PDA

View Full Version : Girl I went to HS with now lives in AK

Okla-homey
8/13/2008, 05:43 AM
Lives and works as a public health nurse in some Alaskan bush village called Bethel. Somebody created a message board as part of our upcoming 30 year reunion. On it she wrote:

Lots of people assume the odds are excellent for women in Alaska, especially since the ratio is about 10-1 men to women. Well, we girls have a saying up here. The odds are good, but damn, the goods are odd!

:D

SoonerStormchaser
8/13/2008, 06:21 AM
Mike Rich begs to differ on your :D

AlbqSooner
8/13/2008, 06:28 AM
My brother lived in Bethel for two years in the mid 90s. Director of High school Special Ed for the school district. The district had 11 high schools and occupied a land area approximately the size of Ohio.

Bethel is on the Kuskokwim river not far from the Bering Sea and about 325 miles from the artic circle. A Town of about 45,000 which has 9 miles of paved roads. In the winter it has something like 650 miles of ice highways. Bush planes and snowmobiles are the primary transportation. Big event in Bethel is watching the buoy in the river to determine when the ice breaks in the spring. Oh yeah, and it is tundra. Not the forested mountainous topography most think of when they think Alaska. Subsistence fishing is the main occupation for about half the population. In the mid 90s a pizza and a pitcher would run you about $45.

Hamhock
8/13/2008, 07:52 AM
My brother lived in Bethel for two years in the mid 90s. Director of High school Special Ed for the school district. The district had 11 high schools and occupied a land area approximately the size of Ohio.

Bethel is on the Kuskokwim river not far from the Bering Sea and about 325 miles from the artic circle. A Town of about 45,000 which has 9 miles of paved roads. In the winter it has something like 650 miles of ice highways. Bush planes and snowmobiles are the primary transportation. Big event in Bethel is watching the buoy in the river to determine when the ice breaks in the spring. Oh yeah, and it is tundra. Not the forested mountainous topography most think of when they think Alaska. Subsistence fishing is the main occupation for about half the population. In the mid 90s a pizza and a pitcher would run you about $45.

boy, i can't understand why more people don't live there.

OUDoc
8/13/2008, 08:05 AM
The odds are good, but the goods are odd!

My sister-in-law lives in Alaska and says the same thing.
(Mike Rich seems to prove this. ;))
Must be something to this.

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 11:26 AM

Your brother probably knows my dad. Dad was state director of Special Ed around that time period.

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 11:27 AM
My sister-in-law lives in Alaska and says the same thing.
(Mike Rich seems to prove this. ;))
Must be something to this.

:shrug:

Not my fault you guys both know uggos who have to justify why they can't score. ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
8/13/2008, 11:34 AM
On a side note,

PIITB

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 11:35 AM
At every opportunity.

Dio
8/13/2008, 11:48 AM
If the ratio of men to women is 10:1, can it really be called a bush village?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/13/2008, 12:01 PM
Sausage party

8/13/2008, 12:10 PM
Stick fight.

Okla-homey
8/13/2008, 12:27 PM

Not my fault you guys both know uggos who have to justify why they can't score. ;)

I'll say this, Pat was a sweet girl, but she fell out of the ugly tree and got hit by every branch on the way to the ground.

OUDoc
8/13/2008, 12:41 PM

My SIL is a 6' redhead. She'd give you a run for your money. :)

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 12:42 PM
For not scoring? Unpossible.

OUDoc
8/13/2008, 12:46 PM
For not scoring? Unpossible.

I have no idea about that. I'd bet she could hurt you. Just a little. ;)

Fraggle145
8/13/2008, 01:30 PM

:hot: ;)

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 01:36 PM

Sweet. What's her number?

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 01:50 PM
As for the initial post, by the way:

Your friend moved to a town that's only accessible by barge or plane, where indoor plumbing is still very rare, and she expected a lively dating scene?

Curly Bill
8/13/2008, 01:52 PM
As for the initial post, by the way:

Your friend moved to a town that's only accessible by barge or plane, where indoor plumbing is still very rare, and she expected a lively dating scene?

Maybe she was banking on the "captive audience" theory?

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 01:55 PM
I'm sure she was.

It's always amusing to me to see C+ at best people complain about how they can't find a date when they refuse to date anyone who's not an A- or more

KC//CRIMSON
8/13/2008, 02:04 PM
Mike Rich is a stone cold frosty pimp. Holla!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/13/2008, 09:16 PM
Dr. Fleishman's not available?