PDA

View Full Version : How good is Ryan Broyles?

MojoRisen
8/12/2008, 09:06 AM
I have been reading rave reviews from Rivals and Practice reports. Coach stoops compared him to Mark Clayton as he has sick moves and YAC potential. Recently I have been hearing words like electrying and DEEP Threat...

Anybody had a chance to see him play, and if so is he that good? What can we expect this year?

badger
8/12/2008, 01:41 PM
I have been reading rave reviews from Rivals and Practice reports. Coach stoops compared him to Mark Clayton as he has sick moves and RAC potential. Recently I have been hearing words like electrying and DEEP Threat...

Anybody had a chance to see him play, and if so is he that good? What can we expect this year?

He is good enough that if he didn't steal gas last year, he would have seen the field and not redshirted, even with all the talent we had at that position.

Hella Sideburns
8/12/2008, 02:13 PM
good enough to out-iglesias iglesias

adoniijahsooner
8/12/2008, 02:18 PM

That is pretty exciting!

FroggyStyle22
8/12/2008, 03:05 PM

You mean he can fumble twice per play?

Seriously though, really excited to see Broyles play this year.

goingoneight
8/12/2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah... he also led the team in receptions the last two years and has been a stud special teamer since the day he arrived.

Damn that "Julio." :rolleyes:

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/12/2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah... he also led the team in receptions the last two years and has been a stud special teamer since the day he arrived.

Damn that "Julio." :rolleyes:

Stud special teamer? I guess I missed that game. I would have led the team in receptions, too, had I had MK on the other side. I say over-rated. We will see how he does as the "go-to guy" this year. And yes, I know his real name is Juaquin.

Charla
8/12/2008, 07:32 PM
can't blame a guy for stealing gas.

goingoneight
8/12/2008, 08:48 PM
Stud special teamer? I guess I missed that game. I would have led the team in receptions, too, had I had MK on the other side. I say over-rated. We will see how he does as the "go-to guy" this year. And yes, I know his real name is Juaquin.

I'm sure Manuel Johnson, Adron Tennell and everyone else who is miles better than you can ever dream of being says the same thing, but I see Juaqin as a great player.

Stud special teamer = 1 of two guys to lead the nation in kickoff returns and continue stride even when Murray is out.

You = fail.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2008, 10:22 PM
Man, Julio sucks. When he wasn't fumbling every other play, he was letting passes slip right through his fingers (see vs. Colorado, 2007). We would have won that damn game had he caught 3 passes that he let slip right through his fingers (one was intercepted).

tsk, tsk...

sooneron
8/12/2008, 10:36 PM
This guy hasn't been flushed yet?

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2008, 11:59 PM
Hell, man, I can't see EVERYthing....

Soonerus
8/13/2008, 12:01 AM
He'll be good not great...

Blue
8/13/2008, 12:25 AM
How do you know.............................?

What I mean is..................why do you think that...........?

Soonerus
8/13/2008, 12:31 AM
How do you know.............................?

What I mean is..................why do you think that...........?

personal observation, but I have definitely been wrong before judging talent...

Blue
8/13/2008, 12:43 AM
I say he'll win a few belitneys.

Fraggle145
8/13/2008, 01:29 AM
personal observation, but I have definitely been wrong before judging talent...

Heh. Understatement of the century ;)

Jacie
8/13/2008, 06:21 AM
He'll be good not great...

So long as he can catch the ball and HOLD ON TO IT!

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 10:49 AM
I'm sure Manuel Johnson, Adron Tennell and everyone else who is miles better than you can ever dream of being says the same thing, but I see Juaqin as a great player.

Stud special teamer = 1 of two guys to lead the nation in kickoff returns and continue stride even when Murray is out.

You = fail.

Dang, man I know I am new to the board and everything....but if you want to call me out and talk trash about me...let me know. I can play that game too, although I didn't think that was what this board was about. If you don't like my opinion, don't read it or disagree. And yes, I do hope that Manny and Pooh Tennell are better than me, because if not, our beloved Sooners are in real trouble.

badger
8/13/2008, 10:59 AM

You = fail.

Eight brings up a good point - don't hate the playa, especially the playa on your own d@mn team, man. If ya gotta hate, there's plenty of players on other teams.

