PDA

View Full Version : Medal count: Home cooking or . . .

Jacie
8/11/2008, 06:11 AM
. . . have the Chinese had the benefit of getting the events they are the best in early?

Total medals as of Sunday:

USA 12

China 12

Scott D
8/11/2008, 06:36 AM
well to be fair, outside of swimming the US's best events are usually in Track and Field. So yes, it's been more events that China is strong in early. Gymnastics might be the one area where the final results are sketchy.

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2008, 07:28 AM
Gymnastics might be the one area where the final results are sketchy.

The scores already have been a little sketchy.

Boxing could be too if they have anybody good enough to make it to the medal rounds.

soonersn20xx
8/11/2008, 07:34 AM
China pulls ahead 13-12.

CatfishSooner
8/11/2008, 04:19 PM
well to be fair, outside of swimming the US's best events are usually in Track and Field. So yes, it's been more events that China is strong in early. Gymnastics might be the one area where the final results are sketchy.

That old gymnastics coach who talks w/ bob costas said the fix was in for China in women's gymnastics...which seems like is likely after seeing some of the BS scores they gave our girls yesterday...

Scott D
8/11/2008, 05:50 PM
That old gymnastics coach who talks w/ bob costas said the fix was in for China in women's gymnastics...which seems like is likely after seeing some of the BS scores they gave our girls yesterday...

well to be fair, 3 of the 4 girls on the floor routine landed outside the lines. They were kinda screwed at that point since one of the other two girls managed to injure her ankle in warmups.

to me gymnastics are like figure skating, and the way they are decided is the most hypocritical way to manage any sporting event. Therefore, they are not worth watching, despite the impressive physical feats they can accomplish. It's like a chick's version of pro wrestling.

Ton Loc
8/11/2008, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't call it an out and out fix
until I watched the men's sync diving (i'm questioning myself for that one)
Holy :eek: , those Chinese guys were OK, but their last dives were weak and yet they got nine's from all the Asian countries. I feel sorry for all the USA people who compete in "sports" that are determined by judges.

RacerX
8/12/2008, 07:06 AM
The hosting country always has more medals than is typical for them.

badger
8/12/2008, 08:47 AM
I watched gymnastics last night (OU's Horton wins bronze! w00t!) and it seemed like China was getting higher scores for doing the exact same thing.

Before you OMG H0M3 C00K1NG!!!1! on this, remember that ratings are sometimes also based on reputation. It isn't that China is getting home cooked scores, it's that they've been good in recent years (pretty much ever since their start in 84) and other teams haven't had that consistency... of course, China was nowhere near consistent in 04, but still...

Fugue
8/12/2008, 10:33 AM
I vote home cooking.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/12/2008, 11:54 AM
I don't ever remember seeing syncronised diving before. Was that added just to pump up the Chinese medal count? Either that or they wanted to improve the ratings in San Francisco.

Fugue
8/12/2008, 12:36 PM
The dudes did seem feminine. They could have chosen to do some synchronized cannonballs but the went with flipsss and swirlsss instead. :texan:

badger
8/12/2008, 02:18 PM
I don't ever remember seeing syncronised diving before. Was that added just to pump up the Chinese medal count? Either that or they wanted to improve the ratings in San Francisco.

I am pretty sure it started in 2004. I really like the event and it takes a lot of precision - which makes it perfect for the Chinese, heh.

It's not like events haven't catered to the US, though. I mean, the U.S. used to sweep the swimming medals until they said "no more than two" in each swimming event. You can only have one team in synchronized diving, so there really isn't that much catering involved.

Just wait until track and field starts - you're going to see the U.S. medal tally skyrocket.

Scott D
8/12/2008, 07:35 PM
I watched gymnastics last night (OU's Horton wins bronze! w00t!) and it seemed like China was getting higher scores for doing the exact same thing.

Before you OMG H0M3 C00K1NG!!!1! on this, remember that ratings are sometimes also based on reputation. It isn't that China is getting home cooked scores, it's that they've been good in recent years (pretty much ever since their start in 84) and other teams haven't had that consistency... of course, China was nowhere near consistent in 04, but still...

