PDA

View Full Version : Demarcus Granger

htownsooner7
8/12/2008, 01:22 PM
The story from OU Insider said that he (as of today) won't be starting and that Shipp says he is out of shape. IMHO, the problem arises because he may be our most dominant defensive football player. Granger is a past #1 recruit at DT who is played in a lot of of big games. Also, he made big plays last year against Mizzou and Texas. He is very disruptive up front and may be a future NFLer.

On the other hand, he stole a frickin coat and got sent home before the Fiesta Bowl. And now, apparently, he isn't in great shape.

I think we need him if we are going to be a true National Championship contender. Yeah, I know we have other guys, but there is a difference between Bennett and Granger.

Someone's got to get through to him and make him an all-conference guy. I'm afraid he's going to use up all his lives with our coaching staff and the team and our defense will suffer because of it.

Thoughts?

Collier11
8/12/2008, 01:42 PM
Ive heard that he has done all that he has needed to do thus far, do you have a link?

htownsooner7
8/12/2008, 01:59 PM
Out of shape http://www.ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1703

Starting rotation http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=92&tab=ou&articleid=20080812_92_B6_ULNSPs733286

Collier11
8/12/2008, 02:20 PM
cool thanks, it may also be his punishment still but if he is out of shape that isnt good. It sounds to me like Shipp is referring to every DT in history, they all need to shed a few

Hella Sideburns
8/12/2008, 02:24 PM
with the way we rotate the d-line, it won't make a difference whether he's first or second. it might be a good thing to have someone that dominant out there when mccoy is getting a break.

OUMallen
8/12/2008, 02:35 PM
{getting into better shape} doesn't necessary equate to {out of shape}

OUMallen
8/12/2008, 02:37 PM
with the way we rotate the d-line, it won't make a difference whether he's first or second.

yup! The "starter" spots at DT hasn't meant much for OU for a while now...

TexasLidig8r
8/12/2008, 03:34 PM
Presumably there is not going to be any further disciplinary action taken. hmmmm

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 04:06 PM
Presumably there is not going to be any further disciplinary action taken. hmmmm

for what?! being fat?

htownsooner7
8/12/2008, 04:58 PM
yup! The "starter" spots at DT hasn't meant much for OU for a while now...

I understand that point but I don't recall Tommie Harris or Glen Dorsey not starting games when they were healthy. Now, don' t get me wrong, Granger is not either of these guys, but my point is that if you are dominant at defensive tackle, you start. I think he can and should be very dominant and think this team is much better when disrupts plays on a regular basis.

OU_Sooners75
8/12/2008, 05:02 PM

How many games did Benson or Williams or any of the other dope smoking whorns get suspended for?

soonermix
8/12/2008, 05:04 PM
i believe it is the philosophy of OU's coaching staff to have the best play so if it means somebody is better than granger they play if it pisses him off to make him play better so he can be thestarter then all the better.

OU_Sooners75
8/12/2008, 05:04 PM
I understand that point but I don't recall Tommie Harris or Glen Dorsey not starting games when they were healthy. Now, don' t get me wrong, Granger is not either of these guys, but my point is that if you are dominant at defensive tackle, you start. I think he can and should be very dominant and think this team is much better when disrupts plays on a regular basis.

But if you steal things and are suspended by the coach for a game or two, then do you still start?

Do we really need him in for the UTC game? No. So if he doesnt start or play, no big freaking deal.

Granger will not be out the entire season. But I do say one game suspension for stealing a coat is not enough punishment. No matter who you are.

badger
8/12/2008, 05:05 PM

Here I half expected a "coat hidden under his jersey" fat joke... hmmm... you're slipping, Lid. Are you starting to turn Sooner? :)

I'm sure fellow former athletes on here can understand the ease of slipping into out of shapeness? Demarcus made the choice to slack in the offseason apparently, so he'll pay for it in future pro prospects (which weren't incredibly sure-fire to begin with) and playing time.

soonerspudman
8/12/2008, 05:22 PM
Go back and listen to Stoop's first press conference, he explicitly states that we may notice some players missing from the lineup early in the season and that it's for disceplanary reasons, this has to include Granger. I have a very tough time believing he'd come into fall camp out of shape, I don't think that happens at OU...

