r5TPsooner
8/8/2008, 11:26 PM
Is he done?

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 11:31 PM
Done.

VeeJay
8/8/2008, 11:38 PM
Even though Edwards portrayed himself as a lefty's dreamboat, I bought into his churchgoing devoted father, husband and family man schtick. It was such a warming story of he and the missus going to Wendy's every year for their anniversary, since that was the only place they could afford on their first anniversary.

He sold this story so hard and so solidly that, well, I bought it. Even though I disagreed with his stance on many issues, I thought he had this part of his character intact. Rarely have we seen a politician trot out their spouse so flagrantly and used that spouse's misfortune for sympathy the way Edwards did.

I was hoodwinked by a smooth, grinning shyster lawyer.

Flagstaffsooner
8/8/2008, 11:41 PM
Is he done?
I hope so. I dont care about the affair, but he is an obnoxious little a-hole. Like a east coast :texan: .

Flagstaffsooner
8/8/2008, 11:44 PM
Even though Edwards portrayed himself as a lefty's dreamboat, I bought into his churchgoing devoted father, husband and family man schtick. It was such a warming story of he and the missus going to Wendy's every year for their anniversary, since that was the only place they could afford on their first anniversary.

He sold this story so hard and so solidly that, well, I bought it. Even though I disagreed with his stance on many issues, I thought he had this part of his character intact. Rarely have we seen a politician trot out their spouse so flagrantly and used that spouse's misfortune for sympathy the way Edwards did.

I was hoodwinked by a smooth, grinning shyster lawyer.You and all of the other donks. Are you buying Obama's horse**** too?

JLEW1818
8/9/2008, 12:05 AM
Republican forever

VeeJay
8/9/2008, 12:25 AM
Flag - donk? You misunderstand what I posted. I wouldn't vote for Edwards for dogcatcher. Not now nor before this. My point is that Edwards did a fine job of painting himself as something he clearly is not. I never bought into his "two America's" horsesh*t. But his "my strong family roots came from the son of a poor textile worker" seemed plausible. As I said, it appeared he had this piece of his character intact.

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 12:27 AM
I bet it was a simply mistake...

He was probably working late at the orfice and someone got the wrong idea...

NSFW
w1mah88-5PY&feature=related

r5TPsooner
8/9/2008, 12:28 AM
His penis accidentally fell in.

CORNholio
8/9/2008, 12:31 AM
Is he done?

He was kind of trying to rep "southern values" right? or atleast that was what I caught with passing interest. So I say done.

r5TPsooner
8/9/2008, 12:43 AM
You can't trust a guy with hair like his.

Flagstaffsooner
8/9/2008, 01:00 AM
Flag - donk? You misunderstand what I posted. I wouldn't vote for Edwards for dogcatcher. Not now nor before this. My point is that Edwards did a fine job of painting himself as something he clearly is not. I never bought into his "two America's" horsesh*t. But his "my strong family roots came from the son of a poor textile worker" seemed plausible. As I said, it appeared he had this piece of his character intact. No offense to you sir. I checked your profile to find your age. Not there. But old and young have been fooled by these type of guys for ages, i.e Eastern Oklahoma voters for Gene Stipe and highschool football players for Mack Brown. Pure snake oil. Old song about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo&feature=related)

VeeJay
8/9/2008, 01:19 AM
I'm old enough to remember LBJ's last interview. My first presidential election was 1980.

We only know about candidates what he see and read. With Clinton, we knew plenty because his trail of debris followed him and he couldn't shake it loose - and it caught up with him on Monica's dress.

Edwards was never exposed - to my knowledge - as having similar personal character flaws. Though his ambulance chasing was legendary. Edwards made his fortune suing the health care industry, benefitting off its largesse, then bitching about the little man not being able to afford health care in a horribly broken system that he helped create. I despise Edwards for this.

The thing that is truly surprising is that, if Edwards admitted to his wife in 2006 that he had this affair and she forgave him, he continued to deny the affair, calling it "ridiculous" and "lies" all the while Mrs. Edwards stood by his side and said nothing. What does that say about her? I suppose living with an ambulance chaser for 30+ years has its way of rubbing off on you...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/9/2008, 01:20 AM
IMO Edwards can rise from the ashes(politically) if he plays it right in the future. He's not permanent toast like a republican doing the same thing would be. I do think he might never be considered for veep again, but maybe another political post(appointed, prolly).

VeeJay
8/9/2008, 01:28 AM
Meh - on the one hand I feel like a big part of the electorate could care less about a candidate's character. The Paris Hilton faction who won't vote for a wrinkly old white haired man. That 87% of the population who can not name the Speaker of the U.S. House.

On the other hand, though, any re-emergence of Edwards on the national stage will be a bloodbath for what's left of his family. In this partisan, split-down-the-middle era we're in, he'd be picked apart like buzzards on roadkill. I'd say he's done. I don't think his skin is that thick.

If he does jump back in, in any scenario, he's got what's coming to him.

Rogue
8/9/2008, 02:09 AM
Timing.

Harry Beanbag
8/9/2008, 03:08 AM

I was hoodwinked by a smooth, grinning shyster lawyer.

Seriously? Your're not nearly cynical enough to follow politics in this country.

Okla-homey
8/9/2008, 06:38 AM
According to the d00d himself, he was doing the ho, but he's not baby daddy. Thus, some other d00d was pounding the ho behind his back while he was pounding the ho behind his terminally ill wife's back. Got it?

STATEMENT OF SENATOR JOHN EDWARDS

August 8, 2008

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I recognized my mistake and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness. Although I was honest in every painful detail with my family, I did not tell the public. When a supermarket tabloid told a version of the story, I used the fact that the story contained many falsities to deny it. But being 99% honest is no longer enough.

I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public. With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then. I am and have been willing to take any test necessary to establish the fact that I am not the father of any baby, and I am truly hopeful that a test will be done so this fact can be definitively established. I only know that the apparent father has said publicly that he is the father of the baby. I also have not been engaged in any activity of any description that requested, agreed to or supported payments of any kind to the woman or to the apparent father of the baby.

It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up – feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help.

I have given a complete interview on this matter and having done so, will have nothing more to say.

OU-HSV
8/9/2008, 07:47 AM
done

soonersn20xx
8/9/2008, 08:10 AM
Party affiliation aside, it's sad when a public figure like this fails to live up to the image they projected. We as a people didn't need another reason to not trust or believe in something.

sooner n houston
8/9/2008, 08:45 AM
So why was he in that hotel with the ho and her baby?

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 08:53 AM
he's probably done either way. but, how is it that adultery kills Edwards (a minor player, in the big scheme) yet McCain is beyond reproach for the same thing?

Edwards was in Denver a couple weeks ago at the U of Denver and they played soundbytes all over the radio and TV news of him saying "I don't imagine i'll be asked" as per VP. he sounded strangely resigned for a politico....now we know why.

8/9/2008, 09:25 AM
he's probably done either way. but, how is it that adultery kills Edwards (a minor player, in the big scheme) yet McCain is beyond reproach for the same thing?

Edwards was in Denver a couple weeks ago at the U of Denver and they played soundbytes all over the radio and TV news of him saying "I don't imagine i'll be asked" as per VP. he sounded strangely resigned for a politico....now we know why.The media is holding the GetMcCain cards until after the conventions, I believe.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 09:50 AM
The media is holding the GetMcCain cards until after the conventions, I believe.

could be true. but, the real question is why the repubs don't seem to care as much. they seem to care more about Edwards and Clinton/Lewinsky to the point of being a political endgame--and proof of some larger argument about about the dimz as moral losers. look at this thread, GOP dogpile.

McCain's indiscretions are tolerable? almost enviable.

just saying "MSM" or "bias" isn't giving the situation "full explanatory power"....in addition to being partisan to the extent the familiar cry on the SO about the "liberal double standard"....rings pretty false.

8/9/2008, 10:06 AM
could be true. but, the real question is why the repubs don't seem to care as much. they seem to care more about Edwards and Clinton/Lewinsky to the point of being a political endgame--and proof of some larger argument about about the dimz as moral losers. look at this thread, GOP dogpile.

National Enquirer seems to be pretty independent of party affiliation, so they had the courage to go after a democrat. The MSM, not so much.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 10:42 AM
National Enquirer seems to be pretty independent of party affiliation, so they had the courage to go after a democrat. The MSM, not so much.

that's what you always post.....but conveniently ignore the other point i make.

though, i know McCain is not real Reagan Conservative....blah blah blah.

Edwards is done, the story is big news. i don't see how you make this into a MSM ignore it theory. unless Rush did it somehow yesterday.

i can only imagine the gymnastics of "funny impressions", "facts", and "logic" that would entail.

(no pun intended).

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 11:13 AM
Gee....I didn't know this was about party politics.

I thought this was simply about Johnny getting another expensive trim.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 11:22 AM
Gee....I didn't know this was about party politics.

I thought this was simply about Johnny getting another expensive trim.

doesn't sound like he paid for her.

StoopTroup
8/9/2008, 11:33 AM
doesn't sound like he paid for her.

He's paying for it.

A guy stands up and says he's gonna carry on his bid for POTUS even though his Wife has IV Cancer?

He's gonna pay for it.

However...he has the money.

r5TPsooner
8/9/2008, 12:11 PM
If I had his money the ho would have been a lot hotter looking.

Just sayin.

Frozen Sooner
8/9/2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe he figured "Hey, nobody'll believe I sexed this one up."

8/9/2008, 12:53 PM
...the REAL QUESTION is why the repubs don't seem to care as much. they seem to care more about Edwards and Clinton/Lewinsky to the point of being a political endgame--and proof of some larger argument about about the dimz as moral losers. look at this thread, GOP dogpile.

Is the above real question the point I am conveniently ignoring? Sure, it doesn't need comment, other than saying it isn't the REAL QUESTION after all. That would be why is it so seldom the MSM ever goes after democrats who do sexual indiscretions, and then LIE THEIR ASSES OFF . It took the freakin' National Enquirer to make a stink about this Edwards lying episode. Sorry, King, the left really are moral losers.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2008, 12:55 PM
dont care

r5TPsooner
8/9/2008, 02:18 PM
dont care

Me either really except for the fact he was a Presidential candidate who ran on the platform of solid Christian values and family, while having cheating on his wife on more than just one occasion, who would later become stricken with cancer.

If you can't care about that then you probably don't care about much else to begin with.

Your typical scumbag politician who things they can get away with anything.

Of course, no one can beat him up more than he's already beaten himself up plus he did tell us 99% of the truth regarding the story initially.:rolleyes:

Good stuff for the weekend.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 02:22 PM
at least the guys on the left cheat with women.

and i'm correct, the McCain thing doesn't count anymore?

Solid Christian values and such doesn't apply to John McCain?

8/9/2008, 02:27 PM
at least the guys on the left cheat with women.

and i'm correct, the McCain thing doesn't count anymore?

Solid Christian values and such doesn't apply to John McCain?Just wait. The media will strike when they think the timing is right.(I knew you guys had won when McCain won the "republican" primary.)

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 02:30 PM
Just wait. The media will strike when they think the timing is right.(I knew you guys had won when McCain won the "republican" primary.)

but it doesn't matter to republicans that McCain is cheating on his wife before? just what the MSM does about it? Do you not see the distinction i already made about it? but, when Edwards does it, it means proof of the end of the moral universe.

i'm not a democrat. and i'm not (unlike LAS pretends) a pub either.

olevetonahill
8/9/2008, 04:07 PM
but it doesn't matter to republicans that McCain is cheating on his wife before? just what the MSM does about it? Do you not see the distinction i already made about it? but, when Edwards does it, it means proof of the end of the moral universe.

I'm not a democrat. and I'm not (unlike LAS pretends) a pub either.

Ill try to tackle your question In an unbiased way .
I don't believe anyone here has said JSM was right to do what he did 35 years ago .
I voted Just another smarmy Poli.
Ive nevar cared for edwards , Couldn't get past his plastic looks and Fake sincerity.
The only thing I will say in JSM's defense is he had just got home from 5 1/2 years In the Hanoi Hilton .Not an excuse but sure is extenuating circumstances
JSM was In the process of Divorcing His wife , Or it was In the Planning stage's
Edwards Was Holding His family Values up and Using His sick wife as a Sympathy touch .
Jusy MHO

SoonerBorn68
8/9/2008, 04:51 PM
I voted:

d.) I don't care for his politics but to cheat on his wife makes him a dooshbag.

NYC Poke
8/9/2008, 04:58 PM
The whole "two Americas" thing kinda makes sense now.

tommieharris91
8/9/2008, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't care nearly as much about this if Edwards hadn't used his dying wife to advance his political career.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't care nearly as much about this if Edwards hadn't used his dying wife to advance his political career.

that's horrible opportunism. no question about it.

but McCain is running for prez and adulterating and nailing women in wedlock and it doesn't matter to repubs?

you don't see why this doesn't seems hypocritical at all?

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 05:06 PM
Ill try to tackle your question In an unbiased way .
I don't believe anyone here has said JSM was right to do what he did 35 years ago .
I voted Just another smarmy Poli.
Ive nevar cared for edwards , Couldn't get past his plastic looks and Fake sincerity.
The only thing I will say in JSM's defense is he had just got home from 5 1/2 years In the Hanoi Hilton .Not an excuse but sure is extenuating circumstances
JSM was In the process of Divorcing His wife , Or it was In the Planning stage's
Edwards Was Holding His family Values up and Using His sick wife as a Sympathy touch .
Jusy MHO

i get what you say. if McCain was Dim he'd be a horrible person. "extenuating circumstances" is not something we can have in a POTUS election.

PhilTLL
8/9/2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder if the case might be that he and Mrs. E have a rather "open" relationship, perhaps relating to her cancer, that's the reason for the seeming illogic of "She knew in 2006 but 'let' him run??!?", and that in the prudish, SITM-filled USA political landscape, it's almost easier to be tut-tutted for apparent infidelity, which is unseemly but at least people can wrap their heads around, than come right out with "somethin' weird" like an open marriage. Wild and irresponsible speculation, but it would explain a few things, at least...

olevetonahill
8/9/2008, 05:11 PM
i get what you say. if McCain was Dim he'd be a horrible person. "extenuating circumstances" is not something we can have in a POTUS election.

I didn't Mention Party affiliation Now did I ?
Personally I dont care who screws who . If they just leave the average american alone .

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:12 PM
but McCain is running for prez and adulterating and nailing women in wedlock and it doesn't matter to repubs?

But McCain's first wife was only disfigured in a car accident, not dying of a terminal disease. That's not the same thing at all!1!11!!1

The pubz are just lucky that Giuliani isn't their man. Even Turd Blossom couldn't spin his marital indiscretions.

:les: FAMILY VALUES!!!

tommieharris91
8/9/2008, 05:15 PM

This is another problem I have with McCain.

King Crimson
8/9/2008, 05:15 PM
I didn't Mention Party affiliation Now did I ?
Personally I dont care who screws who . If they just leave the average american alone .

i agree with that, but the moralizing of the politicos on the board requires these kind of considerations. family values.

Okla-homey
8/9/2008, 05:17 PM
I thought WJC made all this stuff cool.

olevetonahill
8/9/2008, 05:19 PM
i agree with that, but the moralizing of the politicos on the board requires these kind of considerations. family values.

Why I try to stay out of these kinda threads
Im voting JSM and nothing said here will Change that
Those are BHO supporters arent gonna change their Minds either .
These threads all devolve into Party politics and Name Calling

8/9/2008, 05:23 PM
i agree with that, but the moralizing of the politicos on the board requires these kind of considerations. family values.McCain will get his attack by the media soon enough (to hurt him in the election). I will be toally shocked if he doesn't. I would be curious about how much lying, if any, he did regarding the affair. Nobody has discussed that, yet.
I heard the guy from Nat. Enquirer interviewed about the Edwards expose, and what he said got him(the reporter) PO'd was the lying that Edwards did. It made the reporter go after Edwards even harder, according to that reporter.

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:25 PM
Republican forever

These threads all devolve into Party politics and Name Calling

jlew1818 was the first one to resort to partisan hypocrisy, so FTL!

tommieharris91
8/9/2008, 05:30 PM
IBTL

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:31 PM
McCain will get his attack by the media soon enough (to hurt him in the election). I will be toally shocked if he doesn't. I would be curious about how much lying, if any, he did regarding the affair.

It's not a sin when you cop to it!

olevetonahill
8/9/2008, 05:31 PM
jlew1818 was the first one to resort to partisan hypocrisy, so FTL!

In this thread But it doesnt Matter . Every damn one of em . wind up being Poli Hack type Carp

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:34 PM
In this thread But it doesnt Matter . Every damn one of em . wind up being Poli Hack type Carp

You're absolutely right. It's not like the thread would have been a civil, reasoned discussion if jlew1818 hadn't come along. :D

SoonerBorn68
8/9/2008, 05:35 PM

John McCain wasn't my first, second, or third choice for president. I'm opting for the Democratic strategy of "Anyone but Obama".