If you use the reputation argument, you have to conclude that the US reputation took a huge shot when both Hamm brothers pulled out because of injuries.

SoonerDood
8/12/2008, 11:04 PM
I vote fix is in.

SoonerStormchaser
8/12/2008, 11:08 PM
Definitely home cooking...galdamn chinese!

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
8/12/2008, 11:11 PM
Hence the reason I like timed events better, there is no human factor (judging) involved, just a pure athelete competing at their best. Watching the gym stuff is fun to watch but after the numerous balance chcks on the beam in the team finals by the chinese and watching S Johnson's almost perfect routine and her score deosnt blow away all the others I say it's still fixed, and probaly always will be. My 2 cents.................

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2008, 11:12 PM
Home team usually gets a medal boost, plus tjey have a country wide program that had been targeting more of the multiple medal sports instead of singular events.

Scott D
8/13/2008, 07:01 AM
dammit it's because gymnastics and figure skating are a chick's version of pro wrasslin!

DrZaius
8/13/2008, 08:07 PM
So when the girls and guys gymnasts get there medals, Does that count as 1 medal in the overall count or 7? I was curious about that. ooooh, beach buttcrack is on right now.....gotta rub, i mean go.

Jacie
8/14/2008, 06:08 AM
Home team usually gets a medal boost.

Didn't help the Canadians at Calgary . . .

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
8/14/2008, 06:27 PM
So when the girls and guys gymnasts get there medals, Does that count as 1 medal in the overall count or 7? I was curious about that. ooooh, beach buttcrack is on right now.....gotta rub, i mean go.

It only counts as 1 would be my guess, if not when we win the Gold in Basketball we will get 10-11? Pretty sure its only 1 as Phelps has won two golds in team events which would equal 8 + the other 3 he has won would be 11 and I think we only have 13 total so far(golds), in the end we will have more, as the US is VERY dominant in Track

BigRedJed
8/14/2008, 07:20 PM
If it does not involve crossing a line ahead of your opponent, throwing something further, putting a ball in a net, or some other MEASURABLE and objective activity, it is not a sport. Not to diminish the athleticism required to compete in events like gymnastics, or figure skating, or whatever. Those people are still amazing athletes. But if the way you win is by having the highest score awarded to you by judges, it is not sport. It is athletic exhibition.

I'll give boxing a pass as far as being sport, despite how dirty we all know it is, because the real object is to knock the other guy the **** out. TKOs and point scoring exist mainly to control the length of matches and to limit the number of people who die in the ring.

tulsaoilerfan
8/14/2008, 08:29 PM
I think it's pretty obvious there is something underhanded going on with the Chinese women's gymnastics team; those girls look like they were 10 years old

colleyvillesooner
8/14/2008, 08:35 PM
Didn't help the Canadians at Calgary . . .

yeah, I was reffering more to the summer games.

The winter it doesn't have that much of an effect.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/15/2008, 12:05 PM
If it does not involve crossing a line ahead of your opponent, throwing something further, putting a ball in a net, or some other MEASURABLE and objective activity, it is not a sport. Not to diminish the athleticism required to compete in events like gymnastics, or figure skating, or whatever. Those people are still amazing athletes. But if the way you win is by having the highest score awarded to you by judges, it is not sport. It is athletic exhibition.

I'll give boxing a pass as far as being sport, despite how dirty we all know it is, because the real object is to knock the other guy the **** out. TKOs and point scoring exist mainly to control the length of matches and to limit the number of people who die in the ring.Well said. Concurrence, too.

GottaHavePride
8/16/2008, 12:59 AM
I think another aspect of being a "sport" is that one player or team's efforts can have a direct impact on the performance of the opposing player or team.

tommieharris91
8/16/2008, 01:58 AM

I'll give boxing a pass as far as being sport, despite how dirty we all know it is, because the real object is to knock the other guy the **** out. TKOs and point scoring exist mainly to control the length of matches and to limit the number of people who die in the ring.

In other news, OU's count of overall national championships was reduced by 7 today when the NCAA stopped recognizing gymnastics as a sport...

BigRedJed
8/16/2008, 03:04 PM
I stand by my opinion.

On a related not, I am proud that OU is so good at judged athletic exhibitions.