PDA

View Full Version : Call out the militia!!! Russia has invaded Georgia!!!

Jerk
8/8/2008, 02:25 PM
What's the fastest way there? I-40 East or I-20?

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2008, 02:31 PM
What's the fastest way there? I-40 East or I-20?

It depends. Is it overcast?

BigRedJed
8/8/2008, 02:31 PM
http://www.spideysenses.com/wp-content/wolverines.jpg

BigRedJed
8/8/2008, 02:32 PM
http://lonelymachines.org/red_dawn/red_dawn22.png

soonersn20xx
8/8/2008, 02:34 PM
I don't even like the bulldogs, so why would I care about Georgia. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
8/8/2008, 02:56 PM
At least its non-muslims v. non-muslims. hey, that's a positive development.

I wonder if they ever got all the nukes out of the former Georgian SSR? if not, this could get wild.

Flagstaffsooner
8/8/2008, 03:16 PM
Pre season #1 curse!

JohnnyMack
8/8/2008, 03:29 PM
Good timing, right when everyone is paying attention to Beijing, then whammo! All your base are belong to us.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 03:32 PM
Good timing, right when everyone is paying attention to Beijing, then whammo! All your base are belong to us.

...and since a bunch of us are going to be invading Alaska for their riches, our strength will be even more diluted.

JohnnyMack
8/8/2008, 03:46 PM
Fetch me some gold while you're up there.

Hamhock
8/8/2008, 03:53 PM
Fetch me some gold while you're up there.

and fresh salmon.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 03:55 PM
You guys want gold and salmon better grab a gun and join the invasion force.

JohnnyMack
8/8/2008, 03:56 PM
and fresh salmon.

Go shoot some salmon out of a stream with a bow and arrow.

picasso
8/8/2008, 03:57 PM
screw that, I'm goin ice truckin.

soonersn20xx
8/8/2008, 03:58 PM
Hey, I'm gonna go on that show BlackGold then.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 03:59 PM
screw that, I'm goin ice truckin.

Not me, I don't mind shootin Alaskans and getting shot at by them, but driving a truck on the ice? No sir!

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2008, 04:00 PM
For the record, I'm an isolationist and there's absolutely ZERO reason for us to get involved in a territorial dispute between Georgia and Russia. Having said that though, we ought to stand firmly on the side of Georgia. They've been a good ally to us in Iraq and they deserve our support.

I still think it likely we'll end up having to fight the Russians at some point.

Hamhock
8/8/2008, 04:06 PM
Go shoot some salmon out of a stream with a bow and arrow.

in all seriousness, you haven't had fun until you been bowfishing on an airboat in the Louisiana marsh.

Okla-homey
8/8/2008, 04:12 PM
For the record, I'm an isolationist and there's absolutely ZERO reason for us to get involved in a territorial dispute between Georgia and Russia. Having said that though, we ought to stand firmly on the side of Georgia. They've been a good ally to us in Iraq and they deserve our support.

I still think it likely some brave Americans, (excluding myself of course because I'm skeered to shoulder a musket and I break out if I miss my daily bath in rosewater,) end up having to fight the Russians at some point.

fixed it!;)

picasso
8/8/2008, 04:14 PM
in all seriousness, you haven't had fun until you been bowfishing on an airboat in the Louisiana marsh, with a guide named Skeeter Lemoine who drools and says you have a purdy moufth..

fixed.

Flagstaffsooner
8/8/2008, 04:38 PM
Sic'em and I have been telling you guys for years that the Ivan Shermansonovitch is evil.

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 07:14 PM
You freaking Libs always go for the little guy...

Sheeeeezzz....

GO RUSSIA ! ! !

Blue
8/9/2008, 03:37 AM
This could easily become a big deal. With the U.S similating naval blockades with France and Britain off the coast and sending two carrier groups to the Persian Gulf to possibly cut off Irans benzine and refined product imports (Which is an act of war). Kuwait sounding war alarms.

Could get interesting.

Jerk
8/9/2008, 08:31 PM
From a Georgian TV website translated to English:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/scorched_black/various%20misc/georgiantv.jpg

JohnnyMack
8/10/2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1043185/The-Pipeline-War-Russian-bear-goes-Wests-jugular.html

Russians targeting major oil pipeline.

SoonerProphet
8/10/2008, 04:33 PM
Huge miscalculation from the leaders of the Rose Revolution.

aurorasooner
8/10/2008, 05:50 PM
I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. We see our role as essentially defensive in nature. While our armies are advancing so fast and everyone's knocking themselves out to be heroes, we are holding ourselves in reserve in case the Georgians mount a counteroffensive which threatens Moscow... or maybe even New York. Then we can move in and stop them. Woof Woof
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2339/screenshot015vs1.jpg

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2008, 06:03 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2339/screenshot015vs1.jpg

Oddball spek.

Jerk
8/11/2008, 12:21 PM
I bet all of that reactive armor wouldn't do sh*t to a Javelin missile. We need a C-17 landing over full of them, now.

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2008, 01:12 PM
Russian forces took Georgias 2nd largest military base. The one where US special forces were training at just several weeks ago. Without a doubt Putin is after that pipeline that starts in Baku and ends at a terminal on the black sea. If Russia gets ahold of that, it will be bad news for Europe this winter.

I just got this email from a person I know in Russia:

Sent: 11 August 2008 13:14
To:
Subject: South Ocetia

Dear Colleagues,

The tragedy in South Ocetia deeply touched all of us in Russia. We have been listening and watching TV news all the time for last two days.

