PDA

View Full Version : alan patrick

rondog79
8/12/2008, 11:03 AM
has anyone heard anything about him in the preseason?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/12/2008, 11:11 AM
little...I posted about it in the former Sooners NFL thread....couple of carries in the first pre season game

JLEW1818
8/12/2008, 11:18 AM
Think he will make the team?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/12/2008, 11:24 AM
If he is going to make the roster its gonna have to be as a ST guy....otherwise looks like a practice squad guy

badger
8/12/2008, 11:41 AM
As a draft pick, admittedly a LATE LATE draft pick, but still a draft pick, he will probably get the nod for special teams (or at least practice squad) over late pickups.

“We love Oklahoma players... He’s big, fast, a great special teams player, catches the ball well, and he’s tough.”

Patrick has an additional edge in that he has OU teammates (as I will mention yet again, Ravens have the most OU alumni players, so please stop cheering for the Vikings or Bears... or just cheer for the Packers). They'll be his ally on cutting day.

AP has been a monster special teammer for us before taking over for collarboneless AD midseason a few seasons back. Thus, that is probably his place on the Ravens. Much better than injured reserve or on the waived list, by all means.

For the negative nancy's out there... I'm going to post this before you do:

23 // W McGahee
34 // C Ross
30 // P Daniels
39 // R Rice
38 // A Patrick
So, in other words special teams will be AP's special place :D

JLEW1818
8/12/2008, 11:43 AM
How much does a practice squad player make??

badger
8/12/2008, 11:45 AM
How much does a practice squad player make??

It is an NFL tradition to pay all practice squad members (with limited, LIMITED exceptions) the minimum. NFL teams do this as a courtesy to each other. No need to get into bidding wars and drive up prices on practice players, right?

Each NFL team may keep up to eight members on their "practice squad" in addition to their 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons. Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week; however they are not allowed to play in actual games. They can be paid considerably less than active squad players: the minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 is $5,200 per week (2008-2010)[1] for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $285,000. (Some practice squad players are paid considerably more, however: in 2006, the New England Patriots paid third-year player Billy Yates the full $425,000 he would have earned on the active roster.)[2]They are also ineligible for many fringe benefits such as service time, pensions, and the like. They hope to be promoted to the active roster either by their current team, or by another team who is scouting them. They retain free agent status and may sign with any team they wish without compensation to the original team.

Of course, practice squad status is no guarantee of a secure job - the regular roster is much more secure. After all PT only lasted a few months, unfortunately, with the Packers practice squad.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/12/2008, 12:13 PM
It is an NFL tradition to pay all practice squad members (with limited, LIMITED exceptions) the minimum. NFL teams do this as a courtesy to each other. No need to get into bidding wars and drive up prices on practice players, right?

Of course, practice squad status is no guarantee of a secure job - the regular roster is much more secure. After all PT only lasted a few months, unfortunately, with the Packers practice squad.

Oh, how'd you like to get your *** handed to you day after day for $88,000 a year?

AZSOONER
8/12/2008, 12:38 PM
Oh, how'd you like to get your *** handed to you day after day for $88,000 a year?

Not a year, 17 weeks, and I would love it:)

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 01:19 PM
Ravens have the most OU alumni players, so please stop cheering for the Vikings or Bears... or just cheer for the Packers).

fat chance

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 01:19 PM
Not a year, 17 weeks, and I would love it:)

yeh. where do i sign?

cvsooner
8/12/2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry, this has been driving me nuts: it's Allen Patrick.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/12/2008, 04:29 PM

Well, according to Bob Barry Sr. its Patrick Allen. So who knows??? :rolleyes:

badger
8/12/2008, 04:39 PM

Add his name to the misspelled Sooner list. It's ever-expanding!

The list began with kicker You Van-Shoeman.

cvsooner
8/12/2008, 04:39 PM
Well, you got me there. Barry Bob has a problem with people with two first names. Hey, do you suppose Bob Barry's nickname is Bud?

Just think about that one for a minute....

soonermix
8/12/2008, 05:11 PM

better than workin for a livin

StoopTroup
8/12/2008, 05:27 PM
better than workin for a livin

No it's not.

All of you who are saying that probably wouldn't last through the OU Season on Practice Squad for $88,000.00...that is...if we could actually pay you that is.

Your meat if your NFL Practice Squad.

You'd probably be better off playing in Europe.

Jello Biafra
8/12/2008, 05:37 PM
No it's not.

All of you who are saying that probably wouldn't last through the OU Season on Practice Squad .

at 39, probably not.... i would still love a shot at knocking off a helmet or two. if you have the mentality, you can do it. you'll never know how bad you miss the game until the day you realize you'll never strap the gear on again. :(

goingoneight
8/12/2008, 09:07 PM
at 39, probably not.... i would still love a shot at knocking off a helmet or two. if you have the mentality, you can do it. you'll never know how bad you miss the game until the day you realize you'll never strap the gear on again. :(

That was beautiful, Mr. Favre. :D

bluedogok
8/12/2008, 09:25 PM
You'd probably be better off playing in Europe.
NFL-Europe closed up shop after the last season. I don't think there are are many club leagues over there paying the Practice Squad minimum like there is in the European basketball leagues. Your only other option now is the Arena League and that doesn't pay well for most players.

goingoneight
8/12/2008, 09:32 PM
You have to be a damn good receiver to play Arena Ball, though. There's virtually no use for I-backs in Arena ball. It's like Texas Tech on steroids. They borrow their biggest lineman in "running downs" and use him as a fullback a lot. AP's a warrior, but he's not a big receiver.

AZSOONER
8/13/2008, 11:54 AM

Then you have boys and live through them. Right or wrong, it's still a blast. :)

Hot Rod
8/13/2008, 01:02 PM
Did anyone else see him play last night? He had two carries from what I saw for about 15 yards.