Dang, man I know I am new to the board and everything....but if you want to call me out and talk trash about me...let me know. I can play that game too, although I didn't think that was what this board was about. If you don't like my opinion, don't read it or disagree. And yes, I do hope that Manny and Pooh Tennell are better than me, because if not, our beloved Sooners are in real trouble.
The way the board rolls is we have fun and we poke at eachother, but don't lose sight of the fact the University of Oklahoma is OUr team and these are OUr players, so please check the criticism at the door... or at least until the season starts and there's a valid reason to knock our own guys. Harsh player knockery is especially uncalled for.

Welcome to SF.com :) Please play nicely.

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 11:03 AM
Eight brings up a good point - don't hate the playa, especially the playa on your own d@mn team, man. If ya gotta hate, there's plenty of players on other teams.

The way the board rolls is we have fun and we poke at eachother, but don't lose sight of the fact the University of Oklahoma is OUr team and these are OUr players, so please check the criticism at the door... or at least until the season starts and there's a valid reason to knock our own guys. Harsh player knockery is especially uncalled for.

Welcome to SF.com :) Please play nicely.

Well said, and I see your point. Sorry, don't get me wrong....not hatin' on the playa, just very frustrated with him last year. Seems like he wasn't clutch when we needed it the most. Oh, well, on the road to #8! Thanks for the etiquette info. Sorry guys, it is my first board. Thanks again and glad to be here.

badger
8/13/2008, 11:07 AM
Well said, and I see your point. Sorry, don't get me wrong....not hatin' on the playa, just very frustrated with him last year. Seems like he wasn't clutch when we needed it the most. Oh, well, on the road to #8! Thanks for the etiquette info. Sorry guys, it is my first board. Thanks again and glad to be here.

It's ok, last year was frustrating for all of us, and I'm sure it was even more frustrating for talented players like Juaquin for dropping said passes and not making the plays he's capable of. But, we'll give him a second chance because he's a good kid and he works hard :)

You'll make it here, don't worry - just don't bait other posters and leave the ranty Sooner bashing to the aggies.

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 11:07 AM
man, oh man! just saw my infraction that i received for criticizing current players......oops! sorry guys...it won't happen again.....This is my first board, and I obviously don't know all of the proper etiquette....But I am a loyal Sooner through and through.

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 11:10 AM
It's ok, last year was frustrating for all of us, and I'm sure it was even more frustrating for talented players like Juaquin for dropping said passes and not making the plays he's capable of. But, we'll give him a second chance because he's a good kid and he works hard :)

You'll make it here, don't worry - just don't bait other posters and leave the ranty Sooner bashing to the aggies.

well said, and thanks for the help

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 11:22 AM
To clarify-

Criticizing current players is fine. Bashing current players is not.

Where you mainly crossed the line was the word "sucks."

Tulsa_Fireman
8/13/2008, 11:31 AM
Vince Young "socks" schwetty ballz.

Is that okay? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/13/2008, 11:33 AM
Sorry Fireman, the correct word is "slurps"..."slurps"..

badger
8/13/2008, 11:35 AM

:les: VINCE YOUNG SUCKS![hairGel]

NOT baned! Yay! As you can see, there is no problem with TEXAS SUCKS, MIZZOU SUCKS, MACK BROWN SUCKS, CHARLIE WEIS SUCKS, NOTRE DAME REALLY REALLY SUCKS... or bashing any of their players... which include Vince Young, Ricky Williams, Chrissy Simms, Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel, Jimmy Clausen... they all suck :)

It's just Sooner bashing that sucks... which I remind you, is a very aggie thing to do. :P

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 11:43 AM

You can even say he sucks.

TexasLidig8r
8/13/2008, 11:56 AM
So.. is saying that Broyles orally inhales with great force and furious anger acceptable?

:D

Although, I guess at this point, it is all premature... kind of like saying your prom date has the potential to be part pron queen.. until you know for sure.. you don't know.

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 12:35 PM
To clarify-

Criticizing current players is fine. Bashing current players is not.

Where you mainly crossed the line was the word "sucks."

Thanks for clarifying.

MojoRisen
8/13/2008, 04:45 PM
From what I am hearing Broyles may split wide too- as a deep threat.

When stoops says words like he is the first guy since Clayton with these moves - I am pretty sure that means more explosive than Juaquin -

Jauqin is awsome .....

Partial Qualifier
8/13/2008, 05:09 PM
Dang 7x, I tried to help your spek level because I feel you're honest about being sorry, but you musta got negged to oblivion cause my 3 or 4 speks had zero effect.

