PDA

View Full Version : Sam = Soph Slump?

soonerfan28
8/10/2008, 03:29 PM
Is anyone other then me getting tired of hearing "will Bradford have a sophmore slump". I know that McCoy had one at Texas last year, but this is Oklahoma and he also has his entire line coming back next year and a ****load of offensive weapons. I think it's not going to matter if we win every game people are still going to question his play every single week. I'm just tired of hearing about it and hope he throws for 40 td's to shut these people up.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 03:41 PM
Ya I'm feeling a Jason White type season, and a better postseason. Even if he has a somewhat slump we still have a good chance to win.

soonerfan28
8/10/2008, 03:50 PM
I agree that he doesn't have to throw for 4,000 yards and 50 TD's to win. We have more talent then any team in the Big 12 so one guy doesn't have to be great. It also doesn't hurt that you have Murray, Brown, Iglesias, Johnson, Gresham, Eldridge, Clapp, Broyles, Madu, Chaney, and any others not mentioned to help you out.

tulsaoilerfan
8/10/2008, 03:57 PM
Is anyone other then me getting tired of hearing "will Bradford have a sophmore slump". I know that McCoy had one at Texas last year, but this is Oklahoma and he also has his entire line coming back next year and a ****load of offensive weapons. I think it's not going to matter if we win every game people are still going to question his play every single week. I'm just tired of hearing about it and hope he throws for 40 td's to shut these people up.

So why r u bringing it up? ;)

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 03:59 PM
The more people/we bring it up the better it feels when he does great. lol

In three weeks from now I will probably be pissed off at the Texans, but still feeling really good after our annihilation on Tennessee Chattanooga, and really hung over.

colleyvillesooner
8/10/2008, 04:19 PM
I'm in the "he'll not have as good numbers as last year, but we'll be a better team" boat.

zeke
8/10/2008, 04:20 PM
He will be better and the team will be better.

setem
8/10/2008, 04:23 PM
Sam looks so much bigger and stronger than last year. He never really looked like he has the NFL build to me. Now he def looks the part. I know he has the right head on his shoulders to do even better than last year.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 04:37 PM
Ya, he just looks way more mature in the videos. And it kinda looks like he might be more intimidating of a player.

soonerfan28
8/10/2008, 04:41 PM
So why r u bringing it up? ;)
Because I was curious if anybody thought it was a justified question.

Curly Bill
8/10/2008, 04:42 PM
I'm in the "he'll not have as good numbers as last year, but we'll be a better team" boat.

Is there room in this boat for me?

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 04:50 PM
I think he will have between 12-16 passing td's through the first 4 games.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 04:50 PM
Sam looks so much bigger and stronger than last year. He never really looked like he has the NFL build to me. Now he def looks the part. I know he has the right head on his shoulders to do even better than last year.

I agree. I was watching the videos on soonersports.com throughout this last week, not only on the field does he look bigger, but in the interview they did of him earlier this week he looked bigger to me.
I think he's ready to roll, and I'm sure he's not letting the "slump" talk get to him. He'll show them on the field and they'll shut their mouths.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2008, 05:05 PM
Hey, I didn't think McCoy had a soph. slump. The UT O-line took a big step down due to graduation/draft and McCoy just didn't have the same protection. True, he tried to do too much to compensate at times, but he made some incredible runs in critical situations in the few games I saw. Sam should have even better protection this year than last. I doubt his numbers will be better since they were so good last year. I think his numbers will depend more on how the coaches call the game than Sam's play - he will do well with was is acked of him.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 05:33 PM
Hey, I didn't think McCoy had a soph. slump. The UT O-line took a big step down due to graduation/draft and McCoy just didn't have the same protection. True, he tried to do too much to compensate at times, but he made some incredible runs in critical situations in the few games I saw. Sam should have even better protection this year than last. I doubt his numbers will be better since they were so good last year. I think his numbers will depend more on how the coaches call the game than Sam's play - he will do well with was is acked of him.

One thing it sounds like (from listening to sports shows), is that we may see some running from Sam this year. They were saying some runs like JH had back when he was our QB. Options and so on.
They've been working on their footwork more at practice too it seems, so maybe Sam has not only gotten bigger, but faster as well. Wish the season would hurry up and get here

colleyvillesooner
8/10/2008, 05:45 PM
Is there room in this boat for me?

we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Big John
8/10/2008, 05:54 PM
Hey, I didn't think McCoy had a soph. slump. The UT O-line took a big step down due to graduation/draft and McCoy just didn't have the same protection. True, he tried to do too much to compensate at times, but he made some incredible runs in critical situations in the few games I saw. Sam should have even better protection this year than last. I doubt his numbers will be better since they were so good last year. I think his numbers will depend more on how the coaches call the game than Sam's play - he will do well with was is asked of him.

