PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford - Humble Leader and True Definition of a Leader

setem
8/14/2008, 10:58 AM
(Cliff's Notes: Sam Bradford's girlfriend gave birth to a delicious 16oz Porterhouse steak. The afterbirth was sautéed mushrooms!)

Anyone who has paid much attention to sports in the last couple decade knows that athletes are a different breed than what they used to be. Even in recent years we have seen the antics of Terrell Owens AKA TO, Michael Vick, and who could forget good ole Ocho-Sinco-Chad Johnson? Pro-Athletes that are the epitome of the over the top, always in the public eye and “I am going to get mine” attitude that so many amateur players are fashioning their style after.

Even coaches are putting themselves above the team. We all remember the rants and antics of football coaches pro and college alike. Dennis Green is who we thought he was and Mike Gundy will always be a man and 40 even though now he is 41 and addicted to Red-Bull! These characters in the soap-opera that is athletics today have separated themselves from the pack and made it clear to all of us that they believe they are above the program or above their organization. Do not get me wrong I am all for coaches and players trying to fire up their players or teammates, working hard and giving that win one for Gipper or win at all costs speech. But, it should be left behind closed doors and out of the public eye. A coaches words are for his players and not the media and not the fans. We can get fired up on our own we don’t need any help. That is what pep-rallies are for.

Why a coach would go to the media and let loose on a tangent about his players and program is beyond me. The press conference is to inform the media on the status of the team and to answer any questions the media might have about the program and that is all.

All of this bulletin board material should be deemed as selfish and foolish grandstanding. When Gundy came out and challenged the media he did not represent his player, he was not fighting for his program, he was letting the world know that he is bigger than Cowboy Football. He drew attention away from the true star of his program Zac Robinson who had as good of a season as any OSU quarterback can have. Even Les Miles(while at OSU) in his goofy antics only used the media to help his players and not himself. When people think Oklahoma State football they think of spiked hair and screaming instead of a kid who was one of two QB’s in college football to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 800. This is a case of where a player who leads on the field has more impact than the head coach.

Another such case is that of University of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford. Bradford is on many watch lists this year but you will never hear him comment on how good he is or how he is going to run the Big XII with an Iron Fist or Golden Arm, if you will. The kid is about as humble as they come and only time will tell if Sam can live up to the dream season he had in 2007 as apposed to the sophomore slump that so many have been talking about. I would put my money on Sam having another great year. Besides having a supporting cast to make a great run at a national championship the guy has all the tools to lead the Sooners into the college football promised land.

Last season on the field Bradford led his team with his skills and not so much his words. I have heard players comment on how Sam was a meek character in the huddle. He would give the play, break the huddle and go to work. This season I think we will see Sam take a bigger roll in being a vocal leader. I don’t think we will see any TO activity or any Blonde Girlfriends in the stands giving him the Tony Romo treatment. I think we will see him taking a bigger roll in being a field general instead of just a quarterback.

I also think we will see a player unleashed on the competition. Some of you may not know this but Sam might have put up bigger numbers than he did last season. He might have set the bar so high that future freshmen player may never reach it. He could have put up numbers that would make pro coaches kneel at his feet. I can remember two occasions last season where Sam was held back from throwing the ball because the Sooner coaching staff wanted to “respect the records” of former Sooners like Jason White and his position Josh Heupel. Did we hear Sam complain? I am sure it was not easy for Bradford to hold back but we will never know and that is a good thing.

He may take a bigger vocal stance on the field but we will still see his blue collar off the field. Unless he proves me wrong, Sam will always be Oklahoma Sooner QB Sam Bradford and not Sam Bradford QB for the Oklahoma Sooners. His team and their success is what is important to him and that is the most best trait any coach could ask for in a quarterback.

One could only hope that Bradford’s characteristics trickle down to younger players and they follow in his footsteps. There is only one way I can see Sam Bradford putting himself in front of the lime light. It will happen when he leaves. Sam Bradford will have left his mark on the Oklahoma Sooners and college football. He will be the standard for QB’s in college football and he will leave giant shoes for future Sooner QB’s to fill. I only hope they fill them with as humble feet as Sam did.

Sam is just a guy who does his best for his team!:pop:

setem
8/14/2008, 11:07 AM
BOOOOOOO to ME! I need a mod to change the title! Take out the first leader in my thread title please?

Thanks!

badger
8/14/2008, 11:19 AM
Try this...

1- Edit
2- Go Advance
3- Change the title of your post.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

However, I highly recommend keeping titles as short as possible, as longer titles can make quick replies a nuisance to edit down longer titles with the RE: added in.

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:20 AM
Try this...

1- Edit
2- Go Advance
3- Change the title of your post.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

However, I highly recommend keeping titles as short as possible, as longer titles can make quick replies a nuisance to edit down longer titles with the RE: added in.

I think ya gots to be a sposor Baj .
Hes just a sicem troll :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:22 AM
Deer lord..did anybody read that? I m not gonna even start

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:24 AM
Deer lord..did anybody read that? I m not gonna even start

In a word ?
NOPE

setem
8/14/2008, 11:25 AM
Why? toooo long?

SoonerLB
8/14/2008, 11:28 AM
Why? toooo long?

BINGO! We have a winner! ;)

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:31 AM
Why? toooo stupid from the begining?
Now Ya got it :rolleyes:

setem
8/14/2008, 11:31 AM
God forbid we break away from the gooner stigma and READ!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:38 AM
That post is the definition of gooner stigma.

swardboy
8/14/2008, 11:45 AM
Swardboy Notes Version:
1. Sam is humble
2. Same will stay humble
3. Well, Sam might get cocky AFTER his Sooner days are over, but that's ok.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Sward for taking one for the team

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks Sward for taking one for the team

Yup spek Bro , Your version makes more sense :D

badger
8/14/2008, 11:48 AM
I'll read it :D

Anyone who has paid much attention to sports in the last couple decade knows that athletes are a different breed than what they used to be. Even in recent years we have seen the antics of Terrell Owens AKA TO, Michael Vick, and who could forget good ole Ocho-Sinco-Chad Johnson? Pro-Athletes that are the epitome of the over the top, always in the public eye and “I am going to get mine” attitude that so many amateur players are fashioning their style after. Even coaches are putting themselves above the team. We all remember the rants and antics of football coaches pro and college alike. Dennis Green is who we thought he was and Mike Gundy will always be a man and 40 even though now he is 41 and addicted to Red-Bull! These characters in the soap-opera that is athletics today have separated themselves from the pack and made it clear to all of us that they believe they are above the program or above their organization. Do not get me wrong I am all for coaches and players trying to fire up their players or teammates, working hard and giving that win one for Gipper or win at all costs speech. But, it should be left behind closed doors and out of the public eye. A coaches words are for his players and not the media and not the fans. We can get fired up on our own we don’t need any help. That is what pep-rallies are for. Why a coach would go to the media and let loose on a tangent about his players and program is beyond me. The press conference is to inform the media on the status of the team and to answer any questions the media might have about the program and that is all. All of this bulletin board material should be deemed as selfish and foolish grandstanding. When Gundy came out and challenged the media he did not represent his player, he was not fighting for his program, he was letting the world know that he is bigger than Cowboy Football. He drew attention away from the true star of his program Zac Robinson who had as good of a season as any OSU quarterback can have. Even Les Miles(while at OSU) in his goofy antics only used the media to help his players and not himself. When people think Oklahoma State football they think of spiked hair and screaming instead of a kid who was one of two QB’s in college football to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 800. This is a case of where a player who leads on the field has more impact than the head coach.