I think Juaquin's a good WR and I love him because he's a Sooner but I don't like seeing a WR act cocky & surly towards the other team, especially when the other team is kicking our *** and the surly guy is fumbling footballs. To his credit, Juaquin usually makes up for it.

Admittedly, I still compare all our WR's to Mark Clayton and that's not fair.

:O

colleyvillesooner
8/13/2008, 05:14 PM
heh, just one from me to turn him all the way green. :D

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/13/2008, 06:23 PM
Dang 7x, I tried to help your spek level because I feel you're honest about being sorry, but you musta got negged to oblivion cause my 3 or 4 speks had zero effect.

I think Juaquin's a good WR and I love him because he's a Sooner but I don't like seeing a WR act cocky & surly towards the other team, especially when the other team is kicking our *** and the surly guy is fumbling footballs. To his credit, Juaquin usually makes up for it.

Admittedly, I still compare all our WR's to Mark Clayton and that's not fair.

:O

Ahhhh.......Comparing anyone to Mark Clayton is just plain unfair..........I still tear an ACL everytime I watch the 2003 Texas game (those YAC were just sick).... Anyway thanks for being patient with me and "breaking me in" Can't wait till season starts........

QUICK QUESTION-I didn't see the proper thread, but here goes: I currently have two season tix in sec. 9, row 5. These are great seats, but I will most likely be bringing either my son or daughter, and I am worrying about them seeing the action when it is down at the other end. Should I worry about buying some in sec. 108 (where i know their 4/5 yr old eyes can see the action)? pls let me know what you guys think (or refer me to a proper thread). Thanks

Piware
8/13/2008, 09:32 PM
Good grief son! Have you see the size of the new Jumbotron? I think they can see it in Edmond so the little Sooners shouldn't miss a thing. :P Just show them where to look before the kickoff.

Besides, I always record the games in case I miss something "live and personal" and watch them again on Sunday night. Sick, I know but I just can't help it.

okcusooner
8/14/2008, 08:58 PM

Disagree. He had an incredibly clutch catch in the 4th quarter of last year's Colorado game. Unfortunately, the catch was unjustifiably overturned.

goingoneight
8/14/2008, 09:07 PM
... and a critical 2-point coversion catch against Boise Tech.
... and a critical touchdown catch against aggy in Stoolwater in 2006.
... and a great game-winnar catch in OT against Beller in 2005. Bad Rhomar throw as well.
... Yeah... this guy's been pretty good in recent years.

While I agree that he's not going to be a primary guy, he's not "overrated." Overrated is being pre-season All-American, supposedly the best WR in the nation, and not getting even All-conference or drafted. He's not a guy who can beat doubles and triples and make circus catch after circus catch after circus catch, but he'll again be solid.

badger
8/15/2008, 11:06 AM
Ok, there was an article on this a few days ago... let me find it...

HERE (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080814_92_B1_Ouqige90229) you go :D

TexasLidig8r
8/15/2008, 12:16 PM
He does appear to be all gassed up and ready to have a good year. ;)

goingoneight
8/16/2008, 12:14 AM

Least he's not been locked up.

Ooooh... face. :D

KingDavid
8/16/2008, 01:32 AM
Sorry Fireman, the correct word is "slurps"..."slurps"..

schlerps, in fact. It actually goes like this:

"Vince Young schlerps <insert whorn's name>'s schwetty balls.

Be sure to choose a whorn that actually has balls, though, or else you'll look a bit silly.

KingDavid
8/16/2008, 01:36 AM

heh.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2008, 01:45 AM
that was pretty good.

sOUnder
8/16/2008, 02:10 AM

But...is he pumped?

:D

MALE918
8/17/2008, 01:22 AM
Besides, I always record the games in case I miss something "live and personal" and watch them again on Sunday night. Sick, I know but I just can't help it.

That's not sick, keep that fandom goin':cool:

soonerfanlv
8/17/2008, 11:44 AM
Ok, there was an article on this a few days ago... let me find it...

HERE (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080814_92_B1_Ouqige90229) you go :D

Nice article. I especially liked this part;

"I just try to help the team out as much as possible," he says. "Special teams is what gets you on the field. That's one of the best parts of the game to me, returning kicks and stuff like that and then running down on punt and trying to make a tackle. I just try to do what coaches tell me and go out there and try to give 100 percent."

If only some others had this similar attitude.