htownsooner7
8/12/2008, 05:24 PM
They'll sort it all out. I simply believe that we can have one of the top 2 defensive lines in the country and one of the chief reasons is Granger. Sacks, tipped balls, qb knockdowns, and qb hurries are our defensive backs best friends.

badger
8/12/2008, 05:40 PM
I don't think that happens at OU...
*cough* Moe *cough*

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 05:43 PM
Here I half expected a "coat hidden under his jersey" fat joke... hmmm... you're slipping, Lid. Are you starting to turn Sooner? :)

I'm sure fellow former athletes on here can understand the ease of slipping into out of shapeness? Demarcus made the choice to slack in the offseason apparently, so he'll pay for it in future pro prospects (which weren't incredibly sure-fire to begin with) and playing time.

take it easy on texascourtreporter, badger.
Thesaurus.com is down and he lost his dictionary. all he can do these days is make underhanded, snide comments and pretend that all the kids who show up to the 40 acres (and a mule) are all 5 star recruits, never seen the inside of a jail and have super star nfl careers ahead of them.

aaaaand pretend he can ignore my posts.....

picasso
8/12/2008, 05:47 PM

you're kidding right? he was sent home from a BCS bowl game. not to mention what else he's probably had to do.

doosh.

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 05:51 PM
They'll sort it all out. I simply believe that we can have one of the top 2 defensive lines in the country and one of the chief reasons is Granger. Sacks, tipped balls, qb knockdowns, and qb hurries are our defensive backs best friends.

i would argue that mccoy is fair to midland....they maybe about equal but there is a reason that granger did not get SIGNIFICANT playing time until last year and mccoy made an impact immediately after redshirt. now if either of those guys turn into tommie harris, we will see the emergence of another dusty on the dline....

MojoRisen
8/12/2008, 05:57 PM
From what I have watched including the Bosie Game- Granger is better than Mccoy at this point in their careers.

badger
8/12/2008, 06:01 PM
take it easy on texascourtreporter, badger.
Thesaurus.com is down and he lost his dictionary. all he can do these days is make underhanded, snide comments and pretend that all the kids who show up to the 40 acres (and a mule) are all 5 star recruits, never seen the inside of a jail and have super star nfl careers ahead of them.

aaaaand pretend he can ignore my posts.....

I think its fair to say that starring recruits a certain number of stars has a bit of grade inflation to it in Texas. Just like Oklahoma have 4.9-something GPA's on a three-point scale, Texas recruits that would be four stars elsewhere are all of the sudden 5 based on all the recruiting anal-ysis done down south of the Red River.

It would certainly explain why despite these great recruiting classes, Texas has yet to win another Big 12 championship... or any other championship, for that matter :D

Texas recruits: Pity stars from statewide bias. :rolleyes:

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 06:02 PM
interesting because mccoy was redshirting in the boise debacle...why do you say granger is better? i mean there has to be a reason, you can't just throw out a blanket statement like that and not back it up. im seriously not trying to get into with you about it im simply asking what specifically you have seen. his first step? his rip technique? his spin? Mccoy is much more like harris in the respect that more than one lineman usually have to dedicate themself to him more times than not.....which causes the rest of the dline to shine...

MojoRisen
8/12/2008, 06:40 PM
I think he was more disruptive and made more plays - I watched every game and he had more impact.

Someone said that Granger didn't play his R Freshman year - he was actually very solid and I took notice - more than I notice Mccoy last year.

To me clearly he made more plays and impact last year when they were together. We can see what Mccoy can do this year - with another year of experience under his belt- I did notice a recent article where he admitted last year he just didn't want to mess up and expects to do more this year.

He is super hyped but Granger was more valuable last year.

TexasLidig8r
8/13/2008, 08:19 AM
I think its fair to say that starring recruits a certain number of stars has a bit of grade inflation to it in Texas. Just like Oklahoma have 4.9-something GPA's on a three-point scale, Texas recruits that would be four stars elsewhere are all of the sudden 5 based on all the recruiting anal-ysis done down south of the Red River.

:rolleyes:

If that was the case, how do you explain that OU has had higher ranked recruiting classes than Texas has in the last 7 - 8 years?

If those "stars" for Texas recruits are artificially inflated as you say, then, the talent gap between Texas and Oklahoma has been far greater than most suspect.

