PDA

View Full Version : What's the "NCAA Death Penalty" mean for SMU these days?

Rogue
8/9/2008, 09:02 PM
Seeing as how they've ponied-up (pun neutral) $2m for June Jones, what are the current/future NCAA sanctions against SMU in 2008 and beyond?

Can they buy their way back to legitimacy?
Not throwing stones here, simply curious.

Sooner24
8/9/2008, 10:08 PM
I would be willing to bet SMU is back before OSU ever gets there.

sooner59
8/9/2008, 11:20 PM
I would be willing to bet SMU is back before OSU ever gets there.

This is both hilarious and a legitimate argument. And I agree.

VA Sooner
8/10/2008, 11:36 AM
It's been a few decades... wiping away the dust will be the first order of business. Junie did a pretty job there in Hawaii... his QB did well in last week's pre-season game with the Redskins. Tough kid (Brennan)... took some hard knocks in that Georgia game and still wanted to get out there and keep fighting. Junie did the right thing in pulling the kid out.

Flagstaffsooner
8/10/2008, 12:02 PM
This is both hilarious and a legitimate argument. And I agree.You got that right, but SMU doesnt have a big egocentric sugar daddy like oSu.

bluedogok
8/10/2008, 03:17 PM
No, they have a bunch of them instead of one. Nothing like the early 80's when the cash, boots, beer and co-eds were flowing to recruits and they didn't even try to hide it.

Jacie
8/10/2008, 03:25 PM
Smoo is the Dallas equivalent of Rice now. They will be hard pressed to go .500 in any season.

One of my favorite moments in Smoo history was the Texas governor (the one that came after Ann Richards but before Bush) acknowledging that they (the boosters) were still making payments to one of their players despite being caught by the NCAA because, in his words, "We agreed to pay him when we recruited him."

Scott D
8/10/2008, 07:29 PM
no school will ever get hit with sanctions that hard ever again. The NCAA will force them to drop the sport before they'd repeat it.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2008, 07:55 PM
Smoo is the Dallas equivalent of Rice now. They will be hard pressed to go .500 in any season.

One of my favorite moments in Smoo history was the Texas governor (the one that came after Ann Richards but before Bush) acknowledging that they (the boosters) were still making payments to one of their players despite being caught by the NCAA because, in his words, "We agreed to pay him when we recruited him."

Bush came after Ann Richards. He defeated her in her re-election bid. There wasn't another governor between Richards and Bush.

Jacie
8/10/2008, 08:10 PM
Bush came after Ann Richards. He defeated her in her re-election bid. There wasn't another governor between Richards and Bush.

You are right, it was before Annie, old Bill Clements. He was on the SMU board of regents and a poster child for good old boy stereotypes.

bri
8/10/2008, 08:13 PM
Seeing as how they've ponied-up (pun neutral) $2m for June Jones, what are the current/future NCAA sanctions against SMU in 2008 and beyond?

Can they buy their way back to legitimacy?
Not throwing stones here, simply curious.

So paying a coach is an NCAA violation now?

Man, we're f*cked.

tommieharris91
8/10/2008, 08:25 PM
:stunned: DATZ WHUT U GIT FER PAYUN COCHEES!!!! GOONERZ!!!

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 08:41 PM
June Jones will never be a winner, just like any team that passes 98% of the time. Does he plan to run the same offense, I'm sure?

starclassic tama
8/10/2008, 11:22 PM
yeah the original post doesn't even make sense

Scott D
8/11/2008, 06:21 AM
it's more or less implying that since SMU has gotten a coach who can be successful at a mid-major level, what are the odds that their boosters try to return to the good old days. And because of that, they get put on some sort of probation in the near future.

sooneron
8/11/2008, 08:33 AM
Who names their boy June?

That's the better question.

OUMallen
8/11/2008, 10:11 AM
As to the topic, question- do SMU's academic standards make it harder to recruit/retain talent there?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/11/2008, 10:52 AM
Give 'em 3-4 years and they have a shot a being a legitimate team. They can creep in to the ranks of 'pain in the ***' in fairly short order. Jones is a great coach.

I think the toughest thing for them will be getting talent given their strict academic requirements.

Beef
8/11/2008, 04:13 PM
Hiring June changes that. If he sticks around a while, getting to bowl games in C-USA should be fairly easy. There are plenty of spread QB's in Texas and the for lack of a better term "generic white Texas Tech" type receiver that won't be recruited by the big boys that he will be able to get in there and just flat out outscore the defenses in that conference.

Scott D
8/11/2008, 05:47 PM
Who names their boy June?

That's the better question.

I remember going hoarse in the student section when Kansas played on our concrete turf, I spent the entire game mocking June Henley, only to learn his parents were sitting about 3 sections away :O

bluedogok
8/11/2008, 10:26 PM
I think as long as they stay in a conference like C-USA they can become a consistent contender in their conference much like Tulsa was under Kragthorpe and looks like they might continue under Graham. As long as they don't try to step up in class to a power conference they should be able to build something there with June. If he can build Hawaii to the point that other teams no longer want to travel there and play anymore, that is really accomplishing something.

Jdog
8/11/2008, 10:57 PM
yeah the original post doesn't even make sense

Your right - The way it sound to me - I would say if they didn't get the death penalty they, not the bears, would have been invited into the Big 12. instead, today they're on par as UNT - And that's pretty bad.

Jimminy Crimson
8/12/2008, 02:38 AM
If Tulsa can be successful, so can SMU.

SMU has much better tradition/facilities/recruiting base/etc...

Go red!
Go blue!
Go Mustangs!
S-M-U!

I'll guess they go 6-6 this year. Possibly 7-5.