PDA

View Full Version : Weird acting cable modem...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2008, 10:51 AM
For those ******-*******s...

I have a cable modem that is directly plugged into the home laptop. It is a Motorola surf-whatever standard for Comcast Cable. I do not have a router plugged into it at this time, but that will change. A while back, I plugged my office laptop into the modem to check/replicate my office email. After this, I plugged my home laptop back in and after a bit, the modem would get all hinky, flashing lights and generally not working or allowing the home computer to sign on. We went through this happening off and on - irregularly for about 2 months. I then tried office email again and it happened and wouldn't connect. I called my IT and the guy new what to do, some series of action and powering down the office laptop and modem. It went away and worked fine. Having returned from a long trip and not beingin in the office for some time after returning, I thought I would replicate again. Again, same issues are occurring only now my IT can't/won't help says it HAS to be a cable problem and Cable says it is a modem problem. No one is any help and after several power downs and cycles, the model again on an irregular basis gets all blinky and stops working.

My operating system on the office laptop is so klugged together with various security crap and other junk, I wouldn't be surprised what the machine would do to something...

Any ideas?

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:01 AM
Shoot that bitch .

StormySooner-IN
8/14/2008, 11:03 AM
Shoot that bitch .
word.

frankensooner
8/14/2008, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you might need some modem lubricant. I like synthetic blend.

kbsooner21
8/14/2008, 11:07 AM
I always feel like a swift kick does the trick

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:11 AM
is it doing the blinking consistently? Also, is it never accessing the innerweb or part of the time?

I m sure you addressed this in your post but thats a lot of words:D

Penguin
8/14/2008, 11:12 AM
Bad cookies.

Triple-right click on the corrupt cookie and choose reset.

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:15 AM
is it doing the blinking consistently? Also, is it never accessing the innerweb or part of the time?

I really think its his Transducer Filter clogged .
You might have to Take it Out and Get some of that special cleanser /Lubricant from Radio shack .

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:21 AM
I really think its his Transducer Filter clogged .
You might have to Take it Out and Get some of that special cleanser /Lubricant from Radio shack .

your wrong...Radio Shack doesn't carry it anymore

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:26 AM
your wrong...Radio Shack doesn't carry it anymore

They do here .

Jerk
8/14/2008, 11:31 AM
I'd turn the modem off every time you changed computers.

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:34 AM

That Might prevent future episodes, But if that Filter is already clogged Hes gonna have to Clean /Lubricate it
Just sayin

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 11:35 AM
They do here .

Oh yeah the Wister Radio Shack..How did I miss that?:D

soonerboomer93
8/14/2008, 11:36 AM
Disconnect the Coax cable from the modem and restart it. Once the "Receive" light begins flashing reboot your computer. If the modem and the computer are communicating, the computer will get a 192.168.100.11 IP address (192.168.0.x with the SBG900) from the cable modem. Shut down your computer. Connect the Coax cable to the cable modem, restart it, and wait for the modem to sync up with the cable company. Once the modem is in sync (Power, Receive, Send, On-line are all illuminated) restart the computer.

(try that, maybe it might work, i don't know for sure)

My SURFboard SB4220 or SB5100 cable modem has a flashing Power LED and the other LED's are solid, is it defective?
No. The newest firmware version out for the SB4220 and SB5100 support a feature called NACO (Network Access Control Off). This feature allows the cable provider to easily determine if a cable modem isn't provisioned properly or has been disconnected due to non-payment. Firmware versions 0.6.3.5 or above for the SB4220, and firmware versions 2.3.0.2 or above for the SB5100 have this feature. This feature has no other affect on normal cable modem functionality; it is only a visual troubleshooting aid.

My Receive/Send Light is flashing and my modem will not go in to standby mode?
The SURFboard cable modem will not enter standby while the "Receive", "Send", or "Online" LEDs are flashing. The flashing of any of these LEDs indicates that the cable modem is in the boot process. Once this process has finished, you will be able to press the standby button and place the modem in the standby mode.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/faqs/surfboard_faq.asp

oh and buy a router

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:40 AM
Disconnect the Coax cable from the modem and restart it. Once the "Receive" light begins flashing reboot your computer. If the modem and the computer are communicating, the computer will get a 192.168.100.11 IP address (192.168.0.x with the SBG900) from the cable modem. Shut down your computer. Connect the Coax cable to the cable modem, restart it, and wait for the modem to sync up with the cable company. Once the modem is in sync (Power, Receive, Send, On-line are all illuminated) restart the computer.

(try that, maybe it might work, i don't know for sure)

My SURFboard SB4220 or SB5100 cable modem has a flashing Power LED and the other LED's are solid, is it defective?
No. The newest firmware version out for the SB4220 and SB5100 support a feature called NACO (Network Access Control Off). This feature allows the cable provider to easily determine if a cable modem isn't provisioned properly or has been disconnected due to non-payment. Firmware versions 0.6.3.5 or above for the SB4220, and firmware versions 2.3.0.2 or above for the SB5100 have this feature. This feature has no other affect on normal cable modem functionality; it is only a visual troubleshooting aid.

My Receive/Send Light is flashing and my modem will not go in to standby mode?
The SURFboard cable modem will not enter standby while the "Receive", "Send", or "Online" LEDs are flashing. The flashing of any of these LEDs indicates that the cable modem is in the boot process. Once this process has finished, you will be able to press the standby button and place the modem in the standby mode.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/faqs/surfboard_faq.asp

oh and buy a router

But wouldnt It be easier to Just clean the Filter ?

yermom
8/14/2008, 11:47 AM

this has been my experience as well

routers are good for this and other reasons though...

i'm a big fan of Linksys, especially this one: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1133202177241&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 11:59 AM
OK Fine listen to these Know nutins , See If I ever try to help again :P

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2008, 12:07 PM
He doesn't know how lucky he is

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 12:09 PM
He doesn't know how lucky he is

I give the Best advice from My Vast Computer Knowledge and they Just Laugh at me :O

Whet
8/14/2008, 03:10 PM
buy a new laptop, desktop, and cable modem.

frankensooner
8/14/2008, 03:13 PM
If the lights are blinking, I guess that means there is enough blinker fluid, right?

Frozen Sooner
8/14/2008, 03:55 PM
Two words.

Laptop.

Frisbee.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2008, 04:26 PM

Yes.

Yes, it says it is connected when it isn't, something like a 192. address

and, yes, it is lots of words, sorry.

Also Thanks to SoonerBoomer for his response.

Animal Mother
8/14/2008, 04:47 PM
If it's the same lame DOCSIS modems COMCRAP used a few years back, I'd say that was the source and the router may help you.