Exactly. The difference wasn't McCoy, it was his O-line losing some great players. I also agree with the second part. With a better o-line and with Calhoun and Johnson being added to the RB unit with the same TEs back, there might be even more running; sort of like the difference between 2003 and 2004 when Peterson was added and the o-line was better. But I wouldn't be too surprised if Bradford's efficiency actually increases this season. On a less positive note though, there might be a "junior slump" with the o-line graduating along with three receivers and Gresham likely going pro. Not saying that Bradford will do terrible in 2009, I just don't think he'll be as efficient with all those starters leaving.

cvsooner
8/10/2008, 06:13 PM
Maybe a sophomore slump like Tim Tebow? That worked out okay.

olevetonahill
8/10/2008, 07:14 PM
we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Hows this ?
http://orthoticcontessa.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/NoahsArk.jpg
:D

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2008, 08:04 PM
One thing it sounds like (from listening to sports shows), is that we may see some running from Sam this year. They were saying some runs like JH had back when he was our QB. Options and so on.
They've been working on their footwork more at practice too it seems, so maybe Sam has not only gotten bigger, but faster as well. Wish the season would hurry up and get here

Personally, I'd rather not see Sam running options this season. No reason to give the defenses a free shot at him if we don't need to. The only running I'd like to see are some designed roll-outs to avoid the rush in blitz situations. Just often enough to keep the D honest; 2-3 times a game maybe. A quarterback draw in the right situation can be effective as well.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 08:26 PM
If this Sophomore slump is about Sam pulling women I'm sure he has no problem.

Collier11
8/10/2008, 08:31 PM
Sam has exactly what Colt didnt have his soph yr, a O-line. Sam will be fine, all he has to do is make good decisions and let his playmakers do the rest

PLaw
8/10/2008, 08:32 PM

Not a chance this year with the O-line and depth of skill players. Next year, however, could be a concern with a new o-line. I'm hoping the youngsters get a lot of game time this year.

Boomer

PLaw
8/10/2008, 08:34 PM
Sam has exactly what Colt didnt have his soph yr, a O-line. Sam will be fine, all he has to do is make good decisions and let his playmakers do the rest

And making good decisions is exactly what he has proven to be very capable of doing.

BOOMER

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 08:35 PM
Not a chance this year with the O-line and depth of skill players. Next year, however, could be a concern with a new o-line. I'm hoping the youngsters get a lot of game time this year.

Boomer

I hope we kill everybody so our younger backups get some game experience. Then again we need to know how to win the tight games this year too. The season is approaching... anybody hear anymore about the ppv ? Or if somebody is going to pick the game up. ?
Mack Brown's gay...

soonerspudman
8/10/2008, 09:01 PM
Personally, I'd rather not see Sam running options this season. No reason to give the defenses a free shot at him if we don't need to. The only running I'd like to see are some designed roll-outs to avoid the rush in blitz situations. Just often enough to keep the D honest; 2-3 times a game maybe. A quarterback draw in the right situation can be effective as well.

From what I've heard the coaches say they want him to be more aggressive picking up yards when the pocket breaks down and no receivers open. Doubt very, very seriously if they'd option him out into teeth of Big 12 DEs and LBs...

tulsaoilerfan
8/10/2008, 09:38 PM
Because I was curious if anybody thought it was a justified question.

I was just messin with u; i don't see anyone reason why Sam won't be better than last year with all the talent returning around him;if he was the only one back i would be a little worried

RedstickSooner
8/10/2008, 10:29 PM
So, are we now agreed that, instead, Sam is gonna have a Junior slump? :D

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 10:35 PM

Oh I agree, don't want to see us run with him all the time. Kinda like you say a few times a game. But we gotta do what's gonna get us to win. And if the coaches feel like mixing Sam up into some sort of run game, so be it and I'm all for it at that point. I'm sure they're not gonna run with him too much though, no one wants the guy injured.
A QB draw is just as risky as a rollout or option (if he's past the line of scrimmage in a rollout of course), any one of those situations, the defender is looking to light his world up if they have the chance.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 10:44 PM
Nothing against Sam b/c I love him, but he got a concussion tackling somebody (freak thing but still) Lets protect him.

tulsaoilerfan
8/10/2008, 10:47 PM

Sam could be in the NFL next year

goingoneight
8/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Nothing against Sam b/c I love him, but he got a concussion tackling somebody (freak thing but still) Lets protect him.

