PDA

View Full Version : Its time for the yearly Bob Barry Sr. needs to retire thread...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2008, 09:26 AM
;)

:gary:

OUMallen
8/15/2008, 10:02 AM
In some nomadic Native Americans tribes, the most honorable thing an elder member of the tribe could do when he or she was too old to keep up was to be left behind voluntarily to their eventual death instead of slowing the tribe. It wasn't viewed as murder or suicide...it was viewed as a sacrifice by one for the many and one of the most noble things a tribesman could do.

/Just sayin' : )
//Let's get this thread stoked up nice and hot!

OKLA21FAN
8/15/2008, 10:10 AM
I heard the BB thinks the Pride is better now than it was in the '70s and '80s. :pop:

The_Red_Patriot
8/15/2008, 10:36 AM
TOUCHDOWN HOLLIS PRICE!!!!

fadada1
8/15/2008, 10:39 AM
... and The Pride converts the extra point.

badger
8/15/2008, 11:02 AM
Ok, ok... I'll join in...

...TAJ Bomar... no relation to Brett Romar...

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/15/2008, 11:33 AM
Heupel under center, there's the snap. Hands off to Griffin...actually, that was Bradford fakes to Murray...Bradford drops back, THROWS down the left side, to Bradley. I mean Johnson. CAUGHT! To the 20, the 15, the 10, the 5!

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!

BoomerJack
8/15/2008, 12:19 PM
I have resigned myself to the fact that ol Bob isn't gonna retire. I truly believe that he has sold his soul in order to be able to broadcast football play by play until one of two things happen: the Sooners break the .500 mark against UT or the Sooners with their tenth MNC.

badger
8/15/2008, 12:32 PM
It's not like there's any shortage of broadcasters out there that could take his place. I mean, sure he has a familiar voice, his constant on-air botching's were cute for awhile, but he is going to get forced into retirement soon. He is in no position to bargain. It's not like hes Joe Paterno and put Penn State on the football map. OU football will continue broadcasting after Bob Barry is gone and it will be rated just as high as before.

Flagstaffsooner
8/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Keith Jackson has been senile since about 1982 and he's still on.

badger
8/15/2008, 12:45 PM
Keith Jackson has been senile since about 1982 and he's still on.

Well, they got rid of Final Four dude, so there IS hope for any other aspiring sportscasters that want the same opportunities that old white guys have had for so many years! :D

(no knock on old white guys - my family's full of them)

Dio
8/15/2008, 12:46 PM
Merv, have you seen my hot dog?

MiccoMacey
8/15/2008, 12:49 PM
He's exasperating to listen to on the radio.

However, he's like your drunk uncle at family parties who knows all the history of your family and tells all the stories.

He gets a few wrong from time to time, and he calls cousin Susie "Aunt Mary", but he's passionate about your family and it comes through in his stories.

badger
8/15/2008, 12:51 PM
He's exasperating to listen to on the radio.

However, he's like your drunk uncle at family parties who knows all the history of your family and tells all the stories.

He gets a few wrong from time to time, and he calls cousin Susie "Aunt Mary", but he's passionate about your family and it comes through in his stories.

Perhaps he can be a John Madden type then, with someone else naming the players and what just happened, while Bob Barry adds commentary?

Partial Qualifier
8/15/2008, 12:52 PM
he is going to get forced into retirement soon.

that's been "common knowledge" since 1998. :(

Oh and a cursory "If you went to the games, you wouldn't have to listen to the radio broadcast"

plus a bonus obligatory "He's a Sooner, leave him alone"

and the super-jackpot "I listen to him while I'm at the game, and I dont see what the problem is?"

Partial Qualifier
8/15/2008, 12:56 PM
Heupel under center, 6-2 210, hails from Aberdeen South Dakota, hobbies include fishing, biking and uh.. uh.......there's the snap! Hands off to Griffin...actually, that was Bradford fakes to Murray... WE GOT A FLAPCRACK ERM CRACKBACK ON THE FLIFTY! Bradford drops back, THROWS down the left side, to Bradley. I mean Johnson. CAUGHT! To the 20, the 15, the 10, the 5!

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA! NO FLAGS!!

enhanced

MiccoMacey
8/15/2008, 01:00 PM
that's been "common knowledge" since 1998. :(

Oh and a cursory "If you went to the games, you wouldn't have to listen to the radio broadcast"

plus a bonus obligatory "He's a Sooner, leave him alone"

and the super-jackpot "I listen to him while I'm at the game, and I dont see what the problem is?"

Mrs. MiccoMacey says: winner, winner, chicken dinner!:)

OKLA21FAN
8/15/2008, 01:08 PM
some how, I am just not going to miss 'how bout them apples' as much as I do 'Jimmmmmineeeeee Christmas'!!!!!!!! :gary:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2008, 01:30 PM
Heupel under center, there's the snap. Hands off to Griffin...actually, that was Bradford fakes to Murray...Bradford drops back, THROWS down the left side, to Bradley. I mean Johnson. CAUGHT! To the 40, 50 , 55, 40, 30, 20, the 15, the 10, the 5!

