PDA

View Full Version : A happy video from Tulsa

Jerk
8/9/2008, 12:52 PM
puts a smile on my face!

http://www.newson6.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2782334&h1=CAUGHT%20ON%20TAPE%3A%20Customer%20Takes%20Down %20Robbery%20Suspect&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=215400&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=41972948

Flagstaffsooner
8/9/2008, 01:01 PM
Can you just imagine the fun when the Christmas shopping season begins?

Jerk
8/9/2008, 01:07 PM
Can you just imagine the fun when the Christmas shopping season begins?

Or if Obama doesn't get elected?:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/9/2008, 01:32 PM
Or if Obama doesn't get elected?:DAttention Thrifty shoppers, sale on aisle 5.;)
http://www.tagbanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/la-riots.jpg

Jerk
8/9/2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know what would be better...

Brack not getting elected, dashing the 'hope' of millions for 'economic democracy'.. I'd love to see Soros waste billions.

Or Brack getting elected and failing to turn this country into some sort of Utopia. It never works, anyway.

btw Flag; mine too.

OKLA21FAN
8/9/2008, 02:48 PM
This would nevar happen in OKC

just sayin

Rogue
8/9/2008, 02:52 PM
Brave folks show up in the damnedest places.

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 07:27 PM
The guy who subdued the robber works at American Airlines.

It was in the World this morning.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=20080809_11_A1_spancl763864

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/Thumbs/20080809_a1goodsam0809p2_article.jpg

Craig Stutzman says he didn’t do anything extraordinary when he tackled and fought with an armed robber at this Food Pyramid until police could arrive Thursday night.

He just needed some dog food from the grocery store. Instead, Craig Stutzman — an American Airlines mechanic — ended up fighting a man in a Batman mask who tried to rob the Food Pyramid at 51st Street and Memorial Drive late Thursday.

Tony Leroy Cleveland, 38, of Tulsa, was arrested on complaints of shooting with intent to kill, assault with a deadly weapon, robbery with a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon, wearing a mask in the commission of a felony and possessing a firearm, all after a felony conviction, jail records show.

According to an arrest report, Cleveland was wearing a Batman mask and a red bandana over his face and was carrying a gun when he entered the supermarket about 11:30 p.m. The robber gathered the store employees and customers to the front of the store and demanded money.

"It was a strange situation," said Stutzman, 44. "It didn't seem real. I thought it was a prank at first."

When another customer tried to duck behind a counter, Cleveland fired at him, missing his head by inches, the arrest report states.

The gun then jammed, and Stutzman tackled Cleveland, police said. Store surveillance video shows Stutzman single-handedly fighting to keep a hold on him.

"It took me a few seconds to register that we might have an opportunity here," Stutzman said. "From there, it just happened. It started in the store and ended outside. Everything else was a tumble, a blur."

The struggle continued outside the store until police arrived, even after Stutzman was hit in the head and face with the gun.

Stutzman said Friday evening that he didn't do anything extraordinary: "You know, it just happened," he said. "There's no real big thing about it."

On the contrary, said Tulsa Police Sgt. Dave Walker, who explained that without Stutzman's intervention, Cleveland would not have been arrested.

Although it appeared at first that Stutzman had a broken jaw, it was only badly bruised, he said. He had several other scrapes on his head and legs from the fight.

Stutzman had taken Friday off work and was supposed to go to a family reunion.

"I was supposed to fly out this morning," he said, laughing. "I guess it shows no good deed goes unpunished."

Cleveland was booked into the Tulsa Jail with bond set at $310,000.

Detectives will look at previous robberies of Food Pyramids for similarities and possible additional complaints against Cleveland, Walker said.

Court documents show that he served 10 years for an Oklahoma County conviction for robbery with a firearm and has a Hughes County conviction for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 07:38 PM
That older guy kicking him in the ribs...cracks me up.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2008, 10:54 PM

Yeah, the dumb-f&%$ still on his cell phone. He spends the whole time on the phone, when the guy really needed some help, rather than helping the guy out to pound on the perp's butt or head. No, he waits until the perp is tired and then comes out, cell still hooked to his ear and lets loose with a few kicks so he can say he was in on it. What a dweeb!

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 07:26 AM
A brave shopper for sure..props to him for being ballsy and attacking the robber.

That is hillarious..how he looks like he's just waiting for the right and safest time to chip in with a couple of kicks. Good job old guy.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 07:32 AM
From the Tulsa World story you posted...here's the part that gets me.

...Court documents show that he served 10 years for an Oklahoma County conviction for robbery with a firearm and has a Hughes County conviction for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon...
So how about our court system learns something from these types of incidents and leaves pieces of sh*t like this locked up for life. If they do it once, they are still capable and likely to do it again when you release them after 10 years. I think it's bull**** they let scumbags like this free (even after 10 years).
I mean it sounds like he damn near killed the guy he shot at the other night. If he had better aim he would've been responsible for murder, which in my opinion makes the judicial/ system responsible for murder since they let this p.o.s. out of jail to begin with.

Okla-homey
8/10/2008, 08:08 AM
From the Tulsa World story you posted...here's the part that gets me.

So how about our court system learns something from these types of incidents and leaves pieces of sh*t like this locked up for life. If they do it once, they are still capable and likely to do it again when you release them after 10 years. I think it's bull**** they let scumbags like this free (even after 10 years).
I mean it sounds like he damn near killed the guy he shot at the other night. If he had better aim he would've been responsible for murder, which in my opinion makes the judicial/ system responsible for murder since they let this p.o.s. out of jail to begin with.

Its a tough call. On the one hand, you don't want to throw people away because that would be tantamount to accepting the notion people can't be rehabilitated. OTOH, some people can't or won't change. Trouble is, how do you know which kind of person you're dealing with? I guess when its all said and done, parole boards just try to do the best they can but obviously quite a few folks slip through who have no intention of going straight.

Oh yeah, one more thing, that guy who took out the shooter should get free groceries for life from Food Pyramid.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 08:19 AM
Its a tough call. On the one hand, you don't want to throw people away because that would be tantamount to accepting the notion people can't be rehabilitated. OTOH, some people can't or won't change. Trouble is, how do you know which kind of person you're dealing with? I guess when its all said and done, parole boards just try to do the best they can but obviously quite a few folks slip through who have no intention of going straight.

I think a ton slip through.
We're too easy on criminals and I wish the powers that be would crack down tighter on this problem. Not just armed robbers, but sex offenders, drug dealers, attempted murderers, etc. It happens way too often that these D-bags are let out of jail only to attempt or commit another crime.
Maybe the rehab you speak of for these criminals is taken too lightly. I don't know what the problem is...but there is certainly a problem.
I mean it's seems that every day or every couple days (just on a local level/in the Tulsa area), we're seeing people commit crimes who have previous substantial records. And I know it's more a nation wide issue instead of just a local level problem. It just makes ya wonder why the hell we can't keep these a-holes perma-locked up. Yeah I know, the whole "second chance" thing may be good for some of these thugs, but what about the 3rd and more chances some of them get? It just boggles my mind.
Anyways, you're a lawyer, right?? :D Hope you get to keep some of these people behind bars. If that's the kind of cases you work on.

Okla-homey
8/10/2008, 08:37 AM
I think a ton slip through.
We're too easy on criminals and I wish the powers that be would crack down tighter on this problem. Not just armed robbers, but sex offenders, drug dealers, attempted murderers, etc. It happens way too often that these D-bags are let out of jail only to attempt or commit another crime.
Maybe the rehab you speak of for these criminals is taken too lightly. I don't know what the problem is...but there is certainly a problem.
I mean it's seems that every day or every couple days (just on a local level/in the Tulsa area), we're seeing people commit crimes who have previous substantial records. And I know it's more a nation wide issue instead of just a local level problem. It just makes ya wonder why the hell we can't keep these a-holes perma-locked up. Yeah I know, the whole "second chance" thing may be good for some of these thugs, but what about the 3rd and more chances some of them get? It just boggles my mind.
Anyways, you're a lawyer, right?? :D Hope you get to keep some of these people behind bars. If that's the kind of cases you work on.

I'm not a lawyer until I get my barzam results back the middle of next month -- if I passed. And I have no desire to do criminal stuff. <shivver>

Anyway, I've pondered this problem from time to time. Particularly when it comes to sex offenders/predators. The science seems to indicate its not generally impossible to "change" those folks in terms of eliminating their impulses or their desire to act on their impulses. The best you can hope for is to instill some sort of resolve not to act on the impulses.

Given the vast majority seem to re-offend, one could make a colorable argument we should simply lock them up forever. For whatever reason, the various legislatures haven't acted to create such laws. What we have instead are things like Megan's Law which require sex offender registries and the like.

As far as garden-variety thuggery goes, like the perp in the video, you hate to throw away a guy for life who hasn't killed anyone...but dang! Once you've been in the pen for a violent crime, its tough to make something of yourself on release if you lack a marketable skill or, as a lot of these guys seem to be, your IQ is down in the Forrest Gump "dull normal" range. Think about it. This guy walked into a grocery store to rob it wearing a Batman mask. He also couldn't make his firearm operate. I'd wager his IQ is probably 80 or lower.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not a lawyer until I get my barzam results back the middle of next month -- if I passed. And I have no desire to do criminal stuff. <shivver>

Anyway, I've pondered this problem from time to time. Particularly when it comes to sex offenders/predators. The science seems to indicate its not generally impossible to "change" those folks in terms of eliminating their impulses or their desire to act on their impulses. The best you can hope for is to instill some sort of resolve not to act on the impulses.

Given the vast majority seem to re-offend, one could make a colorable argument we should simply lock them up forever. For whatever reason, the various legislatures haven't acted to create such laws. What we have instead are things like Megan's Law which require sex offender registries and the like.

As far as garden-variety thuggery goes, like the perp in the video, you hate to throw away a guy for life who hasn't killed anyone...but dang! Once you've been in the pen for a violent crime, its tough to make something of yourself on release if you lack a marketable skill or, as a lot of these guys seem to be, your IQ is down in the Forrest Gump "dull normal" range. Think about it. This guy walked into a grocery store to rob it wearing a Batman mask. He also couldn't make his firearm operate. I'd wager his IQ is probably 80 or lower.
Good thoughts.
Love your last paragraph...good stuff, seems to an extent that you're in agreement with what I'm saying

StoopTroup
8/10/2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not a lawyer until I get my barzam results back the middle of next month -- if I passed.

You mean they expect you to come up with answers in two days of brutal testing and it takes them a MONTH to decide whether your capable? :D

Lazy a$$es! :D

Okla-homey
8/10/2008, 09:11 AM
Good thoughts.
Love your last paragraph...good stuff, seems to an extent that you're in agreement with what I'm saying

Yes, but is the solution just more prisons and draconian sentencing? We need to figure out a way to get ahead of this problem. I think at its core, it flows from the illegitimate birth rate in this country. I think the illegitimate birth rate is the most pressing problem we face as a people. More than the so-called health care crisis, the war and the price of gas.

Take this perp. If, as I suspect, his IQ is around 80, and he hadn't been born to a single mom under conditions I expect involved poverty, he might have been tracked into a program whereby he could reach his full-potential. A potential not involving robbery. But, if, as I'd bet, he was born into a crappy situation to a teen-aged single mom, he pretty much had to "raise" himself and when he started showing developmental problems at school, everyone who noticed said "tsk, tsk", but he ended up dropping out at 15 or younger and...well, there you have it: walking into a grocery store at 11:30 at night in a Batman mask carrying a cheap pistol.

He doesn't get a "pass" because of that, but it should be a wake-up call to the rest of us we need to figure out how to stop this horrible cycle of poor young women of all races having kids when they lack even the most basic capability to raise that child properly or see that its needs are met.

Mind you, I'm just speculating on this guy's background, but its an educated guess and I bet I'm right because the odds are on my side.

OU-HSV
8/10/2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, but is the solution just more prisons and draconian sentencing? We need to figure out a way to get ahead of this problem. I think at its core, it flows from the illegitimate birth rate in this country. I think the illegitimate birth rate is the most pressing problem we face as a people. More than the so-called health care crisis, the war and the price of gas.

Take this perp. If, as I suspect, his IQ is around 80, and he hadn't been born to a single mom under conditions I expect involved poverty, he might have been tracked into a program whereby he could reach his full-potential. A potential not involving robbery. But, if, as I'd bet, he was born into a crappy situation to a teen-aged single mom, he pretty much had to "raise" himself and when he started showing developmental problems at school, everyone who noticed said "tsk, tsk", but he ended up dropping out at 15 or younger and...well, there you have it: walking into a grocery store at 11:30 at night in a Batman mask carrying a cheap pistol.

