana love him!

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2008, 09:51 AM
Wow, espn and no Jimmy Clausen?http://chicagoguy.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/emu-12.jpg

Sirus
8/16/2008, 04:41 PM
If you notice, every home state favors their QB but have a few votes for other Qb's with the exception of West Virginia.

KingBarry
8/17/2008, 03:50 AM
Why are Sooners so defensive? Have been all my life.

Sam isn't overlooked because "he's a sophomore." He is overlooked because folks are skeptical that he will make a serious Heisman run this year. End of story.

I think Bradford is respected nationally, but let's face it, he's seen more as a competent game manager than a dynamic playmaker. He makes some throws, and keeps his team in a position to win, but he isn't seen as a consistent gambreaker and team leader (Colorado? West Virginia?) We might as well admit that his personality is a little mild to be a nationwide TV sensation.

That said, last year he was a freshman. If he grows in the leadership role this season, he'll be in position to really contend for the Downtown Athletic club in '09.

OU-HSV
8/17/2008, 09:23 AM
Why are Sooners so defensive? Have been all my life.

Sam isn't overlooked because "he's a sophomore." He is overlooked because folks are skeptical that he will make a serious Heisman run this year. End of story.

I think Bradford is respected nationally, but let's face it, he's seen more as a competent game manager than a dynamic playmaker. He makes some throws, and keeps his team in a position to win, but he isn't seen as a consistent gambreaker and team leader (Colorado? West Virginia?) We might as well admit that his personality is a little mild to be a nationwide TV sensation.

That said, last year he was a freshman. If he grows in the leadership role this season, he'll be in position to really contend for the Downtown Athletic club in '09.

Mild personality?? JW had a mild personality and he won the Heisman, Tebow didn't seem to me like he has an electric personality. Yes both of those guys were proven leaders, I agree that plays a substantial role in it...but then you think about Georgia's QB Stafford for example. He seems to be getting tons of hype for '07 stats that weren't as good as Sam's. And he had a 2 loss regular season just like Sam. So I don't know that he can be labeled a better leader than Sam.
Sam IS a playmaker, he is an accurate passer, and I think he'll step up his leadership role this year so that we don't have meltdowns like CU and WV last year (maybe you're right, that's what the media is waiting to see from him). But it's not like Sam was out there flinging swing passes every other play to produce the nation's best efficiency in '07..he made short, medium and deep passes. And that's how he posted the awesome stats he did. Some of the throws he made were under pressure, some of them threading between 2 or 3 defenders to make big plays.
Maybe he'll simply fly under the radar til late season and then make a push for it.
All that said, I think we'd all agree that if we run the table and play for the BCS Championship, we could all care less if Sam wins the Heisman or not at that point. But it would be added satisfaction if he won it.