PDA

View Full Version : "Tropic Thunder"

KC//CRIMSON
8/13/2008, 01:13 PM
http://authwhore.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tropicposter.jpg

"I know who I am! I’m the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude!"

Trailer: http://www.tropicthunder.com/teaser.swf

Tropic Thunder': Say What? By Kurt Loder

"Tropic Thunder" is a cruel movie. Just when you think it's squeezed every last gasping belly laugh out of you, here comes another barrage of scathing hilarity. The picture is, among several other things, a bunker-buster assault on political correctness, and howls of unhappiness are already being heard from the usual PC precincts. But then how often can that be helped?

It's a movie about the making of a movie — a blockbuster war epic set in Vietnam in 1969. This film within the film, which is also called "Tropic Thunder," is a traditional tale of bloody heroism and great big explosions, with a motley cast of head-case actors. Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller) is a fading action star desperate for a comeback after an ill-advised bid for Oscar credibility — a movie called "Simple Jack," about a, uh, developmentally challenged guy who can talk to animals — left him a laughingstock. Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.) is a blond, blue-eyed Aussie whose pompous commitment to his craft ("I don't read the script; the script reads me") has driven him to undergo skin-pigment alteration in order to play a black Army sergeant in the film. Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black) is the drug-gobbling star of a lucrative series of dimwit pictures devoted to a family of fat, flatulent buffoons. And Alpa Chino (Brandon T. Jackson) is a rapper-turned-actor who also rakes in millions with his hip-hop energy drink, Booty Sweat. The fifth member of this odd squad, a kid named Sandusky (Jay Baruchel), busies himself trying to make sense of what the other four nutcakes are doing, with only intermittent success.

The movie's movie is being shot on location in Southeast Asia, and it's a disaster from the outset — the production is already a month behind schedule after just five days of shooting. Combat consultant Four Leaf Tayback (Nick Nolte), the crusty vet upon whose battle memoir the picture is based, convinces the in-over-his-head director, Damien Cockburn (Steve Coogan), that the only way to salvage the picture is to chopper the pampered actors out into the middle of the jungle, drop them there and shoot the action guerilla-style, to "get some real fear in their eyes." When a gang of actual guerrillas — not the Viet Cong of the movie's long-ago war, but hopped-up thugs guarding a jungle heroin factory — start shooting at these interlopers, the actors, armed only with SAG cards and blanks, find themselves called upon to fight back for real.

"Tropic Thunder" is so savagely and unremittingly hilarious that one hesitates to give any of it away. However, it has to be said that Downey delivers the most fearless and astonishing performance of his current career renaissance. It's been amusing to watch various media outlets attempt to whip up some kind of "blackface" controversy over Downey's performance, when it's nothing of the sort. He's playing an actor with the deluded conviction that he can not only portray a black man, but also bare a black man's soul. There's not a hint of minstrelsy in Downey's performance; it's a marvel of satirical precision directed at a specific variety of Hollywood cultural arrogance. And it's more than that, too. The scene in which the derisive Alpa Chino nails Lazarus' recitation of black-uplift homilies as nothing more than the lyrics to the "Jeffersons" theme is funny; but the one in which Lazarus quietly explains to Speedman that his "Simple Jack" character failed because he made the mistake of going "full retard" — rather than softening his character with cuteness in the manner of "Forrest Gump" — is so on-the-nose accurate, it takes your breath away. (Film scholar and critic Dave Kehr has pointed out that Downey's black GI seems to be modeled on the one played by blaxploitation icon Fred Williamson in "The Inglorious Bastards," the 1978 Italian movie that's currently on the verge of being remade by Quentin Tarantino.)

"Tropic Thunder" brings out the comic best in a number of other actors, too, among them Matthew McConaughey as Speedman's oily agent, and the wonderfully cracked Danny R. McBride as Cody, the movie's explosives expert. (The extent of his expertise is a little worrisome: "I almost blinded Jamie Lee Curtis on 'Freaky Friday,' " he admits.)

But the movie's most uproarious performance — as all but the most oblivious infants must know by now — is provided by Tom Cruise, playing a fantastically vile and abusive producer named Les Grossman. Buried under layers of latex and padding, Cruise is almost unrecognizable, and this anonymity seems to have liberated him — he dives into the character's bellowing, obscene tirades with ferocious abandon. It's a performance unlike any he's given before, and you can almost see the screen smoking after each of his foul harangues.

"Tropic Thunder" is both a parody of a big-budget action movie (Willem Dafoe's Christ-on-the-cross death spasm in "Platoon" is referenced not once, but twice) and a real one, too. So its sometimes gritty visual texture bears no relation to the tidy slickness of most contemporary comedies. (John Toll, the cinematographer, also shot "Wanted" and "The Last Samurai.") But the picture's satirical brilliance is on another level of accomplishment. Ben Stiller, who directed the film, cooked up the story with Justin Theroux, and then brought in Etan Cohen to help them write the script. That they have pulled no punches in lampooning Hollywood's self-congratulatory treatment of race and disability — not to mention gay monks, wispy mysticism and celebrity adoptions of exotically tinged foreign babies — is a wonder.

The movie is also a welcome affront to the sort of humorless PC scolds who mobilized for the movie's L.A. premiere on Tuesday — in numbers estimated by Entertainment Weekly to be "a few dozen." Maybe the tide of whiny complaint is turning. Have any of these people noticed yet that the only child in the movie is a chain-smoking, gun-wielding heroin kingpin? Or is a protest poster already at the printer's? Considering the business this picture's going to do, good luck.

pergdaddy
8/13/2008, 01:18 PM
I......CAN'T......WAIT........!!!!

This movie is going to be awesome.

I'm gonna have to talk the wife into it. Hopefully soon.

Curly Bill
8/13/2008, 01:20 PM
I......CAN'T......WAIT........!!!!

This movie is going to be awesome.

I'm gonna have to talk the wife into it. Hopefully soon.

You don't talk her into it, you just tell her the way it's gonna be. ;)

Of course I am divorced. :O

soonerinabilene
8/13/2008, 01:41 PM
I have been waiting to see this for months. As soon as I saw Downey in black make up, I thought this is going to either be the funniest or the absolute dumbest movie ever made. Definetly seeing it this weekend.

soonersn20xx
8/13/2008, 01:48 PM
Downey's ressurected career seems to be paying off, a very talented actor who appears to actually nail a stereotypical mannerisms of a black person which few white actors can do.

King Crimson
8/13/2008, 01:51 PM
i'm still having a hard time seeing the "big funny" here. the trailer isn't funny at all. if it's supposed to be some self-ironic, genre-busting lampoon that doesn't appear to be visible from the "was there a re-write?" semi-predictable one liner scene ending type nonsense that crept into (yeah, i'm going to dis it a little)....the Dark Knight. i must have predicted 3 or 4 punchlines in the DK.

Kurt Loder? what has he done that doesn't want to make me believe he's an industry shill? he used to write for RS, but since MTV news....what? i dunno.

i'm willing to proven wrong, no doubt.

pergdaddy
8/13/2008, 01:53 PM
Curly,
I already did that with The Dark Knight.

I don't want to press my luck.

And yes, Downey looks to have nailed the part in this movie and from all accounts steals the show.

He has definitely resurrected his career. He looks great in this from the little bit we have seen, he was brilliant in Iron Man, plus he's got Iron Man 2, The Avengers (most likely), Cowboys and Aliens and Sherlock Holmes coming up. He's quickly becoming the "it" actor and it's nice to see because he actually does have very good acting skills.

soonermix
8/13/2008, 02:23 PM
what do you mean, YOU people?

what do YOU mean, YOU people?

StoopTroup
8/13/2008, 03:45 PM
I'd like a spoiler on this one...but just one...

Does Matthew Mygodi'mghey get killed in it?

If so...IN. :D

Animal Mother
8/13/2008, 05:04 PM
Downey also kicked serious behind in "Zodiac". Very good movie.

Widescreen
8/13/2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds like a more overt satire of Hollywood than Bowfinger which I also liked. I really want to see this. My wife doesn't like movies with lots of bad language so it may be a challenge convincing her to go.

BigRedJed
8/13/2008, 05:30 PM
VBNVJG15tGs

bluedogok
8/13/2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a more overt satire of Hollywood than Bowfinger which I also liked. I really want to see this. My wife doesn't like movies with lots of bad language so it may be a challenge convincing her to go.
Makes me think of some other parody movies, namely Blazing Saddles where everything is mocked.

StoopTroup
8/13/2008, 09:19 PM
Iron Head...lol

sooneron
8/13/2008, 09:59 PM
I'm in, the review in RS sealed the deal for me.

Supposedly Downey's spiel about going "full retard" is gold.

Tom Cruise is even good, fwiw.

