PDA

View Full Version : OU adds transfer lineman from LSU (Jarvis Jones)

Fraggle145
8/7/2008, 09:41 PM
Linky:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-158/Oklahoma-adds-transfer-lineman-from-LSU.html?post=true

Oklahoma adds transfer lineman from LSU

August 7, 2008 9:22 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Former LSU offensive lineman Jarvis Jones has transferred to Oklahoma and will join the Sooner program, OU coach Bob Stoops said.

The 6-foot-7, 294-pound Jones will be eligible to compete for the Sooners in the 2009 season.

"Jarivs is a talented guy who we recruited when he was in high school," Stoops said. "We're excited he has joined the team."

Jones played left tackle and right guard for the national champion Tigers last season, playing 63 plays. His most extensive action was an 18-play outing against Louisiana Tech.

His arrival is important for the Sooners because all five projected starters - tackles Phil Loadholt and Branndon Braxton, guards Brandon Walker and Duke Robinson and center Jon Cooper - are seniors this season.

Jones is originally from Rosenburg, Texas, and Lamar Consolidated High School. He was a member of the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 recruiting list in 2006.

Anyone know what the story is here?

Collier11
8/7/2008, 09:54 PM
He is a texas kid that we recruited out of HS, for whatever reason he wasnt happy and we had a need on the O-line next yr where he will be a soph I believe, this is a big get IMO. He played in 7 games as a true frosh I believe

Paperclip
8/7/2008, 09:55 PM
I know something bad enough happened for Les to kick him off the team. Hopefully it was just laziness and not something criminal.

Collier11
8/7/2008, 09:57 PM
Found this, doesnt say a lot but from the tone it he may have gotten a bad attitude after being beaten out, just speculation though

http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/2008/07/jarvis_jones_dismissed.html

JLEW1818
8/7/2008, 09:59 PM
Bring him on.

Octavian
8/7/2008, 10:16 PM
more than happy to have him...welcome to Norman.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/7/2008, 10:43 PM
I choose to believe he bitch slapped Les Miles.

Because who doesn't want to bitch slap Les Miles?

Welcome to Norman, brother.

soonersn20xx
8/7/2008, 10:50 PM
The kid seems to have alot of potential, I just hope nothing happens negatively.

OU-HSV
8/7/2008, 11:22 PM
I recognize his name...that's all I got though

Harry Beanbag
8/7/2008, 11:41 PM
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=45512&sport=1

sooner94
8/8/2008, 12:16 AM
Because Les Miles is a ********* and Bob Stoops is Bob Stoops. Isn't it obvious?

Rhino
8/8/2008, 01:20 AM
From what I've heard, he got into some fights in practice and had some class attendance issues.

Hopefully he makes the most of his second chance.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 01:23 AM
We end up losing Jarboe but picking up Jarvis Jones.

I'll take that.

Widescreen
8/8/2008, 01:27 AM
Jarboe for JarJo. Excellent.

Fraggle145
8/8/2008, 02:15 AM
We need OL more than WR next year IMO... so I was HPY. Sorry needed another capital letter abbreviation...

OU_Sooners75
8/8/2008, 03:06 AM
Next Year's starting OLine will probably be more talented than this years. No offense to this year's group.

OT Trent Williams 6-5 308
OG Stephen Good 6-5 305
C Jason Hannan 6-3 283
OG Kody Cooke 6-4 291
OT Jarvis Jones 6-7 294

Of Course there are more then this, but this line looks to be a beast when it coems to overall talent.

Fraggle145
8/8/2008, 03:39 AM
Next Year's starting OLine will probably be more talented than this years. No offense to this year's group.

OG Stephen Good 6-5 305
C Jason Hannan 6-3 283
OG Kody Cooke 6-4 291
OT Jarvis Jones 6-7 294

Of Course there are more then this, but this line looks to be a beast when it coems to overall talent.

Agreed they look good, but our entire starting line this year is seniors... lemme put it this way I am never opposed to creating line depth especially when it has playing experience.

RedstickSooner
8/8/2008, 07:10 AM
From what I've heard, he got into some fights in practice and had some class attendance issues.

Hopefully he makes the most of his second chance.

