PDA

View Full Version : Balogun and Proctor

htownsooner7
8/13/2008, 10:05 AM
Well, it seems as though a lot of our questions have been answered. In the last week, it was "leaked" that Proctor will have the strong safety spot and now it appears as though Box is having another surgery and will be out at least a month.

Many of us have identified these last DB and LB spots as crucial in terms of defining our defense. My impression is that it will look like this as we head into the season:

SLB = K. Clayton
MLB = R. Reynolds
WLB = M. Balogun

CB = L. Holmes
CB = B. Jackson
SS = S. Proctor
FS = N. Harris.

How these units perform will answer the question of whether this can be a championship caliber defense. Other players will get their chance at these positions (Franks, Box, Lewis), but these listed guys will get the first crack at it.

Can they get it done?

BrockLanders
8/13/2008, 10:15 AM
Yes

NormanPride
8/13/2008, 10:38 AM
There is a lot of buzz around various forums about why Franks isn't starting over Jackson. It will be interesting to see how the corner jobs pan out in the future...

Sooner_09
8/13/2008, 10:56 AM
I doubt Balogun starts at WLB, it'll probably be Lewis with Box out.

soonerfan28
8/14/2008, 12:18 PM
I think that right now WLB is Balogun's to lose. Venables has already said that Balogun is one of the best 3 LB's that he has, and Lewis was running 3rd team before Box got hurt. I thought Franks beat out Jackson in the Fiesta Bowl, but maybe Jackson got much better between then and now and Holmes can play anywhere in the secondary so Franks may have to wait again to see time. However it plays out I think we will see a lot of people play on the 30th and then they will know for sure who will be the starters, so it is great to have a patsy to start with.

pappy
8/14/2008, 08:17 PM
before box got hurt I watched clips of practice and when it showed the line backers doing drills they had 4 guys out there instead of 3 clayton, reynolds, box and then BV had balogun standing a yard or 2 behind box copying him so yeah I'm gonna agree that its gonna start off clayton, reynolds, balogun. the vid for it is the 08/11 LBs Reynolds, Box and Balogun link on soonersports.

soonerfan28
8/15/2008, 11:53 AM
thanks pappy. I'll have to check that out. Have we had a backer as big as Balogun play the weakside in the Bob Stoops era? I know Lehman was big but more like 235 I thought. Will be nice to see him in that position. I just hope he can cover pretty good.

MiccoMacey
8/15/2008, 12:39 PM
What happened to JR Bryant?

pappy
8/15/2008, 08:50 PM
hey no prob soonerfan28. As for JR Bryant from what I've heard he's just gotta learn the system BV said he looked like he was dragging a trailer for most of the scrimmage b/c he was unsure of himself.

personnally I think once he gets the system down and starts playing faster and more instinctively because he's knows what he's doing then he's gonna be a beast for us.

MiccoMacey
8/15/2008, 10:15 PM
hey no prob soonerfan28. As for JR Bryant from what I've heard he's just gotta learn the system BV said he looked like he was dragging a trailer for most of the scrimmage b/c he was unsure of himself.

personnally I think once he gets the system down and starts playing faster and more instinctively because he's knows what he's doing then he's gonna be a beast for us.

Thanks for the info, pappy.

pappy
8/15/2008, 11:16 PM
no prob MiccoMacey