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!

Doubly enhanced...

sOUnder
8/15/2008, 05:40 PM
"Sam Bradshaw"

"Joaquin Iguana"

"Antoine Sausage"

"Patrick Alan"

"Joe Don Finley"

"Reggie Jackson back to field the punt."

"Adrian Peterson blasts up the middle for a one-yard gain!"

"The free throw is up...and good!"

Marinara sauce = "Maryanna" sauce (which isn't half bad...), and the word 'chipotle'...well, that's really not even fair.

:P

goingoneight
8/16/2008, 12:06 AM
"Reggie Kelly" as heard in 2006 twice against UW. TWICE.

"Hand off, fumble... but Miami recovers, and now Oklahoma's got it going the other way... this is... I believe it's Reggie Smith... Touchdown Oklahoma?"

Sam got credit for most of Joey Halzle's second half against Taco Tech last year.

"Chase fires... soft pass tipped, fumbled--intercepted!!!"

Paul Thomas
Charles Thompson apparently had a monster game against Texas Tech in 2006.
Trent Smith, Trent Rateree... same thing.
Brett Rhomar... Holiday Bole MVP!!!111!!1 Heh, maybe he was supposed to go to Texass after all.

Logger Logger saved his best for his final year, Bob.

Austin Jostin

and now... 2008:

"Brad Samford"
"DeMosis Murphy"
"Jermaine Smith"
"Quentin Grif... Chaney"
"Auston Box throws McCoy down in the backfield."
"Austin English just hammers the tight end over the middle Merv."
"Dominque Jackson and Brian Harris compliment Lendy and Nic Proctor well, don't they?"
"Mack Lapp for a touchdown... 66-12 the score... Johnny Stevens to attempt the extra point."

Easting
8/16/2008, 08:37 AM
I heard the KFOR won't go Hi-Def until BBS and Linda retire. I bet they have a large supply of chip clips to hold all that skin back.

goingoneight
8/16/2008, 03:05 PM
KFOR? :confused:

PDTsooner
8/16/2008, 03:45 PM
I enjoy the guy and he's the voice of the Sooners for me! I really could care less about his on air gaffs. He still sounds better than the Micky Mouse fellow calling OSU games.

goingoneight
8/16/2008, 06:26 PM
Like anyone gives a **** about OSU games...

Personally, I'd have compared him to "say goodnight" guy at Tejas.

Crimsontothecore
8/16/2008, 07:50 PM
I like Bob Barry. He brings tremendous passion to what he does and you can tell by the tone of his voice he's an OU fan and not just their play-by-play guy. His emotion makes up for the mispronounced names.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is to call a game, let alone do it flawlessly. For those of you being so critical, watch an OU game you have taped and see if you can call it anywhere nearly as accurately as BB. I'll bet most of you stumble before getting through two plays. And don't forget you also have to know the OTHER teams players.

Bottom line, if you listen to an OU game on the radio and you really don't know who Bob's referring to, you're probably not much of an OU fan anyway and you should keep your mouth shut.

Jdog
8/16/2008, 10:43 PM
I enjoy the guy and he's the voice of the Sooners for me! I really could care less about his on air gaffs. He still sounds better than the Micky Mouse fellow calling OSU games.

any one know how many years Bob Barry called OSU game?

Jdog
8/16/2008, 10:51 PM
some how, I am just not going to miss 'how bout them apples' as much as I do 'Jimmmmmineeeeee Christmas'!!!!!!!! :gary:

I still use 'Jimmmmmineeeeee Christmas'!!!!!!!! every chance I get.

Jdog
8/16/2008, 11:00 PM
Bob's family......like it or not

Partial Qualifier
8/16/2008, 11:18 PM
He's not my family. He's paid good money to paint a picture of the action and he flat sucks at it.

By that logic, Shnellenberger was family -- we should not have sent him packing. Right?

:confused:

So that's three 'He's a Sooner, leave him alones' :O

StormySooner-IN
8/16/2008, 11:23 PM
During the A&M game last year twice.....

10....15.....5...Touchdown Oklahexas A&M.......

;)

PDTsooner
8/17/2008, 12:34 PM
He did that just for you. So you whould have something to post.

birddog
8/17/2008, 01:22 PM
Heupel under center, there's the snap. Hands off to Griffin...actually, that was Bradford fakes to Murray...Bradford drops back, THROWS down the left side, to Bradley. I mean Johnson. CAUGHT! To the 20, the 15, the 10, the 5!

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!

No, wait, oklahoma takes a timeout.

birddog
8/17/2008, 01:25 PM

well, he did do radio for boone state for 18 years.

PhilTLL
8/17/2008, 02:17 PM
Huh. So how many games weren't on TV anywhere at all last year? And how many games did any of you literally lose track of what was going on? Suck it up and indulge the old guy. Stop whining! (Thanks, Arnold...)

badger
8/17/2008, 02:20 PM
He'll retire soon anyways, whether we start annual threads (or weekly threads) on this topic or not. Talking for three to four hours straight is not something that just anyone can do for any length of time.

