PDA

View Full Version : Next Years O-line

adoniijahsooner
8/8/2008, 05:17 PM
Am i the only one concerned about next years 0-line? I know we'll have sam, murray, brown, and some really good recievers, but will we see the struggles we saw in 2005.

stoopified
8/8/2008, 07:35 PM
Well we will have Simmons and Trent Williams back as a foundation.I know what you are saying though.Supposedly we are very deep and IF the backups get signifigant pplaying time(beyond just Simmons and Williams) we could be in OK shape in '09.Truth be told I can't REALLY concern myself with '09 until '08 is over.

goingoneight
8/8/2008, 08:34 PM
If we go 14-0 and win the MNC... I'll let 8-4 slide. Just sayin'.

sooner59
8/8/2008, 10:38 PM
Agreed. Although, I would rather reload then rebuild.

JLEW1818
8/8/2008, 11:44 PM
If we go 14-0 and win the MNC... I'll let 8-4 slide. Just sayin'.

ABSOLUTELY

RedstickSooner
8/9/2008, 01:56 AM
I avoided opening this thread for a while, simply because it's a topic I'd rather not think about.

Yeah, sure, if we go 14-0, I don't give a rat's patoot if we then drop to 8-4.

But the flip side of that is... Man, if we've got 5 seniors on the O-line, we sure as hell *BETTER* go 14-0.

However, I'd rather not say that out loud. Or think it too clearly. Don't want to jinx us... And no matter how good the team, the football gods have been against us of late. How else can one explain 2004? And, yeah, you can make all the excuses you want -- I was there in Miami (as were many of us), and I was 98% confident we were gonna win that game.

And I *still* say that we would've won 7 games of 10, had we played 'em.

Anyhow. I hate to think too much about next year's line.

illinisooner
8/9/2008, 05:39 PM
Next year's line will be fine, the backups were all highly recruited (unlike most of the 05 group) and the coaching staff raves about them.

starclassic tama
8/9/2008, 05:57 PM
I avoided opening this thread for a while, simply because it's a topic I'd rather not think about.

Yeah, sure, if we go 14-0, I don't give a rat's patoot if we then drop to 8-4.

But the flip side of that is... Man, if we've got 5 seniors on the O-line, we sure as hell *BETTER* go 14-0.

However, I'd rather not say that out loud. Or think it too clearly. Don't want to jinx us... And no matter how good the team, the football gods have been against us of late. How else can one explain 2004? And, yeah, you can make all the excuses you want -- I was there in Miami (as were many of us), and I was 98% confident we were gonna win that game.

And I *still* say that we would've won 7 games of 10, had we played 'em.

Anyhow. I hate to think too much about next year's line.

what a ridiculous post. have you ever watched a game of football? we were thoroughly embarassed by a clearly superior USC team.

rainiersooner
8/10/2008, 02:16 PM
Well, you would admit that we didn't play to our potential, right? It stands to reason that if we had played to or beyond our potential, and they played below their potential, we might actually get some Ws in a series against them: ergo, it's not that ridiculous of a post. Why are we talking about that game??

Big John
8/10/2008, 05:42 PM
I think OU's O-line might look something like this. The right side should be solid with Trent Williams and Brian Simmons both entering their senior years with some experience. I also think since their's an abundance of good tackles that Stephen Good will move to left guard because he's just too talented to keep off the field; much like Robinson did after his true freshman season. The coaches have been impressed by Cory Brandon and Donald Stephenson, so I think the better of the two will start at left tackle, with Brandon being the most likely candidate with more experience. I also wouldn't be surprised to see LSU transfer Jarvis Jones make an impact next year. Jason Hannan and Ben Habern were both highly sought-after recruits coming out of high school and it should be interesting to see who wins out next off-season. I would put my money on the more mature Hannan though to replace Cooper.

LT: Cory Brandon (JR)
Donald Stephenson (SO)
LG: Stephen Good (FR or SO)
Kody Cooke (SO)
C: Jason Hannan (SO)
Ben Habern (FR)
RG: Brian Simmons (SR)
Alex Williams (SO)
RT: Trent Williams (SR)
Jarvis Jones (SO)

This unit won't be as experienced as the 2008 version, but they still have the potential to be one of the better groups in the Big XII in 2009. This may be one of the more talented groups Stoops will put out there, but I would expect a slight drop-off from this current O-line.