King Crimson
8/13/2008, 10:37 PM
i still believe it when i see it.

if this best we can do as "satire"...i dunno. this is the kind of satire that needs satire.

sincerely,

King Curmudgeon.

King Crimson
8/13/2008, 10:40 PM
i'm going to edit this: kinda unnecessary. apologies to all.

pergdaddy
8/14/2008, 08:27 AM
Nope, Isaac Hayes mosts important contribution to humanity was being a member of Tom Cruise's Hollywood Cult.

That and making songs that people can make sexy time to.

frankensooner
8/14/2008, 09:52 AM
It was pretty good. I'd give it a solid B+.

pergdaddy
8/14/2008, 09:57 AM
You've seen Thunder?

Lots of humor? Is it worth paying to see it in the theatre?

frankensooner
8/14/2008, 10:02 AM
Well, it isn't the second coming the critics are making it out to be, but it was pretty good. I wasn't lol'ing, but I was smiling a lot. I like seeing movies in theaters, so it was worth it to me.

SelmaBamaFan
8/15/2008, 03:03 PM
It wasnt as funny as I thought it was going to be, but it was still pretty damn funny at moments. Tom Cruise's curse word spoutings was pretty epic imo.

It did a good job of making fun of how actors are so insecure and in general pansy asses. Also the 'previews' at the beginning of the movie were pretty funny too.

frankensooner
8/15/2008, 03:05 PM
Word, Tom Cruise stole the show.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/15/2008, 03:11 PM
Word, Tom Cruise is a giant gay-bob.

Fixed.

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2008, 04:38 PM
It wasnt as funny as I thought it was going to be, but it was still pretty damn funny at moments. Tom Cruise's curse word spoutings was pretty epic imo.

It did a good job of making fun of how actors are so insecure and in general pansy asses. Also the 'previews' at the beginning of the movie were pretty funny too.

Ditto this post. Tom Cruise indeed stole the show.

The phone conversation he had with the drug cartel was the funniest thing I've seen this year.

Ok, now calm down. Now take a step back....and **** your own face!

royalfan5
8/17/2008, 04:59 PM
I caught an afternoon matinee. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Jack Black didn't even **** me off like he usually does, and Jay Baruchel is always solid.

GottaHavePride
8/17/2008, 05:02 PM
I about hurt myself laughing.

soonerscuba
8/17/2008, 07:03 PM
Y-y-y-y-ou m-m-ake m-me hap-py.

Solid flick, and definetly a DVD buy. I got the Zoolander vibe from it, not what I expected but might actually get better after a few viewings.

<I actually liked McConaughey in this one>

soonerinabilene
8/17/2008, 08:23 PM
I thought it was great. Everybody had one liners that stole the show. Downey Jr delivered one of the funniest performances I have ever seen. And Danny McBride(the demolition guy) never gets enough credit for any of his performances. I went in with high expectations, and usually when I do that I am let down because I have built it up in my head. This time, I was not let down at all. Its definitely one of those will get funnier every time you see it.

yermom
8/17/2008, 09:01 PM
other than the end, which i thought trailed on too long and was too much Tom Cruise i really liked it

Booty Sweat and Bust A Nut, that was classic

Lance Bass, lol :D

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2008, 09:58 PM
swallow the gravy!

birddog
8/18/2008, 07:43 AM
anyone seen pineapple express? i'm kind of interested in it but i don't want to waste one of my few chances to get to the cinema if there's something more worthwhile.

KC//CRIMSON
8/28/2008, 06:52 PM
"Rain Of Madness" is Free on the iTunes.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/28/rain-of-madness-tropic.jpg

Rain of Madness, a documentary parody of Apocalypse Now documentary Hearts of Darkness chronicling the making of Tropic Thunder (the fake Tropic Thunder within real Tropic Thunder, obviously) is now available for free on iTunes. Check out the trailer beforehand, good stuff.:cool:

StoopTroup
8/28/2008, 08:01 PM
All I need to know is...

Does Robert Downey Jr's character get an "In the Movie Oscar" for his performance.

It's important to me. :D

OU-HSV
8/28/2008, 08:29 PM
I talked my wife into going to see it last weekend. I thought it was funny stuff....she gave the typical "wife" comment (halfway throught the movie) by saying "this is so stupid."
But really, I'd say it wasn't as funny as I was expecting, but it still had me rolling a lot. Had me in tears of laughter twice.

picasso
9/10/2008, 05:58 PM
Ditto this post. Tom Cruise indeed stole the show.

The phone conversation he had with the drug cartel was the funniest thing I've seen this year.

Ok, now calm down. Now take a step back....and **** your own face!

meh. he had his moments but couldn't hold a candle to RDJ. that dude is one talented lad.

the movie was terrible but funny. I like those kinds at times.:D

bri
12/10/2008, 04:47 PM
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lazarus-best.jpg

pergdaddy
12/11/2008, 11:18 AM
That's freakin' awesome.

KC//CRIMSON
12/11/2008, 05:08 PM
Golden Globes - Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Tom Cruise – Tropic Thunder

Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder

Ralph Fiennes – The Duchess

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight

I'm thinking all the prehumous thespians have no chance. :D

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 09:42 PM
OK, you remember the line where Kirk Lazarus says "I don't drop character till we done the DVD commentary" ?

Well, the commentary on the DVD is Ben, Jack Black, and "Kirk Lazarus", still as the dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

****ing awesome.

Czar Soonerov
1/4/2009, 10:05 PM
DAMMIT!

Viking Kitten
1/4/2009, 10:07 PM
I wound up with the DVD for our extended family's annual Dirty Santa game. Czar and I had to go in cahoots to steal it from each other so it was "retired." In fact, I initially stole it from my drugged out niece. In your FACE, white girl. But I digress.

The movie was hilarious and I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary on. RDJ is just simply awesome.

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 11:11 PM
HAH! You pulled a badger, didn't you!

bri
1/5/2009, 12:12 AM
No, I enjoyed that post.

Rhino
1/5/2009, 01:38 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I was incredibly disappointed in this movie.

pott_2
1/5/2009, 03:13 AM
+1. It was only OK.

bri
1/5/2009, 04:43 PM

I'm not sayin' it cured cancer or anything, but I had fun.

The key with movies like that is to block out everyone proclaiming how it's the most hysterically funny masterpiece of all time and just go in expecting to be amused. Expectations are the first step towards disappointment.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't say I was disappointed..It wasn't the funniest movie ever, but I had fun..has that been said?

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2009, 04:53 PM
The key with movies like that is to block out everyone proclaiming how it's the most hysterically funny masterpiece of all time and just go in expecting to be amused. Expectations are the first step towards disappointment.

I tried that with Superbad.

Fail.

BigRedJed
1/5/2009, 07:24 PM
...Expectations are the first step towards disappointment.
By the way, this applies to pretty much every subject, not just movies. You ppl are welcome in advance.

NYC Poke
1/5/2009, 07:31 PM
You mean I shouldn't have believed that "World's Most Explosive Offense" stuff? :confused:

bri
1/6/2009, 02:22 AM
Nah, that was fine. Where you went wrong was believing all that "World's Most Dangerous Hedge Fund" stuff.

8timechamps
1/7/2009, 12:58 AM
Without RDJ, the movie would just suck.

Two best parts:

Lazarus talking to Tugg Speedman (Stiller) while talking about his character research for Simply Jack:

- "You went full retard! Everyone knows you don't go full retard"

Alpa Chino talking to Lazarus (and says the N word):

- (Lazarus grabs Alpa Chino and yanks him in close, then talks in his ear) "We've been fightin' 400 years so that people wouldn't call us that!"

I don't know what it was, because I don't really like RDJ, but he was great in this.

Also, I was laughing pretty hard when Tom Cruise showed up the first time (in the production meeting, talking about the movie being behind schedule).

8timechamps
1/7/2009, 01:00 AM
No, I enjoyed that post.

I never read them far enough to make a judgment. Not VKs post I'm talking about/

Jerk
1/7/2009, 07:20 PM
I finally saw this movie and there were several parts that made me LOL:

When the director steps on an old landmine,

"Stroke the shaft, eat the gravy,"

When the kid gets thrown off the bridge,

Tom Cruise dancing.

There sure were a lot of big name actors in this movie. Some of it was really hilarious but much of it was just kind of dumb.

bri
1/7/2009, 10:22 PM
I never read them far enough to make a judgment. Not VKs post I'm talking about/

The fact that you never read them far enough to make a judgment is telling enough. :D

KC//CRIMSON
1/11/2009, 10:23 PM
Golden Globes - Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Tom Cruise – Tropic Thunder

Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder

Ralph Fiennes – The Duchess

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight

I'm thinking all the prehumous thespians have no chance. :D

FTW! :cool:

Ace
1/12/2009, 12:37 AM
Bought Thunder for cheap at Blockbuster. Paid too much.