He had problems going to LSU classes? :eek:

TexasLidig8r
8/8/2008, 08:43 AM
Wonder what the real story is... especially since Lester the Molester does not exactly have a reputation for kicking people out of the program.. hell.. Perriliar had to practically rape a 95 year old, invalid grandmother before Lester booted him.

BillyBall
8/8/2008, 08:48 AM
It's amazing how he got the boot so quickly when Ryan Perrilloux was practically on the FBI's most wanted list before he got dropped.

Socrefbek
8/8/2008, 09:22 AM
It's amazing how he got the boot so quickly when Ryan Perrilloux was practically on the FBI's most wanted list before he got dropped.

It's because Jarvis Jones is BLACK!! :eek:

http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/racecard.jpg

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 09:25 AM
So was Perrilloux.

JLEW1818
8/8/2008, 09:33 AM
poor les hehe

trey
8/8/2008, 09:33 AM
it seems like just yesterday that everyone on this board was criticizing les for the players that he allows on his team. "i'm so glad we have bob, he would never let that happen at ou, blah blah blah". can we please stop with the "holier than thou" attitude.

great job bob on getting us a player that will hopefully help us win games. welcome jarvis, norman is a great place to be!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/8/2008, 10:14 AM

OG Stephen Good 6-5 305
C Jason Hannan 6-3 283
OG Kody Cooke 6-4 291
OT Jarvis Jones 6-7 294

Gotta disagree. First, we're losing a 2-time All American in Duke. And losing 4years of leadership/knowledge with Cooper at center where the line calls are made is huge. Loadholt's sheer mass will be hard to replace in the run game, though the next left tackle will probably be slightly more athletic. (I still have visions of speedy WVU ends ripping around our tackles like they weren't there.) And these guys are going to have to prove on the right side of the line that they can be as consistent as Walker and Braxton. (Though granted, Trent does rotate in frequently with Braxton, so there will be some consistency there.)

Anyway, I'd be surprised if either Cooke or Good started. And I think Jones projects better as a guard given our talent at tackle. I think you're looking at a starting five of:

OT - Cory Brandon 6-7 308
OG - Brian Simmons 6-5 304
C - Jason Hannan 6-3 283
OG - Jarvis Jones 6-7 294
OT - Trent Williams 6-5 308

And really, that's giving Jarvis the benefit of the doubt. He'll have to go to class and not be disruptive to the team, for one thing. But also remember the coaches were talking up Donald Stephenson frequently before his injury last Fall, so they may be compelled to find a place for him. At tackle I just don't see Jarvis Jones beating out either Williams or Brandon. (Merv Johnson more than once has stated Brandon is going to be a star at the position. I'll take his word for it.)

JMHO...

IronHorseSooner
8/8/2008, 11:03 AM
There will be a perception both nationally and to the more casual Sooner fan that next year's team will not be as good because so much talent will be gone, especially on the line. By looking at this, it looks as if the talent is there, and some of the guys (Williams, Simmons, and Brandon, in particular), have been in the program for a while and have had differing degrees of playing time. As far as heights and weights go, they seemed to be balanced, and Hannan is very similar in size/build as Coop.

shaun4411
8/8/2008, 11:17 AM
AND good has the making of a giant and anchor. he'll be like duke. he'll probably get a penalty for ripping a DT's eye out.

MojoRisen
8/8/2008, 12:01 PM
Hannan may move to Guard if Ben Habbern is what he is all cut out too be...

Rhino
8/8/2008, 01:28 PM
LT: Jones, Brandon, Stephenson
LG: Stephenson, Habern, Evans
OC: Hannan, Habern, Lepak
RG: Simmons, A.Williams, Cooke
RT: T.Williams, Good, Aladenoye

soonerboy_odanorth
8/8/2008, 01:44 PM
LT: Jones, Brandon, Stephenson
LG: Stephenson, Habern, Evans
OC: Hannan, Habern, Lepak
RG: Simmons, A.Williams, Cooke
RT: T.Williams, Good, Aladenoye

Really? Is Jones really that highly thought of? Has Brandon taken a step back or not developed as expected? I'm curious about your opinion or any scuttle you may have heard...

Rhino
8/8/2008, 01:59 PM
It's just a projection. Everything I've heard is about Brandon has been good.

I expect Jones, Brandon and Stephenson to compete for that left tackle slot and one of the three will move inside to guard. There's been rumblings that Stephenson will eventually be the guy to move inside.