He doesn't get a "pass" because of that, but it should be a wake-up call to the rest of us we need to figure out how to stop this horrible cycle of poor young women of all races having kids when they lack even the most basic capability to raise that child properly or see that its needs are met.

Mind you, I'm just speculating on this guy's background, but its an educated guess and I bet I'm right because the odds are on my side.

Oh I agree completely, however finding a solution to that problem is only a fix to lower the future numbers of criminals out there. It's not a fix to the current problem of allowing these losers back out into the world. But I agree with you no doubt.

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 04:12 PM
Craig works upstairs from me.

We were waiting to see him come in today but since the kids started school today I had to leave right at the end of the shift.

Everyone at work thinks what he did was AWESOME!

I'm hearing the powers that be at work want him to come see them about it.

Hopefully they'll pin a big medal on him and give him the week off.

I saw an interview with him and he's pretty banged up.

None of us can believe he didn't get more help from the folks at the store.

Anyway, I'm proud of him.

olevetonahill
8/11/2008, 04:28 PM
This wouldnt have happened this way , If the crook had had a Revolver
Just sayin
Glad the Hero took care of him :cool:

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 04:44 PM
This wouldnt have happened this way , If the crook had had a Revolver
Just sayin
Glad the Hero took care of him :cool:

Craig wouldn't have tried to get him either if it had been a revolver.

This guy will hopefully make one of those "Stupid Criminal" videos.

olevetonahill
8/11/2008, 04:47 PM
Craig wouldn't have tried to get him either if it had been a revolver.

This guy will hopefully make one of those "Stupid Criminal" videos.

When you see him give him 10 Olevet Attaboys ok ?

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 04:48 PM
When you see him give him 10 Olevet Attaboys ok ?

Will do.

C&CDean
8/11/2008, 05:06 PM
I wish I hadn't watched that.

The other people there watching the **** go down without helping need their pathetic, cowardly, worthless asses kicked. I've been in a couple similar situations (I tackled a purse snatcher one time and a guy beating the **** out of his wife another) and all these people just stand and watch.

I think I told a story on here a few years back when I was on the American Airlines TRAAM in Dallas and some guy wigs out and starts bashing his head and body into the windows/luggage racks/etc. I'm doing everything I can to hold this dude down, and when the train stops, all the other people run off - many leaving their baggage, etc. Nobody even hit the stop button and I had to wrestle this guy for 3 more stops before anyone would help. People would start to get on, see us rolling around the floor, and turn around and run like hell.

Overall, people are ****ing wusses. The girly man who was kicking the guy after it was all over needs to be waterboarded. What. A. Fag.

And kudos to the dude who fought the guy.

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 05:21 PM
Dean...

I think the guy kicking him was the store manager and he's pretty old.

However...all the others need to have their a$$es kicked IMO.

I also was wondering how many of them were back at the steak counter putting steaks down their pants while this went on.

I'm just glad it has a good conclusion.

SoonerInKCMO
8/11/2008, 05:42 PM
However...all the others need to have their a$$es kicked IMO.

How much do you think they'd stand to lose if they had put a beatdown on the perp and he then sued them? Too many civil suits giving people what they don't deserve leading to too many people looking out for only themselves... then you get too many people just watching when something like this happens.

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 06:02 PM
Here's a youtube video interviewing Craig.

You can see how banged up he got.

Q-q3eCmoRqQ&feature=related

olevetonahill
8/11/2008, 06:08 PM
Here's a youtube video interviewing Craig.

You can see how banged up he got.

Q-q3eCmoRqQ&feature=related

:cool:

Curly Bill
8/11/2008, 06:30 PM
The whole getting banged up thing sucks, that's why I woulda shot the bad dude. :P

StoopTroup
8/11/2008, 06:40 PM
I think he was on his way Home.

We can't "Carry" in our cars/trucks as we park on Federally Controlled Property.

Huge no-no.

Probably lucky for the robber is my guess.

At least he can live out his life in jail now.

olevetonahill
8/11/2008, 06:47 PM
Id have stole the maggots gun :D

StoopTroup
8/22/2008, 06:17 PM
Btw...I had a chance to talk to Craig the other day about this and told him I frequent SoonerFans.com and that all of you send him the best...not only for him getting healed up ASAP but for standing up like he did.

