PDA

View Full Version : McCain / Leiberman Inspired choice or ho-hum?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2008, 10:39 PM
Rumor mill mongering on Drudge highlighted this possibility. Inspired or not so?

I think this would be an interesting mix and counter to the holy O-blah-ma.

What say you?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2008, 10:41 PM
Where's the pole?

Vcash, man! It's all about the vcash!

soonersn20xx
8/9/2008, 10:56 PM
As an Obama supporter, I would be overjoyed at that pick for VP.

Dio
8/9/2008, 11:00 PM
It would probably get Bob Barr some votes.

Mjcpr
8/9/2008, 11:01 PM
I don't understand why the president must always be old. Rarely do the best, most innovative calls get made by someone that should be 10 years into retirement. I know there is something to be said for experience, but **** man, that ticket would be extremely long in the tooth. IMO, he should choose somebody younger to relate to the non-geriatric crowd.

OklahomaTuba
8/9/2008, 11:04 PM
Hussien can say bye bye to the jewish vote if that happens.

Mjcpr
8/9/2008, 11:06 PM

And really, that's what it's all about.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2008, 11:07 PM
Bring in the Hebrew Hammer!

http://thehebrewhammer.com/images/Slideshow/5.jpg

Al shalom, M*****f*****s!

soonersn20xx
8/9/2008, 11:19 PM
Only if Obama doesn't outJew McCain and pick Barbara Streisand. :P

mdklatt
8/10/2008, 12:02 AM
I'm gonna start printing up some McSame/Loserman bumper stickers and make a mint.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/10/2008, 12:49 AM
Liebermann would not help McCain's chances of winning. Someone more liberal than Johnny-boy on his ticket would Shirley hurt him.

Rogue
8/10/2008, 05:27 AM
Not inspired, but certainly interesting.

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 05:45 AM
getting hitched to Joe Lieberman's form of moral legislation when it comes to media content is pretty anti-free market....

"inspired" is a pretty strong word, IMO.

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 05:47 AM
but, that is one of the contradictions in today's so-called conservatism. that you talk free-market out one side of your mouth and moral legislation about secks and violence "on TV" out the other.

Okla-homey
8/10/2008, 07:12 AM

I hear tell that all the old Jewish ladies in Florida think BHO is Muslim so they're already voting JSM. ;) And if you think about it, Florida is probably the only state where the Jewish vote is critical in tipping the state for one candidate or the other.

olevetonahill
8/10/2008, 07:12 AM
Peeps Its drunkytown From here on out
Screw Politics
:D

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 07:21 AM
Peeps Its drunkytown From here on out
Screw Politics

screw politics would be the Edwards thread.

VeeJay
8/10/2008, 07:21 AM
OleVet - when do you ever sleep????

Paris would not be happy about this scenario. I mean, we'd have two wrinkly old white guys as president and vice president.

Isn't there a tennis player from France, or one of those emerging nations in eastern Europe, we can line up as president?

reevie
8/10/2008, 07:34 AM
Ho-hum

I want to see a McCain - JC Watts ticket. There's your inspired ticket.

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 07:52 AM
Ho-hum

yeah. i agree that would be interesting.

StoopTroup
8/10/2008, 08:43 AM
Ho-hum

Catch OBL and J.C. Watts will run the Wishbone and pitch McCain right into the White House.

JohnnyMack
8/10/2008, 09:14 AM
I hear tell that all the old Jewish ladies in Florida think BHO is Muslim so they're already voting JSM. ;) And if you think about it, Florida is probably the only state where the Jewish vote is critical in tipping the state for one candidate or the other.

FL won't decide the election this year, it's gonna be the rust belt.

arcman46
8/10/2008, 12:28 PM
Stupid pick. Lieberman would be best as a cabinet position. Pick one of the new rising stars: Palin of Alaska, Michael Steele, JC Watts, Bobby Jindal, or Ken Blackwell of Ohio.

Mixer!
8/10/2008, 12:33 PM
The MSM would just paint Watts as an Uncle Tom serving his GOP masters.

8/10/2008, 12:34 PM
Stupid pick. Pick one of the new rising stars: Palin of Alaska, Michael Steele, JC Watts, Bobby Jindal, or Ken Blackwell of Ohio.Right On!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/10/2008, 12:50 PM
DEMAND GREATNESS.

Demand Billy Joe Clegg for Vice President!

8/10/2008, 01:03 PM
The MSM would just paint Watts as an Uncle Tom serving his GOP masters.Blackwell or Steele would be better picks. (JC was himhawing around about Obama)

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 01:30 PM
Right On!

i'd think if the GOP's want to keep their "True Reagan Conservative" noses clean they'd keep the "rising stars" out of this mess.

r5TPsooner
8/10/2008, 01:31 PM
That would make me vote for Barr.

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 01:51 PM
if JC was from California, Ohio, or Florida...he'd be a no-brainer. though, recent McCain lovemaking with Rove and his PR monkeys isn't making his "another 4 years of Bush" critics look wrong. which would make JC's exit from the Bush/Cheney train require explanation.

the real coup would be Colin Powell. but, like JC, jettisoned himself after term 1 of Bush/Cheney. but, i doubt CP would be a second to McCain who is GOP's version of Dick Gephardt. career loser.

King Crimson
8/10/2008, 02:13 PM
and after the PNAC and last two elections, i only use the word "coup" in jest.

swardboy
8/10/2008, 02:33 PM
i'd think if the GOP's want to keep their "True Reagan Conservative" noses clean they'd keep the "rising stars" out of this mess.

I HEARTILY concur as a conservative....association with McCain will not be a virtue come 2012.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2008, 04:15 PM
Hey, I don't have an opinion here, just wondering. I do like the J.C. Watts angle. He has been away long enough that he could be considered new. What about his baggage? DIdn't he have money or family problems prior to not running for re-election? Definitely would have the youthful and healthy notch in comparison to McCain. Sure would make the racial vote dealio mute.

8/10/2008, 05:00 PM
i'd think if the GOP's want to keep their "True Reagan Conservative" noses clean they'd keep the "rising stars" out of this mess.Yes, you're right, but an Obama presidency would likely be THAT BAD for the world.

Frozen Sooner
8/10/2008, 05:22 PM
Hey, I don't have an opinion here, just wondering. I do like the J.C. Watts angle. He has been away long enough that he could be considered new. What about his baggage? DIdn't he have money or family problems prior to not running for re-election? Definitely would have the youthful and healthy notch in comparison to McCain. Sure would make the racial vote dealio mute.

There was a rumor about his dealings when he was Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/10/2008, 05:46 PM
In other words, the question is MOOT!

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/jesse_jackson.jpg

bluedogok
8/10/2008, 06:40 PM
The current incarnation of the GOP party has very little to do with "True Reagan Conservatism" anymore, it is a party of social conservatives, not free-market, fiscal conservatives. They are social conservatives that are pretty much the same thing as the dims, just with different rhetoric about what they want to control. All of them are into printing money without anything real behind it and corporate welfare, the dims just think some should be extended to the poor as well, to buy their votes. BOTH parties make me sick anymore.

LosAngelesSooner
8/10/2008, 09:32 PM
I'd want to just sit outside some of the deep southern polling places to watch the reactions of the many secret Klansmen as they tried to decide whether to vote for a Black Man or a Jew. LOL :D

I guess I could just drive to Venice Beach and watch our Neo-Nazi's face the same dilemma, though I don't think they turn out to vote as much out here.

soonerscuba
8/10/2008, 11:24 PM
I would figure that Dan Quayle and Dick Cheney would put the kibosh on whether or not veep candidates matter in an election. They don't, btw. It's fun to pretend like they do, and it's an important decision, but if you hitch your campaign on your VP, you're probably screwed.

8/10/2008, 11:39 PM
I would figure that Dan Quayle and Cheney would put the kibosh on whether or not veep candidates matter in an election. They don't, btw.W got elected twice. Why would you include Cheney? He was/is a very popular vp among national defense conservatives.(who got W re-elected) Oh, he's caught plenty of he*l from the media, but he is, after all, a republican.

soonerscuba
8/10/2008, 11:48 PM
W got elected twice. Why would you include Cheney? He was/is a very popular vp among national defense conservatives.(who got W re-elected) Oh, he's caught plenty of he*l from the media, but he is, after all, a republican.
You're missing my point. Dick Cheney is popular among vampires and the undead, but it doesn't matter, voters don't care about the VP choice, Cheney should make that patently obvious.

LosAngelesSooner
8/10/2008, 11:53 PM
Why would you include Cheney? He was/is a very popular vp among national defense conservatives.*guffaw*

*chortle*

*snort*

Ah...the lies "we" tell ourselves...

8/11/2008, 12:02 AM
You're missing my point. Dick Cheney is popular among vampires and the undead, but it doesn't matter, voters don't care about the VP choice, Cheney should make that patently obvious.Oh, I get it. They only vote for the presidential candidate, like algore.

def_lazer_fc
8/11/2008, 01:45 AM
W got elected twice. Why would you include Cheney? He was/is a very popular vp among national defense conservatives.(who got W re-elected) Oh, he's caught plenty of he*l from the media, but he is, after all, a republican.

jeez, as long as you keep chipping away certain demographics, ANYONE can appear to be "popular".

he was and still is a very popular vp among those who eat their young.

Blue
8/11/2008, 01:50 AM
I worry for this country when guys like Cheney are no longer calling foreign policy shots. Repub or Democrat.

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 02:23 AM
I worry for this country when guys like Cheney are no longer calling foreign policy shots. Repub or Democrat.I know. Other nations might actually start respecting and admiring us again instead of feeling we're the #1 threat to world peace...as they currently do.

How ever will we manage??? :rolleyes:

yermom
8/11/2008, 02:40 AM
I worry for this country when guys like Cheney are no longer calling foreign policy shots. Repub or Democrat.

guys getting rich off of going to war?

Blue
8/11/2008, 02:55 AM
I know. Other nations might actually start respecting and admiring us again instead of feeling we're the #1 threat to world peace...as they currently do.

Save it. I don't give a **** what other countries who are looking to gain an advantage over us care about who we are. When and where was this world you lived in of perfect harmony where other powers weren't looking to undermine us or weaken our interests? When did the world ever praise the good ol USA, not to our face, but privately as they enjoyed being 2nd to last fiddle?

Wake the **** up. The world is dangerous. I don't know what you think is magically gonna happen to make people want to stop trying to knock the big boy off the block. When we're a third rate power, I guess you'll be happy. This new line of thinking (of you-so called conservative and liberals), IMO, is ruining and will be the ruin of this country.

Blue
8/11/2008, 02:57 AM
guys getting rich off of going to war?

The World Geo-political stage is a little more complicated than that.

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 04:50 AM
Save it. I don't give a **** what other countries who are looking to gain an advantage over us care about who we are. When and where was this world you lived in of perfect harmony where other powers weren't looking to undermine us or weaken our interests? When did the world ever praise the good ol USA, not to our face, but privately as they enjoyed being 2nd to last fiddle?

Wake the **** up. The world is dangerous. I don't know what you think is magically gonna happen to make people want to stop trying to knock the big boy off the block. When we're a third rate power, I guess you'll be happy. This new line of thinking (of you-so called conservative and liberals), IMO, is ruining and will be the ruin of this country.
You keep telling yourself that over and over and over and over.

Maybe it'll make you sleep better at night. Cheney thinks about the money he's made off the war in order to sleep well rather than all the men he let die so he could get rich on a war predicated on lies. That, of course, is assuming he has a soul.

We managed to be respected and admired by MANY countries for DECADES before Bush Jr. somehow squandered all that international good will. ANYONE who travelled internationally during that time and has since travelled during the Bush Admin has noticed the difference in the international perception of America and treatment of Americans. And until you believe and acknowledge those salient FACTS you will remain little more than a fearmonger and a moutpiece for Bush propeganda.

