PDA

View Full Version : Mike Balogun

douxpaysan
8/7/2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080807_92_B7_hTrans69367

Crimsontothecore
8/7/2008, 05:44 PM
He sounds like a solid guy. I'm sure a guy with work experience and maturity is a breath of fresh air compared to the "Johnny Five Stars"

soonerspudman
8/7/2008, 05:51 PM
Was watching the press conference replays last night, no question both Stoops and BV lit up over this guy. Also kind of interesting, BV was asked if that means RR might move to the outside, BV mangled a bunch of coach-speak but basically said no, RR's injuries limit his ability to only play the middle. The LB plot thickens...

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/7/2008, 06:00 PM
Not that you can tell much from the clips on Soonersports, but I think that LaMont Robinson looks promising too. We may end up with some solid depth at linebacker.

BTW, you can obviously tell that Clayton has been wearing out the weight room in the off season. Hope he can get it done.

picasso
8/7/2008, 06:58 PM
u usin the whole fist doc?

bixby28
8/7/2008, 07:22 PM
Serious battles within the linebacker depth chart this season. Interesting...

swardboy
8/7/2008, 07:22 PM
Eeewwwwwwwwww.......

rainiersooner
8/7/2008, 08:31 PM
"Venables indicated Balogun's playing time this season is still to be determined. Then Venables said, "I'll say this: Up to this point, it's not even close to the comparison of the last junior college guy that we signed. And we have had great success with junior college players over the years. And so I know that some people, because our latest (junior college) experiment didn't go like we all would have liked, are a little bit skeptical. I feel like there is a reason to be excited."

Ouch - would that be a not so subtle jab at Mike Reed?!

47straight
8/7/2008, 09:13 PM
Johnyy Fivestar - love it.

NormanPride
8/8/2008, 09:44 AM
Ouch - would that be a not so subtle jab at Mike Reed?!

If so, that's uncalled for. Reed had family priorities.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/8/2008, 09:49 AM
He sounds like a solid guy. I'm sure a guy with work experience and maturity is a breath of fresh air compared to the "Johnny Five Stars"

Read: Rhett 5 Stars

HateTheWhorns
8/8/2008, 10:09 AM
If so, that's uncalled for. Reed had family priorities.

Family priorities? What am I missing?

I played college ball and had married teammates with children. They
ALL somehow managed to go to class, play football, pay bills, and be a father and husband.

Are there special circumstances in his situation that I am not aware of?

Just curious.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 10:25 AM
I don't know Reed's exact situation so I could be totally off the mark here and if so I apologize, but it would seem to me that a really excellent way of taking care of one's family would be to use that God-given talent to be a stud LBer at a major university such as OU and translate that into millions of NFL dollars.

If something in his situation precluded this from happening then my bad.

JohnnyMack
8/8/2008, 10:41 AM

...moooon river......

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/8/2008, 11:39 AM

Deeeeeeeeeep Riiiiiivverrrr. Classic.

Sorry for the dupe.

Widescreen
8/8/2008, 11:49 AM
Wasn't Reed's wife having health problems or something?

MojoRisen
8/8/2008, 11:52 AM
I don't know Reed's exact situation so I could be totally off the mark here and if so I apologize, but it would seem to me that a really excellent way of taking care of one's family would be to use that God-given talent to be a stud LBer at a major university such as OU and translate that into millions of NFL dollars.

If something in his situation precluded this from happening then my bad.

I think his wife got sick and his family wasn't local that put a strain on him. OU was pissed because they did not know he was having any families issues with comming to OU. too bad- he looked like an animal when he nailed patrick in the spring game on the first play and caused a fumble.

Curly Bill
8/8/2008, 11:58 AM
I think his wife got sick and his family wasn't local that put a strain on him. OU was pissed because they did not know he was having any families issues with comming to OU. too bad- he looked like an animal when he nailed patrick in the spring game on the first play and caused a fumble.

I knew his wife was ill but I couldn't recall why that kept him from playing.

I think it's very commendable he's taking care of family. Too bad he couldn't cash in on his football ability to have more $$$ to do that with. But...if he's doing what needs to be done and is happy with his decision, then so am I.

adoniijahsooner
8/8/2008, 12:38 PM
Ive been saying forever that MB will be the starting middle linebacker before the season is over, and the little I have seen on soonersports.com just confirms what I feel

IronHorseSooner
8/9/2008, 08:27 AM
Balogun seems like the hammer we need in the middle. He's 6'2", 250, and is solid. He could be the sleeper in this entire class. With Clayton on one side, and Box/Lewis/Bryant on the other, this LB corps could be a lot better than anyone expected. :cool:

soonerfan28
8/9/2008, 02:14 PM
Venables seems to love Reynolds so much that I can't see him not playing him, so maybe they give Balogun a shot at WLB with the other 10 LB's.

stoopified
8/9/2008, 05:40 PM
Mike Reed HAD to quit the team last year to take care of his wife and family.Because he was on scholly he was limited in what he could earn and his family fell into the cracks of state/fedral assistance programs.Last I heard after that was that his wife was OK and he would return to the team.Then it was announced that he was leaving the team,I have no idea what the exact cause or causes are but would guess family issues.To my knowledge he has NOT TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER SCHOOL I wish Mike and his family the best.It is a crying shame NCAA rules prevented him from recieving the help he needed from willing Sooner fans.

MojoRisen
8/9/2008, 05:44 PM
Balogun was working out with the first team at Weakside Backer ahead of Box and Lewis. Also stoops compared Ryan Broyles to Marc Clayton apparently he got off on Friday's Practice.

Did anyone catch the practice or have seen Broyles Play? Sounds like he is going to be our next stud reciever.

adoniijahsooner
8/10/2008, 08:00 AM
Venables seems to love Reynolds so much that I can't see him not playing him, so maybe they give Balogun a shot at WLB with the other 10 LB's.

This bothers me to no end; I know Reynolds may be a warrior with a good attitude, and he may know alll of the assignments, but if he cant get to point a to point b on time all that knowledge just equals rubbish.

okienole3
8/10/2008, 09:04 AM

Not so.

Charla
8/10/2008, 11:11 AM
Well I hope BV pulls his head out on a more consistent basis this year. As we all know we seemed to SUCK on defense from time to time.

VA Sooner
8/10/2008, 11:34 AM
Glad the two JUCO guys are on campus now... anyone seen them in action yet?

soonerfan28
8/10/2008, 02:59 PM
Not so.
How do you figure? BV talks about how great Reynolds is at every opportunity. If the guy is really running as slow as many speculate and the point is or should be to get faster on defense then they are wasting time with him in the middle. If Balogun is as good as they say he's been then let him get the snaps with the first team in the middle.

goingoneight
8/10/2008, 11:15 PM
Well I hope BV pulls his head out on a more consistent basis this year. As we all know we seemed to SUCK on defense from time to time.

Not that the players have anything to do with messing up or anything. :rolleyes:

sooneron
8/11/2008, 08:38 AM
Not that the players have anything to do with messing up or anything. :rolleyes:

NO, it was ALL BV's fault!:mad:

All of it.

I mean it.

srsly

all

his

fault!

:mad: :mad: