PDA

View Full Version : Gresham the greatest?

soonerspudman
8/12/2008, 05:50 PM
I'm a huge Keith Jackson fan, who can forget the magic of his OB touchdowns, "The Catch", "The Reverse", he's the greatest OU TE of all time. That said, it's time to start speculating seriously on where Gresham will end up relative to this, I'm going out on a limb to say by the end of this season he'll have displaced Jackson as OU's all-time greatest TE. Yea I know, different offense, different era, that's fair, and to be sure Gresham has been a machine while Jackson is more emblimatic of "sooner magic". But the stats don't lie, Gresham is on track to blow away every other TE in OU history. I look forward to watching that happen this year.

AlbqSooner
8/12/2008, 07:45 PM
It is too early to give Gresham an honest evaluation. He may become one of the all time great Tight Ends at OU. Time will tell.

Jackson was something special. More than Sooner Magic. He was a superstar tight end on a wishbone team. Unless you have been a fan of a wishbone team, it is hard to name ANY tight end on a wishbone team. They are mostly an extra tackle in that offense.

Gresham has the potential, but it is still undecided where he ends up on the list.

Partial Qualifier
8/12/2008, 07:49 PM
this is a joke... right?

OKC-SLC
8/12/2008, 08:27 PM
this is a joke... right?

this is the only conclusion I can draw.

Jdog
8/12/2008, 08:47 PM
I'm a huge Keith Jackson fan, who can forget the magic of his OB touchdowns, "The Catch", "The Reverse", he's the greatest OU TE of all time. That said, it's time to start speculating seriously on where Gresham will end up relative to this, I'm going out on a limb to say by the end of this season he'll have displaced Jackson as OU's all-time greatest TE. Yea I know, different offense, different era, that's fair, and to be sure Gresham has been a machine while Jackson is more emblimatic of "sooner magic". But the stats don't lie, Gresham is on track to blow away every other TE in OU history. I look forward to watching that happen this year.

All a tight end has to do to be call the greatest @ OU is rush of roughly 150 yards on 3 carries in one game (preferably as a freshman), and make a dozen game clinching catches in his career (at least one for 80 yards in a national championship game).

goingoneight
8/12/2008, 08:59 PM
Don't mistake me for knocking JG... but KJ was a great pro as well. Further proving his true greatness.

JG is definitely fun to watch, and we should ALL enjoy this season, because I guarantee this will be the last we see of him provided he stays healthy. And you NEVER wish injury on someone or for their draft stock to drop... these guys futures are far more important than Sooner football.

JLEW1818
8/12/2008, 10:54 PM
I hope we get him for another year after this one.

rainiersooner
8/13/2008, 12:36 AM
It must be offseason. Is this year's field the best field we've ever had? I think if the ground crew pull together, we have a chance.

Soonerus
8/13/2008, 12:36 AM
total joke...

Leroy Lizard
8/13/2008, 02:53 AM
I think opposing defenses were far more nervous facing Keith Jackson than Gresham. Jackson was one of the best to ever play the game.

MrJimBeam
8/13/2008, 04:54 AM
Gresham has been a machine while Jackson is more emblimatic of "sooner magic".

Lost me right there.

Blitzkrieg
8/13/2008, 08:33 AM
uh, no.

It can be argued that gresham isn't the best TE in the big 12, there was absolutely no one in their right mind that could say there was a better TE in football when Kieth jackson was a sooner. Gresham could end up a consensus All American this year and still not be in Jacksons league.

That said, Gresham is a stud, and needs to put it all together this year.

SeattleOUstudent
8/13/2008, 09:31 AM
Uh yeah.....he IS from Ardmore. Hello!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/13/2008, 09:33 AM
Matt Anderson pwns all other OU TEs

badger
8/13/2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a huge Keith Jackson fan, who can forget the magic of his OB touchdowns, "The Catch", "The Reverse", he's the greatest OU TE of all time.

I was watching Green Bay on MNF a few nights ago, Favre references and all. Some new dude was wearing jersey #88 and NP says "he's got Bubba Franks' number." I was kind of like "oh." So NP asks, "Who do you think of when you see #88?" and I immediately respond "Keith Jackson. He won us a Super Bowl along with Mark Chumura, who was of course #89, but Jackson retired on his own terms after that game."

:) I am of course disappointed that more Sooners don't turn Packer, but he's one that I can always remember as No. 88.

Oh... and Gresham put the "touchdown" and "TOUCHDOWN, TIGHT END!" :D

However, I am not sure he should be considered the greatest just yet. There's been quite a few dropsies in the TE position.

Partial Qualifier
8/13/2008, 04:43 PM
Badger, don't you think Gresham could catch every ball thrown within 10 yards of him this year and STILL be unable to carry Keith Jackson's jockstrap?

I'm a huge Jermaine Gresham fan, but how can this premise be serious? I guess if you weren't around for the Keith Jackson era and only saw the three or four highlights on youtube, you wouldn't really know so I give the benefit of the doubt to my fellow Sooner fans.

The dude was a game-in, game-out freak of mythical proportions for 4 years. Two-time consensus All American and easily one of OU's top 5 most clutch athletes of all time, maybe top 3. Hell, pound-per-play he may be #1. Frankly this is an unfair comparison. It's no knock on Gresham.....Keith Jackson was just that good.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/13/2008, 04:55 PM
Gresham is awesome, but right now, I wouldn't take him over Trent Smith. Trent was clutch the last few years of his career.

Clutch.

badger
8/13/2008, 04:56 PM
Badger, don't you think Gresham could catch every ball thrown within 10 yards of him this year and STILL be unable to carry Keith Jackson's jockstrap?

I'm a huge Jermaine Gresham fan, but how can this premise be serious? I guess if you weren't around for the Keith Jackson era and only saw the three or four highlights on youtube, you wouldn't really know so I give the benefit of the doubt to my fellow Sooner fans.

The dude was a game-in, game-out freak of mythical proportions for 4 years. Two-time consensus All American and easily one of OU's top 5 most clutch athletes of all time, maybe top 3. Hell, pound-per-play he may be #1. Frankly this is an unfair comparison. It's no knock on Gresham.....Keith Jackson was just that good.

Ok, let me put it in a simpler, less wordy way:

Me = Lifelong Packer fan

Keith Jackson = two-year Packer

Keith Jackson was so good that remembering him play, I thought he was with Green Bay a lot longer than two years. I know he retired after the Super Bowl, but he had that type of legacy in that short of a time.

And yes, No. 88 is still Jackson to me, even though the big statue outside GB's Hall of Fame is No. 88 also :)

Partial Qualifier
8/13/2008, 05:13 PM
sweet :)