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 04:52 AM
The World Geo-political stage is a little more complicated than that.
Right.

According to YOU it's as complicated as: We're #1 and everybody else wants to knock us off our perch. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 07:51 AM
This new line of thinking (of you-so called conservative and liberals), IMO, is ruining and will be the ruin of this country.

Funny, I thought it was organized religion.

sooneron
8/11/2008, 08:05 AM

This must be why he's out constantly stumping for JSM, oh wait...

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 10:42 AM
This election will get the ultimate spin job no matter who wins. If McCain wins the Dems will rally around Clinton, say she should have gotten the nod and will start priming the pump for her run in '12. If Obama wins the Republicans will shrug their shoulders, say they didn't really care for McCain and that they're consolidating their conservative Reagan-esque base for a '12 run.

SoonerBorn68
8/11/2008, 11:04 AM
All this J.C. talk makes me chuckle. He lost all credibility with me when after all his "beliefs" in conservatism came crashing down when he annouced he was going to vote for Obama.

SoonerBorn68
8/11/2008, 11:05 AM
Kind of like Lieberman. We was against abortion until he ran for VP. You don't just change your core values overnight.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 11:11 AM
I hear McCain is talking about Leiberman and Tom Ridge as possible VP choices. Is he trying NOT to get elected?

picasso
8/11/2008, 11:14 AM
I know. Other nations might actually start respecting and admiring us again instead of feeling we're the #1 threat to world peace...as they currently do.

haha, you know a lot about geo-politics huh.

I know I know, it's all about popularity. yeah, that's how diplomacy and stuff umm works.

picasso
8/11/2008, 11:17 AM
You keep telling yourself that over and over and over and over.

Maybe it'll make you sleep better at night. Cheney thinks about the money he's made off the war in order to sleep well rather than all the men he let die so he could get rich on a war predicated on lies. That, of course, is assuming he has a soul.

We managed to be respected and admired by MANY countries for DECADES before Bush Jr. somehow squandered all that international good will. ANYONE who travelled internationally during that time and has since travelled during the Bush Admin has noticed the difference in the international perception of America and treatment of Americans. And until you believe and acknowledge those salient FACTS you will remain little more than a fearmonger and a moutpiece for Bush propeganda.

yes because in that time we have offered no aid or any type of relief to other countries in need.
and you are honestly going to tell us that we were quite the popular country in Western Europe pre Dubya???

8/11/2008, 11:59 AM

Wake the **** up. The world is dangerous. I don't know what you think is magically gonna happen to make people want to stop trying to knock the big boy off the block. When we're a third rate power, I guess you'll be happy. This new line of thinking (of you-so called conservative and liberals), IMO, is ruining and will be the ruin of this country.IMO, one of your finest posts, evar!

8/11/2008, 12:04 PM
All this J.C. talk makes me chuckle. He lost all credibility with me when after all his "beliefs" in conservatism came crashing down when he annouced he was going to vote for Obama.Yeah. That's the himhawing about Obama I was talking about. Fat chance he gets chosen by McCain. Watts is reduced to favoring race over all, it seems.

soonersn20xx
8/11/2008, 12:09 PM
This election will get the ultimate spin job no matter who wins. If McCain wins the Dems will rally around Clinton, say she should have gotten the nod and will start priming the pump for her run in '12.

With Hillary Clinton and her ilk secretly undermining the Obama campaign, they will find themselves out in the cold in '12. Alot of democrats will hold Hillary directly responsible for an Obama loss, including me.

Hillary disgusts me to the point I would consider voting Republican.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 12:12 PM
With Hillary Clinton and her ilk secretly undermining the Obama campaign, they will find themselves out in the cold in '12. Alot of democrats will hold Hillary directly responsible for an Obama loss, including me.

Don't be surprised when my tin foil hat theory of Obama selling his soul to the devil comes to fruition and he selects her as his running mate.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/11/2008, 12:14 PM
and you are honestly going to tell us that we were quite the popular country in Western Europe pre Dubya???

We were very popular when we were using our military to clean up their messes (Kosovo). Of course that was after they had finished snickering at us tucking tail and running from Somalia. With friends like that....

soonersn20xx
8/11/2008, 12:18 PM
Don't be surprised when my tin foil hat theory of Obama selling his soul to the devil comes to fruition and he selects her as his running mate.
To be honest, I'm not so sure that isn't Hillary's goal.......to weaken Obama among her supporters to the point he has to offer the VP to win.

Hillary may go up on stage and smile and say all the right things in campaigning for Obama, but behind closed doors she is a something quite different.

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 12:29 PM
haha, you know a lot about geo-politics huh.

I know I know, it's all about popularity. yeah, that's how diplomacy and stuff umm works.Yes. I do.
You think that having the people you're dealing with actually like you HURTS you when you're negotiating in some way??

yes because in that time we have offered no aid or any type of relief to other countries in need.
Of COURSE we've offered aid and relief, but that doesn't affect our world PERCEPTION when we're alienating nation after nation with our President's "Cowboy Diplomacy." If you think I'm wrong then you clearly haven't BEEN to Western Europe pre, then again post Dubya. I have. The entire perception changed. During Bush Sr and Clinton we were treated like Rock Stars in most of Western Europe.

I know I was treated GREAT. And I was treated great in India, China and Russia, pre-Bush Jr. Post? Not so much.

IMO, one of your finest posts, evar!

Because you totally towed the party line like a GOOD Neo-Con! LOL

Thanks for again proving my point, Rush. :D

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 12:32 PM
Hillary may go up on stage and smile and say all the right things in campaigning for Obama, but behind closed doors she is a something quite different.
Yeah.

Gay.

BurningDog26
8/11/2008, 12:33 PM
Rumor mill mongering on Drudge highlighted this possibility. Inspired or not so?

I think this would be an interesting mix and counter to the holy O-blah-ma.

What say you?
Never happen!

BurningDog26
8/11/2008, 01:05 PM

Great JM will win again in 2012

Blue
8/11/2008, 01:39 PM
Right.

According to YOU it's as complicated as: We're #1 and everybody else wants to knock us off our perch. :rolleyes:

Heh.

Blue
8/11/2008, 01:43 PM
And until you believe and acknowledge those salient FACTS you will remain little more than a fearmonger and a moutpiece for Bush propeganda.

I'm not a fanboy of the current administration to the point of blind allegiance. My point is throughout our history we've had tough men making tough decisions regarding how we deal with the world. I'd hate to have a White House full of appeasers and people pleasers. I wasn't saying your boy Barack was one of them, but just that it will be a sad day when it does.

We've had relative peace for a long time. It looks like things are heating up again as far as positioning of countries.

Blue
8/11/2008, 01:45 PM
Funny, I thought it was organized religion.

Well considering our country ran pretty efficiently for 200 years until people like you started throwing God out of the public square, I blame you.:P

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 01:52 PM
Well considering our country ran pretty efficiently for 200 years until people like you started throwing God out of the public square, I blame you.:P

What are you, my ex-wife?

Curly Bill
8/11/2008, 02:02 PM
And until you believe and acknowledge those salient FACTS you will remain little more than a fearmonger and a moutpiece for Bush propeganda.

Did you check with Sooner20xx to verify that these are in fact the "facts?"

picasso
8/11/2008, 02:10 PM
Yes. I do.
You think that having the people you're dealing with actually like you HURTS you when you're negotiating in some way??

Of COURSE we've offered aid and relief, but that doesn't affect our world PERCEPTION when we're alienating nation after nation with our President's "Cowboy Diplomacy." If you think I'm wrong then you clearly haven't BEEN to Western Europe pre, then again post Dubya. I have. The entire perception changed. During Bush Sr and Clinton we were treated like Rock Stars in most of Western Europe.

I know I was treated GREAT. And I was treated great in India, China and Russia, pre-Bush Jr. Post? Not so much.

Because you totally towed the party line like a GOOD Neo-Con! LOL

Thanks for again proving my point, Rush. :D

I don't buy it as a whole. Did you get an opinion from every person in said countries? Was it a fair poll?
Are you even liked in your own country or neighborhood?

tough questions.