Personally, since we have nothing to compare him to at the moment (except television talking heads, which is a completely different boat), there's not much course for argument - like comparing ESPN's Sportscenter to... um... that other station's hourly live sports news show... um... yeah. Sure some of us think ESPN has an unfair monopoly on sports agenda setting and propelled the removal of Brett Favre from retirement and from Green Bay. Sure we think ESPN stole the Heisman from Josh Heupel by reminding the entire national a la "Reminding you that Woodson is a primary defensive player!" that Chris Weinke was an old guy that played pro baseball before coming to Florida State... sure we think ESPN has a crappy agenda every week, including Big 12 Championship game week when they were pushing both Mizzou as a championship team and Daniel as a Heisman finalist...

:mad: We're stuck with the status quo no matter how many complaints are filed in regards to our sports personalities. Deal with it. :mad:

German Corner
8/18/2008, 10:36 AM
I think a great fit would be Joel Myer.

He's TV play by play for FSN and has done many Big 12 games.

He would be expensive but what a step up in quality.

I listen to radio at the games not for play by play but for sideline info.

Watching the game in person I can tell what's happening but the sideline info is what the broadcast does well with.

Mr. Barry, with all due respect, you can't hardly tell what he says and spends more time backtracking than just calling or talking.

An example would be "man can he really run the ball, not that the other backs can't really run either but he made a great run. That's my opinion, not that that means anything really since coach Johnson you're opinion would be more qualified since you've coached much more than I have and we all know I've never coached but I have seen many of these fine athletes over the years so now I'm showing my age, ha ha. But don't you feel the same way coach, not that questioning your years of experience or hinting that your old or anything coach......bla bla bla"

What a waste of time. Call the game, don't try to be funny unless you're funny, get in get out meaning call the play and let the color anylists be the peronality if needed.

His time is long past, time for a new guy period. Joel Myer, my vote.

stoopified
8/18/2008, 10:40 AM
I vote YES

KantoSooner
8/18/2008, 10:49 AM
Quote from a West Virginian friend with whom I listened to the Fiesta Bowl last year upon his first hearing of BB:

"Wow. I never knew Oklahoma and West Virginia were so much alike."

And for anyone in doubt, he did not say that as a compliment.

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 01:20 PM
Bottom line, if you listen to an OU game on the radio and you really don't know who Bob's referring to, you're probably not much of an OU fan anyway and you should keep your mouth shut.

BTW Crimsontothecore, Just so you know: I negged you because of the above comment -- not because I think your opinion is dumb.

OKMAGIC
8/18/2008, 02:19 PM
I would love to see BB interview Joe Pa.

Crimsontothecore
8/18/2008, 05:50 PM
BTW Crimsontothecore, Just so you know: I negged you because of the above comment -- not because I think your opinion is dumb.
Like I care. My red didn't get any redder.
I stand by my statement that the ones who criticize the most are the ones that need perfect play-by-play to keep up.
I remember a few years back listening to BB do basketball and he kept calling Michael Johnson Michael Jordon. I thought it was funny but apparently some people here were actually thinking MJ came out of retirement to play for the Sooners:confused:

goingoneight
8/19/2008, 10:17 PM

He's TV play by play for FSN and has done many Big 12 games.

He would be expensive but what a step up in quality.

I listen to radio at the games not for play by play but for sideline info.

Watching the game in person I can tell what's happening but the sideline info is what the broadcast does well with.

Mr. Barry, with all due respect, you can't hardly tell what he says and spends more time backtracking than just calling or talking.

An example would be "man can he really run the ball, not that the other backs can't really run either but he made a great run. That's my opinion, not that that means anything really since coach Johnson you're opinion would be more qualified since you've coached much more than I have and we all know I've never coached but I have seen many of these fine athletes over the years so now I'm showing my age, ha ha. But don't you feel the same way coach, not that questioning your years of experience or hinting that your old or anything coach......bla bla bla"

What a waste of time. Call the game, don't try to be funny unless you're funny, get in get out meaning call the play and let the color anylists be the peronality if needed.

His time is long past, time for a new guy period. Joel Myer, my vote.

Except for the fact that we play like **** everytime Joel calls OUr games. :mad:

MrJimBeam
8/20/2008, 05:12 AM

Bob Carpenter will be the next play-by-play voice of the Sooners.

German Corner
8/20/2008, 08:41 AM
Do you know some inside scoop concerning Bob Carpenter?

I think he'd do a fine job.

He' s as cordial as any you would meet. Bob Barry Sr. is as nice of a person as any you would meet and it's almost unfair to comment on his play by play, yet it's hard to follow.

Doesn't sound like anything is happening this year unless someone knows some scoop...

MrJimBeam
8/21/2008, 04:09 AM
Do you know some inside scoop concerning Bob Carpenter?

Bob has roots in the midwest. His two sisters, whom he very close to, still live in St. Louis. He's on the radio every day in Tulsa. Plus, he still does Mazzios commercials. It's pretty obvious, don't you think?

P.S. Has he not been the TV voice of Sooner basketball?