PDA

View Full Version : Cincy's Mauk sues NCAA

budbarrybob
8/14/2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe we'll be playing a "slightly" better Cincy.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26200812/

we should just quit now... ;)

JLEW1818
8/14/2008, 05:48 PM
doubt he gets it.

Fraggle145
8/14/2008, 05:56 PM
Go for it kid!

What was it the Boz's shirt said?

National Communists Against Athletes

OUMallen
8/14/2008, 06:31 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) -Quarterback Ben Mauk is not giving up his quest to play one more season at the University of Cincinnati.

Less than a week after the NCAA rejected his final appeal, Mauk has filed a lawsuit against the association. Hardin County Judge William Hart in Mauk's home area of Kenton, Ohio, has granted a temporary restraining order that says the NCAA cannot prevent him from practicing with the Bearcats.

The judge set an Aug. 22 hearing on Mauk's request for a permanent injunction. The story was first reported by WKTN-FM in Kenton.

Mauk was a key player as Cincinnati rose to college football's Top 25 last season. He wants another season of eligibility, saying he lost college playing time because of injury while at Wake Forest.

goingoneight
8/14/2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe he should attach "USC" next to his "quarterback" title.

sooner59
8/14/2008, 11:53 PM
The guy has been hurt so much that I can't blame him. The NCAA are who we thought they were. I actually want him to play in Norman so they will be better and make us look better when we win. Plus im in his corner anyway. He has no chance of NFL aspirations so he is clinging to his football career. The guys loves to play, so why knock him? I hope he wins and we beat him senseless.

OU_Sooners75
8/15/2008, 03:20 AM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but OU has had a handful of athletes granted a 6th season thanks to injuries or illnesses. Why not Ben Mauk?

The NCAA needs to stop judging by where players are located adn start being consistent.

I think it is time for a major overhauling of the NCAA. And the Conferences and Schools can bring this about.

IronHorseSooner
8/15/2008, 07:33 AM
I am all for this guy. Look, most of us never gat a shot at playing at this level. It is a dream. Let this guy live out his dream, just like John Williams and Jason White. That being said, with or without him, they will lose in Norman. Everywhere else, I wish him the best.

Scott D
8/15/2008, 09:03 AM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but OU has had a handful of athletes granted a 6th season thanks to injuries or illnesses. Why not Ben Mauk?

The NCAA needs to stop judging by where players are located adn start being consistent.

I think it is time for a major overhauling of the NCAA. And the Conferences and Schools can bring this about.

in Mauk's case, his argument is harder to agree with because he also decided to do the 5th year player transfer without losing eligibility clause that lasted for one year. Or more bluntly, he got beat out by a younger qb at Wake, so he used a one year rule to switch to Cincy. He was probably one of the main reasons the coaches decided the graduate transfer thing wasn't such a great idea.

Had he stayed at Wake he might have stood a better shot of the eligibility thing, but it would have been pointless because he still wouldn't have been the starter. Also, the NCAA seems to be welcoming this lawsuit, so they clearly expect to win.

poke4christ
8/15/2008, 09:07 AM
I still confused as to why he was denied. If he got hurt in the first game of the season doen't that mean he qualifies for a medical redshirt?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2008, 09:25 AM
This will end badly comes to mind...

But as Poke4Christ says, I wonder about the lack of medical information to prove he was out for the season after his first Wake appearance. Did he not follow medical advice or did he use it as a means to transfer and lost the year when he could have played?

AAABearcat
8/15/2008, 10:23 AM
I still confused as to why he was denied. If he got hurt in the first game of the season doen't that mean he qualifies for a medical redshirt?

The season in question was his first one at Wake, he claims he did not play because of an injury sustained in high school. The NCAA, it has been reported, believes that even if healthy; he would have been redshirted, so the injury was not the reason for the redshirt year. WF's 2003 class only had 2 freshmen players not redshirt.
He has been offered a coaching position on UC's football staff. Coach Kelly will not let him practice, unless cleared by the NCAA and Kelly believes that is not going to happen. At this point, he is becoming a distraction; he needs to let it go.

The Maestro
8/15/2008, 11:18 AM
You gotta feel for the Cincy coaches. How do they practice with this guy knowing he may not be allowed to play? Hard to find that balance to have him ready, but also have the other guy ready.

Scott D
8/15/2008, 11:21 AM
You gotta feel for the Cincy coaches. How do they practice with this guy knowing he may not be allowed to play? Hard to find that balance to have him ready, but also have the other guy ready.

based on the post above yours, I guess the answer is they don't let him practice :)