PDA

View Full Version : Which player will be the newcomer of the year for OU?

soonerfan28
8/14/2008, 12:24 PM
In my opinion it has to be Balogun or Broyles. Maybe Proctor since Broyles will have some catches taken away by the other receivers. Basically I just wanted to know who people thought would make the biggest impact as a newcomer this year.

htownsooner7
8/14/2008, 12:53 PM
Choices are fairly limited with so many key players coming back. My answer to the stated question is Proctor.

On a slightly different note, I think Clayton will be the biggest contributor for a guy that didn't start last year (although he did very well on special teams).

setem
8/14/2008, 01:07 PM
Survey says....

Jackson!

badger
8/14/2008, 01:29 PM
Survey says....

Jackson!

http://a218.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/s_f42eeeea38714910ad6ef7dedd9a0b31.jpg
The survey REALLY says...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1856534.jpeg
(ding!)
Jimmy Stevens is a redshirt freshman and our new kicker out of OKC. He is competing with Matthew Moreland of Tulsa, another redshirt froshie for the starting kicker job.

Odds are either of these guys will have more of an effect on the team than any other freshman this year, as they will likely be the starting kicker and score a lot of points during the next few years.

soonerfan28
8/14/2008, 02:11 PM
http://a218.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/s_f42eeeea38714910ad6ef7dedd9a0b31.jpg
The survey REALLY says...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1856534.jpeg
(ding!)
Jimmy Stevens is a redshirt freshman and our new kicker out of OKC. He is competing with Matthew Moreland of Tulsa, another redshirt froshie for the starting kicker job.

Odds are either of these guys will have more of an effect on the team than any other freshman this year, as they will likely be the starting kicker and score a lot of points during the next few years.

What happened to Tress Way?

badger
8/14/2008, 02:23 PM
What happened to Tress Way?

Good point! Here is the analysis. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080809_92_B3_hPosit631025 )

Kicking game

The only certainty is that Mike Knall, who averaged 43.7 yards last year and was terrific in the Big 12 championship and Fiesta Bowl, returns to punt. Other than that, the Sooners' kicking game is somewhat of a mystery. Jimmy Stevens and Tress Way are the two freshmen competing to replace Garrett Hartley, the Sooners' kicker the past four years, and coach Bob Stoops has been impressed with both through a week of practice. There will also be a new holder to replace Hays McEachern, either Knall or Carter Whitson, a walk-on wide receiver. Derek Shaw of Sand Springs walked on to deep-snap for OU last year, but he's out with an Achilles injury. That leaves the snapping to Kyle Johnson, a senior walk-on from Konawa, and Ben Hampton and James Winchester, a pair of late additions.

"Whether Derek is healthy or not, those guys are in the mix," Stoops said. "We'll be fine."
So, add Tress to the mix.

(ding!)

;)

DrZaius
8/14/2008, 02:50 PM
I am gonna stick with my original thought: Austin Box, even with the injury.

NormanPride
8/14/2008, 03:24 PM
As far as point go, it will be Stevens. But Way or Moreland will be doing the kickoffs, which will impact our D greatly.

As far as the majority of the plays, I'd say Balogun, the starter at WILL right now.

pappy
8/14/2008, 08:07 PM
I'm gonna say tress way or jimmy stevens whoever wins the kicker spot. I've seen too many games come down to the leg of the kicker and not just at the end where the kicker is coming out to tie a game or win it in the closing seconds but also because you miss the extra point and you may have just cost your team the game and now you lose 28 - 27 instead of going to overtime.

goingoneight
8/14/2008, 08:15 PM
Willie Warren.

htownsooner7
8/14/2008, 09:04 PM
Dallas Morning News is now reporting that Franks will be starting at corner, so who really knows what's going on? Will Holmes be starting at corner or safety?

goingoneight
8/14/2008, 09:27 PM
Wide receiver...
... since when do we listen to Texans about OU-related info? They spun the Bomar story into the big *** fiasco it was in the news. A kid caught figuratively with his pants down milking the clock, working for a booster becomes all 85 scholarship athletes driving brand-spankin' new premium sports cars on Bob Stoops's tab.

These are the people who rate Texas MNC run as more impressive than OU's 2000 run. Clearly they don't let facts get in the way.

MichiganSooner
8/14/2008, 09:57 PM
Either Balogun or Box.

sooner59
8/14/2008, 11:22 PM
Dallas Morning News is now reporting that Franks will be starting at corner, so who really knows what's going on? Will Holmes be starting at corner or safety?

I doubt ill count on the DMN to have the definitive news on the Sooners. But I guess its no worse than the Oklahoman so take it for what you will.

stoopified
8/15/2008, 04:36 PM
Ryan Broyles,based soley on the rave reviews I have heard from coaches and players.I still think he should have been booted from the team BUT that ain't my call.Hopefully he stays out of trouble.