Have you ever had your head slammed into concrete before? He tackled a 300 lb. lineman, there's only one way to bring down a guy 85 lbs bigger than you... wrap, spin and drop.

How about... let's not fumble the ball... period.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 11:14 PM
haha thats my number one point, but I got neg bombed last time I said that. If AP does not fumble the ball.... what bowl game are we in .... ?? just saying

setem
8/11/2008, 12:00 AM
Adrian Peterson and Alan Patrick are both gone! Who the hell is AP?

Where can I get a boomer sooner ringtone?

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 12:05 AM
I was talking about last year. Allen Patrick is AP

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2008, 12:05 AM
Oh I agree, don't want to see us run with him all the time. Kinda like you say a few times a game. But we gotta do what's gonna get us to win. And if the coaches feel like mixing Sam up into some sort of run game, so be it and I'm all for it at that point. I'm sure they're not gonna run with him too much though, no one wants the guy injured.
A QB draw is just as risky as a rollout or option (if he's past the line of scrimmage in a rollout of course), any one of those situations, the defender is looking to light his world up if they have the chance.

We totally agree here. Nothing in football is safe - most QBs injuries seem to happen in the pocket when they get blind-sided while looking down field. I was just trying to come up with situations when it is relatively safe for a QB to run. The rollout is the safest because the QB can throw the ball away or tip-toe out of bounds if there are a few cheap yards to be had. On the option play, the defense can almost force the QB to keep and then try to drill him. Even on a last second pitch, they still get a free hit on the QB.

colleyvillesooner
8/11/2008, 12:07 AM
I thought it was All Day

goingoneight
8/11/2008, 12:18 AM
ENA? :confused:

setem
8/11/2008, 12:34 AM
ENA? :confused:

Even though I miss ole PT Sam is still the man!

douxpaysan
8/11/2008, 12:35 AM

I don't agree...Sam will have a junior jump. That's the boat I am paddling in, granted it is a small boat...smaller than one of Loadholt's loafers.

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 12:47 AM
Sam will get drafted after his Junior season. I think..

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2008, 02:20 AM
Mistake #1 for the Media and some fans here.

Bradford is not McCoy and OU is not Texas.

The first part is pretty self explanatory. If you need explaination, please shoot yourself.

The second part to that is simple. McCoy had a slump last year because he did not have the weapons or the Oline that he had his Freshman season. Bradford has virtually everyone back from last year, minus MK and AP.

If there is a "slump" I for one will be very surprised.

I say his numbers may end up about the same as last year. Give or take 400-500 yards, 4-5 Touchdowns and 1-2 INTs.

With that said, that is not a slump.

shaun4411
8/11/2008, 09:05 AM
yea i dont forsee a slump either. too many weapons, and that line. ohhh the line. landry jones would have a good season with that line.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/11/2008, 11:01 AM
Sam is more likely to have a Junior slump, simply because of the maturity of the line. They are all seniors this year and are going to be murderers, the lot of them.

Sam is bigger and he has experience. He has decent receivers and our running game should be dynamite.

No slump. Lot's of Heisman talk this year. This is a big year for us.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2008, 11:05 AM
anything less than 70 TD passes with more than 2 INTs is going to be disappointing

picasso
8/11/2008, 11:07 AM

you're so tired of hearing it that you start a thread about "it?" :)

badger
8/11/2008, 12:59 PM
Usually slumps are related player graduation/draftuation, injuries or competition.

Tim Tebow had "Heisman candidate" Chris Leak to compete with in year one, thus his year two stats were phenomenal when he didn't split his time.

Sam Bradford is also no longer splitting his time like he did those first few games and by staying injury-free, he may just have a Tebow-like year (sans rushing)

There is no excuses for Colt McCoy, other than a few graduations. They got rid of Jevan Sneed to Ole Miss, but he just isn't clicking like he did in year one... perhaps lack of competition made him relax a little?