Another such case is that of University of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford. Bradford is on many watch lists this year but you will never hear him comment on how good he is or how he is going to run the Big XII with an Iron Fist or Golden Arm, if you will. The kid is about as humble as they come and only time will tell if Sam can live up to the dream season he had in 2007 as apposed to the sophomore slump that so many have been talking about. I would put my money on Sam having another great year. Besides having a supporting cast to make a great run at a national championship the guy has all the tools to lead the Sooners into the college football promised land. Last season on the field Bradford led his team with his skills and not so much his words. I have heard players comment on how Sam was a meek character in the huddle. He would give the play, break the huddle and go to work. This season I think we will see Sam take a bigger roll in being a vocal leader. I don’t think we will see any TO activity or any Blonde Girlfriends in the stands giving him the Tony Romo treatment. I think we will see him taking a bigger roll in being a field general instead of just a quarterback. I also think we will see a player unleashed on the competition. Some of you may not know this but Sam might have put up bigger numbers than he did last season. He might have set the bar so high that future freshmen player may never reach it. He could have put up numbers that would make pro coaches kneel at his feet. I can remember two occasions last season where Sam was held back from throwing the ball because the Sooner coaching staff wanted to “respect the records” of former Sooners like Jason White and his position Josh Heupel. Did we hear Sam complain? I am sure it was not easy for Bradford to hold back but we will never know and that is a good thing. He may take a bigger vocal stance on the field but we will still see him humble on the field. Unless he proves me wrong, Sam will always be Oklahoma Sooner QB Sam Bradford and not Sam Bradford QB for the Oklahoma Sooners. His team and their success is what is important to him and that is the most important trait any coach could ask for in a quarterback. One could only hope that Bradford’s characteristics trickle down to younger players and they follow in his footsteps. There is only one way I can see Sam Bradford putting himself in front of the lime light. It will happen when he leaves. Sam Bradford will have left his mark on the Oklahoma Sooners and college football. He will be the standard for QB’s in college football and he will leave giant shoes for future Sooner QB’s to fill. I only hope they fill them with as humble feet as Sam did.

Sam is just a guy who does his best for his team!

As a hyper typer that like to write too many words for most to handle, I recommend spacing. It makes it easier for people to read, even if they are avid readers. Space out your thoughts more. You definitely had good thoughts. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:49 AM
and take badger's advice

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:50 AM
I'll read it :D

As a hyper typer that like to write too many words for most to handle, I recommend spacing. It makes it easier for people to read, even if they are avid readers. Space out your thoughts more. You definitely had good thoughts. :)

Uh Baj ? I think his thoughts ARE SPACED OUT :D

badger
8/14/2008, 11:59 AM
Uh Baj ? I think his thoughts ARE SPACED OUT :D

I meant

to hit

ENTER twice

every so

often

like this!

You know?

Ok then.

:D

setem
8/14/2008, 12:01 PM
Swardboy Notes Version:
1. Sam is humble
2. Same will stay humble
3. Well, Sam might get cocky AFTER his Sooner days are over, but that's ok.

1 and 2 is correct!

3 I don't think I said that... Sam's is the example all OU QB's should pattern after.

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:04 PM
I meant

to hit

ENTER twice

every so

often

like this!

You know?

Ok then.

I was Kinda referin to this way :P
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/aex/lowres/aexn31l.jpg

sooneron
8/14/2008, 12:08 PM
God forbid we break away from the gooner stigma and use a decent number of paragraphs!

fixed for you

StormySooner-IN
8/14/2008, 12:17 PM
Awesome post. Excellent read....thanks a million.

couldve used paragraphs tho.:P

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 12:18 PM
like you read it

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:19 PM
like you read it

Kids Now adays :rolleyes:

birddog
8/14/2008, 12:19 PM
setem, you wrote all that or copy and pasted?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 12:20 PM
if he c & p'd it, the original author should have his keyboard taken away

birddog
8/14/2008, 12:23 PM
well, whatever. this is what i see and i took a rapid reading class in high school.....

scfgvkjzdfbklsdfjblzfbjbj;bj;fdgkladgjaekrpktgjaep rotiqe4o5ptpoe45itioaeprtyopaerityapeorgujpaeortyp aoeriuopaeritypoaeritgupoaeriutupwERTETGJDZNB NDAFKPJGBPAEROGIQEPOTUIAEPRUIFPOIUPoisrgopiyhwr6yi oujeroptgiujopaertgiropahopritjhoijiyuyuyufgdfmldp rfoprgopgijfidjfvjldafgadjfgoijazpoasdjigv;ZDfjkpa osdijfgpadofgjiadpfoigjadopifgupaeorituaiodfjgjozc jb;zdbdtghjjyjtyujjjyjhtyutyuiytfggikikikikikikiki kikikikhcfmbdfkmbkdfbjdofbjodfbjizdofbozdflkdcfbkl zsdfgoisfjghojsfghojfgohjsfgohijfgohjfghojifghojfg ojhdoferieidcvnvnv

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:23 PM
Did anybody read more than the 1st sentence ? :eek:

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:25 PM
well, whatever. this is what i see and i took a rapid reading class in high school.....

scfgvkjzdfbklsdfjblzfbjbj;bj;fdgkladgjaekrpktgjaep rotiqe4o5ptpoe45itioaeprtyopaerityapeorgujpaeortyp aoeriuopaeritypoaeritgupoaeriutupwERTETGJDZNB NDAFKPJGBPAEROGIQEPOTUIAEPRUIFPOIUPoisrgopiyhwr6yi oujeroptgiujopaertgiropahopritjhoijiyuyuyufgdfmldp rfoprgopgijfidjfvjldafgadjfgoijazpoasdjigv;ZDfjkpa osdijfgpadofgjiadpfoigjadopifgupaeorituaiodfjgjozc jb;zdbdtghjjyjtyujjjyjhtyutyuiytfggikikikikikikiki kikikikhcfmbdfkmbkdfbjdofbjodfbjizdofbozdflkdcfbkl zsdfgoisfjghojsfghojfgohjsfgohijfgohjfghojifghojfg ojhdoferieidcvnvnv

I put that In the nOOb translater and this is what it really says ;)
fpstixwmqsoxyfqswoymsowow;ow;sqtxynqtwnrxecxgtwnrc ebgvdr4b5cgcbr45vgvbnrceglbcnrevglncrbethwcnrbeglc nbrevhbcnrevglcbnrevgthcbnrevhghcjREGRGTWQMAO AQNSXCWTOCNREBTVDRCBGHVNRCEHVSCBVHCbvfetbcvluje6lv bhwrebcgtvhwbcnregtvebcnubcevgwubvwvlhlhlhstqszyqc esbcetbctvwsvqwsiwyqnstnqwstbvwnmcbnfqwvti;MQswxcn bfqvwstcnqbstwvnqcsbvtwnqbcvsthcnrbevghnvbqswtwbmp wo;mqoqgtuwwlwglhwwwlwuglhglhvlgsttvxvxvxvxvxvxvxv xvxvxvxupszoqsxzoxqsowqbsowbqsowvmqbsobmqsyxqpsoxy mfqstbvfswtubwfstubwstbuwfstbuvwstbuwstubwvstubwst bwuqbsrevrvqpiaiai

setem
8/14/2008, 12:28 PM
God damn you guys are jerks!

I'm going away to be a puke!

badger
8/14/2008, 12:29 PM

We came after you because we thought you were a man![hairGel]

But... if that makes you wanna puke, then you must be without child.

;)

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:29 PM

You say the 1st Like its something New ?
You say the second LIke its something New !:pop:

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:31 PM
We came after you because we thought you were a man![hairGel]

But... if that makes you wanna puke, then you must be without child.

;)

I thot we was doing Destructive Criticism :D

poke4christ
8/14/2008, 12:45 PM
Even coaches are putting themselves above the team. We all remember the rants and antics of football coaches pro and college alike. Dennis Green is who we thought he was and Mike Gundy will always be a man and 40 even though now he is 41 and addicted to Red-Bull! These characters in the soap-opera that is athletics today have separated themselves from the pack and made it clear to all of us that they believe they are above the program or above their organization. Do not get me wrong I am all for coaches and players trying to fire up their players or teammates, working hard and giving that win one for Gipper or win at all costs speech. But, it should be left behind closed doors and out of the public eye. A coaches words are for his players and not the media and not the fans. We can get fired up on our own we don’t need any help. That is what pep-rallies are for.

Why a coach would go to the media and let loose on a tangent about his players and program is beyond me. The press conference is to inform the media on the status of the team and to answer any questions the media might have about the program and that is all.

All of this bulletin board material should be deemed as selfish and foolish grandstanding. When Gundy came out and challenged the media he did not represent his player, he was not fighting for his program, he was letting the world know that he is bigger than Cowboy Football. He drew attention away from the true star of his program Zac Robinson who had as good of a season as any OSU quarterback can have. Even Les Miles(while at OSU) in his goofy antics only used the media to help his players and not himself. When people think Oklahoma State football they think of spiked hair and screaming instead of a kid who was one of two QB’s in college football to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 800. This is a case of where a player who leads on the field has more impact than the head coach.

