PDA

View Full Version : The "Saving Grace" Clip of Barry Switzer

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2008, 05:10 PM
Switzer back on screen with appearance in 'Saving Grace'

Barry Switzer is no stranger to Hollywood. His credit list is getting long. Switzer has played himself or a quite-the-character coach on "Arli$$” and "Coach” for the small screen and "Any Given Sunday,” "Varsity Blues” and "Possums” for the silver screen.

And now he's back. Switzer will play himself on the Aug. 11 episode of "Saving Grace,” the TNT drama that is set in Oklahoma City and stars Holly Hunter as a troubled police detective who is counseled by an angel.

"It's over the top,” Switzer said. "Holly Hunter's pretty sexy. A rogue. It's about saving a girl that's lost.”

Switzer obviously knows more about the premise than I do. I haven't seen "Saving Grace,” beyond a couple of clips.

Some like the show from an OKC perspective; it's cool to see Oklahoma City cop cars and catch the decidedly Oklahoma names of characters. Hanadarko. Stillwater. Dewey. Ada. Perry.

Others, not so excited. The media critics at thelostogle.com, for instance, decry the appearance of a palm tree in the foreground of a kiosk selling Sooner gear.

The show's creator and executive producer, Nancy Miller, grew up in Oklahoma City and is a big OU fan. When "Saving Grace” was first being filmed, Switzer hosted both Miller and Hunter in his home and took them to a Sooner game.

"They try to promote the Oklahoma Sooners on the show, I know that,” Switzer said.

In the Aug. 11 episode, Switzer is called in for questioning because he once owned the Porsche now driven by Hunter's character, Grace Hanadarko, and trouble is brewing.

Television is nothing new for Switzer, who appeared on three episodes of "Coach” with fellow ex-coaches Hank Stram and George Allen.

"I had so much fun with those guys,” Switzer said. "None of us knew what the hell we were doing. I enjoyed that.

"This was different. I spent five hours doing a one- or two-minute scene. They probably could do it cheaper. But I enjoyed it.”

Clip: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/08/saving-grace-clip-of-barry-switzer-that.html

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2008, 05:14 PM
That RAWK'D

King Crimson
8/11/2008, 05:22 PM
Hanadarko?

r5TPsooner
8/11/2008, 05:25 PM
****ing sweet, Thanks

SoonerInKCMO
8/11/2008, 05:28 PM
Deer lord that show sucks. Sorry, Barry. :(

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 05:39 PM
I like how he put his ball in her hands.

He truely is The King. :D

colleyvillesooner
8/11/2008, 05:49 PM
Awesome

OULenexaman
8/11/2008, 09:21 PM
Grace ANADARKO......for the record....on right now.

tulsaoilerfan
8/11/2008, 10:06 PM
Think the King hit it? :)

Jimminy Crimson
8/12/2008, 02:30 AM
Grace ANADARKO......for the record....on right now.

Her character actually has an H before Anadarko. There was apparently some legal issue with the name Grace Anadarko, which is why they made the change.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830900/

olevetonahill
8/12/2008, 02:58 AM
I liked How he Flipped that :texan: ball Of that cops desk :cool:

BigRedJed
8/12/2008, 04:48 AM
I haven't seen any episodes this season, but was hopeful that it was going to improve in its depiction of OKC and Oklahoma this season. The Oklahoma Film and Music Office hosted the cast and writers last fall and took them on a whirlwhind tour of OKC. It was a great weekend for them to be here, too. They got to see a huge regatta on the river, OU homecoming, Oklahoma Centennial parade, The Girlie Show (http://www.thegirlieshow.net/), Art on Tap at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, and several other great events.

I got to meet with them briefly myself, and I think they were to a person extremely impressed with OKC. I think part of the problem is that Nancy Miller hasn't lived in OKC for something like 30 years, and her memory of OKC doesn't jibe with current day reality. She seemed extremely committed to letting the real OKC show through this season.

Unfortunately, the Film and Music office wasn't able to fundraise the several million they were hoping for to bring substantial filiming here this season. A lot of the people they were asking for money couldn't get past the stereotyping in the show, among other things, and had no interest in funding more of it. Next they tried to scale back the funding requests and settle for a bit less filming, but still with the stars here. No dice on that, either.

So they settled for some background shooting, which would allow the actors to shoot on a sound stage and have a green screen behind them with OKC scenes showing up. They did that a couple of months ago.

If the show sees another season, hopefully a way will emerge for them to do some filming in OKC in the future.

Okla-homey
8/12/2008, 05:36 AM
I haven't seen any episodes this season, but was hopeful that it was going to improve in its depiction of OKC and Oklahoma this season. The Oklahoma Film and Music Office hosted the cast and writers last fall and took them on a whirlwhind tour of OKC. It was a great weekend for them to be here, too. They got to see a huge regatta on the river, OU homecoming, Oklahoma Centennial parade, The Girlie Show (http://www.thegirlieshow.net/), Art on Tap at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, and several other great events.

I got to meet with them briefly myself, and I think they were to a person extremely impressed with OKC. I think part of the problem is that Nancy Miller hasn't lived in OKC for something like 30 years, and her memory of OKC doesn't jibe with current day reality. She seemed extremely committed to letting the real OKC show through this season.

Unfortunately, the Film and Music office wasn't able to fundraise the several million they were hoping for to bring substantial filiming here this season. A lot of the people they were asking for money couldn't get past the stereotyping in the show, among other things, and had no interest in funding more of it. Next they tried to scale back the funding requests and settle for a bit less filming, but still with the stars here. No dice on that, either.

So they settled for some background shooting, which would allow the actors to shoot on a sound stage and have a green screen behind them with OKC scenes showing up. They did that a couple of months ago.

If the show sees another season, hopefully a way will emerge for them to do some filming in OKC in the future.

Maybe if they stopped spending money on billboards advertising the Oklahoma Lighter Museum, they would have more financial wherewithall to fund their efforts in this area.;)

BigRedJed
8/12/2008, 05:44 AM
:les: BOOO!!

MrJimBeam
8/12/2008, 06:19 AM
"WHERE'S GUNDY'S SCENE!!1!11!"[hairGel]

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/12/2008, 06:50 AM
I really like this show. It's a little hokey and far fetched at times, but it's kind of fun to see them eating a Johnnie's hamburger or talking about going to meet a suspect at 23rd and May.

olevetonahill
8/12/2008, 07:21 AM
1st time I watched , Saw the King and heard a Lot Of Boomer Sooners
Its a great show as far as Im concerned :cool: