PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Mike Reed?

OU_Sooners75
8/8/2008, 02:38 AM
What is the scoop on the reason he is not going to be in a Sooner uniform this year?

Frozen Sooner
8/8/2008, 02:46 AM
Kid's got a lot going on in his life where football just isn't as important. His priorities are straight.

OU_Sooners75
8/8/2008, 02:58 AM
Kid's got a lot going on in his life where football just isn't as important. His priorities are straight.

Last I heard he was trying to balance wife and kid with football. So he chose the family life instead? If so, that is good for him. And I wish him the best of luck.

To bad the NCAA wouldn't be a little more lienant to student athletes with families and allow them a little more working time.

NormanPride
8/8/2008, 09:41 AM
No kidding. This is an instance where the NCAA could really help shape a young man's life and give back to the people they rely on for their livelihood.

Fraggle145
8/8/2008, 09:58 AM
Venables indicated Balogun's playing time this season is still to be determined. Then Venables said, "I'll say this: Up to this point, it's not even close to the comparison of the last junior college guy that we signed. And we have had great success with junior college players over the years. And so I know that some people, because our latest (junior college) experiment didn't go like we all would have liked, are a little bit skeptical. I feel like there is a reason to be excited."

So then what is this all about? seems kinda ****ty to kick a man when he is down, and is Reed still on the team or is he done?

SoCal
8/8/2008, 10:45 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3184300/1198385840

BigDeezy
8/8/2008, 11:54 AM
The last I heard he was going to try and get his grades up so he could transfer to a smaller school to play football. Stoops acknowledged before last spring that he was no longer on the team, and would try other options.

Rhino
8/8/2008, 12:38 PM
I don't see what the big deal is with Venables' quote.

Reed, regardless of his family situation, came in very out-of-shape and overweight - like 30 lbs. overweight. He was slow to pick up things, and then his family situation put football to halt before the season started.

Contrast that with Balogun, who is getting a lot of raves from the coaches, in great shape, picking things up and doing everything he's asked.

I'd say the quote was more about singing the praises of Balogun than kicking Reed. And I'd argue that Venables didn't really say anything bad about Reed -- all he really said was it "didn't go like we all would have liked".

Fraggle145
8/8/2008, 01:04 PM
I don't see what the big deal is with Venables' quote.

Reed, regardless of his family situation, came in very out-of-shape and overweight - like 30 lbs. overweight. He was slow to pick up things, and then his family situation put football to halt before the season started.

Contrast that with Balogun, who is getting a lot of raves from the coaches, in great shape, picking things up and doing everything he's asked.

I'd say the quote was more about singing the praises of Balogun than kicking Reed. And I'd argue that Venables didn't really say anything bad about Reed -- all he really said was it "didn't go like we all would have liked".

I for some reason thought he was still on the team, which i thought would be kinda crappy if you heard your coach saying that if you were still on the team.

And I thought it was kind of weird that he referred to him as "the last junior college guy we signed." Anyway, its not that big of a deal glad Reed is moving forward with his life in a positive way.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/8/2008, 02:00 PM
But you guys didn't read the article where BV said, "Mike Reed is a bad person and smashes puppies. He's a crappy linebacker and I'm pretty sure he's the Zodiac killer. He makes evil ninjas look like candystripers and I'm pretty sure he eats his boogers, too. Yeah, I'm positive about that."

So don't be so quick to rush to judgment, Soonerfans.

I hope his family is okay.

PLaw
8/8/2008, 04:30 PM
No kidding. This is an instance where the NCAA could really help shape a young man's life and give back to the people they rely on for their livelihood.

Especially, considering his wife's health issues. I still say Boz had it RIGHT!

BOOMER

PLaw
8/8/2008, 04:38 PM
So then what is this all about? seems kinda ****ty to kick a man when he is down, and is Reed still on the team or is he done?

I disagree. Venables' statement merely noted that MR didn't work out. It's got to be disappointing when things don't go as planned.

It's tough enough taking care of young child, let alone trying to be a full time student, Div. 1 athlete, and primary care giver for a spouse with a major medical problem. Oh yeah, add in trying to make a living for the family because the NCAA turns it's head to individual cases where there is truly a need.

BOOMER

tulsaoilerfan
8/8/2008, 08:50 PM

It's the NCAA; all they care about is making $ and making sure that a kid doesn't get a free Big mac from a booster

Frozen Sooner
8/8/2008, 09:28 PM
Lest we get TOO carried away in NCAA hate, they made some exceptions for Mike Reed to help him and his family. The simple fact of the matter was that he made some life choices that were incompatible with playing college football. I'm not being critical-he made the right choice and got his priorities straight.

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 10:06 PM
I'm proud of anyone who realizes they need to put their Dreams aside to help their Family. It's a tough thing to do sometimes. Especially if you have Family telling you not to do it and that they will help you through it. I find it's harder on me to take the help sometimes as I begin to question my every move as to avoid looking like I'm taking advantage of the help. I know you should just take the help and move on but doing it is just hard for some people.

Kudos to MR.

starclassic tama
8/9/2008, 02:00 PM
http://www.reallynatural.com/archives/1578051177.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg