PDA

View Full Version : KSU gives Prince 5 year extension......

Salt City Sooner
8/7/2008, 11:43 PM
have to say I'm a bit surprised at this. The guy felt backed into a corner enough to take 19 JUCO's this year:

Kansas State coach Ron Prince has agreed to a five-year contract through the 2012 season, the school announced Thursday.

Prince's base salary will be $143,000 with a total guaranteed package of $1.1 million, which includes compensation from endorsements and personal appearances, the university said Thursday. Prince could also earn up to an additional $950,000 per year in performance-based incentives.

Prince has a 12-13 record over his first two two seasons at K-State, including a 5-7 record last season.

"We are pleased with the direction of our football program under the leadership of Ron," Kansas State athletics director Bob Krause said. "He has a plan in place and is right on course with that plan."

The Wildcats lost in the Texas Bowl to Rutgers in his first season and stumbled down the stretch in 2007, losing their last four games after starting the season 5-3.

Kansas State opens its season Aug. 30 against North Texas.

"I am very appreciative of the commitment that the university has shown to our organization," Prince said in a statement. "The administration has proven its long-term commitment to us as a program as evident in the current facility expansion and other projects that are essential for sustained success.

"We feel that we are on schedule with our plan of building a fast, tough, strong and disciplined program and are looking forward to this season and many seasons to come."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3523817

OU-HSV
8/7/2008, 11:45 PM
Saw a blurb about this last night on t.v. I'm surprised mainly because of his 12-13 record. I mean seriously, that's stupid. Yeah he upset texas, but let's improve that record before you extend. Wow

NormanPride
8/8/2008, 09:42 AM
Those JUCOs are going to kill their already pathetic graduation rating.

fadada1
8/8/2008, 09:51 AM
Those JUCOs are going to kill their already pathetic graduation rating.

there was one?

royalfan5
8/8/2008, 10:20 AM
Contract extensions are virtually meaningless and are merely a recruiting prop. It's all about maintaining the appreance that the coach and school are committed to the program.

Scott D
8/8/2008, 01:29 PM
Saw a blurb about this last night on t.v. I'm surprised mainly because of his 12-13 record. I mean seriously, that's stupid. Yeah he upset texas, but let's improve that record before you extend. Wow

well with any consistency from Josh Freeman, and that record is a lot better. Regardless, they'll be dangerous for OU this year.

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/8/2008, 01:48 PM
well with any consistency from Josh Freeman, and that record is a lot better. Regardless, they'll be dangerous for OU this year.

Until Freeman shows he can be consistent, I am not sure that the Conference has much to worry about. The victories over Saxet came at the expense of turnovers and special teams play. The Prince extension is good news for everyone, except KSU.

Scott D
8/8/2008, 02:01 PM
well the danger is in which Freeman shows up, if it's the one that fumbles and throws interceptions, not so dangerous. If it's the one that can make his passes and plays with his legs, plenty dangerous.

OU-HSV
8/8/2008, 02:14 PM

I'm not saying we shouldn't take them serious, just saying I'm a little surprised they'd extend. But it's just an extension I guess...it can and probably will be broken if they don't start improving asap.
Guess we'll know how good Freeman is in the next several weeks.

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/8/2008, 06:30 PM
well the danger is in which Freeman shows up, if it's the one that fumbles and throws interceptions, not so dangerous. If it's the one that can make his passes and plays with his legs, plenty dangerous.

I guess my question is: Have you seen the one that can make his passes and plays with his legs? Not having Jordy Nelson on the field with seriously diminish his ability this year IMO. Couple this with the fact that he is the "self-proclaimed" best QB in the BIG XII. I wish no success for him or his program.

Makes you wonder if he is a sheep aggie in wheat aggie clothing?

Cam
8/8/2008, 07:30 PM
I read a piece in the Wichita paper today and it appears that there's a ton of outs for both sides in the contract. One of which was the Pres of the school leaving, which he's doing at the end of the year. The 5 years is just window dressing IMO.

Flagstaffsooner
8/8/2008, 08:09 PM
Snyder is crappin in his Depends.

RedstickSooner
8/9/2008, 02:05 AM
That's totally awesome.

College coach contracts have definitely gone a bit insane. Just look at Weiss, and the way Neuter Lame rushed to extend & enrich his contract... Even though he has made Ty seem like an inspired genius in comparison.

It's definitely an inflationary market, and a lot of programs have mistaken salary bloat for value... As if by boosting how much you pay your coach, you can also boost how well they do their job.

For coaches, it's a great bubble while it lasts.

Jacie
8/10/2008, 02:49 PM
They can also let him go if he insists on everyone calling him the symbol for a man and a woman.

Flying Scotsman
8/10/2008, 05:33 PM
Tonight we're going to party like it's 1999...

badger
8/10/2008, 07:11 PM
Keeping Prince totally destroys everything Bill Snyder built, but then again, would anyone else want to coach in a half empty splinter-on-your-butt stadium?

Don't forget your power towel! Bring it to every game. :D