John McCain could have screwed Obama's white grandmother & I'd still vote for him.

8/9/2008, 05:38 PM
It's not a sin when you cop to it!Almost got it. It's not a lie when you don't lie.

olevetonahill
8/9/2008, 05:39 PM
You're absolutely right. It's not like the thread would have been a civil, reasoned discussion if jlew1818 hadn't come along. :D

Tru Dat Bro
Like said Yall Libs aint changing My Mind and Im not gonna be able to change Yalls so Lets talk about , Drankin and Sex and Other good stuff :D

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:51 PM
Almost got it. It's not a lie when you don't lie.

Okay, so what McCain did was wrong, but what Edwards did was wronger? It's funny how the party of "right and wrong" and "personal responsibility" and "no excuses" finds shades of gray when one of their own is involved.

When are politicians going to learn that lying about something doing something is always going to get you in more trouble than doing it in the first place? Do they really think that nobody is going to find out the truth?

And for the record, I do think Edwards is a much bigger slimy dickweasel than McCain in this case, although McCain is as much of a slimy dickweasel as any other politician.

mdklatt
8/9/2008, 05:53 PM
Forget all the partisan crap--the real thing we should be discussing is, "OMFG, the National Enquirer wasn't just making **** up?" I think that might be a sign of the apocalypse. Discuss.

8/9/2008, 06:21 PM
1)Okay, so what McCain did was wrong, but what Edwards did was wronger? It's funny how the party of "right and wrong" and "personal responsibility" and "no excuses" finds shades of gray when one of their own is involved.

2)When are politicians going to learn that lying about something doing something is always going to get you in more trouble than doing it in the first place? Do they really think that nobody is going to find out the truth?

3)And for the record, I do think Edwards is a much bigger slimy dickweasel than McCain in this case, although McCain is as much of a slimy dickweasel as any other politician.1)that's downright silly, or intentionally wrong. Who said anyone excused McCain for his infidelity? 2)ONE OF THE FEW TIMES WE AGREE 3) WOW, we agree again. McCain was tied for my 5th choice among the 7 Rep. candidates.

swardboy
8/9/2008, 06:47 PM
And on a new front, the hussie refuses to submit her child to a paternity test now....

SoonerBorn68
8/9/2008, 06:51 PM
I wonder how much hush money she received?

Okla-homey
8/9/2008, 06:55 PM
If I had his money the ho would have been a lot hotter looking.

Just sayin.

fer shur. That dame looks like that horse-faced broad Prince Charles stepped-out on Princess Diana for.

I bet he's baby daddy. If not, that means she was doing two d00ds while she was his squeeze. If so, that's some ghetto-fabulous/trailer park Springer-esque doins right there.

Frozen Sooner
8/9/2008, 07:19 PM
Forget all the partisan crap--the real thing we should be discussing is, "OMFG, the National Enquirer wasn't just making **** up?" I think that might be a sign of the apocalypse. Discuss.

Yeah, my bad on that.

AlbqSooner
8/9/2008, 07:23 PM
At present Edwards says,
"With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then."
Yeah, so why is he sleazing around her hotel room in July 2008 and denying it when initially confronted?

When JSM admitted his past indiscretions he said it was over and done and it seems that it is.

Edwards, on the other hand, admits to lying but can't finish his apology without another lie being inserted.

The boy would climb a tree to tell a lie when he COULD stay on the ground and tell the truth.

Politics aside, I could not support this pant load for ANY position of trust.
THAT is why I sincerely hope he is done.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2008, 10:58 PM
I can't believe his wife is giving him a pass. His a$$ would so be at the curb if I were a woman. Check that, if it were me, Mrs. THA's response would be that my a$$ would be at the curb so fast... I don't get it, and that lady was butt ugly! Mrs. THA said he must have been wearing those goggles Bill Clinton had (or may still have...)

soonersn20xx
8/10/2008, 12:04 AM
Considering she has terminal cancer, I could understand why bother leaving him at this point.

But whether or not John Edwards is the father of her child is irrelevant in regards to the political damage he's received.........so if he has paid her hush money to avoid the paternity test, it was a wasted investment.