TexasLidig8r
8/11/2008, 01:33 PM
There is no excuses for Colt McCoy, other than a few graduations. They got rid of Jevan Sneed to Ole Miss, but he just isn't clicking like he did in year one... perhaps lack of competition made him relax a little?

You mean.. like 3 of his 5 lineman in his freshman year being drafted by the NFL?... or, the fact that Texas did not start the same offensive line in any conference games? or the fact, that the only 2 seniors on the offensive line got injured during the season?..or the fact that his "go to" receiver Limas Sweed did not play one down after the OU game? or the fact that the line was so banged up, one player started at all 5 positions?

You mean of course.. except for those reasons?:confused:

Fraggle145
8/11/2008, 01:47 PM
You mean.. like 3 of his 5 lineman in his freshman year being drafted by the NFL?... or, the fact that Texas did not start the same offensive line in any conference games? or the fact, that the only 2 seniors on the offensive line got injured during the season?..or the fact that his "go to" receiver Limas Sweed did not play one down after the OU game? or the fact that the line was so banged up, one player started at all 5 positions?

Excuses are like a$$holes... Everyone's got one :D

Collier11
8/11/2008, 02:05 PM
Excuses are like a$$holes... Everyone's got one :D

but texas fans have really big ones :D

badger
8/11/2008, 02:14 PM

Oh Lid, you Texas lawyer you - arguing for a client that is obviously guilty of sucking his sophomore season :D

Of course, you lawyers will say that you are fighting the good fight for civil rights, right? Of course I agree to this. You should defend the rights of Colt. Colt has the right to remain awful this year. After all, without bad teams, there would be no good teams :)

TexasLidig8r
8/11/2008, 02:14 PM
but texas fans have really big ones :D

Kind of like. oh.... the things we read on this website after your last 4 bowl games.?:D

badger
8/11/2008, 02:16 PM
Kind of like. oh.... the things we read on this website after your last 4 bowl games.?:D

exCUSE me, Mr. Lid, but WE have a perfect record in the Holiday Bowl and Rose Bowl too, thank you very much. YOU go to Fiesta Bowl sometime and see how difficult it is! Rose and Holiday are SOOOO easy to win.

picasso
8/11/2008, 02:20 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say because his name is Colt and only in a place like Texas would that seem like a quality name to hand down to one's child.

picasso
8/11/2008, 02:21 PM
I kind of like the wins we've had in the Big 12 Championship myself.

Did that have anything to do with Texas? Not much.

Collier11
8/11/2008, 02:24 PM

I was referring to the other part of your quote :D :D :D

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 02:53 PM
Every Texas fan I talk to thinks Colt McCoy is the biggest bitch and horrible. I've yet to talk to a Texas fan that supports him. Vincent Young is the only thing Brown has ever had. Go play with Chris Simms balls.

MiccoMacey
8/11/2008, 07:23 PM
I also hate:

Sam can't win a game, he can only "not lose" a game.

I guess doing what you're supposed to do isn't "winning" a game.

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 07:35 PM
Sam will never know who I am. But I will have his back his entire sooner history.

But I'll crash a party he is at this year. The sooners need me. .

badger
8/11/2008, 08:10 PM
Every Texas fan I talk to thinks Colt McCoy is the biggest bitch and horrible. I've yet to talk to a Texas fan that supports him. Vincent Young is the only thing Brown has ever had. Go play with Chris Simms balls.

It's a curse to follow an awesome Heisman caliber quarterback. I mean, John David Booty and Mark Sanchez are getting no USC love after they've had the likes of Palmer and Leinart recently.

Thus, of course Texas will inevitably look down at McCoy compared to VY, who won them a championship (single handed-like, IMHO).

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 08:15 PM
"SINGLE HANDED" - THANK YOU I AGREE. MACK BROWN IS A BITCH.

MY BUDDY MAKES FUN OF HIM CLAPPING, ON A 3 AND OUT. JUST PICTURE IT.

VA Sooner
8/11/2008, 08:20 PM
I agree... the numbers won't be as good but it will be a much better season. Won't have to make as many of the plays with the amount of talent around him to help out this year.

Collier11
8/11/2008, 08:24 PM
If Bradford goes out and has 26 TD's with 10 picks and we lose 1 game some of you will say he had a disappointing year so it depends on the definition of a slump ;)

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 08:49 PM
1 regular season loss, we are in the big 12 championship, and and the national championship, case closed.