I can not even begin to say how much this hacks me off or how incorrect it is. Outside of Gundy EVERY rant out there has come back with negative backlash against the coach. To say that his rant was about himself and how he is bigger that OSU football in completly wrong. This is a job he has been working his entire post-college life towards and one that he will only leave if told to.

I know there is nothing I can say that will change your mind as your opinion is obviously rooted in anti-osu bias (not unexpected for any rivalry). However, I still feel the need to speak up and say something. I've meet the man and it isn't about himself. When a man calls this his "new york yankees" job he doesn't consider himself bigger than the university. Mike Gundy is more committed to OSU then the large majority of college coaches out there are to their schools.

I'm not saying he's any type of saint and I don't know if he's a wonderful person or not. That takes spending a lot of time with someone to truely learn. However, I do know that he cares. To say that the rant was all about him would mean that everything he said and did in that was fake. That every emotion he displayed was rigged. I can see wanting to do that if he knew the result in advance, but considering that every other rant ever has had a negative outcome I don't see why he would use this method to try to make himself look big. Finally, if it was fake he's in the wrong profession. He should be in Hollywood because that performance was oscar worthy.

setem
8/14/2008, 12:53 PM
Finally, if it was fake he's in the wrong profession. He should be in Hollywood because that performance was oscar worthy.

I can respect your view on this because I know you will defend OSU as I would OU. I don't know if your read about the times leading up to that rant but BR came out after and said that rant ruined his life. Gundy could give a crap about Bobby he gave up way before that rant. Why would a coach go to task for a player he doesnt care about? I guess you could take it as he did care and he was fighting for him or you could say he was trying to make it look like he wasnt giving up.

BTW that rant was not oscar worthy it was clownshoes!

badger
8/14/2008, 01:00 PM
He should be in Hollywood because that performance was oscar worthy.

Howdy, Poke4. I must say that I would agree if it weren't for the fact that the Oscars are all political and such and would go to the guy that got snubbed the year before to make up for the snubbery :)

poke4christ
8/14/2008, 01:12 PM
I can respect your view on this because I know you will defend OSU as I would OU. I don't know if your read about the times leading up to that rant but BR came out after and said that rant ruined his life. Gundy could give a crap about Bobby he gave up way before that rant. Why would a coach go to task for a player he doesnt care about? I guess you could take it as he did care and he was fighting for him or you could say he was trying to make it look like he wasnt giving up.

BTW that rant was not oscar worthy it was clownshoes!

I understand what you are saying about bobby, but how someone thinks a person feels about doesn't equal the reality. Obviously their relationship was stressed, but I think that had more to do with bobby being replaced then anything. Everything that's come out has been after he left OSU. Bobby's biggest problems was the fact that he lost the starting position. He's even insinuated that it was because of race. Anyone who's watched OSU football knows that Zac has performed heads and shoulders above anything reid ever did. Zac deserved the spot and Gundy waited a very long time to put him in. It wasn't a rash descision.

Finally, my point was that if the rant was about himself, then it makes no sense. According to every other example in history that would have had a negative reaction for Gundy. At the time, there was no way to know it would end up so positive.

**warning tangent coming**
Obviously I'll defend OSU. However, I know that not everyone at OSU is saints and I don't think that everyone at OU is a sinner. The fact is that College athletes in general are not the greatest quality of people. A lot of them really need help to grow and develope as people. That was one of the things I learned from Gundy when I meet him. Something like 75% (forget the exact number) of our football team (something that you will find with almost any program) comes from broken homes. People get mad about taking in players like Jarbo or Printess Eliot, but the fact is there are plenty like that and it doesn't mean that Stoops or Gundy are just trying to win at all costs. It's just a fact of college football. Gundy and stoops are trying to help these kids through life while winning games. Gundy told me that the large majority of what he does has nothing to do with football. It has to do with the kids themselves. Maybe that's why stoops hasn't gone pro yet. You move to pro and you loose that.

final thought: the truley sad and ironic thing about this whole situation is that Jenny Carlson was probably right. :eek:

badger
8/14/2008, 01:21 PM
Gundy told me that the large majority of what he does has nothing to do with football.

http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/38000/38879_JigglyFace.jpg
sorry, just found that funny, but I see what you're saying with the rest.

SouthFortySooner
8/14/2008, 01:24 PM
I don't see this convo happnin on the side lines. "Coach Stoops records could be broken let's not pass or run or whatever...". If it does fine. I just don't see it in my magination.

soonermix
8/14/2008, 01:26 PM
I can remember two occasions last season where Sam was held back from throwing the ball because the Sooner coaching staff wanted to “respect the records” of former Sooners like Jason White and his position Josh Heupel.

when did that happen?

setem
8/14/2008, 01:28 PM
I dont think they had that convo either. But I do remember in post game Bob saying they pulled Bradford early so he wouldnt break those single game records set by JW and JH because they wanted to respect those guys.

I believe it was after Miami and Utah state.

He will break them this year no doubt!

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 01:31 PM
I dont think they had that convo either. But I do remember in post game Bob saying they pulled Bradford early so he wouldnt break those single game records set by JW and JH because they wanted to respect those guys.

I call Bull**** , LINK ?

badger
8/14/2008, 02:19 PM
I tried, setem - I did at least a dozen google searches and watched out press conference videos - Bradford said he didn't even realize he broke the record in the (p)UNT game and I didn't hear anything unusual about the Miami game record.

If you'll think back to that first month of those record setting performances, Stoops only allowed Bradford to do three interviews (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070912_2_B1_hrbri00421). Not a lot of chance for him to dish out the White/Heupel respect. However, Bradford always credited his teammates first in those big performance wins.

In any event, tying the records as opposed to beating them gives him something to shoot for in year 2, so it's probably better this way.

setem
8/14/2008, 02:30 PM
I did the same thing and I just read your post! I swear to GOD I heard a coach from OU say that they pulled same before he could break those records out of respect. I must be losing it. I have looked everywhere and not **** is to be found!

soonermix
8/14/2008, 02:31 PM

and here i thought bob pulled sam because we were DOMINATING the game

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 02:34 PM
I did the same thing and I just read your post! I swear to GOD I heard a coach from OU say that they pulled same before he could break those records out of respect. I must be losing it. I have looked everywhere and not **** is to be found!

Josh and Jason would have been POed If that had happened :rolleyes:

setem
8/14/2008, 02:35 PM
Josh and Jason would have been POed If that had happened :rolleyes:

No ****! They would have taken him out back and gave him a ****ing good kicking!

badger
8/14/2008, 02:36 PM

Renounce your anti-Sooner ways and you may yet escape Poke purgatory ;)

If you are determined to prove this, I suggest you backtrack what you normal sources for such info is - ouinsider postgame quotes? A particular news channel or newspaper?

In the meantime, I will keep a watch out for this. At the very least, perhaps someone on here could ask Bradford about those records if they have access?

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 02:40 PM
No ****! They would have taken him out back and gave him a ****ing good kicking!

Then why in hell you saying Coach did it ?:rolleyes:

setem
8/14/2008, 02:45 PM
I am not going to lie when I heard it I thought it was rather strange. I hope I am not losing my mind. I have put in an email to the animal and maybe we will get a response from it.

I could always just ask my sister's neighbors, they are like his aunt and uncle I could ask them to ask. Or see if they can set something up?

OH AND I WILL NEVER BE A PUKE! SOONER BORN SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 02:51 PM
I am not going to lie when I heard it I thought it was rather strange. I hope I am not losing my mind. I have put in an email to the animal and maybe we will get a response from it.

I could always just ask my sister's neighbors, they are like his aunt and uncle I could ask them to ask. Or see if they can set something up?

OH AND I WILL NEVER BE A PUKE! SOONER BORN SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DO I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!

When you DO ?:confused:

tommieharris91
8/14/2008, 02:51 PM
I meant

to hit

ENTER twice

every so

often

like this!

You know?

Ok then.

Jenni?

Jenni types like this.

Like.

This.

badger
8/14/2008, 03:36 PM
Jenni?

Jenni types like this.

Like.

This.

An actual Jenni column:

The RUF/NEKS as we’ve long known them are gone.

I say, “Hoorah.”

But I’m also happy that the Oklahoma spirit group that has been around since 1915 isn’t going away entirely.

No doubt you’ve heard the news: earlier this week, the University of Oklahoma banned current members of the RUF/NEKS from official university events. An investigation determined that members had abused alcohol and hazed pledges this semester.

