PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Democratic Party Chair murdered

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 05:48 PM
(CNN) -- The chairman of the Arkansas Democratic Party died Wednesday, hours after a shooting at the party's headquarters, police said.

Police block off the streets surrounding the state Democratic Party headquarters Wednesday in Little Rock.

1 of 2 Chairman Bill Gwatney died at 3:59 Wednesday afternoon after a gunman entered his Little Rock office and shot him several times in the upper body, Little Rock Police Lt. Terry Hastings said.

Authorities confirmed the news shortly after former President Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton released a statement expressing their condolences.

"We are deeply saddened by the news that Bill Gwatney has passed away," the former governor and first lady of Arkansas said. "His leadership and commitment to Arkansas and this country have always inspired us and those who had the opportunity to know him."

The shooting suspect, a white male, also died Wednesday afternoon after a police chase ended in gunfire, Hastings said.

Authorities are working to confirm his identity, but Hastings said there was no indication that he was a former employee. He said police were investigating for possible motives, as well as why the suspect went into the Arkansas Baptist State Convention brandishing a gun.

The suspect walked into the downtown headquarters, near the state Capitol building, before noon.

The gunman said he was interested in volunteering, said Sam Higginbotham, a 17-year-old volunteer at the headquarters, The Associated Press reported.

"That was obviously a lie," Higginbotham said, the AP reported.

He said the man pushed his way past an employee to reach Gwatney's office, according to the AP.

A woman in a nearby business told CNN affiliate KTHV that Gwatney's assistant came in and asked her to call police. Watch witnesses describe the incident »

"I thought maybe someone had gotten hit by a car," said Sarah Lee, who works at a florist's shop. "She was just shaking really bad." But then the woman said that Gwatney had been shot and that three shots had been fired, Lee said.

"She said she was waiting on the gentleman. He wanted to see the chairman. She tried to give him Democratic Party stuff," Lee told KTHV. "Evidently, he walked on around her and went in the office and started shooting."

A vehicle description was provided to police, Hastings said, and officers found it. A chase involving Little Rock police, Arkansas State Police and the Grant County Sheriff's Office ended about 20 miles south of Little Rock, where the suspect was shot and taken into custody, he said. See a map of where the suspect was shot »

Police said the suspect drove into a ditch and around a set of spike strips in an attempt to evade police.

Authorities from Grant County said they used a "precision mobilization technique" to hit the vehicle from behind and ram it into another unit.

The man then got out of his vehicle and began shooting at officers, who returned fire.

In Sheridan, Arkansas, where the chase ended, a crowd gathered near the suspect's blue pickup as police cordoned off the area with yellow crime-scene tape. What appeared to be bullet holes could be seen in the truck's windshield.

Before the pursuit, Hastings said, witnesses reported that the suspect entered a nearby Arkansas Baptist State Convention after the shooting and pointed a gun at an employee.

The man was "white as a sheet," convention official Dan Jordan said.

"I've heard he said something do to about losing a job. ... He didn't threaten anyone." The man left through the front door shortly afterward, he said.

Police did not confirm Gwatney's identity until he died, but the Clintons released a statement earlier Wednesday that suggested Gwatney was involved.

"We are stunned and shaken by today's shooting at the Arkansas Democratic Party where our good friend and fellow Democrat Bill Gwatney was critically wounded," they said.

"Bill is not only a strong chairman of Arkansas' Democratic Party, but he is also a cherished friend and confidante. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill and his family today and we wish him a quick recovery," they said.

The Democratic National Committee also issued a statement Wednesday that identified Gwatney.

"This senseless tragedy comes as a shock to all of us," Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said in a written statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chairman Gwatney and his family and we pray for his full and speedy recovery."

Some people just suck.

85Sooner
8/13/2008, 05:49 PM
No Comment as of 5:16 Breit still has him alive.

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 05:49 PM
That probably could have been accomplished by not, you know, commenting.

85Sooner
8/13/2008, 06:08 PM
sorry

swardboy
8/13/2008, 06:15 PM
I need a comment...even if it tells me nothin'

Animal Mother
8/13/2008, 06:23 PM
The guy was a little early. The full moon is Saturday.

OUHOMER
8/13/2008, 07:22 PM
can he be added to the Clinton conspiracy list?

GrapevineSooner
8/13/2008, 07:24 PM
Horrible news.

My prayers go out to his family and all of his loved ones.

Paperclip
8/13/2008, 10:08 PM
Absolutely tragic. Sad, sad, sad. :(

mikeelikee
8/13/2008, 10:33 PM
Terrible, terrible atrocity. Nutcases come in all stripes, and I say this as a loyal Republican. My prayers go out to the Gwatney family.

BurningDog26
8/13/2008, 10:40 PM
It was a huge mistake; HRC thought BHO was going to be there today. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/14/2008, 09:34 AM
It was a huge mistake; HRC thought BHO was going to be there today. ;)Not funny at all.

badger
8/14/2008, 09:43 AM
From a registered Republican, this donkey's for you :)
http://www.acc-tv.com/images/globalnews/gp_democrat_1006.jpg
Even if you disagree politically, you have to respect people that take their time to be part of encouraging others to vote and participate in elections through candidacy, through campaigns, through debates, public events and the like. It was probably a paid position, but probably not highly paid and more of a duty out of civic duty.

So anyway, prayers with his family and friends on this sad day.

C&CDean
8/14/2008, 09:55 AM
So did we ever figure out if this dude was a crazed Republican or a crazed Dem?

StormySooner-IN
8/14/2008, 10:03 AM
From a registered Republican, this donkey's for you :)
http://www.acc-tv.com/images/globalnews/gp_democrat_1006.jpg
Even if you disagree politically, you have to respect people that take their time to be part of encouraging others to vote and participate in elections through candidacy, through campaigns, through debates, public events and the like. It was probably a paid position, but probably not highly paid and more of a duty out of civic duty.

So anyway, prayers with his family and friends on this sad day.
Good badger.....I couldn't have said it better myself.

badger
8/14/2008, 10:07 AM
Good badger.....I couldn't have said it better myself.

I worked with both Republicans and Democrats (and even a few independents) during the 2006 election and they put in SO much work. There are events all across the state that they run around to, speaking events with local constituents, media events with statewide and local media, door knocking, mailing, advertising, volunteers... the works.

While I was definitely a sore thumb sticking out at Democrat events (one volunteer leader kindly told me that I had an R stamped on my forehead when I walked through the door), there is definitely that level of respect for those that take so much time working hard for what they believe is right - representation and suffrage.

Now, if only more than 10 percent of voters would show up at polls... :(

olevetonahill
8/14/2008, 10:13 AM
Not funny at all.

Why hes all red and stuff ;)