PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Death

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 12:20 PM
Sadly this is how the first day started.

Father of former Olympian killed in Beijing

BEIJING - The murder of the father of a former Olympian at a Beijing landmark cast a sad shadow over the first full day of Olympic competition Saturday, just hours after China's jubilant opening of the Summer Games.

Todd and Barbara Bachman of Lakeville, Minn. — parents of 2004 volleyball Olympian Elisabeth "Wiz" Bachman and in-laws of U.S. men's volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon — were attacked by a Chinese man while visiting the 13th-century Drum Tower.

The U.S. Olympic Committee confirmed Bachman died from knife wounds and that Barbara Bachman suffered life-threatening injuries. She and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured in the attack, were being treated in a Beijing hospital.

Elisabeth Bachman was with them at the time of the attack, but uninjured. Her father was chief executive officer for Bachman's, Inc., a home-and-garden center based in Minneapolis.

The assailant, Tang Yongming, 47, leapt to his death from a 130-foot (40-meter) -high balcony on the Drum Tower, just five miles (eight kilometers) from the main Olympics site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/oly_china_american_killed

SoonerDood
8/9/2008, 12:23 PM
Terrible.

OULenexaman
8/9/2008, 12:30 PM
and I have been watching this AM and NBC is hardly even talking about this...I get more up to date news from the SO.....

MR2-Sooner86
8/9/2008, 12:49 PM
Reason #2,376,584 China was the perfect spot for the '08 Olympics.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2008, 01:08 PM
so sad...

SoonerDood
8/9/2008, 01:21 PM
I'm surprised China even let this news out.

Dio
8/9/2008, 03:54 PM
The assailant, Tang Yongming, 47, leapt to his death from a 130-foot (40-meter) -high balcony on the Drum Tower, just five miles (eight kilometers) from the main Olympics site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Did he actually hit the ground, or is he still suspended in mid-air by the smog?

SoonerInKCMO
8/9/2008, 04:44 PM
Reason #2,376,584 China was the perfect spot for the '08 Olympics.

Does this murder make them equal to or still one less than the number of murders associated with the 1996 Atlanta Olympics? I can't remember how many people the bomber dude killed.

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 04:58 PM
We should have had the Olympics in a nice safe American city. Nothing like that would have happened in Dallas if they'd gotten the nod. :pop:

swardboy
8/9/2008, 05:28 PM
Did he actually hit the ground, or is he still suspended in mid-air by the smog?

I think he's still running around the top of the Bird's Nest.....

I've read this has had a very chilling effect on our ladies' volleyball team, as one would expect. Sympathy to the family....