I've gotten a pretty good gauge from my German buddy.

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2008, 02:13 PM
More than a few examples of why you have to be at least 35 to run for POTUS.:D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/11/2008, 02:54 PM
All this J.C. talk makes me chuckle. He lost all credibility with me when after all his "beliefs" in conservatism came crashing down when he annouced he was going to vote for Obama.

I hadn't heard that. I would agree with you on the credibility scale.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/11/2008, 02:57 PM
If you think I'm wrong then you clearly haven't BEEN to Western Europe pre, then again post Dubya. I have. The entire perception changed. During Bush Sr and Clinton we were treated like Rock Stars in most of Western Europe.

You forgot to mention that when you were in Europe in the 90's you were to drunk to know that the frenchies were sneering at you the whole time;)

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 10:47 PM
I wasn't saying your boy Barack was one of them, but just that it will be a sad day when it does.I've been a John McCain man since 1998.

You should read more and not make assumptions.

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 10:49 PM
I don't buy it as a whole. Did you get an opinion from every person in said countries? Was it a fair poll?
Are you even liked in your own country or neighborhood?

tough questions.

I've gotten a pretty good gauge from my German buddy.
Believe it or not, some people actually like me. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2008, 10:50 PM
You forgot to mention that when you were in Europe in the 90's you were to drunk to know that the frenchies were sneering at you the whole time;)I speak just enough French to sneer back and I drink just enough whiskey to make them pre-emptively surrender when I do. ;)

olevetonahill
8/11/2008, 11:13 PM
Believe it or not, some people actually like me. ;)

Im calling Bull **** on this statement :eek:

Blue
8/11/2008, 11:53 PM
I've been a John McCain man since 1998.

You should read more and not make assumptions.

Look who's talkin.

LosAngelesSooner
8/12/2008, 01:47 AM
Look who's talkin.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
8/12/2008, 02:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Dude I gots 2 friends and I know Im cooler than you :P

Harry Beanbag
8/12/2008, 06:56 AM
Dude I gots 2 friends and I know Im cooler than you :P

Yeah, but how many bazookas do you have?

olevetonahill
8/12/2008, 07:17 AM

SHHHHHHHH!
Some things we dont talk about .:mad:

Blue
8/12/2008, 06:44 PM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, I can do that too!:rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
8/12/2008, 07:32 PM
I've got a whole PACK of Bazooka.

Wait...you didn't mean the bubble gum, did you?

JohnnyMack
8/27/2008, 02:51 PM
This Lieberman talk just won't go away. I can't believe the Republicans nominated John McCain. I also can't believe the Democrats can't pull away. This whole thing is on its way to a train wreck of epic proportions.

Avoiding a Lieberman Disaster
By Robert Novak

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Reports of strong support within John McCain's presidential campaign for Independent Democratic Sen. Joseph Lieberman as the Republican candidate for vice president are not a fairy tale. Influential McCain backers, plus McCain himself, would pick the pro-choice liberal from Connecticut if they thought they could get away with it.

But they can't get away with it -- and this has been made clear to McCain by none other than Joe Lieberman himself.

Lieberman surely doesn't know that much about Republican politics, but he has close Republican friends. One of them prevailed on Lieberman to tell McCain that a McCain-Lieberman ticket would be a disaster for all concerned, and especially for the GOP.

Actually, Lieberman is a heroic figure among Republicans for having risked his Senate seat to support President George W. Bush's war policy. But aside from the war, he votes the straight liberal line, including pro-choice on abortion. Lieberman's Republican friend told him that the Republicans would leave Minnesota in a state of disarray with a McCain-Lieberman ticket, alienating social conservatives who now make up the core of Republican voters.

At the heart of the desire for Lieberman as running mate is a basic strategic disagreement between the Bush and McCain high commands.

McCain's top strategists argue that the Bush coalition that won the last two presidential elections is dead and must be replaced by a new one that extends to the left, as Lieberman would. Bush strategists disagree, asserting that McCain is getting around 90 percent of the old Bush vote and can win the election with a few moderates added in.