Jones was highly ranked coming out of high school and as a true frosh backed up a second-team all-SEC left tackle. But Jones and Brandon have about the same amount of game experience, so I don't think there's really a clear cut guy there.

LSUdeek
8/8/2008, 02:43 PM

This situation ought to put to bed the frequent accusations of 'Miles runs a loose ship' around here, but it might just be wishful thinking on my part based on the responses so far in this thread.

LSUdeek
8/8/2008, 02:44 PM

Looks like someone forgot OU has a starting offensive lineman that did not have academic credentials to get into LSU. :confused:

OKLA21FAN
8/8/2008, 02:53 PM
This situation ought to put to bed the frequent accusations of 'Miles runs a loose ship' around here, but it might just be wishful thinking on my part based on the responses so far in this thread.

or it could be that LerErRip has a bit more history than a couple of season feeding a Tiger. :pop:

Rhino
8/8/2008, 04:01 PM
This situation ought to put to bed the frequent accusations of 'Miles runs a loose ship' around here, but it might just be wishful thinking on my part based on the responses so far in this thread. At OSU, he ran a loose ship. You can't debate that. You could try, but you would lose.

I'm not as familiar with LSU player conduct outside of Perriloux. In that case, Miles didn't act any differently than any other coach in Division I football.

Looks like someone forgot OU has a starting offensive lineman that did not have academic credentials to get into any SEC school. Fixed.

VA Sooner
8/8/2008, 09:25 PM
Good addition to the O-line in my opinion. I watched him in several LSU games last year (to size up OU's competition) and he was quick off the line. We'll see if sitting out 1 year will settle him down and not blow a chance for a brilliant NFL careeer.

tulsaoilerfan
8/8/2008, 11:04 PM

They have classes at LSU? :pop:

LSUdeek
8/9/2008, 01:52 PM
At OSU, he ran a loose ship. You can't debate that. You could try, but you would lose.

I won't try. I've stated before that compromises have to be made at middle tier programs in order to have winning seasons and get yourself noticed. I believe that immediately once he got to LSU that changed though.

Bob was lucky enough to be able to go from DC at UF to HC at a top program. Miles had to earn his stripes and simply isn't putting up with any crap at LSU. We have had serious issues with offensive linemen (Holmes & Allen transferred, Kyle Anderson and Zhamal Thomas got kicked off the team for fighting and stealing, and Loadholt couldn't get in.) For Miles to kick off the only upperclassman backup on the offensive line, that's saying something.

We have All-SEC talent at the 1s, but every single backup player with the exception of Ryan Miller hasn't seen any action with all of the offensive line attrition that has gone on over the past 2 seasons.

soonerfan28
8/9/2008, 02:07 PM
I would trade Britt Mitchell for this guy,so maybe Britt Mitchell's departure won't hurt future depth and Hannan and Habern will be one hell of a battle at center next year.

KingDavid
8/9/2008, 02:11 PM
Wonder what the real story is... especially since Lester the Molester does not exactly have a reputation for kicking people out of the program.. hell.. Perriliar had to practically rape a 95 year old, invalid grandmother before Lester booted him.

Glad you brought that up, Lid. I had been meaning to ask: how's your wife doing now? Is she back on her feet?

Rogue
8/9/2008, 02:20 PM
Phil Loadholt is a hard guy to root for. One play he flattens a double team and the next, after 3 false starts, he gets beat by an undersized 2nd stringer.

sooneron
8/11/2008, 09:07 AM
Looks like someone forgot OU has a starting offensive lineman that did not have academic credentials to get into LSU. :confused:

Well, LSU IS the Harvard of Western Louisiana. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
8/11/2008, 11:00 AM
Glad you brought that up, Lid. I had been meaning to ask: how's your wife doing now? Is she back on her walker yet?

Had to fix that to obtain the maximum comedic effect.

Deek.. the problem you have is that Ryan Perriliar had to practically burn down the LSU library (thus destroying decades of highly respected coloring books) before Lester said, "Basta.. enough is enough!"

Jason White's Third Knee
8/11/2008, 11:07 AM
So was Perrilloux.

But his first name was Ryan, so he didn't SOUND black. That probably threw Les off.