But when I was watching the EuroNews yesterday I noticed that the events introduced by some European reporters were not quiet corresponding to the reality. So I think it is worthwhile to draw your attention to the events in South Ocetia and to explain some points.

First, background.

South Ocetia as well as Abhasia historically was small independent state that decided to join the Russian Empire in the middle of 19th century.

In the years of 1922-24 when the Soviet Union was launched as a political structure there were formed several united republics such as Russia, Ukraine , Byelorussia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and others.

Georgia itself was small enough in terms of the territory to become a republic. But Stalin was from Georgia, and insisted on joining Abhasia, Adjaria and Southern part of Ocetia to Georgia to make it bigger to be a republic.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, Mr. Eltsin and his colleagues from Ukraine and Byelorussia agreed to form independent states within the existing boarders instead of the Soviet republics. However, peoples of many regions disagreed to that. They held referendums and decided to form their own independent states. South and Northern parts of Ocetia once artificially divided wanted to be united again. South Ocetia and Abhasia did not want to be under Georgia.

Now President of Georgia is trying to force them to be quiet and to keep their land under supervision of Georgia. His military forces bombed and used tanks against civilians. Many people including children were brutally killed. Towns and villages completely destroyed.

Government of South Ocetia has asked the Russian Government to help and defend their population.
The whole problem is that the new states born on the ruins of the Soviet Union were clipped too fast and without paying any attention to the will of the people of those regions.

On behalf of ICP team
Elena
General director

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 01:30 PM
I predict we sternly admonish the Russians, shake our fingers at them and ask them to stop being mean and that's about it. No way we get involved in this.

BigRedJed
8/11/2008, 01:42 PM
Heh. "...decided to join the Russian Empire in the middle of 19th century..."

Blue
8/11/2008, 01:55 PM
I predict we sternly admonish the Russians, shake our fingers at them and ask them to stop being mean and that's about it. No way we get involved in this.

I bet it doesn't make our other allies in the region(Ukraine) feel to good about us, "Having their back." It sets a dangerous precedent but I agree we shouldn't get involved. I'm just glad they weren't admitted to NATO in the last year. Then we'd have a dilemma.

What was Georgia thinking? A part of me thinks it might have been a test to see Russias resolve with Isreal and the USA behind the scenes. Maybe a distraction from an Isreal attack on Irans nuclear plants?

Anybody else hear anything about "Operation Brimstone" off the east coast? Apparently we sent two additional carrier groups to the Persian Gulf where we already have a couple to maybe blockade iranian imports of Benzine and refined petroleum. Or they're being sent just in case Isreal hits Iran and all hell breaks loose?

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2008, 02:01 PM
I bet it doesn't make our other allies in the region(Ukraine) feel to good about us, "Having their back." It sets a dangerous precedent but I agree we shouldn't get involved. I'm just glad they weren't admitted to NATO in the last year. Then we'd have a dilemma.

What was Georgia thinking? A part of me thinks it might have been a test to see Russias resolve with Isreal and the USA behind the scenes. Maybe a distraction from an Isreal attack on Irans nuclear plants?

Anybody else hear anything about "Operation Brimstone" off the east coast? Apparently we sent two additional carrier groups to the Persian Gulf where we already have a couple to maybe blockade iranian imports of Benzine and refined petroleum. Or they're being sent just in case Isreal hits Iran and all hell breaks loose?My thoughts egzackly.

Sooner_Havok
8/11/2008, 02:14 PM
All I know is, we are making another enemy out of a friend right now. Georgia was very friendly to the west, hell, they had troops in Iraq. I guarantee the west's lack of support is not going over well over there right now.

But, what can we do? We are already spread thin as it is, if a two theater war is not a good idea, what is a three theater war with a global power?

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2008, 02:17 PM
All I know is, we are making another enemy out of a friend right now. Georgia was very friendly to the west, hell, they had troops in Iraq. I guarantee the west's lack of support is not going over well over there right now.

But, what can we do? We are already spread thin as it is, if a two theater war is not a good idea, what is a three theater war with a global power?http://www.nd.edu/%7Edlindley/handouts/Dr%20S%20kongdrop.jpg

King Crimson
8/11/2008, 02:18 PM
Russian forces took Georgias 2nd largest military base. The one where US special forces were training at just several weeks ago. Without a doubt Putin is after that pipeline that starts in Baku and ends at a terminal on the black sea. If Russia gets ahold of that, it will be bad news for Europe this winter.

Baku-Ceyhan. it's a very strategic exit from the massive oil deposits in the South Caspian.

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Its one of the biggest pipelines that isn't directly or in-directly controlled by the KGB, err, I mean Pootie and friends.

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2008, 02:51 PM
Isn't that pipeline shut down?

SoonerProphet
8/11/2008, 02:56 PM
I think members of the Kurdish PKK have shut it down in the past.

Nice article from The National Interest.
http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=19538

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 03:05 PM
Nice article from The National Interest.
http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=19538

Georgia has sparked a war by misplaying a geopolitical game of chicken with Moscow over two insignificant territories, Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

The issue is not whether all these governments had the legal right to act as they did. The question is whether it was prudent for them to do so. Living next to the Russian bear might not be pleasant, but it is a reality for numerous countries.

Don't poke the bear.

SoonerProphet
8/11/2008, 03:10 PM
I'm quite certain that Putin made it clear to the Georgian nationalists about what would happen if they infringed on Ossetian autonomy.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.orgs.okstate.edu/zgss/images/SBMaxJab.jpg