The Republican operative who urged Lieberman to dissuade McCain from picking him believes that there is still a very useful role for the maverick Democrat in this campaign: as McCain's secretary of state. While an announcement in St. Paul of Lieberman as vice president would bring groans from the assembled Republicans, placing him at the State Department would evoke a standing ovation.

At this writing, nobody knows McCain's choice. He is keeping the selection process secret, and his closest aides are in the dark. Could he still name Lieberman after being told by Lieberman himself that it is not a good idea? Nobody absolutely rules it out.

Selecting a vice presidential nominee from the opposite party has not fared well, partly because the two most prominent such selections quickly succeeded to a vacant presidency.

In 1864, Republican President Abraham Lincoln picked a pro-Union Democrat, Andrew Johnson, as his running mate. Johnson clashed continuously with the Republican Congress and became the first president to be impeached. In 1840, Whig President William Henry Harrison selected Democrat John Tyler for vice president. Tyler became president upon Harrison's death in 1841. Tyler found himself surrounded by old political enemies in a Whig Cabinet.

Those problems might be less serious for Lieberman should he quickly succeed to the presidency, however. He is on intimate terms with the McCain inner circle, especially Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

Still, Republicans assembling in St. Paul have their fingers crossed that McCain will not press his luck by naming Lieberman as his running mate.

SoonerProphet
8/27/2008, 03:33 PM
Should be pretty obvious that lobbyists and policy wonks within the GOP have all but abandoned conservative principles over the course of the last 20 years.

tommieharris91
8/27/2008, 03:38 PM
Should be pretty obvious that lobbyists and policy wonks within the GOP have all but abandoned conservative principles over the course of the last 20 years.

It's obvious to me now.

picasso
8/27/2008, 05:44 PM

that's true but look who's running the RUN DNC these days. it ain't mainstream.

SoonerProphet
8/27/2008, 06:22 PM
that's true but look who's running the RUN DNC these days. it ain't mainstream.

bull****, the liberals will continue to trot out the same tired foreign policy that has failed to increase global security since the collapse of the Soviet Union. biden is just as reckless as mcain, lieberman, et. al regarding our own national security interests. short-sighted, hammer heavy, and utterly ignorant of their unintended consequences.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 10:34 AM
Anybody think Kay Bailey Hutchinson would be a good Veep pick?

Scott D
8/28/2008, 05:36 PM
no

swardboy
8/28/2008, 08:48 PM
I fervently hope it's the Alaskan Governess...Sara Palin

Scott D
8/29/2008, 12:16 AM
nobody that wants any kind of political future would be dumb enough to hitch their future to the McCain wagon.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2008, 07:45 AM
CNN reporting a plane flew from anchorage to Dayton, OH last night.

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2008, 07:48 AM
Does that mean Bob Stoops is interviewing for other jobs again?

JohnnyMack
8/29/2008, 07:54 AM
Heh.

MSNBC says pawlenty and Romney are NOT in Ohio and are out.

Scott D
8/29/2008, 09:23 AM
I'll have to give kudos for both presidential candidates doing everything in their power to look more unelectable than the other guy.

pandering for hillary's locksteppers is even more amusing than biden's stupidity.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2008, 09:28 AM
CNN reporting a plane flew from anchorage to Dayton, OH last night.

But she is going to the Alaskan State Fair...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2008, 09:31 AM
...biden's stupidity.

Joe Biden, the Plagiarer in Chief!! He plagiarizes everything, even his master's thesis.

shaun4411
8/29/2008, 09:42 AM
i dont know how much more alienated the rebpublican party would feel with a mccain/lieberman ticket.. youd have a prez candidate that the base doesnt really like, and a vp candidate that the left doesnt like, and he's only a independent because the libs dont like him. he is absolutely not a republican.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2008, 09:45 AM
^^^

Heh...Screw Jimmy Carter - I wish he would keep his mouth shut, or perhaps eat a lot of alum or something that would prevent him from opening his yap...