He's a very modest guy and when they say he's a hero...he doesn't think so...it's just reacting and doing the right thing for him.

Dude is awesome in my book.

I'm proud to say I work in his area.

Here's an update of his story that was in the Tulsa World today.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080821_11_A9_hLifei762119 (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080821_11_A9_hLifei762119 )

Robbery hero is glad 'good guy' won

Life is finally getting back to normal for Craig Stutzman.

Two weeks ago, Craig Stutzman stopped an armed robbery at a Tulsa supermarket, and now his life is finally returning to normal.

After Stutzman almost single-handedly fought a gun-wielding robber Aug. 7 at the Food Pyramid on 51st Street near Memorial Drive, people congratulated him and worried about his health. Now, he's the butt of jokes from fellow mechanics at American Airlines.

"They say things like, 'Go straight home and don't go beating up any bad guys,' or 'I didn't see you on the news this weekend,' " Stutzman said. "Everyone's having fun with it, which is good."

The robbery suspect, Tony Leroy Cleveland, 38, was charged last week in federal court.

Police reported that the robber entered the supermarket about 11:30 p.m., carrying a gun and wearing a Batman mask and a red bandana over his face.

Stutzman had stopped at the store after work to pick up a couple of cans of dog food. At first, he thought the robbery was a prank.

The robber herded shoppers into a corner, then fired at a customer, missing him by inches, police said. When the gun jammed, Stutzman tackled the gunman and fought with him until police arrived a few minutes later.

Stutzman thanked a shopper who "really defused the situation" by removing the gun from the fight. He was also glad that someone called police so quickly. He said he's lucky the ordeal ended in only a few scrapes and bruises.

"It would've been the wisest thing for me to just stop and let him go," Stutzman said. "It's an event that I don't need to do again."

The would-be robbery attracted nationwide interest. CNN featured the story, and news accounts are linked on various blogs.

Stutzman received a few letters and several phone calls thanking him for stopping the robbery. The event even brought together old friends; a high school buddy in New York called him after hearing the story.

"I hadn't spoken with him in 20 years," he said. "It was really great to talk to him."

A pharmacist who recognized Stutzman refused payment for a couple of prescriptions last week. The grocery store also covered his medical bills and gave him a gift certificate.

"It's very, very courageous what the gentleman did," said Erick Taylor, the president of Food Pyramid's parent company in Springfield, Mo. "But we wouldn't want any of our customers or our employees to put themselves in danger. It's kind of a catch-22."

Taylor called Stutzman to thank him. He also said that he wanted to meet Stutzman the next time he comes to Tulsa.

Stutzman said he appreciates the response, but he maintains that he didn't do anything heroic. People are so interested, he said, because the event evokes the eternal struggle of good vs. bad.

"The good guy won — not necessarily me — but it's almost like a story," he said. "The good guy won for a change."

olevetonahill
8/22/2008, 06:30 PM
I like threads like these . Its something we Can ALL agree on .:D

Curly Bill
8/22/2008, 07:14 PM
Police reported that the robber entered the supermarket about 11:30 p.m., carrying a gun and wearing a Batman mask and a red bandana over his face.

Would the robber have come out ahead if he'd had a Superman mask instead?
:D

olevetonahill
8/23/2008, 04:52 AM
no
;)

StoopTroup
9/24/2008, 04:16 PM
FYI...

For those who get Tulsa News...

They "Honored" Craig today at work.

Looked like every TV Station was there.

The room was completely full and packed with co-workers in his honor.

Our Manager definitely didn't have enough cookies for everyone. :D

Tulsa Police Chief Ron Palmer was there with the Arresting Officer who took the suspect into custody once he was on scene and two others who took pictures for the Department. Chief Palmer awarded Craig the highest honor they give out.

Our Vice President of American Airlines Base Maintenance in Tulsa, Fred Cleveland, awarded Craig with a really nice plaque and the Sr. Vice President, Carmine Ramano, bestowed Craig with a huge "Soaring Eagle" bronze statue commemorating his heroic selfless act in stopping the robber.

Also Vice President of Local 514 Union, Mike McDonald gave Craig another really fantastic, well written, plaque that I'm sure will be passed down through his Family as a Humble Hero.

A very nice ceremony.

Also...Lori Fulbright is H.A.W.T. :D

That is all.

ST