Alcohol abuse.

Pledge hazing.

In my mind, those are two of the biggest problems facing college campuses today. Of course, I’ve never understood what it proves to publicly humiliate a freshman or to do a keg stand. Does that make the tormentor or the guzzler more of a man?

I’d say the opposite.

The sad truth is, drinking and hazing are not going away on college campuses. Not even the ban on the RUF/NEKS at OU will change that. But that doesn’t mean the university should’ve just stood by and allowed it to happen. It had to take action.

Frankly, I think it did right by banning the members but not the group.

The RUF/NEKS will now be under the direction of the athletic department, something that frankly should’ve happened years ago. Maybe that would’ve kept the group from recent embarrassment.

The RUF/NEKS were harassing Nebraska players before a game three years ago at OU. A Cornhusker lineman ran into one of the RUF/NEKS, knocking out his teeth. A trial ensued. The lineman was cleared, but the damage was done.

Damage to the RUF/NEKS.

They need to be held to the same standards as every other on-field representative of the school. And even though they’ve shown themselves incapable of that in recent times, they can change. They can drive the Sooner Schooner and fire their shotguns and even carry their paddles without acting like a bunch of knuckleheads.

While some people would rather do without the shotguns and the paddles, I say the RUF/NEKS are one of the things that makes Saturdays at OU unique. They make the stadium feel more like a Wild West corral. They add to the environment.

I wouldn’t want to see the Schooner go away. Heck, I wouldn’t even want to go without those shotguns, even though they still scare the bejesus out of me.

I’m glad the RUF/NEKS have been given a second chance, a chance to clean up their act and remain a part of game day.

-5 points for using the word bejesus :mad:
-10 points, five for each of the two-word sentence/paragraphs :mad:
-5 points for each of the three-word sentence/paragraphs. :mad:
-5 points for each of the four-word sentence/paragraphs. :mad:
-5 points for each of the five-word sentence/paragraphs :mad:
-10 points for fact errors on the Ruf/Nek Nebraska incident. That incident was all on the Nebraska player, NOT on the Ruf/Neks. The one that got hit was a pledge that was doing absolutely nothing but standing on the sideline(I was there).

Total grade: 60/100, D-, barely passing :mad:

:) Oh wait! Asking about what makes "the tormentor or the guzzler more of a man" definitely a tribute to Gundy's rant! For that you receive...

-5 points :mad:

PHAIL.

A Sooner in Texas
8/14/2008, 08:29 PM
Did anybody read more than the 1st sentence ? :eek:

I completely lost interest after the girlfriend giving birth to a steak nonsense.

Sabanball
8/14/2008, 09:58 PM
First, let it be known that I became a Sam Bradford fan watching the RRS last year. His performance that day just amazed me. I dont ever recall a true OU qb freshman playing that well against Texas.

Sam may not have the versatility that Tim Tebow has, but I dont think it will matter in the end, as far as this season goes. As a first time Soph winner of the award, Tim is going to be a huge target in the SEC this year and I think Sam is going to sneak up on a lot of people and be the beneficiary of the excruciating schedule that TT has to play--namely, Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia.That is one main reason that Sam is my pick to win the Heisman this season. I think he's that good and the SEC Defenses will be laying in wait for TT....

Leroy Lizard
8/14/2008, 10:10 PM
I never want any portion of my dinner described as an afterbirth.

So far, Sam seems like a nice guy. From what I can tell, he IS a nice guy. But I am never taken in by anyone that I don't know personally, because you can never tell. One day a player is John Boy Walton; the next day he is Charles Manson.

So while I am very hopeful that Sam will set a good example for how our athletes represent the university, I am not ready to erect a statue to him quite yet. (Besides, there are many people out there that do a lot more good for humanity for far less reward than Sam Bradford.)

By the way, I think Coach Gundy was quite genuine in his rant. I don't see how that can be played off as a selfish publicity stunt. True, it may not have had the effect he wanted, but I don't think we can disparage the effort.

stoopified
8/15/2008, 05:01 PM
Did anybody read more than the 1st sentence ? :eek:I did , but since my typing, syntax, and grammar are often questionable I can relate. Some valid points were made.