Of course, with Big Red no longer being part of the "equation" in Norman, should be interesting to see how future recruiting classes go... at least until the next car dealership opens.

TexasLidig8r
8/13/2008, 08:25 AM
How many games did Benson or Williams or any of the other dope smoking whorns get suspended for?

When Melton and Kindle were busted for DUI last summer, they were suspended for the first 3 games.

How many will Loadholt get suspended for.. if any? Or will Stoops pull a Brandon Everage on him too? We know the bar at OU for dope smokers is one series.

Care to educate us as to what crimes Williams was charged with while playing at UT? We can wait. Go ahead and do your research.

Certainly, neither Benson nor Williams attempted to steal a coat from a two bit store while out of town preparing for a bowl game, get arrested, then failed to make a mandatory court appearance resulting in a warrant being issued for them.

But... you need him so I would be absolutely shocked if Stoops did anything further.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/13/2008, 08:31 AM
bait hook and reel in:D

SoonerinSouthlake
8/13/2008, 08:32 AM
When Melton and Kindle were busted for DUI last summer, they were suspended for the first 3 games.

How many will Loadholt get suspended for.. if any? Or will Stoops pull a Brandon Everage on him too? We know the bar at OU for dope smokers is one series.

Care to educate us as to what crimes Williams was charged with while playing at UT? We can wait. Go ahead and do your research.

Certainly, neither Benson nor Williams attempted to steal a coat from a two bit store while out of town preparing for a bowl game, get arrested, then failed to make a mandatory court appearance resulting in a warrant being issued for them.

But... you need him so I would be absolutely shocked if Stoops did anything further.

Lid...
My memory might be a BIT fuzzy...but didnt Ced Benson get caught breaking/entering and trying to steal a bunch of electronics from an apartment?

swardboy
8/13/2008, 08:40 AM

William's self-pronounced love of weed is not debatable, and if you think the dread-locked rastafarian got into it post-UT I want some of what you're smokin'....He's either VERRRY lucky not to get charged with it in Austin, or....

As for Granger, yeah, he was only suspended for one game...A BCS BOWL GAME! We know you horns have only been there a couple of times in recent history, but act like it's kinda sorta important to you.:D

Collier11
8/13/2008, 09:19 AM
If that was the case, how do you explain that OU has had higher ranked recruiting classes than Texas has in the last 7 - 8 years?

If those "stars" for Texas recruits are artificially inflated as you say, then, the talent gap between Texas and Oklahoma has been far greater than most suspect.

Of course, with Big Red no longer being part of the "equation" in Norman, should be interesting to see how future recruiting classes go... at least until the next car dealership opens.

it has been proven that starts automatically go up or down based on the player playing for ut, ND, or usuc...just sayin

TexasLidig8r
8/13/2008, 09:28 AM
William's self-pronounced love of weed is not debatable, and if you think the dread-locked rastafarian got into it post-UT I want some of what you're smokin'....He's either VERRRY lucky not to get charged with it in Austin, or....

As for Granger, yeah, he was only suspended for one game...A BCS BOWL GAME! We know you horns have only been there a couple of times in recent history, but act like it's kinda sorta important to you.:D

Smoking was not the issue... being charged for a crime is the issue with a subsequent, resulting suspension.

As for BCS bowls... when we go, at least we have the decency to win them! ;)

Collier11
8/13/2008, 09:40 AM
Smoking was not the issue... being charged for a crime is the issue with a subsequent, resulting suspension.

As for BCS bowls... when we go, at least we have the decency to win them! ;)

we just go soooo much that we get bored with it...I mean really, how many times can you visit Glendale, Miami, New Orleans, and Pasadena before you are sick of it? Of course, you guys should be plenty tired of San Diego! ;)

Leroy Lizard
8/13/2008, 04:40 PM

Far be it for me to defend Granger (I am probably his nastiest critic here, even more than most Horn fans), but what he did pales in comparison to breaking into an apartment. Granger didn't do anything dangerous; Benson could have had his blown off and the killing would have been justified. And at least Granger was smart enough to realize his act was illegal. With Benson, I am not so sure.

Stealing is wrong, but breaking into people's private homes is even more wronger. In fact, it may be one of the wrongiest things a person can do.